Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: RIKEN Brain Science Institute
- Stem cell-like cancer cells in cancer cell linesToru Kondo
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Cancer Biomark 3:245-50. 2007..In this review I summarize the recent progress in CSC research using cancer cell lines...
- Epigenetic alchemy for cell fate conversionToru Kondo
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Curr Opin Genet Dev 16:502-7. 2006..Thus, epigenetic research might generate the alchemy required to convert any non-neural stem cells into functional neural stem cells, which are few and difficult to extract from the adult central nervous system...
- Brain cancer stem-like cellsToru Kondo
Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
Eur J Cancer 42:1237-42. 2006..The purified cancer stem-like cells, but not the other cancer cells, self-renew and form tumours when transplanted in vivo. Thus, cancer stem-like cells in brain tumours might be a crucial target for anti-brain tumour therapy...
- Combination of a ptgs2 inhibitor and an epidermal growth factor receptor-signaling inhibitor prevents tumorigenesis of oligodendrocyte lineage-derived glioma-initiating cellsTakuichiro Hide
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, Kobe, Japan
Stem Cells 29:590-9. 2011..Together, these findings suggest that GBM can arise from either OPCs or NSCs and that the therapeutic targets for GBM might be different, depending on each GIC's cell-of-origin...
- Essential role of the Hedgehog signaling pathway in human glioma-initiating cellsTatsuya Takezaki
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe, Japan
Cancer Sci 102:1306-12. 2011..Taken together, these results show that the Hedgehog→ Gli→Cdc2 signaling cascade plays a role in the proliferation and malignancy of glioma-initiating cells...
- Sox11 prevents tumorigenesis of glioma-initiating cells by inducing neuronal differentiationTakuichiro Hide
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe, Japan
Cancer Res 69:7953-9. 2009..Together with the clinical evidence showing that downregulation of sox11 mRNA correlates with a significant decrease in survival, these findings suggest that Sox11 prevents gliomagenesis by blocking the expression of oncogenic plagl1...
- DNA methyltransferase 1 is essential for initiation of the colon cancersRena Morita
Department of Pathology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1 West 17, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8556, Japan
Exp Mol Pathol 94:322-9. 2013..Taken together, these results indicate that DNMT1 is essential for maintenance of colon CSCs/CICs and that short-term suppression of DNMT1 might be sufficient to disrupt CSCs/CICs...
- [Common mechanism underlying oligodendrocyte development and oligodendrogliomagenesis]Toru Kondo
RIKKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Brain Nerve 61:741-51. 2009..In this review, I summarize the mechanism of oligodendrocyte development and present how the oligodendrocyte research can help to understand and to investigate the mechanism of oligodendroglioma development...
- Mouse induced glioma-initiating cell models and therapeutic targetsToru Kondo
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe, Japan
Anticancer Agents Med Chem 10:471-80. 2010..These findings suggest that Sox11 and Plagl1 work as a tumor suppressor and oncogene, respectively, in GBM and are potential therapeutic targets...
- Efficiency of G2/M-related tumor-associated antigen-targeting cancer immunotherapy depends on antigen expression in the cancer stem-like populationTakashi Mori
Department of Pathology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, South 1 West 17, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8556, Japan
Exp Mol Pathol 92:27-32. 2012..These observations indicate that expression in the CSC/CIC population is essential to achieve tumor regression and that fusing antigens to the N-terminal region of Hsp90 enhances the anti-tumor effect...
- Gli2 is a novel regulator of sox2 expression in telencephalic neuroepithelial cellsHiromi Takanaga
Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, Kobe, Japan
Stem Cells 27:165-74. 2009..Thus these data reveal a novel transcriptional cascade, involving Gli2 --> Sox2 --> Hes5, which maintains the undifferentiated state of telencephalic NE cells...
- Brain tumor stem cells as research and treatment targetsTakuichiro Hide
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 0047, Japan
Brain Tumor Pathol 25:67-72. 2008..Research focused on BTSCs as treatment targets may contribute to the discovery of new therapeutic strategies...
- Esophageal cancer-related gene 4 is a secreted inducer of cell senescence expressed by aged CNS precursor cellsYuki Kujuro
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:8259-64. 2010..These results suggest that Ecrg4 is a factor linking neural-cell senescence and aging...
- Nuclear export of OLIG2 in neural stem cells is essential for ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced astrocyte differentiationTakao Setoguchi
Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, E D Adrian Building, Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
J Cell Biol 166:963-8. 2004..We propose that the AKT-stimulated export of OLIG2 from the nucleus of NSCs is essential for the astrocyte differentiation...
- Cancer stem cells persist in many cancer cell linesTakao Setoguchi
University of Cambridge Center for Brain Repair, The E D Adrian Building, Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge, UK
Cell Cycle 3:414-5. 2004..We propose that many cancer cell lines contain a minor subpopulation of stem cells that is enriched in a SP, can be maintained indefinitely in culture, and is crucial for their malignancy...
- [Cancer stem cells in cancer cell lines]Takao Setoguchi
University of Cambridge Center for Brain Repair
Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso 50:1995-2000. 2005
- Inhibition of histone deacetylase activity induces developmental plasticity in oligodendrocyte precursor cellsCostas A Lyssiotis
The Skaggs Institute of Chemical Biology and Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torry Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14982-7. 2007..This series of experiments demonstrates that global histone acetylation, induced by HDAC inhibition, can partially reverse the lineage restriction of OPCs, thereby inducing developmental plasticity...
- Persistence of a small subpopulation of cancer stem-like cells in the C6 glioma cell lineToru Kondo
Department of Cell Fate Modulation, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, 2 2 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:781-6. 2004..We propose that many cancer cell lines contain a minor subpopulation of stem cells that is enriched in an SP, can be maintained indefinitely in culture, and is crucial for their malignancy...
- A potential role for bone morphogenetic protein signalling in glial cell fate determination following adult central nervous system injury in vivoDavid W Hampton
ICORD, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 26:3024-35. 2007..This potential conversion of inhibitory OPCs to type 2 astrocyte-like cells in vivo suggests that endogenous BMPs, unmasked by noggin antagonism, might be exploited to manipulate cell fate following CNS trauma...
- Chromatin remodeling and histone modification in the conversion of oligodendrocyte precursors to neural stem cellsToru Kondo
Medical Research Council Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, Cell Biology Unit, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 18:2963-72. 2004..Our findings suggest that the conversion of OPCs to NSLCs depends on progressive chromatin remodeling, mediated in part by Brca1 and Brm...
- Multiple roles of Id4 in developmental myelination: predicted outcomes and unexpected findingsMireya Marin-Husstege
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Glia 54:285-96. 2006..These data support the role of Id4 as oligodendrocyte differentiation inhibitor with the ability to differentially regulate the expression and subcellular distribution of myelin gene products...
- A role for Noggin in the development of oligodendrocyte precursor cellsToru Kondo
Medical Research Council Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology and Cell Biology Unit and the Biology Department, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Dev Biol 267:242-51. 2004..These findings suggest that BMPs in FCS are largely responsible for the 2A-inducing activity of FCS and that Noggin may normally inhibit the formation of 2As in the developing CNS...
- Id4 is required for the correct timing of neural differentiationLynn Bedford
Institute of Genetics, Queen s Medical Centre, School of Biology, The University of Nottingham, UK
Dev Biol 280:386-95. 2005..Together, these in vivo and in vitro data suggest a crucial role for Id4 in regulating NPC proliferation and differentiation...