Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: RIKEN Brain Science Institute
- Fukuda M. Distinct developmental expression of synaptotagmin I and IX in the mouse brain. Neuroreport. 2006;17:179-82 pubmed..These findings suggest that synaptotagmin IX regulates the transport of certain vesicles in the brain other than synaptic vesicles. ..
- Fukuda M, Mikoshiba K. Synaptotagmin-like protein 1-3: a novel family of C-terminal-type tandem C2 proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;281:1226-33 pubmed..In addition, Slp family proteins are differentially distributed in different mouse tissues and at different developmental stages. ..
- Fukuda M, Itoh T. Slac2-a/melanophilin contains multiple PEST-like sequences that are highly sensitive to proteolysis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22314-21 pubmed..Our findings suggest that protein degradation of Slac2-a is an essential process for proper melanosome distribution in melanocytes. ..
- Fukuda M, Mikoshiba K. A novel alternatively spliced variant of synaptotagmin VI lacking a transmembrane domain. Implications for distinct functions of the two isoforms. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:31428-34 pubmed..These results suggest that Syt VI and Syt VIDeltaTM may play distinct roles in vesicular trafficking. ..
- Fukuda M. Molecular cloning, expression, and characterization of a novel class of synaptotagmin (Syt XIV) conserved from Drosophila to humans. J Biochem. 2003;133:641-9 pubmed
- Fukuda M. Synaptotagmin-like protein (Slp) homology domain 1 of Slac2-a/melanophilin is a critical determinant of GTP-dependent specific binding to Rab27A. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:40118-24 pubmed..Based on these findings, I propose that SHD1 of the Slp and Slac2 families be referred to as RBD27 (Rab-binding domain specific for Rab27 isoforms). ..
- Fukuda M, Kanno E, Yamamoto A. Rabphilin and Noc2 are recruited to dense-core vesicles through specific interaction with Rab27A in PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13065-75 pubmed
- Fukuda M. Alternative splicing in the first alpha-helical region of the Rab-binding domain of Rim regulates Rab3A binding activity: is Rim a Rab3 effector protein during evolution?. Genes Cells. 2004;9:831-42 pubmed..Based on these findings, I propose that the Rab3A-effector function of Rim during secretory vesicle exocytosis is limited to the short form of the mammalian Rim RBD alone. ..
- Fukuda M, Imai A, Nashida T, Shimomura H. Slp4-a/granuphilin-a interacts with syntaxin-2/3 in a Munc18-2-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:39175-84 pubmed..These results suggest that Slp4-a modulates amylase release from parotid acinar cells through interaction with syntaxin-2/3 on the apical plasma membrane. ..
- Fukuda M. Molecular cloning and characterization of human, rat, and mouse synaptotagmin XV. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;306:64-71 pubmed..g., lung and testis) and Syt XV-a C2 domains lack Ca(2+)-dependent phospholipid binding activity, Syt XV-a is classified as a non-neuronal, Ca(2+)-independent Syt. ..
- Fukuda M, Kuroda T. Slac2-c (synaptotagmin-like protein homologue lacking C2 domains-c), a novel linker protein that interacts with Rab27, myosin Va/VIIa, and actin. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:43096-103 pubmed
- Fukuda M, Kanno E, Saegusa C, Ogata Y, Kuroda T. Slp4-a/granuphilin-a regulates dense-core vesicle exocytosis in PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39673-8 pubmed..In contrast, expression of Slp3-a, but not of Slp3-b lacking an N-terminal Rab27A-binding domain, promotes NPY secretion. These findings suggest that the Slp family controls regulated dense-core vesicle exocytosis via binding to Rab27A. ..
- Fukuda M, Ogata Y, Saegusa C, Kanno E, Mikoshiba K. Alternative splicing isoforms of synaptotagmin VII in the mouse, rat and human. Biochem J. 2002;365:173-80 pubmed
- Fukuda M, Kowalchyk J, Zhang X, Martin T, Mikoshiba K. Synaptotagmin IX regulates Ca2+-dependent secretion in PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:4601-4 pubmed..Our results support the idea that Syt family proteins that co-reside on secretory vesicles may function cooperatively and redundantly as potential Ca(2+) sensors for exocytosis. ..
- Fukuda M, Kanno E, Ogata Y, Mikoshiba K. Mechanism of the SDS-resistant synaptotagmin clustering mediated by the cysteine cluster at the interface between the transmembrane and spacer domains. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:40319-25 pubmed
- Fukuda M, Saegusa C, Mikoshiba K. Novel splicing isoforms of synaptotagmin-like proteins 2 and 3: identification of the Slp homology domain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;283:513-9 pubmed..In addition, we show that the Slp2-a/c/d mRNAs are differentially distributed in different mouse tissues and at different stages of development, suggesting that these transcripts may be regulated by different promoters. ..
- Fukuda M, Mikoshiba K. Characterization of KIAA1427 protein as an atypical synaptotagmin (Syt XIII). Biochem J. 2001;354:249-57 pubmed..Since Syt XIII is expressed in various tissues outside the brain, Syt XIII may be involved in constitutive vesicle transport. ..
- Fukuda M, Mikoshiba K. Calcium-dependent and -independent hetero-oligomerization in the synaptotagmin family. J Biochem. 2000;128:637-45 pubmed..Our data suggest that Ca(2+)-dependent and -independent hetero-oligomerization of synaptotagmins may create a variety of Ca(2+)-sensors. ..