- Ingestion of proanthocyanidins derived from cacao inhibits diabetes-induced cataract formation in ratsNaomi Osakabe
Health and Bioscience Laboratory, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda Sakado 350 0289, Japan
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 229:33-9. 2004..Our findings suggest that CLP inhibits diabetes-induced cataract formation possibly by virtue of its antioxidative activity...
- In vitro antioxidative activity of (-)-epicatechin glucuronide metabolites present in human and rat plasmaMidori Natsume
Healthcare R and D Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, Sakado shi, Saitama 350 0289, Japan
Free Radic Res 38:1341-8. 2004..In contrast, the other metabolites had light antioxidative activities over the range of physiological concentrations found in plasma...
- Continuous intake of polyphenolic compounds containing cocoa powder reduces LDL oxidative susceptibility and has beneficial effects on plasma HDL-cholesterol concentrations in humansSeigo Baba
Food and Health R and D Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, Saitama, Japan
Am J Clin Nutr 85:709-17. 2007..Cocoa powder is rich in polyphenols such as catechins and procyanidins and has been shown in various models to inhibit LDL oxidation and atherogenesis...
- Plasma LDL and HDL cholesterol and oxidized LDL concentrations are altered in normo- and hypercholesterolemic humans after intake of different levels of cocoa powderSeigo Baba
Food and Health R and D Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, Saitama, Japan
J Nutr 137:1436-41. 2007..The results suggest that polyphenolic substances derived from cocoa powder may contribute to a reduction in LDL cholesterol, an elevation in HDL cholesterol, and the suppression of oxidized LDL...
- Suppressive effects of cacao liquor polyphenols (CLP) on LDL oxidation and the development of atherosclerosis in Kurosawa and Kusanagi-hypercholesterolemic rabbitsTohru Kurosawa
Toxicology Laboratory, Pharmaceutical Development Department, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 760 Morooka cho, Kohoku Ku, Yokohama 222 8567, Japan
Atherosclerosis 179:237-46. 2005..Therefore, CLP suppressed the generation of atherosclerosis, and its antioxidative effect appeared to have an important role in its anti-atherosclerotic activity...
- Orally administered rosmarinic acid is present as the conjugated and/or methylated forms in plasma, and is degraded and metabolized to conjugated forms of caffeic acid, ferulic acid and m-coumaric acidSeigo Baba
Nutritional Science Center, Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda, Sakado shi, Saitama 350 0289, Japan
Life Sci 75:165-78. 2004....
- Rosmarinic acid inhibits epidermal inflammatory responses: anticarcinogenic effect of Perilla frutescens extract in the murine two-stage skin modelNaomi Osakabe
Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda Sakado 350 0289, Japan
Carcinogenesis 25:549-57. 2004..Thus, we conclude that part of the anticarcinogenic effects of P.frutescens extract is due to RA via two independent mechanisms: inhibition of the inflammatory response and scavenging of reactive oxygen radicals...
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effect of rosmarinic acid (RA); inhibition of seasonal allergic rhinoconjunctivitis (SAR) and its mechanismNaomi Osakabe
Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda Sakado 350 0289, Japan co jp
Biofactors 21:127-31. 2004..In addition, the anti-inflammatory mechanism of RA also estimated in the ear edema models...
- Structures of (-)-epicatechin glucuronide identified from plasma and urine after oral ingestion of (-)-epicatechin: differences between human and ratMidori Natsume
Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, Saitama, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 34:840-9. 2003..The presence of these metabolites in blood and urine suggests that catechins are metabolized and circulated in the body after administration of catechin-containing foods...
- Inhibitory Effects of Conjugated Epicatechin Metabolites on Peroxynitrite-mediated Nitrotyrosine FormationMidori Natsume
Food and Health Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1 Chiyoda, Sakado shi, Saitama 350 0289, Japan
J Clin Biochem Nutr 42:50-3. 2008..4'ME3'G. These results demonstrate that the metabolites of (-)-epicatechin retain antioxidative activity on peroxynitrite-induced oxidative damages to some extent...
- Rosmarinic acid, a major polyphenolic component of Perilla frutescens, reduces lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced liver injury in D-galactosamine (D-GalN)-sensitized miceNaomi Osakabe
Functional Foods Research and Development Laboratory, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, Chiyoda Sakado, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 33:798-806. 2002..These results suggest that the liver protection of RA is due to the scavenging or reducing activities-superoxide or peroxynitirite rather than to inhibition of TNF-alpha production...
- Catechins and their oligomers linked by C4 --> C8 bonds are major cacao polyphenols and protect low-density lipoprotein from oxidation in vitroNaomi Osakabe
Functional Foods Research and Development Laboratory, Meiji Seika Kaisha Ltd, 5 3 1, Chiyoda Sakado 350 0289, Japan
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 227:51-6. 2002..It is suggested that these compounds contribute to the activity of cacao products to protect LDL from oxidation...
- Dietary supplementation with cacao liquor proanthocyanidins prevents elevation of blood glucose levels in diabetic obese miceMakoto Tomaru
Gerodontology, Department of Gerodontology, Division of Gerontology and Gerodontology, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan Environmental Health Sciences Division, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Ibaraki, Japan
Nutrition 23:351-5. 2007..The present study examined whether dietary supplementation with cacao liquor proanthocyanidins (CLPr) could prevent elevation of blood glucose levels in mice with diabetes mellitus and obesity...
- Proanthocyanidin glycosides and related polyphenols from cacao liquor and their antioxidant effectsTsutomu Hatano
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Tsushima, 700, Okayama, Japan
Phytochemistry 59:749-58. 2002..These effects were attributed to the radical-scavenging activity in the peroxidation chain reactions, based on the findings that the cacao polyphenols effectively scavenged the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical...
- Absorption and urinary excretion of procyanidin B2 [epicatechin-(4beta-8)-epicatechin] in ratsSeigo Baba
Nutritional Science Center, Health Laboratory, Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd, Sakado shi, Saitama, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 33:142-8. 2002..Moreover, PB2 reduces the accumulation of lipid peroxide in plasma oxidized by copper ions...
- Pulmonary exposure to diesel exhaust particles enhances fatty change of the liver in obese diabetic miceMakoto Tomaru
Gerodontology, Department of Gerodontology, Division of Gerontology and Gerodontology, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Mol Med 19:17-22. 2007..These results suggest that pulmonary exposure to DEP, PM, enhances steatosis in the liver of obese diabetic subjects possibly via enhanced oxidative stress...
- Effects of cacao liquor proanthocyanidins on PhIP-induced mutagenesis in vitro, and in vivo mammary and pancreatic tumorigenesis in female Sprague-Dawley ratsMegumi Yamagishi
Division of Pathology, National Institute of Health Sciences, 1 18 1 Kamiyoga, Setagaya Ku, 158 8501, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Lett 185:123-30. 2002..These results indicate that CLPr inhibit in vitro mutagenicity of PhIP, as well as rat pancreatic carcinogenesis in the initiation stage, but not mammary carcinogenesis induced by PhIP...
- Suppressive effect of cocoa powder on atherosclerosis in Kurosawa and Kusanagi-hypercholesterolemic rabbitsTohru Kurosawa
Toxicology Laboratory, Pharmaceutical Development Department, Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd, Kanagawa, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 12:20-8. 2005..We consider that antioxidative activity of polyphenols rich in cocoa powder may be a key factor for the anti-atherosclerotic effect...
- Chemoprevention of lung carcinogenesis by cacao liquor proanthocyanidins in a male rat multi-organ carcinogenesis modelMegumi Yamagishi
Division of Pathology, National Institute of Health Sciences, 1 18 1 Kamiyoga, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 158 8501, Japan
Cancer Lett 191:49-57. 2003..No significant modification in the small intestine, colon or kidney was evident. These results indicate that CLPr exerts chemopreventive effects in the lung without any promoting influence in other major organs...
- Rosmarinic acid inhibits lung injury induced by diesel exhaust particlesChiaki Sanbongi
Health and Bioscience Laboratories, Meiji Seika Kaisha, Ltd, Saitama, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 34:1060-9. 2003..These results suggest that rosmarinic acid inhibits DEP-induced lung injury by the reduction of proinflammatory molecule expression. Antioxidative activities of rosmarinic acid may also contribute to its protective effects...