Affiliation: National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences
- Animal cellulasesH Watanabe
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Cell Mol Life Sci 58:1167-78. 2001..To date, cellulase genes have been reported from arthropods (insects and a crayfish) and nematodes. This paper describes and discusses the presence and nature of endogenous cellulases in higher animals...
- New endo-beta-1,4-glucanases from the parabasalian symbionts, Pseudotrichonympha grassii and Holomastigotoides mirabile of Coptotermes termitesH Watanabe
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Cell Mol Life Sci 59:1983-92. 2002..cDNAs encoding putative EGs homologous to GHF7 members were then identified. The functionality of one of the putative proteins was confirmed by its expression in Escherichia coli...
- Cellulolytic systems in insectsHirofumi Watanabe
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Owashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Annu Rev Entomol 55:609-32. 2010....
- Symbiotic "Archaezoa" of the primitive termite Mastotermes darwiniensis still play a role in cellulase productionHirofumi Watanabe
National Institute of Agrobiological Science, 1 2 Owashi, Tsukuba 305 8634, Japan
Eukaryot Cell 5:1571-6. 2006..Eukaryot. Cell 2:1091-1098, 2003), the hindgut protozoan fauna of M. darwiniensis actively produce cellulases, which play an important role in cellulose digestion of the host termite...
- Purification and partial genome characterization of the bacterial endosymbiont Blattabacterium cuenoti from the fat bodies of cockroachesGaku Tokuda
Center of Molecular Biosciences COMB, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara, Okinawa 903 0213, Japan
BMC Res Notes 1:118. 2008..In the present study, we describe a simple method of endosymbiont purification from complex environment, using Blattabacterium cuenoti inhabiting in cockroaches as a model system...
- Evidence for the presence of a cellulase gene in the last common ancestor of bilaterian animalsNathan Lo
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Owashi, Tsukuba 305 8634, Japan
Proc Biol Sci 270:S69-72. 2003..Overall, our results suggest that at least one family of endogenous cellulases may be more widespread in animals than previously thought...
- Random exchanges of non-conserved amino acid residues among four parental termite cellulases by family shuffling improved thermostabilityJinfeng Ni
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Owashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Protein Eng Des Sel 20:535-42. 2007..In summary, we improved thermostability of the termite cellulase and increased the V(max) value and specific activity by combining only cDNAs encoding enzymes adapted for normal temperatures...
- Heterologous overexpression of a mutant termite cellulase gene in Escherichia coli by DNA shuffling of four orthologous parental cDNAsJinfeng Ni
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Owashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:1711-20. 2005..coli harboring the mutant genes was 20-30 fold higher than that of wild-type genes. The mutant enzyme showed high activity against CMC and properties similar to those of the native enzymes...
- Purification, characterization, cDNA cloning and nucleotide sequencing of a cellulase from the yellow-spotted longicorn beetle, Psacothea hilarisMasahiro Sugimura
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ibaraki, Japan
Eur J Biochem 270:3455-60. 2003..hilaris cellulase showed high homology to members of glycosyl hydrolase family 5 subfamily 2, and, in addition, a signature sequence for family 5 was found. Thus, this is the first report of a family 5 cellulase from arthropods...
- Evidence for cocladogenesis between diverse dictyopteran lineages and their intracellular endosymbiontsNathan Lo
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Japan
Mol Biol Evol 20:907-13. 2003..The results support the idea that the stem group of modern cockroaches radiated sometime between the late Jurassic and early Cretaceous-not the Carboniferous, as has been suggested on the basis of roach-like fossils from this epoch...
- Inconspicuous matured males of worker form are produced in orphaned colonies of Reticulitermes speratus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) and participate in reproductionAi Fujita
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Insect Microbe Research Unit, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Insect Physiol 56:1510-5. 2010..The presence of the female ergatoid (one type of female neotenic) did not induce the production of inconspicuous reproductive males during the 12-week experiment time...