Affiliation: National Institute of Infectious Diseases
- Required muscle mass for preventing lifestyle-related diseases in Japanese womenMasae Miyatani
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
BMC Public Health 8:291. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine and quantify the muscle mass required to maintain the Vo2max reference values in Japanese women...
- Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent exercisesI Tabata
Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kanoya City, Japan
Med Sci Sports Exerc 29:390-5. 1997..kg-1.min-1) was lower than the VO2max (P < 0.01). In conclusion, this study showed that intermittent exercise defined by the IE1 protocol may tax both the anaerobic and aerobic energy releasing systems almost maximally...
- Resistance training affects GLUT-4 content in skeletal muscle of humans after 19 days of head-down bed restI Tabata
Laboratory of Exercise Physiology, Division of Health Promotion, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Shinjuku City, Tokyo 162 8636, Japan
J Appl Physiol 86:909-14. 1999..The present study demonstrated that GLUT-4 in VL muscle decreased by approximately 16% after 19 days of bed rest, and isometric resistance training during bed rest induced a 30% increase above the value of GLUT-4 before bed rest...
- Effects of high-intensity swimming training on GLUT-4 and glucose transport activity in rat skeletal muscleS Terada
Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kanoya City, Kagoshima 891-2393, Japan
J Appl Physiol 90:2019-24. 2001....
- Physical activity level in healthy free-living Japanese estimated by doubly labelled water method and International Physical Activity QuestionnaireK Ishikawa-Takata
Health Promotion and Exercise Program, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:885-91. 2008....
- A dose-response relation between aerobic exercise and visceral fat reduction: systematic review of clinical trialsK Ohkawara
Health Promotion and Exercise Program, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:1786-97. 2007..The purpose of this study was to systematically review the current literature to establish whether reduction of visceral fat by aerobic exercise has a dose-response relationship...
- Effect of hand paddles on anaerobic energy release during supramaximal swimmingF Ogita
Swimming Performance Laboratory, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kanoya, Kagashima, Japan
Med Sci Sports Exerc 31:729-35. 1999....
- Interindividual variability in sleeping metabolic rate in Japanese subjectsA A Ganpule
Health Promotion and Exercise Program, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1 23 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:1256-61. 2007..An accurate prediction of BMR or SMR is needed to accurately predict total EE or physical activity EE for each individual. However, large variability in BMR and SMR has been reported...
- Effects of high-intensity intermittent swimming on PGC-1alpha protein expression in rat skeletal muscleS Terada
Division of Health Promotion and Exercise, Incorporated Administrative Agency, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, Toyama, Shinjuku City, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Physiol Scand 184:59-65. 2005..Further, HIE is a potent stimulus for enhancing the expression of PGC-1alpha protein, which may induce mitochondrial biogenesis in exercise-activated skeletal muscle...