Affiliation: National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences
- Mitochondrial genomics of ostariophysan fishes: perspectives on phylogeny and biogeographyKenji Saitoh
Tohoku National Fisheries Research Institute, Shinhama, Shiogama 985 0001, Japan
J Mol Evol 56:464-72. 2003..This helps to explain the present geographic distribution of characiphysans...
- Evolutionary history of Otophysi (Teleostei), a major clade of the modern freshwater fishes: Pangaean origin and Mesozoic radiationMasanori Nakatani
Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, 5 1 5Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa shi, Chiba 277 8564, Japan
BMC Evol Biol 11:177. 2011..To gain insight into the history of otophysan diversification, we constructed a timetree based on whole mitogenome sequences across 110 species representing 55 of the 64 families...
- Extensive hybridization and tetrapolyploidy in spined loach fishKenji Saitoh
National Research Institute of Fisheries Science, Fukuura, Kanazawa, Yokohama 236 8648, Japan
Mol Phylogenet Evol 56:1001-10. 2010..striata has nuclear alleles of both C. biwae and C. striata and mtDNA of C. biwae. It is an allotetraploid with C. biwae as the mother. Our analyses also reveal an onset of genome reshaping after the allotetraploidization...
- Reducing cloning artifacts for recovery of allelic sequences by T7 endonuclease I cleavage and single re-extension of PCR products--a benchmarkKenji Saitoh
Tohoku National Fisheries Research Institute, Shinhama, Shiogama 985 0001 Japan
Gene 423:92-5. 2008..Because re-extension in a diluted reaction mixture is quick, inexpensive and effective, it is advisable to use this procedure for recovery of chromosomal alleles with PCR cloning...
- Mitotic and meiotic analyses of the 'large race' of Cobitis striata, a polyploid spined loach of hybrid originKenji Saitoh
Tohoku National Fisheries Research Institute, Shinhama, Shiogama, Japan
Folia Biol (Krakow) 51:101-5. 2003..Quadrivalent formation with chiasmata indicates the presence of homologous segments capable of crossing-over between two genomes. Thus, the general polyploid model is also applicable to this case of polyploidy...
- Mitochondrial gene introgression between spined loaches via hybridogenesisKenji Saitoh
Tohoku National Fisheries Research Institute, Shinharam, Shiogama 985 0001, Japan
Zoolog Sci 21:795-8. 2004..hankugensis sperm. If the hybrid carries C. longicorpus mitochondrial genome, the regenerated C. hankugensis is a nucleo-cytoplasmic hybrid, thus accomplishing the unusual mode of mitochondrial gene introgression...
- Nonsynonymous site heteroplasmy in fish mitochondrial DNAYuya Shigenobu
Department of Fisheries Science, Kitasato University, Ofunato, Iwate, Japan
Genes Genet Syst 80:297-301. 2005..The heteroplasmic site was at the 2nd position of 450th codon. We also verified heteroplasmy at these sites by sequencing cloned fragments...
- Molecular systematics of the gonorynchiform fishes (Teleostei) based on whole mitogenome sequences: implications for higher-level relationships within the OtocephalaSébastien Lavoué
Department of Marine Bioscience, Ocean Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, Nakano Ku, Japan
Mol Phylogenet Evol 37:165-77. 2005..This result challenges the value of reductive or absent characters as synapomorphies in this group...
- Phylogenetic relationships of Danio within the order Cypriniformes: a framework for comparative and evolutionary studies of a model speciesRichard L Mayden
Department of Biology, 3507 Laclede Avenue, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri 63103, USA
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 308:642-54. 2007..Danio rerio is sister to D. kyathit among the species of Danio evaluated in this analysis. Microrasbora and Rasbora are non-monophyletic assemblages; however, Boraras is monophyletic...
- Phylogenetic utility of two existing and four novel nuclear gene loci in reconstructing Tree of Life of ray-finned fishes: the order Cypriniformes (Ostariophysi) as a case studyWei Jen Chen
Department of Biology, Saint Louis University, 3507 Laclede Avenue, St Louis, MO 63103 2010, USA
Gene 423:125-34. 2008..Phylogenetic performance of each gene, as well as their implications in the investigation of the evolution of cypriniform fishes were assessed and discussed...
- Phylogenetic relationships among anchovies, sardines, herrings and their relatives (Clupeiformes), inferred from whole mitogenome sequencesSébastien Lavoué
Department of Marine Bioscience, Ocean Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, 1 15 1 Minamidai, Tokyo, Japan
Mol Phylogenet Evol 43:1096-105. 2007..Instead, our mitogenomic data provide strong support for new clades within the Clupeidae, some of which are composed of members of more than one of the previously accepted subfamilies...
- Origin and dispersal of bluegill sunfish, Lepomis macrochirus, in Japan and KoreaKouichi Kawamura
Faculty of Bioresources, Mie University, Tsu, Japan
Mol Ecol 15:613-21. 2006....