Affiliation: National Center for Child Health and Development
- Katagiri S, Yokoi T, Mikami M, Nishina S, Azuma N. Outer retinal deformity detected by optical coherence tomography in eyes with foveal hypoplasia. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2016;254:2197-2201 pubmed..There was greater foveal immaturity in eyes with foveal hypoplasia with aniridia compared with foveal hypoplasia as an isolated entity. ..
- Yokoi T, Nakayama Y, Nishina S, Azuma N. Abnormal traction of the vitreous detected by swept-source optical coherence tomography is related to the maculopathy associated with optic disc pits. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2016;254:675-82 pubmed publisher..The visual acuity improved in all four eyes. Abnormal traction of the vitreous due to an abnormality of the vitreoretinal interface, which may be strengthened by the development of a PPVP, generates the maculopathy associated with ODP. ..
- Nakayama Y, Katagiri S, Yokoi T, Ui M, Nishina S, Azuma N. Successful scleral buckling of late-onset visual decrease in eye with retinal folds. Doc Ophthalmol. 2016;133:145-149 pubmed....
- Yoshida Uemura T, Katagiri S, Yokoi T, Nishina S, Azuma N. Different foveal schisis patterns in each retinal layer in eyes with hereditary juvenile retinoschisis evaluated by en-face optical coherence tomography. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017;255:719-723 pubmed publisher..Our results using en-face OCT imaging clarified different patterns of schisis formation among the GCL, INL, and OPL, which lead to further recognition of structure in hereditary juvenile retinoschisis. ..
- Ozawa H, Yamane M, Inoue E, Yoshida Uemura T, Katagiri S, Yokoi T, et al. Long-term surgical outcome of conventional trabeculotomy for childhood glaucoma. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2017;61:237-244 pubmed publisher..Most eyes with PCG are treatable with a maximum of three trabeculotomies. However, SCG usually is refractory to trabeculotomy, and a more promising surgery must be designed. ..
- Azuma N, Yamaguchi Y, Handa H, Tadokoro K, Asaka A, Kawase E, et al. Mutations of the PAX6 gene detected in patients with a variety of optic-nerve malformations. Am J Hum Genet. 2003;72:1565-70 pubmed..Because PAX2 gene mutations were detected in papillorenal syndrome, alternation of PAX2 function by PAX6 mutations may affect phenotypic manifestations of optic-nerve malformations. ..
- Azuma N, Tadokoro K, Asaka A, Yamada M, Yamaguchi Y, Handa H, et al. The Pax6 isoform bearing an alternative spliced exon promotes the development of the neural retinal structure. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:735-45 pubmed..We propose that Pax6(+5a) induces a developmental cascade in the prospective fovea, area centralis or visual streak region that leads to the formation of a retinal architecture bearing densely packed visual cells. ..
- Azuma N, Tadokoro K, Asaka A, Yamada M, Yamaguchi Y, Handa H, et al. Transdifferentiation of the retinal pigment epithelia to the neural retina by transfer of the Pax6 transcriptional factor. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:1059-68 pubmed..Our results provide an evidence of retinogenic potential of nearly mature RPE and a cue for new therapeutic approaches to regenerate functional NR in patients with a visual loss. ..
- Takahashi M, Yokoi T, Katagiri S, Yoshida Uemura T, Nishina S, Azuma N. Surgical treatments for fibrous tissue extending to the posterior retina in eyes with familial exudative vitreoretinopathy. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2018;62:63-67 pubmed publisher..Vitrectomy with focal removal and segmentation of the FT in the posterior pole might be a good surgical option in such eyes. ..
- Yokoi T, Tanaka T, Matsuzaka E, Tamalu F, Watanabe S, Nishina S, et al. Effects of neuroactive agents on axonal growth and pathfinding of retinal ganglion cells generated from human stem cells. Sci Rep. 2017;7:16757 pubmed publisher..It may also be useful for observing the physiology of the optic nerve in vitro, which might lead to significant progress in the science of human RGCs. ..