Affiliation: Kyushu University
- Imbalance of predator and prey armament: geographic clines in phenotypic interface and natural selectionHirokazu Toju
Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Am Nat 167:105-17. 2006....
- Phylogeography and the geographic cline in the armament of a seed-predatory weevil: effects of historical events vs. natural selection from the host plantHirokazu Toju
Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Mol Ecol 15:4161-73. 2006..Thus, our study suggests the overwhelming strength of coevolutionary selection against the effect of historical events, which may have limited local adaptation...
- Adaptive divergence of scaling relationships mediates the arms race between a weevil and its host plantHirokazu Toju
Laboratory of Ecology Science, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
Biol Lett 2:539-42. 2006..Our results provide a novel example of a geographically diverged scaling relationship in an insect morphology resulting from a coevolutionary arms race with its host plant...
- Metapopulation structure of a seed-predator weevil and its host plant in arms race coevolutionHirokazu Toju
Division of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Evolution 65:1707-22. 2011..Consequently, by focusing on coevolutionary interactions in natural communities, "indirect" effects of gene flow on the adaptive divergence of organisms could be identified...
- Arms race between weevil rostrum length and camellia pericarp thickness: Geographical cline and theoryNaoyuki Iseki
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University Graduate School, Fukuoka 812 8581, Japan
J Theor Biol 285:1-9. 2011..American Naturalist 167, 105-117). The nonlinearity (exponent) for the cost of rostrum length estimated from the geographical cline data for the weevil-camellia system was 2.2, suggesting nonlinearity between quadratic and cubic forms...
- Climatic gradients of arms race coevolutionHirokazu Toju
Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo, Japan
Am Nat 177:562-73. 2011....
- Fine-scale local adaptation of weevil mouthpart length and camellia pericarp thickness: altitudinal gradient of a putative arms raceHirokazu Toju
Laboratory of Ecology Science, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Evolution 62:1086-102. 2008....
- Diversification of endosymbiosis: replacements, co-speciation and promiscuity of bacteriocyte symbionts in weevilsHirokazu Toju
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukuba, Japan
ISME J 7:1378-90. 2013..Comparison of these newcomer bacteriocyte-associated symbiont lineages highlights potential evolutionary trajectories and consequences of novel symbionts after independent replacements of the same ancient symbiont. ..