Affiliation: Psychosomatic medicine
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
1. Clinical studies about eating disorders.
2. The effect that malnutrition state causes to mind and body function.
The effect that malnutrition state causes to mind and body function.
2011-2014: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
Undernutrition and gene expression
2009-2012: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
Appetite-related peptide and mood
2007-2010: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
Association between environmental endocrine disrupter and behavior, mood
2002-2004: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
- Kawai K, Enomoto T, Fornasier V, Resetkova E, Volpe R. Differential effects of human interferon alpha and interferon gamma on xenografted human thyroid tissue in severe combined immunodeficient mice and nude mice. Proc Assoc Am Physicians. 1997;109:126-35 pubmed..Finally, IFN-gamma has a direct effect on thyrocytes to increase HLA-DR expression (and, in vitro, ICAM-1 expression) but may not stimulate TAb production. ..
- Amemiya N, Takii M, Hata T, Morita C, Takakura S, Oshikiri K, et al. The outcome of Japanese anorexia nervosa patients treated with an inpatient therapy in an internal medicine unit. Eat Weight Disord. 2012;17:e1-8 pubmed publisher..This study shows the potential for the use of this method for the treatment of AN patients in countries without specialized eating disorder units. ..
- Kawai K, Resetkova E, Enomoto T, Fornasier V, Volpe R. Is human leukocyte antigen-DR and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 expression on human thyrocytes constitutive in papillary thyroid cancer? Comparative studies in human thyroid xenografts in severe combined immunodeficient and nude mice. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998;83:157-64 pubmed..ICAM-1 expression on TEC from PTC seems to be entirely constitutive, and it is not affected by the presence of local lymphocytes, in contrast to autoimmune thyroid disease. ..
- Komaki G, Matsumoto Y, Nishikata H, Kawai K, Nozaki T, Takii M, et al. Orexin-A and leptin change inversely in fasting non-obese subjects. Eur J Endocrinol. 2001;144:645-51 pubmed..Peripheral orexin-A and leptin concentrations inversely change during fasting, which is significantly correlated with energy metabolism in humans. ..
- Kawai K, Nozaki T, Nishikata H, Aou S, Takii M, Kubo C. Aggressive behavior and serum testosterone concentration during the maturation process of male mice: the effects of fetal exposure to bisphenol A. Environ Health Perspect. 2003;111:175-8 pubmed..The mechanism activating this aggressive behavior was not elevated testosterone concentration. ..
- Nozaki T, Takao M, Takakura S, Koreeda Arimura C, Ishido K, Yamada Y, et al. Psychopathological features of patients with prolonged anorexia nervosa as assessed by the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Eat Weight Disord. 2006;11:59-65 pubmed..AN patients whose illness duration was prolonged characteristically had more hysteria with family conflict. This should be considered in their treatment. ..
- Takii M, Nosaki T, Kawai K, Ishido K, Arimura C, Amemiya N, et al. [Cognitive-behavioral therapy of behavior restriction for patients with anorexia nervosa]. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2006;108:724-9 pubmed
- Arimura C, Nozaki T, Takakura S, Kawai K, Takii M, Sudo N, et al. Predictors of menstrual resumption by patients with anorexia nervosa. Eat Weight Disord. 2010;15:e226-33 pubmed publisher..To investigate which factors predict the resumption of menstruation by patients with anorexia nervosa (AN)...
- Nozaki T, Motoyama S, Arimura T, Morita C, Koreeda Arimura C, Kawai K, et al. Psychopathological features of anorectic patients who dropped out of inpatient treatment as assessed by the Minnesota multiphasic personality inventory. Biopsychosoc Med. 2007;1:15 pubmed..Treatments based on cognitive behavioral therapy with a behavior protocol governing privileges should be carefully adopted for anorectic patients who exhibit the psychopathological elements identified in this study. ..
- Kawai K, Yamanaka T, Yamashita S, Gondo M, Morita C, Arimura C, et al. Somatic and psychological factors related to the body mass index of patients with anorexia nervosa. Eat Weight Disord. 2008;13:198-204 pubmed..375, p=0.046), but was not associated with any other factor by multiple regression analysis. The results suggest that desacyl ghrelin and maturity fears play important roles in the prolonged malnutrition state seen in AN patients. ..
- Nozaki T, Morita C, Matsubayashi S, Ishido K, Yokoyama H, Kawai K, et al. Relation between psychosocial variables and the glycemic control of patients with type 2 diabetes: a cross-sectional and prospective study. Biopsychosoc Med. 2009;3:4 pubmed publisher..The DTSQ and the PAID predicted both current and future HbA1c to a similar and significant degree in patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Yamashita S, Kawai K, Yamanaka T, Inoo T, Yokoyama H, Morita C, et al. BMI, body composition, and the energy requirement for body weight gain in patients with anorexia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2010;43:365-71 pubmed publisher..037, p = .055, respectively). The energy requirements for weight gain in AN patients are related to the initial FM and BMI. ..
- Resetkova E, Kawai K, Enomoto T, Arreaza G, Togun R, Foy T, et al. Antibody to gp39, the ligand for CD40 significantly inhibits the humoral response from Graves' thyroid tissues xenografted into severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mice. Thyroid. 1996;6:267-73 pubmed..In spite of a profound immunosuppressive effect on the humoral response by directly blocking CD40-gp39 interactions in vivo, this did not result in complete deletion of the responding Th in the thyroid specimens. ..
- Kawai K, Yamashita S, Yamanaka T, Gondo M, Morita C, Nozaki T, et al. The longitudinal BMI pattern and body composition of patients with anorexia nervosa who require urgent hospitalization: A case control study. Biopsychosoc Med. 2011;5:14 pubmed publisher..01). Between the groups, no considerable difference in social factors was found. The longitudinal pattern of BMI and FFM may be useful for understanding the severity in AN from the viewpoint of failure of the homeostasis system. ..
- Takii M, Uchigata Y, Kishimoto J, Morita C, Hata T, Nozaki T, et al. The relationship between the age of onset of type 1 diabetes and the subsequent development of a severe eating disorder by female patients. Pediatr Diabetes. 2011;12:396-401 pubmed publisher..066, p < 0.011). The development of type 1 diabetes in preadolescence or adolescence seems to place girls at risk for the subsequent development of AN or BN. Careful attention should be paid to these high-risk patients. ..
- Kawai K, Murakami S, Senba E, Yamanaka T, Fujiwara Y, Arimura C, et al. Changes in estrogen receptors alpha and beta expression in the brain of mice exposed prenatally to bisphenol A. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2007;47:166-70 pubmed..Exposure to bisphenol A may have changed the expression of ERs in the brain, but did not directly affect serotonin neurons in the DRN. ..
- Takakura S, Nozaki T, Nomura Y, Koreeda C, Urabe H, Kawai K, et al. Factors related to renal dysfunction in patients with anorexia nervosa. Eat Weight Disord. 2006;11:73-7 pubmed..580, p<0.001). Renal function should be carefully followed during the treatment of AN patients with a long duration of illness, especially those with long-term laxative abuse. ..
- Yue S, Enomoto T, Matsumoto Y, Kawai K, Volpe R. Thyrocyte class I and class II upregulation is a secondary phenomenon and does not contribute to the pathogenesis of autoimmune thyroid disease. Thyroid. 1998;8:755-63 pubmed....
- Togun R, Resetkova E, Kawai K, Enomoto T, Volpe R. Activation of CD8+ T lymphocytes in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1997;82:243-9 pubmed..Since CD8+ cells have been shown to contain suppressor activity, our data support the notion that a disease-specific defect in GAD65 autoantigenic induction of suppressor T lymphocytes may be important in the pathogenesis of IDDM. ..
- Kawai K, Tamai H, Matsubayashi S, Mukuta T, Morita T, Kubo C, et al. A study of untreated Graves' patients with undetectable TSH binding inhibitor immunoglobulins and the effect of anti-thyroid drugs. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1995;43:551-6 pubmed....
- Kawai K, Nakashima M, Kojima M, Yamashita S, Takakura S, Shimizu M, et al. Ghrelin activation and neuropeptide Y elevation in response to medium chain triglyceride administration in anorexia nervosa patients. Clin Nutr ESPEN. 2017;17:100-104 pubmed publisher..This study clearly demonstrated that MCT activates ghrelin and increases NPY, suggesting that nutritional supplementation with MCT may be effective for the treatment of AN patients in an emaciated state. ..