Genomes and Genes
Sho ichi Yamagishi
Affiliation: Kurume University School of Medicine
- Matsui T, Nishino Y, Ojima A, Maeda S, Tahara N, Yamagishi S. Pigment epithelium-derived factor improves metabolic derangements and ameliorates dysregulation of adipocytokines in obese type 2 diabetic rats. Am J Pathol. 2014;184:1094-1103 pubmed publisher..PEDF levels may be elevated as a countersystem against obesity-related metabolic derangements. ..
- Yamagishi S. Potential clinical utility of advanced glycation end product cross-link breakers in age- and diabetes-associated disorders. Rejuvenation Res. 2012;15:564-72 pubmed publisher..This article summarizes the potential clinical utility of AGE cross-link breakers in the prevention and management of age- and diabetes-associated disorders. ..
- Yamagishi S, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Inoue H. Pigment epithelium-derived factor is a pericyte mitogen secreted by microvascular endothelial cells: possible participation of angiotensin II-elicited PEDF downregulation in diabetic retinopathy. Int J Tissue React. 2005;27:197-202 pubmed..Our present results suggest that PEDF is an EC-derived mitogen or survival factor for retinal pericytes. Suppression by Ang II of the EC-derived PEDF may be involved in exacerbation of diabetic retinopathy in patients with hypertension. ..
- Yamagishi S, Matsui T. Soluble form of a receptor for advanced glycation end products (sRAGE) as a biomarker. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2010;2:1184-95 pubmed..Therefore, in this paper, we review the kinetics, regulation and pathophysiological role of sRAGE in humans. We further discuss the potential clinical utility of measuring sRAGE in various disorders as a biomarker. ..
- Yamagishi S, Matsui T. Smooth muscle cell pathophysiology and advanced glycation end products (AGEs). Curr Drug Targets. 2010;11:875-81 pubmed....
- Yamagishi S, Adachi H, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Takeuchi M, Enomoto M, et al. Low-density lipoprotein levels are one of the independent determinants of circulating levels of advanced glycation end products in nondiabetic subjects. Clin Cardiol. 2009;32:E12-5 pubmed publisher..Intake of cholesterol-rich foods may regulate serum levels of AGEs in nondiabetic subjects. ..
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Matsui T. Regulation of advanced glycation end product (AGE)-receptor (RAGE) system by PPAR-gamma agonists and its implication in cardiovascular disease. Pharmacol Res. 2009;60:174-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in this study, we review effects of PPARgamma agonists on the AGE-RAGE system and their implication in CVD. ..
- Matsui T, Higashimoto Y, Nishino Y, Nakamura N, Fukami K, Yamagishi S. RAGE-Aptamer Blocks the Development and Progression of Experimental Diabetic Nephropathy. Diabetes. 2017;66:1683-1695 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that continuous infusion of RAGE-aptamer could attenuate the development and progression of experimental diabetic nephropathy by blocking the AGE-RAGE axis. ..
- Tahara N, Yamagishi S, Bekki M, Kodama N, Nakamura T, Sugiyama Y, et al. Anagliptin, A Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitor Ameliorates Arterial Stiffness in Association with Reduction of Remnant-Like Particle Cholesterol and Alanine Transaminase Levels in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2016;14:552-562 pubmed..Anagliptin may ameliorate arterial stiffness partly via reduction of RLP cholesterol and improvement of liver function. ..
- Matsui T, Nakamura N, Ojima A, Nishino Y, Yamagishi S. Sulforaphane reduces advanced glycation end products (AGEs)-induced inflammation in endothelial cells and rat aorta. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2016;26:797-807 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of the AGEs-RAGE axis by sulforaphane might be a novel therapeutic target for vascular injury in diabetes. ..
- Ishibashi Y, Matsui T, Ueda S, Fukami K, Yamagishi S. Advanced glycation end products potentiate citrated plasma-evoked oxidative and inflammatory reactions in endothelial cells by up-regulating protease-activated receptor-1 expression. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014;13:60 pubmed publisher..Blockade of the crosstalk between AGE-RAGE axis and coagulation system by rivaroxaban might be a novel therapeutic target for thromboembolic disorders in diabetes. ..
- Yamagishi S, Maeda S, Matsui T, Ueda S, Fukami K, Okuda S. Role of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and oxidative stress in vascular complications in diabetes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:663-71 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that inhibition of AGE-RAGE-oxidative stress axis or blockade of its interaction with RAS is a novel therapeutic strategy for preventing vascular complications in diabetes. ..
- Yamagishi S, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Takeuchi M, Inoue H. Telmisartan inhibits advanced glycation end products (AGEs)-elicited endothelial cell injury by suppressing AGE receptor (RAGE) expression via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gammaactivation. Protein Pept Lett. 2008;15:850-3 pubmed..Our present study provides a unique beneficial aspect of telmisartan. Specifically, it could work as an anti-inflammatory agent against AGEs via PPAR-gamma activation and may play a protective role against diabetic microangiopathy. ..
- Yamagishi S, Fukami K, Matsui T. Evaluation of tissue accumulation levels of advanced glycation end products by skin autofluorescence: A novel marker of vascular complications in high-risk patients for cardiovascular disease. Int J Cardiol. 2015;185:263-8 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the pathophysiological role of tissue accumulation levels of AGEs in vascular damage in high-risk patients, especially focusing on the association between SAF and cardiorenal disorder. ..
- Yamagishi S, Ueda S, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Okuda S. Role of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and oxidative stress in diabetic retinopathy. Curr Pharm Des. 2008;14:962-8 pubmed....
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Takenaka K, Matsui T, Jinnouchi Y, Imaizumi T. Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) promotes growth of pericytes through autocrine production of platelet-derived growth factor-B. Microvasc Res. 2005;69:128-34 pubmed..Our present study suggests that PEDF could act as a mitogen or survival factor for pericytes, thereby being involved in the maintenance of retinal microvascular homeostasis. ..
- Yamagishi S. Role of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and receptor for AGEs (RAGE) in vascular damage in diabetes. Exp Gerontol. 2011;46:217-24 pubmed publisher..We also discuss here the potential utility of the restriction of food-derived AGEs in diabetic vascular complications. ..
- Ishibashi Y, Matsui T, Isami F, Abe Y, Sakaguchi T, Higashimoto Y, et al. N-butanol extracts of Morinda citrifolia suppress advanced glycation end products (AGE)-induced inflammatory reactions in endothelial cells through its anti-oxidative properties. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:137 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of the AGE-RAGE axis by n-butanol extracts of noni may be a novel nutraceutical strategy for the treatment of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Ueda S, Kato S, Imaizumi T. Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) blocks angiotensin II signaling in endothelial cells via suppression of NADPH oxidase: a novel anti-oxidative mechanism of PEDF. Cell Tissue Res. 2005;320:437-45 pubmed..These results demonstrate that PEDF inhibits Ang-II-induced EC activation by suppressing NADPH-oxidase-mediated ROS generation and that PEDF may play a protective role in the development and progression of atherosclerosis. ..
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Matsui T, Inagaki Y, Takenaka K, Jinnouchi Y, et al. Pigment epithelium-derived factor inhibits advanced glycation end product-induced retinal vascular hyperpermeability by blocking reactive oxygen species-mediated vascular endothelial growth factor expression. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20213-20 pubmed..Substitution of PEDF may offer a promising strategy for halting the development of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Yamagishi S, Amano S, Inagaki Y, Okamoto T, Koda Y, Soejima M, et al. Pigment epithelium-derived factor Met72Thr polymorphism in patients with diabetic microangiopathy. Int J Clin Pharmacol Res. 2002;22:67-71 pubmed..These observations suggest that these genetic variants might not be involved in the mechanism of diabetic microangiopathy in patients with diabetes. ..
- Yamagishi S, Inagaki Y, Amano S, Okamoto T, Takeuchi M, Makita Z. Pigment epithelium-derived factor protects cultured retinal pericytes from advanced glycation end product-induced injury through its antioxidative properties. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;296:877-82 pubmed..Our present study suggests that substitution of PEDF proteins may be a promising strategy in treatment of patients with early diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Yamagishi S, Takeuchi M, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Imaizumi T, Inoue H. Angiotensin II augments advanced glycation end product-induced pericyte apoptosis through RAGE overexpression. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:4265-70 pubmed..Further, AII augmented AGE-induced pericyte apoptosis, the earliest hallmark of diabetic retinopathy. Our present study may implicate a crosstalk between AGE-RAGE system and AII in diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Yamagishi S, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Takeuchi M, Imaizumi T. Pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF) prevents diabetes- or advanced glycation end products (AGE)-elicited retinal leukostasis. Microvasc Res. 2006;72:86-90 pubmed..Our present study suggests that PEDF may play a protective role against early diabetic retinopathy by attenuating the deleterious effect of AGE. ..
- Ishibashi Y, Matsui T, Maeda S, Higashimoto Y, Yamagishi S. Advanced glycation end products evoke endothelial cell damage by stimulating soluble dipeptidyl peptidase-4 production and its interaction with mannose 6-phosphate/insulin-like growth factor II receptor. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2013;12:125 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) is a potential therapeutic target for type 2 diabetes. However, the role of DPP-4 in AGE-induced endothelial cell (EC) damage remains unclear...
- Yamagishi S, Inagaki Y, Okamoto T, Amano S, Koga K, Takeuchi M, et al. Advanced glycation end product-induced apoptosis and overexpression of vascular endothelial growth factor and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in human-cultured mesangial cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:20309-15 pubmed....
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Inoue H, Kikuchi S, Takeuchi M. Serum or cerebrospinal fluid levels of glyceraldehyde-derived advanced glycation end products (AGEs) may be a promising biomarker for early detection of Alzheimer's disease. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64:1205-7 pubmed....
- Yamagishi S, Adachi H, Matsui T, Nakamura K, Enomoto M, Fukami A, et al. Decreased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level is an independent correlate of circulating tumor necrosis factor-alpha in a general population. Clin Cardiol. 2009;32:E29-32 pubmed publisher..Elevation of TNF-alpha may partly explain the increased risk of cardiovascular events in patients with low HDL-C levels. ..
- Ishibashi Y, Matsui T, Matsumoto T, Kato H, Yamagishi S. Ranirestat has a stronger inhibitory activity on aldose reductase and suppresses inflammatory reactions in high glucose-exposed endothelial cells. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2016;13:312-5 pubmed publisher..Our present results suggest that ranirestat has a stronger inhibitory activity on aldose reductase than epalrestat and suppresses inflammatory reactions in high glucose-exposed human umbilical vein endothelial cells. ..
- Yamagishi S, Inagaki Y, Amano S, Okamoto T, Takeuchi M. Up-regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor and down-regulation of pigment epithelium-derived factor messenger ribonucleic acid levels in leptin-exposed cultured retinal pericytes. Int J Tissue React. 2002;24:137-42 pubmed....
- Yamagishi S, Taguchi K, Fukami K. DNA-aptamers raised against AGEs as a blocker of various aging-related disorders. Glycoconj J. 2016;33:683-90 pubmed publisher....
- Yamagishi S, Amano S, Inagaki Y, Okamoto T, Takeuchi M, Inoue H. Pigment epithelium-derived factor inhibits leptin-induced angiogenesis by suppressing vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression through anti-oxidative properties. Microvasc Res. 2003;65:186-90 pubmed..The present study suggests that leptin could elicit angiogenesis through autocrine VEGF production via intracellular ROS generation. PEDF may block the angiogenic effects of leptin through its anti-oxidative properties. ..
- Ishibashi Y, Matsui T, Yamagishi S. Tofogliflozin, a selective inhibitor of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2, suppresses renal damage in KKAy/Ta mice, obese and type 2 diabetic animals. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2016;13:438-441 pubmed..Inhibition of glucose entry into tubular cells by tofogliflozin may exert renoprotective properties in diabetes. ..
- Yamagishi S, Adachi H, Takeuchi M, Enomoto M, Furuki K, Matsui T, et al. Serum level of advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) is an independent determinant of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) in nondiabetic general population. Horm Metab Res. 2007;39:845-8 pubmed..The AGE-associated thrombogenic abnormality may be involved in atherogenesis in nondiabetic subjects. ..