Affiliation: Kumamoto University
- Childhood sexual abuse is associated with reduced gray matter volume in visual cortex of young womenAkemi Tomoda
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Biol Psychiatry 66:642-8. 2009..Voxel-based morphometry (VBM) provided unbiased delineation of the most significantly affected brain regions...
- Pseudohypacusis in childhood and adolescence is associated with increased gray matter volume in the medial frontal gyrus and superior temporal gyrusAkemi Tomoda
Department of Child Development, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Japan
Cortex 48:492-503. 2012..We therefore assert that differences in the neuroanatomical substrate of pseudohypacusis subjects result from a developmental disorder in auditory processing...
- Exposure to parental verbal abuse is associated with increased gray matter volume in superior temporal gyrusAkemi Tomoda
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Neuroimage 54:S280-6. 2011..Other forms of childhood abuse have been found to be associated with alterations in brain structure. The aim of this study was to ascertain whether exposure to PVA was associated with discernible effects on brain morphology...
- Reduced prefrontal cortical gray matter volume in young adults exposed to harsh corporal punishmentAkemi Tomoda
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Neuroimage 47:T66-71. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate whether HCP was associated with discernible alterations in gray matter volume (GMV) using voxel-based morphometry (VBM)...
- Metabolic dysfunction and circadian rhythm abnormalities in adolescents with sleep disturbanceAkemi Tomoda
Department of Child Developmental Sociology, Faculty of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8566, Japan
Neuroimage 47:T21-6. 2009..Sleep disturbance attributable to circadian rhythm abnormalities frequently occurs in previously healthy children and adolescents who often complain of gastrointestinal discomfort after meals...
- Parent-reported health care expenditures associated with autism spectrum disorders in Heilongjiang province, ChinaJia Wang
Department of Children s and Adolescent Health, Public Health College of Harbin Medical University, Nangang District, PR China
BMC Health Serv Res 12:7. 2012..The aim of this study was to determine the health expenses incurred by families with children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and those expenses' relation to total household income and expenditures...
- Case study: differences in human Per2 gene expression, body temperature, cortisol, and melatonin parameters in remission and hypersomnia in a patient with recurrent hypersomniaAkemi Tomoda
Department of Child Development, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, Japan
Chronobiol Int 20:893-900. 2003..05). The findings of this case study suggest the expression of hPer2 gene and alterations in circadian time structure might play an important role in the pathogenesis of recurrent hypersomnia, although additional study is required...
- Daily expression of clock genes in whole blood cells in healthy subjects and a patient with circadian rhythm sleep disorderMieko Takimoto
Department of Pharmacy, Kumamoto University Hospital, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 289:R1273-9. 2005....
- [School phobia and childhood chronic fatigue syndrome (CCFS)]Akemi Tomoda
Department of Child Developmental Sociology, Faculty of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University
Nihon Rinsho 65:1121-33. 2007....
- Cognitive dysfunction and mental fatigue in childhood chronic fatigue syndrome--a 6-month follow-up studyJunko Kawatani
Department of Child Development, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Brain Dev 33:832-41. 2011..Cognitive function was investigated in patients with childhood type chronic fatigue syndrome (CCFS) using the modified advanced trail making test (mATMT)...
- Reduced visual cortex gray matter volume and thickness in young adults who witnessed domestic violence during childhoodAkemi Tomoda
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e52528. 2012..Exposure to multiple types of maltreatment is more commonly associated with morphological alterations in corticolimbic regions. These findings fit with preclinical studies showing that visual cortex is a highly plastic structure...
- Learning and memorization impairment in childhood chronic fatigue syndrome manifesting as school phobia in JapanTeruhisa Miike
Department of Child Development, Faculty of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University Graduate School, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Kumamoto, Japan
Brain Dev 26:442-7. 2004..We analyzed the relationship between the laboratory data and clinical symptoms in CCFS...
- Cytokine production and modulation: comparison of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and normal controlsAkemi Tomoda
Department of Child Development, School of Medicine, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Psychiatry Res 134:101-4. 2005..Cytokine dysregulation affects CFS pathogenesis. TGF-beta1 may aid treatment because it affects CFS inflammatory characteristics...
- Temporal organization of rest defined by actigraphy data in healthy and childhood chronic fatigue syndrome childrenMinako Kawabata
Department of Stem Cell Biology, Institute of Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
BMC Psychiatry 13:281. 2013..This apparent discrepancy has been left to be resolved...
- [Preliminary evidence of neurobiological and behavioral consequences of exposure to childhood maltreatment on regional brain development]Akemi Tomoda
Department of Child Development, Faculty of Life Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto
No To Hattatsu 43:345-51. 2011..The information presented is based on a collaborative study with the Psychiatry Department at Harvard University on the relationship between brain functions and the human mind...
- Description of environmental determinants of quality of life in children with intellectual disability in Japan using the Delphi techniqueLuyinga Kalay
Department of Preventive and Environmental Medicine, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto, 860 8556, Japan
Environ Health Prev Med 15:73-83. 2010..The present study aimed to define the framework of an environment conducive to the well-being of children with intellectually disability (CID)...
- Trial of intraventricular ribavirin therapy for subacute sclerosing panencephalitis in JapanAkemi Tomoda
Department of Child Development, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Brain Dev 25:514-7. 2003..Although effectiveness varied among cases, they were all treated safely with intraventricular ribavirin. This study suggests that treatment is safe and well-tolerated...