Affiliation: Kagoshima University
- Onishi S, Kaji T, Yamada W, Nakame K, Moriguchi T, Sugita K, et al. The administration of ghrelin improved hepatocellular injury following parenteral feeding in a rat model of short bowel syndrome. Pediatr Surg Int. 2016;32:1165-1171 pubmed..The accumulation of lipids in the liver of the rats in the SBS/TPN group was attenuated by the administration of ghrelin. The administration of ghrelin has a therapeutic potential for IFALD. ..
- Ikee T, Onishi S, Mukai M, Kawano T, Sugita K, Moriguchi T, et al. A comparison of the characteristics and precision of needle driving for right-handed pediatric surgeons between right and left driving using a model of infant laparoscopic diaphragmatic hernia repair. Pediatr Surg Int. 2017;33:1103-1108 pubmed publisher..But left needle driving also showed too fast but not economical movement unfortunately, implying rough and risky forceps manipulation. Non-dominant hand training is necessary to avoid organ injury. ..
- Suzuhigashi M, Kaji T, Noguchi H, Muto M, Goto M, Mukai M, et al. Current characteristics and management of congenital esophageal stenosis: 40 consecutive cases from a multicenter study in the Kyushu area of Japan. Pediatr Surg Int. 2017;33:1035-1040 pubmed publisher..CES occurred in 1 in every 33,000 births in the Kyushu area. Careful attention should be paid, even in cases of dilatation for FMS. CES requires long-term follow-up for symptom persistence after adequate and repeated treatment. ..
- Shinyama S, Kaji T, Mukai M, Nakame K, Matsufuji H, Takamatsu H, et al. The novel preventive effect of Daikenchuto (TJ-100), a Japanese herbal drug, against neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis in rats. Pediatr Surg Int. 2017;33:1109-1114 pubmed publisher..04). We evaluated the effect of Daikenchuto against NEC and found that it reduced the incidence rate of NEC due to a decrease in the IL-6 production. ..
- Machigashira S, Kaji T, Onishi S, Yamada W, Yano K, Yamada K, et al. The protective effect of fish oil lipid emulsions on intestinal failure-associated liver disease in a rat model of short-bowel syndrome. Pediatr Surg Int. 2018;34:203-209 pubmed publisher..An analysis of the fatty acids profile in the both the SO and FO groups did not indicate essential fatty acid deficiency (EFAD). FO lipid emulsion may have a protective role against steatosis of IFALD without EFAD. ..
- Onishi S, Nakame K, Kaji T, Kawano M, Moriguchi T, Sugita K, et al. The bowel function and quality of life of Hirschsprung disease patients who have reached 18 years of age or older - the long-term outcomes after undergoing the transabdominal soave procedure. J Pediatr Surg. 2017;52:2001-2005 pubmed publisher..Pediatric surgeons should continue trying to achieve complete bowel function after definitive surgery of HD. Prospective Cohort Study. Level III. ..
- Kawano T, Hosomichi K, Inoue I, Shimono R, Onishi S, Nakame K, et al. Identification of a novel variant of the RET proto-oncogene in a novel family with Hirschsprung's disease. Pediatr Surg Int. 2017;33:1041-1046 pubmed publisher..The coexistence of RET mutations in both the exon (S922Y) and intron1 (rs2435357T) indicated a risk of HSCR in this family. ..
- Kaji T, Nakame K, Machigashira S, Kawano T, Masuya R, Yamada W, et al. Predictors of a successful outcome for infants with short bowel syndrome: a 30-year single-institution experience. Surg Today. 2017;47:1391-1396 pubmed publisher..01), and a percentage of expected RSBL of <10% (p < 0.03) as predictors of weaning off PN. These predictors may help us select the optimal treatments for pediatric patients with SBS. ..
- Onishi S, Nakame K, Yamada K, Yamada W, Kawano T, Mukai M, et al. Long-term outcome of bowel function for 110 consecutive cases of Hirschsprung's disease: Comparison of the abdominal approach with transanal approach more than 30years in a single institution - is the transanal approach truly beneficial for bowel fun. J Pediatr Surg. 2016;51:2010-2014 pubmed publisher..However, regarding the bowel function, TA is not always superior to SD. The surgical technique of TA must be improved according to a detailed understanding of the anatomy. Retrospective study - level III. ..
- Yamada W, Kaji T, Onishi S, Nakame K, Yamada K, Kawano T, et al. Ghrelin improves intestinal mucosal atrophy during parenteral nutrition: An experimental study. J Pediatr Surg. 2016;51:2039-2043 pubmed publisher..TPN was more strongly associated with mucosal atrophy in the jejunum than in the ileum. Low-dose intravenous administration of ghrelin improved TPN-associated intestinal mucosal atrophy more effectively than high-dose administration. ..
- Kaji T, Kawano T, Yamada W, Yamada K, Onishi S, Nakame K, et al. The changing profile of safe techniques for the insertion of a central venous catheter in pediatric patients - improvement in the outcome with the experiences of 500 insertions in a single institution. J Pediatr Surg. 2016;51:2044-2047 pubmed publisher..However, multiple vein occlusions because of repeated catheterizaion by venous cutdown lead to the exhaustion of accessible vessels. Treatment Study - Level IV. ..