- Inter-laboratory validation and applications of quantitative real-time PCR for the detection of Kudoa septempunctata in olive flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus)Yoshio Iijima
Department of Microbiology, Kobe Institute of Health, Kobe, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 65:436-8. 2012..septempunctata in P. olivaceus should be elucidated, and other hosts of the parasite should be identified. The sensitive real-time PCR method described here will be a useful tool for resolving these issues...
- Prevention of bacterial diarrhea by pasteurization of drinking water in KenyaY Iijima
Laboratory of Bacteriology, Kobe Institute of Health, Hyogo, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 45:413-6. 2001..Employment of women leaders as fieldworkers and demonstration of bacterial colony disappearance on agar plates by pasteurization also affected reduction of the diarrheal incidence...
- Improvement in the detection rate of diarrhoeagenic bacteria in human stool specimens by a rapid real-time PCR assayYoshio Iijima
Department of Microbiology, Kobe Institute of Health, Minatojima Nakamachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
J Med Microbiol 53:617-22. 2004..An additional six (6%) patients were found to be positive by PCR analysis...
- Evaluation of colony-based examinations of diarrheagenic Escherichia coli in stool specimens: low probability of detection because of low concentrations, particularly during the early stage of gastroenteritisYoshio Iijima
Department of Microbiology, Kobe Institute of Health, 4 6 Minatojima Nakamachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 58:303-8. 2007..Thus, a diagnosis of DEC infections requires a molecular method that targets not individual colonies but E. coli clusters...
- Multiple outbreaks of gastroenteritis due to a single strain of genotype GII/4 norovirus in Kobe, Japan, 2006: risk factors for norovirus spread in health care settingsYoshio Iijima
Department of Microbiology, Kobe Institute of Health, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
Jpn J Infect Dis 61:419-22. 2008..The use of ineffective disinfectants such as alcohol and benzalkonium chloride might also have helped to spread the infection...
- Identification of Kudoa septempunctata as the causative agent of novel food poisoning outbreaks in Japan by consumption of Paralichthys olivaceus in raw fishTakao Kawai
Division of Bacteriology, Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Kobe Institute of Health, Kobe, Japan
Clin Infect Dis 54:1046-52. 2012..No known causative agents such as bacteria, viruses, bacterial toxins, or toxic chemicals have been detected in the foods that were ingested. Fortunately, this illness is self-limiting with good prognosis in all cases...
- An outbreak of rotavirus infection among adults in an institution for rehabilitation: long-term residence in a closed community as a risk factor for rotavirus illnessYoshio Iijima
Department of Microbiology, Kobe Institute of Health, Minatojima Nakamachi, Kobe 650 0046, Japan
Scand J Infect Dis 38:490-6. 2006..These observations suggest that long-term residence in a closed community, which might be related to absence of immuno-stimulation, represents a risk factor for rotavirus illness...
- Genome sequence of Vibrio parahaemolyticus: a pathogenic mechanism distinct from that of V choleraeKozo Makino
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Lancet 361:743-9. 2003..The organism is phylogenetically close to V cholerae, the causative agent of cholera...
- High incidence of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli among food handlers in three areas of Kenya: a possible transmission route of travelers' diarrheaJoseph O Oundo
Centre for Microbiology Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
J Travel Med 15:31-8. 2008..Importance of food handlers as reservoirs of enteroaggregative Escherichia coli (EAEC), enteropathogenic E coli (EPEC), and Shiga toxin-producing E coli (STEC) causing TD has not been clearly demonstrated...