Genomes and Genes
- Reactive oxygen species plasmatic levels in ischemic strokeLaura Nanetti
Institute of Biochemistry, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
Mol Cell Biochem 303:19-25. 2007..Peroxynitrite might be the main marker of brain damage and neurological impairment in acute ischemic stroke...
- Environmental and genetical aspects of the link between pregnancy, birth size, and type 2 diabetesArianna Vignini
Department of Clinical Sciences, Section of Biochemistry and Biology, Universita Politecnica Marche, Ancona, Italy
Curr Diabetes Rev 8:155-61. 2012..In this paper the factors that participate in the programming of the fetus and infants that lead to endocrine dysfunction in postnatal life are reviewed...
- Alterations of platelet biochemical and functional properties in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: a role in cardiovascular risk?Arianna Vignini
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Ranieri 65, Ancona, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 27:277-85. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate whether T1D at onset is able to induce alterations of platelet physicochemical and functional properties and whether these changes are affected by hyperglycaemia...
- Anorexia nervosa: a role for L-arginine supplementation in cardiovascular risk factors?Arianna Vignini
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Int J Eat Disord 43:464-71. 2010..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effects of a short-term oral L-arginine treatment on platelet NO production, intracellular calcium concentration, iNOS and eNOS expression, in AN patients...
- Lipoproteins obtained from anorexia nervosa patients induce higher oxidative stress in U373MG astrocytes through nitric oxide productionArianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via P Ranieri 65, Ancona, 60131, Italy
Neuromolecular Med 10:17-23. 2008..Thus, a relevant pathophysiological association between NO and depression is certainly a possibility, as well as a central role played by NO in the pathogenesis...
- Modifications of platelet from Alzheimer disease patients: a possible relation between membrane properties and NO metabolitesArianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 28:987-94. 2007..These modifications may contribute further to the neurodegenerative process in AD because the abnormal function of Alzheimer platelets play a very important role in the pathogenesis of the disease...
- Free thiols in human spermatozoa: are Na+/K+-ATPase, Ca2+-ATPase activities involved in sperm motility through peroxynitrite formation?Arianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancono, Italy
Reprod Biomed Online 18:132-40. 2009..Decrease in motility and loss of sperm function in idiopathic asthenozoospermia can be attributed to these sulphydryl groups, important entities of the sperm membrane...
- A study on the action of vitamin E supplementation on plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 and platelet nitric oxide production in type 2 diabetic patientsArianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via P Ranieri 65, 60131 Ancona, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:15-22. 2008....
- Platelet nitric oxide production and IR: relation with obesity and hypertriglyceridemiaArianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Polytechnical University of Marche, Via P Ranieri 65, 60131 Ancona, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:553-8. 2008..The aim of the present work was to examine eNOS polymorphism, to find a correlation with platelet NO production and degree of insulin resistance (IR) in non-diabetic subjects and in patients affected by type 2 diabetes...
- Impact of gender on platelet membrane functions of Alzheimer's disease patientsArianna Vignini
Department of Clinical Science Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Exp Gerontol 48:319-25. 2013..Studies on gender differences could lead to a higher probability of improved health outcomes via better-targeted therapies...
- Oxidative stress in ischaemic strokeLaura Nanetti
Department of Biology, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 41:1318-22. 2011..Production of reactive oxygen species after ischaemic stroke may enhance tissue damage through multiple molecular pathways...
- The production of peroxynitrite by human spermatozoa may affect sperm motility through the formation of protein nitrotyrosineArianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Fertil Steril 85:947-53. 2006..To detect peroxynitrite and 3-nitrotyrosine production in human spermatozoa of asthenozoospermic infertile patients and normospermic donors, and evaluate any influence on kinetic sperm features...
- Interactions between lipoproteins and platelet membranes in obesityFrancesca Raffaelli
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, School of Medicine, Marche Polytechnic University, Ancona, Italy
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1375-80. 2009..The present data point out that obesity might represent a major potentially modifiable risk factor for the onset of numerous complications, in particular cardiovascular ones...
- Protective effect of human HDL against Cu(2+)-induced oxidation of astrocytesGianna Ferretti
Institute of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ancona, Ancona, Italy
J Trace Elem Med Biol 17:25-30. 2003....
- Nitric oxide platelet production in spontaneous miscarriage in the first trimesterFrancesca Raffaelli
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, Marche Polytechnic University, Ancona, Italy
Fertil Steril 93:1976-82. 2010..To investigate the role played by platelet nitric oxide (NO) metabolism in patients with spontaneous miscarriage (SM) and recurrent spontaneous miscarriage (RSM) compared with healthy pregnant women...
- Involvement of sperm plasma membrane and cytoskeletal proteins in human male infertilityEleonora Salvolini
Department of Clinical and Molecular Sciences Histology, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Fertil Steril 99:697-704. 2013....
- Nitric oxide synthase and tyrosine nitration in idiopathic asthenozoospermia: an immunohistochemical studyEleonora Salvolini
Department of Clinical and Molecular Sciences Histology, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Fertil Steril 97:554-60. 2012..Also to evaluate the immunohistochemical expression of citrulline, a marker of NOS activity, and nitrotyrosine, which indicates the formation of peroxynitrite, which may affect sperm functionality through its cytotoxic action...
- Reduced nitric oxide levels in acromegaly: cardiovascular implicationsVanessa Ronconi
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ospedali Riuniti Umberto I GM Lancisi G Salesi, Ancona, Italy
Blood Press 14:227-32. 2005..Moreover the inverse correlation of NO levels with GH, IGF-1 and disease duration suggests that reduced levels of platelet NO linked to GH excess may contribute to the vascular alterations affecting patients with acromegaly...
- Platelet membrane fluidity and Na+/K+ ATPase activity in acute strokeLaura Nanetti
Institute of Biochemistry, Marche Polytechnic University, Italy
Brain Res 1205:21-6. 2008..These modifications and their interaction with some vascular risk factors might be involved in the pathogenesis of ischemic damage development...
- Nitric oxide and peroxynitrite platelet levels in gestational hypertension and preeclampsiaLaura Mazzanti
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, Marche Polytechnic University, via Tronto 10 60128 Ancona, Italy
Platelets 23:26-35. 2012....
- Role of nitric oxide concentrations on human sperm motilityGiancarlo Balercia
Endocrinology Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ancona, Ancona, Italy
J Androl 25:245-9. 2004..The positive role played by NO in spermatozoa capacitation leads us to speculate that such paradoxical involvement in both pathologic and physiologic processes depends on the alternative redox state and relative level of NO...
- Interleukin-1β, cyclooxygenase-2, and hypoxia-inducible factor-1α in asthenozoospermiaEleonora Salvolini
Department of Clinical and Molecular Sciences Histology, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, 60126, Ancona, Italy
Histochem Cell Biol 142:569-75. 2014..Nevertheless, further studies are needed in order to assess whether these bioactive mediators have a potential relevance as targets in future therapeutic strategies for the treatment of male infertility. ..
- Alzheimer's disease and diabetes: new insights and unifying therapiesArianna Vignini
Department of Clinical Science, Section of Biochemistry, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, 60020 Ancona, Italy
Curr Diabetes Rev 9:218-27. 2013..The aim of the present review is to better understand the strengths and drawbacks of these therapies...
- Glutamate in vitro effects on human term placental mitochondriaEleonora Salvolini
Department of Molecular Pathology and Innovative Therapies Histology, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 25:952-6. 2012....
- Coenzyme Q10 treatment in infertile men with idiopathic asthenozoospermia: a placebo-controlled, double-blind randomized trialGiancarlo Balercia
Department of Internal Medicine and Applied Biotechnologies, Andrology Unit, Endocrinology, Umberto I Hospital, School of Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Fertil Steril 91:1785-92. 2009..To evaluate the effectiveness of coenzyme Q(10) treatment in improving semen quality in men with idiopathic infertility...
- Effect of homocysteinylation of low density lipoproteins on lipid peroxidation of human endothelial cellsGianna Ferretti
Istituto di Biochimica, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
J Cell Biochem 92:351-60. 2004..These results suggest that Hcy-LDL exert a cytotoxic effect that is likely related to an increase in lipid peroxidation and oxidative damage of EC...
- Age-related changes on platelet membrane: a study on elderly and centenarian monozygotic twinsLaura Nanetti
Institute of Biochemistry, Polytechnic Marche University, School of Medicine, Via Ranieri 65, 60131 Ancona, Italy
Exp Gerontol 40:519-25. 2005..Thus genetic factors might play an important role in the mechanisms at the basis of successful aging...
- Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene (Glu298Asp variant) in infertile men with asthenozoospermiaEddi Buldreghini
Andrology Unit, Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine and Applied Biotechnologies, Umberto I Hospital, Torrette, Via Conca, 60100 Ancona, Italy
J Androl 31:482-8. 2010..03) and heterozygous eNOS (GT) genotypes (P = .04). Our findings suggest that the T allele encoding for aspartic acid of the eNOS (Glu298Asp) gene may contribute to poor sperm motility...
- The effects of disodium pamidronate on human polymorphonuclear leukocytes and platelets: an in vitro studyEleonora Salvolini
Department of Molecular Pathology and Innovative Therapies Histology, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, 60020, Ancona, Italy
Cell Mol Biol Lett 14:457-65. 2009..In addition, PMN- and platelet-derived NO could act as a negative feed-back signal to restrict the inflammatory processes...
- Activation of human aortic endothelial cells by LDL from Type 1 diabetic patients: an in vitro studyRosa A Rabini
Department of Diabetology, Italian National Research Center on Aging, Ancona, Italy
Atherosclerosis 165:69-77. 2002..The results suggest that a short-term interaction with LDL from Type 1 diabetic patients causes alterations of the plasma membrane surface and of cellular functions in endothelial cells in a possibly atherogenic way...
- VEGF and nitric oxide synthase immunoexpression in Down's syndrome amniotic fluid stem cellsEleonora Salvolini
Department of Molecular Pathology and Innovative Therapies Histology Section, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 41:23-9. 2011..In addition, we measured the VEGF and NO content in cell culture supernatants to analyse their production by AF-MSCs...
- Evidence for reduction of pro-atherosclerotic properties in platelets from healthy centenariansRosa Anna Rabini
Department of Diabetology Research, Italian National Research Center on Aging, Ancona, Italy
Exp Gerontol 38:367-71. 2003....
- Prognostic significance of personality profiles in patients with chronic migraineRoberta Luconi
Department of Neuroscience, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy
Headache 47:1118-24. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess whether the psychological profile may have prognostic significance in chronic migraine patients...
- Placental expression of endothelial and inducible nitric oxide synthase and nitric oxide levels in patients with HELLP syndromeLaura Mazzanti
Department of Biochemistry, Biology and Genetics, Universita Politecnica Marche, Ancona, Italy
Am J Obstet Gynecol 205:236.e1-7. 2011..To determine placental gene expression of endothelial and inducible nitric oxide synthases and measure nitric oxide levels in patients with hemolysis, elevated liver enzyme levels, and low platelet count syndrome...
- Cytotoxic effects induced by hexachlorobenzene in Squilla mantis (L.) (Crustacea, Stomatopoda)Antonio Dell'Anno
Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Science, Polytechnic University of Marche, Via Brecce Bianche, 60131, Ancona, Italy
Environ Toxicol 23:9-14. 2008..Overall these findings suggest that even small concentrations of HCB may determine important changes on cell metabolism with potential cascade effects on recruitment of this commercial species...
- Nitric oxide production during the osteogenic differentiation of human periodontal ligament mesenchymal stem cellsMonia Orciani
Dipartimento di Patologia Molecolare e Terapie Innovative Istologia, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Tronto 10 A, 60020 Ancona, Italy
Acta Histochem 111:15-24. 2009....
- Copper-induced oxidative damage on astrocytes: protective effect exerted by human high density lipoproteinsGianna Ferretti
Istituto di Biochimica, Facoltà of Medicina, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Ranieri, I 60131 Ancona, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1635:48-54. 2003....
- Follicular fluid nitric oxide (NO) concentrations in stimulated cycles: the relationship to embryo gradingArianna Vignini
Institute of Biochemistry, Polytechnic University of Marche at Salesi Hospital, via Corridoni 11, Ancona, Italy
Arch Gynecol Obstet 277:229-32. 2008..We investigated the concentration of nitric oxide (NO) in follicular fluid, collected during oocyte retrieval after in-vitro fertilization and embryo transfer (IVF-ET) and its relationship to oocyte and embryo grading...
- Evidence for S-nitrosothiol-dependent changes in fibrinogen that do not involve transnitrosation or thiolationShirin Akhter
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada N9B
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:9172-7. 2002..Three such putative RSNO-binding domains have been identified in the unordered, aromatic residue-rich C-termini of the alpha-chains of fibrinogen...