- Critical evaluation of an intercalibration exercise undertaken in the framework of the MED POL biomonitoring programA Viarengo
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Corso Borsalino 54, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Mar Environ Res 49:1-18. 2000..As a corollary, all laboratories involved produced comparable data and were able to identify pollutant-induced stress syndromes in sentinel organisms. Thus, intercalibration enables the use of biomarkers in large biomonitoring programs...
- Antioxidant role of metallothioneins: a comparative overviewA Viarengo
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Alessandria, Italy
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 46:407-17. 2000..Finally, as the relevance of redox processes in cell signaling is becoming more and more evident, a search for MT effects on redox signaling could represent a turning point in the understanding of the functional role of these protein...
- A biomonitoring study assessing the residual biological effects of pollution caused by the HAVEN wreck on marine organisms in the Ligurian Sea (Italy)A Viarengo
Environmental and Life Sciences Department DISAV, University of Piemonte Orientale, Via V Bellini 25 G, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 53:607-16. 2007....
- Different effects of Hg2+ and Cu2+ on mussel (Mytilus galloprovincialis) plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase: Hg2+ induction of protein expressionB Burlando
Dipartimento di Scienze dell Ambiente e della Vita, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Via Bellini 25 G, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 139:201-7. 2004....
- Effects of free oxygen radicals on Ca2+ release mechanisms in the sarcoplasmic reticulum of scallop (Pecten jacobaeus) adductor muscleB Burlando
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, Universita di Torino, Alessandria, Italy
Cell Calcium 22:83-90. 1997..The demonstration of a specific effect of oxyradicals on SR Ca2+ channels is in line with their possible involvement in cell signaling...
- Networking and expert-system analysis: next frontier in biomonitoringA Viarengo
Department of Science and Advanced Technology, University of Eastern Piedmont at Alessandria, Corso Borsalino 54, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Mar Environ Res 49:483-6. 2000..This will allow common criteria in the evaluation of the biological effects of pollutants, and an intercomparison of biomonitoring data among different geographic areas and sentinel species...
- Effect of hydrogen peroxide on antioxidant enzymes and metallothionein level in the digestive gland of Mytilus galloprovincialis. email@example.comM Cavaletto
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, Universita del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, C so Borsalino, 54 15100, Alessandria, Italy
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 131:447-55. 2002..All data indicate a 'transient' oxidative stress response, after which mussel cells restore the redox balance...
- Effect of metal-based anticancer drugs on wild type and metallothionein null cell linesH Mahboobi
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Avanzate, , Corso Borsalino 54, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Biometals 16:403-9. 2003..Nonetheless, heavy metal pretreatment of GKA2 cells did not cause any change in their sensitivity...
- Protective effect of metallothioneins against oxidative stress evaluated on wild type and MT-null cell lines by means of flow cytometryD Colangelo
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche, , Via Solaroli 17, 28100 Novara, Italy
Biometals 17:365-70. 2004..Indeed, in GKA2 cell line, pretreatment with Cd2+ did not reduce but even enhanced the oxidative stress...
- Mercury- and copper-induced lysosomal membrane destabilisation depends on [Ca2+]i dependent phospholipase A2 activationB Marchi
Dipartimento di Biologia Sperimentale Ambientale e Applicata, Universita di Genova, Viale Benedetto XV 5, 16132 Genova, Italy
Aquat Toxicol 66:197-204. 2004..8-2-folds, that was prevented by pre-incubation with AACOCF3 but not with BEL. These data indicate an involvement of cPLA2 in lysosomal membrane destabilisation induced by heavy metals...
- Assessment of heavy metal contamination using real-time PCR analysis of mussel metallothionein mt10 and mt20 expression: a validation along the Tunisian coastM Banni
Department of Environmental and Life Science, University of Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Alessandria, Italy
Biomarkers 12:369-83. 2007....
- The use of biomarkers in biomonitoring: a 2-tier approach assessing the level of pollutant-induced stress syndrome in sentinel organismsA Viarengo
Department of Environmental and Life Sciences DiSAV, University of Piemonte Orientale, Via Bellini 25 G 15100 Alessandria, Italy
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 146:281-300. 2007..A selection of biomarkers of stress, genotoxicity and exposure usually employed in biomonitoring programmes is presented, together with a brief overview of new biomolecular approaches...
- Development of an expert system for the integration of biomarker responses in mussels into an animal health indexA Dagnino
Dipartimento di Scienze dell Ambiente e della Vita, Universita del Piemonte Orientale Amedeo Avogadro, Alessandria, Italy
Biomarkers 12:155-72. 2007..The system represents a simple tool for risk assessment of the harmful impact of contaminants by providing a clear indication of the degree of stress syndrome induced by pollutants in mussels...
- An overview of the BEEP Stavanger workshopD M Pampanin
International Research Institute of Stavanger (IRIS) AS, Mekjarvik 12, N-4070 Randaberg, Norway
Aquat Toxicol 78:S124-6. 2006..It is of interest to develop statistical tools which can integrate the results from a battery of biomarkers in order to obtain a more complete picture of environmental impact...
- Background for the BEEP Stavanger workshops: Biological effects on marine organisms in two common, large, laboratory experiments and in a field study. Comparison of the value (sensitivity, specificity, etc.) of core and new biomarkersD M Pampanin
Aquat Toxicol 78:S1-4. 2006
- Cytochemical localization and quantification of plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase activity in mollusc digestive gland cellsG Pons
Department of Science and Advanced Technology, University of Piemonte Orientale A. Avogadro, Alessandria, Italy
Eur J Histochem 46:31-40. 2002..The possible implications of the different cellular distributions of PMCA activity is discussed...