Angelo L Vescovi
- Brain tumour stem cellsAngelo L Vescovi
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milan Bicocca, Milan 20126, Italy
Nat Rev Cancer 6:425-36. 2006..The emerging hypothesis is that alterations in the cellular and genetic mechanisms that control adult neurogenesis might contribute to brain tumorigenesis, thereby allowing the identification of new therapeutic strategies...
- PDGF receptor alpha inhibition induces apoptosis in glioblastoma cancer stem cells refractory to anti-Notch and anti-EGFR treatmentCarlo Cenciarelli
Institute of Translational Pharmacology CNR, Roma, Italy
Mol Cancer 13:247. 2014....
- Robust generation of oligodendrocyte progenitors from human neural stem cells and engraftment in experimental demyelination models in miceMargherita Neri
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy HSR TIGET, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e10145. 2010..The aim of this work was to obtain enriched and renewable cultures of hNSC-derived oligodendroglial cells by means of epigenetic manipulation...
- Isolation and intracerebral grafting of nontransformed multipotential embryonic human CNS stem cellsA L Vescovi
National Neurological Institute C Besta, Milan, Italy
J Neurotrauma 16:689-93. 1999....
- Mild hypoxia enhances proliferation and multipotency of human neural stem cellsGuido Santilli
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milano Bicocca, Milan, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e8575. 2010..In the central nervous system, physiological concentrations of oxygen range from 0.55 to 8% oxygen. In particular, in the in the subventricular zone niche area, it's estimated to be 2.5 to 3%...
- Adult neural stem cellsRossella Galli
Stem Cell Research Institute HSR SCRI, DIBI H S Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 438:67-84. 2008..The proper application of this method to the cells allows the establishment of long-term expanding stable NSC lines, starting from different neural tissues as the adult rodent CNS and human brain tumor specimens...
- Efficient in vitro labeling of human neural precursor cells with superparamagnetic iron oxide particles: relevance for in vivo cell trackingMargherita Neri
aStem Cell Research Institute, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Stem Cells 26:505-16. 2008....
- Clonal analyses and cryopreservation of neural stem cell culturesAngela Gritti
Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy, DIBIT San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 438:173-84. 2008..We illustrate and discuss methods for the isolation, propagation, cryopreservation, and functional characterization of NSCs, focusing on the essential issue of their clonogenic capacity...
- Clonal analyses and cryopreservation of neural stem cell culturesAngelo L Vescovi
Institute for Stem Cell Research, Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 198:115-23. 2002
- Unique expression and localization of aquaporin-4 and aquaporin-9 in murine and human neural stem cells and in their glial progenyChiara Cavazzin
Institute for Stem Cell Research, DIBIT, Fond San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Glia 53:167-81. 2006..We provide a reliable and standardized in vitro experimental model to perform functional studies as well as toxicological and pharmacological screenings...
- Differentiated human neural stem cells: a new ex vivo model to study HHV-6 infection of the central nervous systemLidia De Filippis
Stem Cell Research Institute, DIBIT, San Raffaele Scientific Institute 20132 Milan, Milan, Italy
J Clin Virol 37:S27-32. 2006....
- Inorganic mercury changes the fate of murine CNS stem cellsSabrina Cedrola
Department of General Physiology and Biochemistry, Section of General Pathology, Celoria 26, Milan, Italy
FASEB J 17:869-71. 2003..These results demonstrate that inorganic mercury produces toxicity in the ANSC-derived neuronal population and affects the biological properties of the glial-derived population...
- A novel, immortal, and multipotent human neural stem cell line generating functional neurons and oligodendrocytesLidia De Filippis
Department of Biotechnologies, Fondazione Centro San Raffaele del Monte Tabor, Milan, Italy
Stem Cells 25:2312-21. 2007....
- Brain cancer stem cellsSara G M Piccirillo
Department of Biosciences and Biotechnology, University of Milan Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 2, Building U3, 20126 Milan, Italy
J Mol Med (Berl) 87:1087-95. 2009..This review includes a summary review on brain cancer cells and their usefulness as emerging targets in cancer cell therapy...
- Emx2 regulates the proliferation of stem cells of the adult mammalian central nervous systemRossella Galli
Stem Cell Research Institute, H S Raffaele, Via Olgettina 58, Milan, I 20132, Italy
Development 129:1633-44. 2002..Rather, when Emx2 expression is abolished, the frequency of symmetric divisions that generate two stem cells increases, whereas it decreases when Emx2 expression is enhanced...
- Adult neural stem cells: plasticity and developmental potentialAngela Gritti
Institute for Stem Cell Research, DIBIT, S Raffaele Hospital, Via Olgettina 58, Milan, Italy
J Physiol Paris 96:81-90. 2002....
- The EphA2 receptor drives self-renewal and tumorigenicity in stem-like tumor-propagating cells from human glioblastomasElena Binda
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milan Bicocca, 20126 Milan, Italy
Cancer Cell 22:765-80. 2012..Infusion of ephrinA1-Fc into intracranial xenografts elicited strong tumor-suppressing effects, suggestive of therapeutic applications...
- Brain tumour stem cells: possibilities of new therapeutic strategiesSara G M Piccirillo
University of Milan, Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, Bicocca and Stemgen, SPA, Milan, Italy
Expert Opin Biol Ther 7:1129-35. 2007....
- Cyclopamine-mediated hedgehog pathway inhibition depletes stem-like cancer cells in glioblastomaEli E Bar
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, 720 Rutland Avenue, Ross Building 558, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Stem Cells 25:2524-33. 2007..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Multipotent neural stem cells reside into the rostral extension and olfactory bulb of adult rodentsAngela Gritti
Institute for Stem Cell Research, Department of Biotechnology, San Raffaele Hospital, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Neurosci 22:437-45. 2002..These findings demonstrate that stem cells are not confined to the forebrain periventricular region and indicate that stem cells endowed with different functional characteristics occur at different levels of the SVZ-RE pathway...
- Systematic studies of a self-assembling peptide nanofiber scaffold with other scaffoldsFabrizio Gelain
Center for Biomedical Engineering NE47 379, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7:424-34. 2007....
- Defining a developmental path to neural fate by global expression profiling of mouse embryonic stem cells and adult neural stem/progenitor cellsKazuhiro Aiba
Developmental Genomics and Aging Section, Laboratory of Genetics, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Stem Cells 24:889-95. 2006..We suggest that this PC1 defines a path to neural fate, providing a scale for the degree of commitment/differentiation...
- Injection of adult neurospheres induces recovery in a chronic model of multiple sclerosisStefano Pluchino
Neuroimmunology Unit DIBIT, San Raffaele Hospital, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Nature 422:688-94. 2003..Thus, adult neural precursor cells promote multifocal remyelination and functional recovery after intravenous or intrathecal injection in a chronic model of multiple sclerosis...
- Ground-breaking stem-cell work has been reproducedAngelo L Vescovi
Nature 447:259. 2007