Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Milan
- Serotonin involvement in the metamorphosis of the hydroid Eudendrium racemosumGiuliana Zega
Dipartimento di Biologia, Sez Zoologia S N, Universit Statale di Milano, Milan, Italy
Int J Dev Biol 51:307-13. 2007..Results from this work showed that 5-HT could stimulate metamorphosis in E. racemosum planulae in the presence of a natural inducer. A mechanism by which this neurotransmitter could act in this phase is proposed...
- Dopamine and serotonin modulate the onset of metamorphosis in the ascidian Phallusia mammillataGiuliana Zega
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria 26, I 20133, Milano, Italy
Dev Biol 282:246-56. 2005..So, it is possible to suppose that dopamine signaling delayed metamorphosis while serotonin signaling triggers it. We propose a mechanism by which these neurotransmitters may modulate the timing of metamorphosis in larvae...
- Developmental expression of glutamic acid decarboxylase and of gamma-aminobutyric acid type B receptors in the ascidian Ciona intestinalisGiuliana Zega
Dipartimento di Biologia, University of Milan, 20133, Milano, Italy
J Comp Neurol 506:489-505. 2008..intestinalis nervous system and that it can signal through GABA(B) receptors both pre- and postsynaptically to modulate different sensory inputs and subsequent swimming activity...
- Development of swimming behaviour in the larva of the ascidian Ciona intestinalisGiuliana Zega
Neurobiology Laboratory Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Villa Comunale I 80121 Naples, Italy
J Exp Biol 209:3405-12. 2006..Our results provide a starting point for future studies that aim to characterize the nervous control of ascidian locomotion, in wild-type or mutant larvae...
- WAY-100635, an antagonist of 5-HT(1A) receptor, causes malformations of the CNS in ascidian embryosRoberta Pennati
Department of Biology, sez Zoologia S N 7B, University of Milan, Via Celoria 26, 20133 Milan, Italy
Dev Genes Evol 213:187-92. 2003..These results suggest that 5-HT plays a role in the development of the neural system in ascidians and its action is mediated by receptors similar to the members of the 5-HT(1A) receptor subtype of mammals...
- Developmental expression of tryptophan hydroxylase gene in Ciona intestinalisRoberta Pennati
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria 26, 20133 Milano, Italy
Dev Genes Evol 217:307-13. 2007..Moreover, we discussed the involvement of serotonin in the control of larval locomotory activity...
- Effects of the azole fungicide Imazalil on the development of the ascidian Ciona intestinalis (Chordata, Tunicata): morphological and molecular characterization of the induced phenotypeGiuliana Zega
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria, 26, I 20133 Milano, Italy
Aquat Toxicol 91:255-61. 2009..It is likely that the fungicidal teratogenic mechanism involved RA signalling but that its effects on ascidian development depend on a more complex mechanism...
- Toxic effects of two pesticides, Imazalil and Triadimefon, on the early development of the ascidian Phallusia mammillata (Chordata, Ascidiacea)Roberta Pennati
Department of Biology, University of Milano, Via Celoria 26, 20133, Milano, Italy
Aquat Toxicol 79:205-12. 2006..Ascidians proved to be good models to study the toxic effects of pesticides since they offered both the convenience of working with an invertebrate species and the tissue sensitivity to chemical compound comparable to vertebrates...
- Fluconazole induces teratogenic effects in the tunicate Phallusia mammillataSilvia Groppelli
Department of Biology, University of Milano, Via Celoria 26, 20133 Milano, Italy
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 23:265-71. 2007..These anomalies resulted similar to those induced by retinoic acid (RA) treatment. Thus, it could be hypothesized that FLUCO and RA may act with a similar pathogenic mechanism in ascidian larvae, as it has been proposed for mammals...
- Neurotoxic effect of the herbicide paraquat on ascidian larvaeGiuliana Zega
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria 26, 20133, Milano, Italy
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 29:24-31. 2010..For its sensitivity to paraquat and its simple chordate body plan, ascidian larva is a promising animal model to further investigate the molecular mechanism of paraquat neurotoxicity...