Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Topical butyrate improves efficacy of 5-ASA in refractory distal ulcerative colitis: results of a multicentre trialP Vernia
Dipartmento Scienze Cliniche, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 33:244-8. 2003..The present study aimed at confirming, with adequate statistical power, previous data indicating the usefulness of topical butyrate and 5-ASA in the treatment of this condition...
- Lactose malabsorption, irritable bowel syndrome and self-reported milk intoleranceP Vernia
Chair of Gastroenterology 1, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 33:234-9. 2001..Thus, the role of hydrogen breath testing in the diagnostic work-up of patients with nonspecific intestinal symptoms is still debated...
- Diagnosis of lactose intolerance and the "nocebo" effect: the role of negative expectationsPiero Vernia
Gastroenterologia A, Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche, Sapienza Universita di Roma, Viale del Policlinico, 00161 Roma, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 42:616-9. 2010..The present study established to what extent the occurrence of symptoms during a "negative" H(2) breath test may result from a "nocebo effect" instead of lack of sensitivity of the procedure...
- Leukocytapheresis in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease: Current position and perspectivesPiero Vernia
GI Unit Department of Clinical Sciences, Sapienza Universita di Roma, V le del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Transfus Apher Sci 43:227-9. 2010....
- Is Cronkhite-Canada Syndrome necessarily a late-onset disease?Piero Vernia
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Clinical Science, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:1139-41. 2005..The concept that Cronkhite-Canada Syndrome is a late-onset disease should probably be reconsidered as it may remain asymptomatic, and thus not diagnosed, for a long a time...
- Self-reported milk intolerance in irritable bowel syndrome: what should we believe?Piero Vernia
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche, Cattedra di Gastroentrologia, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Policlinico Umberto I, 00161 Rome, Italy
Clin Nutr 23:996-1000. 2004..The aim is to define the relationship between patient perception of milk tolerance/intolerance, lactose malabsorption and abdominal symptoms in IBS...
- Effect of predominant methanogenic flora on the outcome of lactose breath test in irritable bowel syndrome patientsP Vernia
Cattedra di Gastroenterologia 1, Dipartimento Scienze Cliniche, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1116-9. 2003..The present study was designed to evaluate the effect of predominant fasting methane CH(4) or H(2) production on the outcome of lactose HBT, in a large, homogeneous series of adult patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)...
- Hydrogen breath test--diet and basal H2 excretion: a technical noteE V Avallone
Department of Clinical Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Digestion 82:39-41. 2010..An additional reduction in the intake of complex carbohydrates in the preceding 24 h is suggested in some centers. The issue, however, has never been directly investigated...
- Methodology and indications of H2-breath testing in gastrointestinal diseases: the Rome Consensus ConferenceA Gasbarrini
Department of Internal Medicine, Gemelli Hospital, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:1-49. 2009..There are many differences in the methodology, and the tests are increasingly popular...
- Hydrogen breath test for the diagnosis of lactose intolerance, is the routine sugar load the best one?Fiorenza Argnani
Gastroenterologia A e Scienza dell Alimentazione, Sapienza Universita di Roma, Roma 00161, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 14:6204-7. 2008..To evaluate the prevalence of lactose intolerance (LI) following a load of 12.5 g in patients diagnosed as high-grade malabsorbers using the hydrogen breath test (HBT)-25...
- Hydrogen breath test for diagnosis of lactose malabsorption: the importance of timing and the number of breath samplesMauro Di Camillo
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche, Universita di Roma, La Sapienza, Italy
Can J Gastroenterol 20:265-8. 2006..The hydrogen breath test (H(2)BT) is the most widely used procedure in the diagnostic workup of lactose malabsorption and lactose intolerance...
- Infliximab in refractory pouchitis complicated by fistulae following ileo-anal pouch for ulcerative colitisA Viscido
GI Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:1263-71. 2003..To determine the efficacy of infliximab in the treatment of chronic refractory pouchitis complicated by fistulae following ileal pouch-anal anastomosis for ulcerative colitis...
- Can colorectal cancer mass-screening organization be evidence-based? Lessons from failures: the experimental and pilot phases of the Lazio programAntonio Federici
Agency for Public Health, Lazio Region, via di S Costanza 53, 00198, Rome, Italy
BMC Public Health 8:318. 2008..Screening programmes should be organized to translate theoretical efficacy into effectiveness. An evidence-based organizational model of colorectal cancer screening (CRCS) should assure feasibility and high compliance...
- GI distension in severe ulcerative colitisGiovanni Latella
Gastroenterology Unit I, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1169-75. 2002..In this study we prospectively evaluated the prevalence of GI distension and its relationship to clinical outcome in patients with severe UC...