Affiliation: University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- Urinary and plasma homocysteine and cysteine levels during prolonged oral N-acetylcysteine therapyPaolo Ventura
Department of Internal Medicine, Chair of Internal Medicine II, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Pharmacology 68:105-14. 2003..This approach may be important, as an association or alternative therapy in hyperhomocysteinemic conditions of poor responses to vitamins...
- A challenging diagnosis for potential fatal diseases: recommendations for diagnosing acute porphyriasPaolo Ventura
Centre for Porphyrias, Division of Internal Medicine II, Department of Medical and Surgical Science University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Policlinico Hospital, Modena, Italy Electronic address
Eur J Intern Med 25:497-505. 2014..In this paper, we provide some recommendations for the diagnostic steps of acute porphyrias by reviewing literature and referring to clinical experience of the board members of the Gruppo Italiano Porfiria (GrIP). ..
- Relevance of different apolipoprotein content in binding of homocysteine to plasma lipoproteinsP Ventura
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Department of Internal Medicine, Chair of Internal Medicine II, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 13:218-26. 2003..The present study sets out to evaluate the lipoprotein-Hcy (LP-Hcy) binding in vivo and the possible influence of different apolipoprotein content in this binding, being lipoprotein oxidation a possible mechanism of Hcy-induced damage...
- Hyperhomocysteinemia and other newly recognized inherited coagulation disorders (factor V Leiden and prothrombin gene mutation) in patients with idiopathic cerebral vein thrombosisPaolo Ventura
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:153-9. 2004..New, inherited - factor V Leiden (FVL) and prothrombin gene mutation (PTHRA20210) - and inherited/acquired - hyperhomocysteinemia (HHcy) - prothrombotic conditions have been detected recently...
- Red wine consumption prevents vascular oxidative stress induced by a high-fat meal in healthy volunteersPaolo Ventura
Dept of Internal Medicine, Section of Geriatrics and Gerontology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74:137-43. 2004....
- A role for homocysteine increase in haemolysis of megaloblastic anaemias due to vitamin B(12) and folate deficiency: results from an in vitro experiencePaolo Ventura
Dipt di Medicine e Specialità Mediche, Cattedra di Medicina Interna II, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 71 Policlinico di Modena, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1739:33-42. 2004..Our data, deriving from an in vitro experience, suggest a possible role of Hcy accumulation due to vitamin B(12) and folate deficiencies in haemolysis associated to MA due to vitamin deficiency...
- Hyperhomocysteinaemia in chronic liver diseases: role of disease stage, vitamin status and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase geneticsPaolo Ventura
Dipt di Medicine e Specialità Mediche, Cattedra di Medicina Interna II, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Policlinico di Modena, Italy
Liver Int 25:49-56. 2005....
- The acute porphyrias: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge in internal and emergency medicinePaolo Ventura
Department of Medicines and Medical Specialties, Ambulatorio delle Porfirie e delle Malattie da Disturbo del Metabolismo degli Aminoacidi, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Policlinico of Modena, Largo del Pozzo 71, Modena, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 4:297-308. 2009....
- Hepcidin expression does not rescue the iron-poor phenotype of Kupffer cells in Hfe-null mice after liver transplantationCinzia Garuti
Center for Hemochromatosis, University Hospital of Modena, Modena, Italy
Gastroenterology 139:315-22.e1. 2010..However, the intestine does not appear to be the site of mutant HFE activity in the disease; we investigated the role of the liver-the source of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin-in pathogenesis in mice...
- Serum ferritin as a predictor of treatment outcome in patients with chronic hepatitis CFrancesca Ferrara
Department of Internal Medicine, Center for Hemochromatosis, University Hospital of Modena, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 104:605-16. 2009..Antiviral treatment in chronic hepatitis C (CHC) involves ribavirin, a hemolytic agent. We planned a prospective study to evaluate whether drug-induced iron perturbation is clinically relevant as it relates to therapeutic outcome...
- A large deletion on chromosome 11 in acute intermittent porphyriaElena Di Pierro
Department of Internal Medicine, Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli and Regina Elena, Foundation IRCCS, University of Milan, Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 37:50-4. 2006..Even if the deletions include the entire HMBS and H2AFX genes and 1463 bp of the final portion of DPAGT1 gene, our patients had no other symptoms than AIP...
- Drugs and acute porphyrias: reasons for a hazardous relationshipGiulia Roveri
Centre for Porphyrias and Diseases from Disturbances of Amino Acid Metabolism, Division of Internal Medicine II, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences for Children and Adults, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Postgrad Med 126:108-20. 2014....