Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Acute stroke trials: the problems of local investigators?D Toni
Department of Neurological Sciences, University La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 30, I 00182 Rome, Italy
Eur Neurol 49:109-14. 2003..It is just a greater involvement of these latter, possibly free from bureaucratic laces, which might help a balance to be struck between academic and industrial aims...
- Intravenous thrombolysis in young stroke patients: results from the SITS-ISTRD Toni
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, La Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Neurology 78:880-7. 2012..To assess safety and efficacy of thrombolysis in 18- to 50-year-old patients compared to those aged 51 to 80 years recorded in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-International Stroke Thrombolysis Register (SITS-ISTR)...
- Intravenous thrombolysis with rt-PA in acute ischemic stroke patients aged older than 80 years in ItalyDanilo Toni
Unità di Trattamento Neurovascolare, Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Cerebrovasc Dis 25:129-35. 2008..However, little information exists on its use in elderly patients, in particular those aged >80 years, who at present are excluded from treatment...
- Specific therapies for ischaemic stroke: rTPA and othersD Toni
Unità di Trattamento Neurovascolare, University La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 30, I 00185 Rome, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:S26-8. 2005..However, some studies have brought new light and new doubts on the roles of these traditional therapies...
- The SITS-MOST registryD Toni
Unità di Trattamento Neurovascolare, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Neurol Sci 27:S260-2. 2006....
- Treatment of cerebrovascular diseases: state of the art and perspectivesD Toni
Department of Neurological Sciences, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 38:S83-6. 2001....
- Within-day and weekly variations of thrombolysis in acute ischemic stroke: results from safe implementation of treatments in stroke-international stroke thrombolysis registerSvetlana Lorenzano
From the Emergency Department Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Policlinico Umberto I Hospital, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy S L, D T Karolinska Stroke Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden N A, N W Department of Neurology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland T T Acute Stroke Unit, Department of Neuroscience, Hospital Universitari Germas Trias i Pujol, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain M G, A D International Clinical Research Center, Neurology Department, St Anne s Hospital, Brno, Czech Republic R M Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Plzen, Czech Republic P S and Department of Neurology and Rehabilitation, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland J O
Stroke 45:176-84. 2014..In this large cohort study, we evaluated whether thrombolytic treatment has a within-day and weekly variability corresponding to circadian and weekly patterns of ischemic stroke onset, and whether these have impact on clinical outcome...
- Does sex influence the response to intravenous thrombolysis in ischemic stroke?: answers from safe implementation of treatments in Stroke-International Stroke Thrombolysis RegisterSvetlana Lorenzano
From the Emergency Department Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Policlinico Umberto I Hospital, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy S L, A F, D T Karolinska Stroke Research Unit, Department of Neurology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden N A, N W International Clinical Research Center, Neurology Department, St Anne s Hospital, Brno, Czech Republic R M Department of Neurology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland T T and Stroke Research Offices, Royal Infirmary, Keele University, North Staffordshire, United Kingdom C R
Stroke 44:3401-6. 2013..We aimed to evaluate differences in 3-month outcome between sexes in intravenous tissue-type plasminogen activator-treated patients registered in the Safe Implementation of Treatments in Stroke-International Stroke Thrombolysis Register...
- TESPI (Thrombolysis in Elderly Stroke Patients in Italy): a randomized controlled trial of alteplase (rt-PA) versus standard treatment in acute ischaemic stroke in patients aged more than 80 years where thrombolysis is initiated within three hours after sSvetlana Lorenzano
Unità di Trattamento Neurovascolare, Department of Neurological Sciences, Policlinico Umberto I Sapienza University, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Int J Stroke 7:250-7. 2012..This article describes the design of the Thrombolysis in Elderly Stroke Patients in Italy (TESPI) trial planned to fill the lack of controlled data on i.v. thrombolysis in this age category of stroke patients...
- Determinants of plasma levels of brain natriuretic peptide after acute ischemic stroke or TIAEmanuele Di Angelantonio
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
J Neurol Sci 260:139-42. 2007..These results encourage further investigation of plasma BNP concentration as a potential marker of the presence of left atrial sources of emboli...
- Which model of stroke unit is better for stroke patient management?Svetlana Lorenzano
Neurovascular Treatment Unit, Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Clin Exp Hypertens 28:377-82. 2006....
- Trends in Door-to-Thrombolysis Time in the Safe Implementation of Stroke Thrombolysis Registry: Effect of Center Volume and Duration of Registry MembershipDaniel Strbian
From the Department of Neurology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland D S, T T Department of Neurology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden N A, N W Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom K R L Emergency Department Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Policlinico Umberto I Hospital, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy D T University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom C R and Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland, University of Helsinki, Finland I L S
Stroke 46:1275-80. 2015..There are considerable intercenter variations in treatment delivery. We analyzed the trends of door-to-needle times (DNTs) in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke registry between 2003 and 2011...
- Focal cerebral ischaemia induces corticotropin releasing factor (CRF) vascular immunoreactivity in rat occluded hemisphereM De Michele
Wellcome Surgical Institute, University of Glasgow, Garscube Estate, Bearsden Road, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
Regul Pept 143:69-75. 2007..These data provide morphologic support for a role of CRF in the pathophysiology of cerebral ischaemia...
- Safe implementation of thrombolysis in stroke-monitoring study in ItalyS Lorenzano
Unità di Trattamento Neurovascolare, Department of Neurological Sciences, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurol 17:163-7. 2010..v. alteplase within 3 h of ischaemic stroke outside the setting of clinical trials...
- The need for emergency surgical treatment in carotid-related stroke in evolution and crescendo transient ischemic attackLaura Capoccia
Vascular Surgery Division, Department of Surgery Paride Stefanini, Policlinico Umberto I, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
J Vasc Surg 55:1611-7. 2012..The purpose of this study was to examine the safety of emergency carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in patients with carotid stenosis and unstable neurological symptoms...
- An observational study on electrolyte disorders in the acute phase of ischemic stroke and their prognostic valueLuisa Fofi
Clinical Trial Center, IRCCS San Raffaele Pisana, via della Pisana 235, Rome, Italy
J Clin Neurosci 19:513-6. 2012..Our work suggests an association between serum sodium alterations and mortality, and between high sodium levels and neurological clinical impairment, in the acute phase of an ischemic stroke...
- An emergency clinical pathway for stroke patients--results of a cluster randomised trial (isrctn41456865)Assunta De Luca
Public Health Agency of the Latium Region, Rome, Italy
BMC Health Serv Res 9:14. 2009..Emergency Clinical Pathways (ECP) for stroke have never been tested in randomized controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Stroke prediction after transient ischemic attacks in patients admitted to a stroke unitFrancesca Tari Capone
Department of Neuroscience, Mental Health and Sensory Organs, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Eur Neurol 67:34-8. 2012..Transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) bear a presumed high risk of early recurrence of stroke. Data in the literature, however, are inconsistent, as recurrence rates range from 9.5 to 20%, at 90 days...
- Emergency and early carotid endarterectomy in patients with acute ischemic stroke selected with a predefined protocol. A prospective pilot studyE Sbarigia
Vascular Surgery Section, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Int Angiol 22:426-30. 2003..The aim of this study was to verify the safety and feasibility of early CEA in a consecutive series of patients with acute ischemic stroke observed in an emergency Department Stroke Unit...
- Early spontaneous improvement and deterioration of ischemic stroke patients. A serial study with transcranial Doppler ultrasonographyD Toni
Department of Neurological Sciences, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Stroke 29:1144-8. 1998..The purpose of our study was to investigate whether emergency transcranial Doppler (TCD) findings and their modifications over the first 48 hours are related to early neurological changes in acute ischemic stroke patients...
- Prognostic significance of admission levels of troponin I in patients with acute ischaemic strokeE Di Angelantonio
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 30, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:76-81. 2005..Markers of myocardial injury on admission deserve investigation as potential predictors of poor outcome from stroke...
- Types of stroke recurrence in patients with ischemic stroke: a substudy from the PRoFESS trialDanilo Toni
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Int J Stroke 9:873-8. 2014..Risk profiles for stroke recurrence are poorly characterized...
- Spontaneous multiple cervical artery dissection: two case reports and a review of the literatureFederica Pace
Department of Clinical Medicine, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Emerg Med 27:133-8. 2004..We describe two cases of multiple spontaneous CADs presenting as transient ischemic attack (TIA), in which only a specific diagnostic flow-chart allowed us to recognize multiple vessel involvement and start the appropriate therapy...
- Specific expression of galanin in the peri-infarct zone after permanent focal cerebral ischemia in the ratManuela De Michele
Department of Neuroscience, University La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita, 30, 00185, Rome, Italy
Regul Pept 134:38-45. 2006..Gal immunoreactivity was also detected in myelinated fibers 4 and 24 h after focal ischemia. Gal may be a peptide with neurotrophic and plasticity functions under stress conditions...
- Early carotid endarterectomy after ischemic stroke: the results of a prospective multicenter Italian studyE Sbarigia
I Cattedra di Chirurgia Vascolare, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico, Rome, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:229-35. 2006..To evaluate safety of early carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in patients with acute brain ischemia presenting to the emergency department stroke units (EDSU)...
- Diffusion-weighted MRI in patients with non-diagnostic CT in the post-acute phase of cerebral ischemiaP Totaro
Section of Neuroradiology, Department of Neurological Sciences, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Eur Neurol 63:94-100. 2010..The aim of our work was to evaluate the diagnostic value of diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) in the post-acute phase of cerebral ischemia in patients in whom CT did not yield a definitive diagnosis...
- Computed tomography findings in the first few hours of ischemic stroke: implications for the clinicianM Fiorelli
Department of Neurological Sciences, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Neurol Sci 173:10-7. 2000....
- Thrombolysis with alteplase 3 to 4.5 hours after acute ischemic strokeWerner Hacke
Department of Neurology, Universitat Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
N Engl J Med 359:1317-29. 2008..We tested the efficacy and safety of alteplase administered between 3 and 4.5 hours after the onset of a stroke...
- Can the time window for administration of thrombolytics in stroke be increased?Geoffrey A Donnan
National Stroke Research Institute, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, 300 Waterdale Road, West Heidelberg, Victoria 3081, Australia
CNS Drugs 17:995-1011. 2003..Should these means of extending the time window for thrombolysis prove successful, a more widespread use of this form of acute stroke therapy will be possible...
- Acute treatment of ischaemic stroke. European Stroke InitiativeDanilo Toni
Cerebrovasc Dis 17:30-46. 2004
- Thrombolysis with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Monitoring Study (SITS-MOST): an observational studyNils Wahlgren
Department of Neurology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 369:275-82. 2007..Under European Union regulations, SITS-MOST was required to assess the safety profile of alteplase in clinical practice by comparison with results in randomised controlled trials...
- Transforming guidelines in routine practiceMaria Luisa Sacchetti
Stroke 39:e22; author reply e23. 2008
- Thrombolysis with alteplase 3-4.5 h after acute ischaemic stroke (SITS-ISTR): an observational studyNils Wahlgren
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 372:1303-9. 2008..5 h versus those treated within 3 h, who were recorded in the in the Safe Implementation of Treatments in Stroke (SITS), a prospective internet-based audit of the International Stroke Thrombolysis Registry (ISTR)...
- Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent strokeRalph L Sacco
Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1238-51. 2008..Recurrent stroke is a frequent, disabling event after ischemic stroke. This study compared the efficacy and safety of two antiplatelet regimens--aspirin plus extended-release dipyridamole (ASA-ERDP) versus clopidogrel...
- The COX-2 G/C -765 polymorphism may modulate the occurrence of cerebrovascular ischemiaDonatella Colaizzo
Unita di Aterosclerosi e Trombosi, I R C C S Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, S Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 17:93-6. 2006..07; 95% CI, 0.01-0.61). Our data show an association between the COX-2 G/C-765 gene polymorphism and cerebrovascular ischemia, suggesting that the COX-2 gene is a susceptibility locus for the risk of cerebrovascular ischemic disease...