Affiliation: University of Foggia
- Russo P, Arena M, Fiocco D, Capozzi V, Drider D, Spano G. Lactobacillus plantarum with broad antifungal activity: A promising approach to increase safety and shelf-life of cereal-based products. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;247:48-54 pubmed publisher..culmorum. Here we demonstrate, for the first time, the suitability of LAB strains for the fermentation and antifungal biopreservation of oat-based products. ..
- Berbegal C, Peña N, Russo P, Grieco F, Pardo I, Ferrer S, et al. Technological properties of Lactobacillus plantarum strains isolated from grape must fermentation. Food Microbiol. 2016;57:187-94 pubmed publisher..plantarum in reason of the MLF performances. The proposed procedure can be generalized as a standard method for the selection of bacterial resources for the design of MLF starter cultures tailored for high pH must. ..
- Capozzi V, Di Toro M, Grieco F, Michelotti V, Salma M, Lamontanara A, et al. Viable But Not Culturable (VBNC) state of Brettanomyces bruxellensis in wine: New insights on molecular basis of VBNC behaviour using a transcriptomic approach. Food Microbiol. 2016;59:196-204 pubmed publisher..The evidences of a general repression of genes involved in DNA replication suggest the occurrence of a true resuscitation of cell rather than a simple regrowth. ..
- Arena M, Capozzi V, Spano G, Fiocco D. The potential of lactic acid bacteria to colonize biotic and abiotic surfaces and the investigation of their interactions and mechanisms. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;101:2641-2657 pubmed publisher..The vast spread of LAB surface-associated communities and the ability to control their occurrence hold great potentials for human health and food safety biotechnologies. ..
- Arena M, Caggianiello G, Russo P, Albenzio M, Massa S, Fiocco D, et al. Functional Starters for Functional Yogurt. Foods. 2015;4:15-33 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study revealed that the tested Lactobacilli exhibited suitable technological features for yogurt production and might be used to formulate novel food with immunomodulating effects. ..
- Pérez Ramos A, Mohedano M, Lopez P, Spano G, Fiocco D, Russo P, et al. In Situ β-Glucan Fortification of Cereal-Based Matrices by Pediococcus parvulus 2.6: Technological Aspects and Prebiotic Potential. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..6 strain. Therefore, the cereal flours were a suitable substrate for in situ bio-fortification with the bacterial β-glucan, and these matrices could be used as carriers to enhance the beneficial properties of probiotic bacteria. ..
- Russo P, Fares C, Longo A, Spano G, Capozzi V. Lactobacillus plantarum with Broad Antifungal Activity as a Protective Starter Culture for Bread Production. Foods. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These results indicate the potential of L. plantarum UFG 121 as a biocontrol agent in bread production and suggest a species- or strain-depending sensitivity of the molds to the same microbial-based control strategy. ..
- Berbegal C, Spano G, Fragasso M, Grieco F, Russo P, Capozzi V. Starter cultures as biocontrol strategy to prevent Brettanomyces bruxellensis proliferation in wine. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2018;102:569-576 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the importance of dedicated characterization and selection of starter cultures for AF and MLF in wine, in order to reduce or prevent both growth of B. bruxellensis and its production of volatile phenols in the matrix. ..