Affiliation: University of Pisa
- Simoncini T, Caruso A, Giretti M, Scorticati C, Fu X, Garibaldi S, et al. Effects of dydrogesterone and of its stable metabolite, 20-alpha-dihydrodydrogesterone, on nitric oxide synthesis in human endothelial cells. Fertil Steril. 2006;86:1235-42 pubmed..These findings support the concept that synthetic progestins act differently on vascular cells and that hormonal preparations may differ as to their cardiovascular effects. ..
- Simoncini T, Caruso A, Garibaldi S, Fu X, Giretti M, Baldacci C, et al. Activation of nitric oxide synthesis in human endothelial cells using nomegestrol acetate. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;108:969-78 pubmed..Our findings show significant differences in the signal transduction pathways recruited by progesterone, nomegestrol acetate, and medroxyprogesterone acetate in human endothelial cells that may have relevant clinical implications. ..
- Simoncini T, Fu X, Caruso A, Garibaldi S, Baldacci C, Giretti M, et al. Drospirenone increases endothelial nitric oxide synthesis via a combined action on progesterone and mineralocorticoid receptors. Hum Reprod. 2007;22:2325-34 pubmed..DRSP acts on endothelial cells via a combined action through the P and MRs. These results help to interpret the anti-hypertensive effects of hormonal therapies containing DRSP. ..
- Fu X, Giretti M, Goglia L, Flamini M, Sanchez A, Baldacci C, et al. Comparative actions of progesterone, medroxyprogesterone acetate, drospirenone and nestorone on breast cancer cell migration and invasion. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:166 pubmed publisher..These findings support the concept that each progestin acts differently on breast cancer cells, which may have relevant clinical implications. ..
- Simoncini T, Fornari L, Mannella P, Varone G, Caruso A, Liao J, et al. Novel non-transcriptional mechanisms for estrogen receptor signaling in the cardiovascular system. Interaction of estrogen receptor alpha with phosphatidylinositol 3-OH kinase. Steroids. 2002;67:935-9 pubmed..This original non-transcriptional mechanism for ER signaling may play an important role in the generation of some of the rapid 'non-genomic' effects of estrogen. ..
- Simoncini T, Scorticati C, Mannella P, Fadiel A, Giretti M, Fu X, et al. Estrogen receptor alpha interacts with Galpha13 to drive actin remodeling and endothelial cell migration via the RhoA/Rho kinase/moesin pathway. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1756-71 pubmed..Furthermore, exposure of this estrogen receptor-dependent, nongenomic action of estrogen on human vascular endothelial cells is especially relevant to the present interest in the role of estrogen in cardiovascular protection. ..
- Simoncini T, Garibaldi S, Fu X, Pisaneschi S, Begliuomini S, Baldacci C, et al. Effects of phytoestrogens derived from red clover on atherogenic adhesion molecules in human endothelial cells. Menopause. 2008;15:542-50 pubmed publisher..Recent evidence suggests that these compounds may act neutrally or even beneficially on surrogate cardiovascular risk markers in postmenopausal women. However, little is known of the effects of phytoestrogens on vascular cells...