Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Nociceptive trigeminocervical reflexes in healthy subjectsMariano Serrao
Sapienza University of Rome, Polo Pontino, Rome, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 121:1563-8. 2010..The purpose of this study was to elicit more nociceptive TCR responses through preferential activation of the nociceptive afferents with a concentric surface electrode...
- Bladder filling attenuates spinal cord nociceptive reflexes in humansMariano Serrao
Unit of Neurorehabilitation, Department of Medical Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, ICOT, Latina, Italy Electronic address
Clin Neurophysiol 125:2271-6. 2014..To examine the viscerosomatic interaction between bladder afferents and somatic nociception we evaluated the effect of bladder filling on the nociceptive withdrawal reflex (NWR) in 21 healthy subjects...
- Electrophysiological correlates of episodic migraine chronification: evidence for thalamic involvementGianluca Coppola
G, B, Bietti Foundation IRCCS, Department of Neurophysiology of Vision and Neurophthalmology G, B, Bietti Foundation IRCCS, Via Livenza 3, Rome 00198, Italy
J Headache Pain 14:76. 2013..Here, we study conventional LF-SSEPs and HFOs in episodic migraineurs who developed chronic migraine (CM)...
- Sudden stopping in patients with cerebellar ataxiaMariano Serrao
Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, University of Rome Sapienza, Latina, Italy
Cerebellum 12:607-16. 2013....
- Improving neuro-oncological patients care: basic and practical concepts for nurse specialist in neuro-rehabilitationMichelangelo Bartolo
Neurorehabilitation Unit, IRCCS Neuromed, Mediterranean Neurological Institute, Pozzilli, Isernia, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 31:82. 2012..The purpose of the study is to identify the standard competencies for neurorehabilitation nurses that could be taught by means of a specialization course...
- Adaptive behaviour of the spinal cord in the transition from quiet stance to walkingMariano Serrao
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Polo Pontino, Latina, Italy
BMC Neurosci 13:80. 2012..The reflex parameters were measured and compared between subphases and in relation to the joint kinematics...
- Modulating effects of bodyweight unloading on the lower limb nociceptive withdrawal reflex during symmetrical stanceMariano Serrao
Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 123:1035-43. 2012..To investigate the effects of bodyweight unloading on the excitability of the nociceptive withdrawal reflex (NWR) and of its receptive fields organisation during quiet stance in humans...
- Gait pattern in inherited cerebellar ataxiasMariano Serrao
Department of Medical and Surgical Science and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Polo Pontino, Via Faggiana 34, 40100 Latina, Italy
Cerebellum 11:194-211. 2012....
- Reorganization of multi-muscle and joint withdrawal reflex during arm movements in post-stroke hemiparetic patientsMariano Serrao
University of Rome La Sapienza, Polo Pontino, Latina, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 123:527-40. 2012..To investigate the behavior of the nociceptive withdrawal reflex (NWR) in the upper limb during reaching and grasping movements in post-stroke hemiparetic patients...
- Modulation of spinal inhibitory reflex responses to cutaneous nociceptive stimuli during upper limb movementRomildo Don
Movement Analysis Laboratory, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 28:559-68. 2008..Study of the nociceptive inhibitory reflexes during movement offers new and more profound insights into the functional anatomical organization of the spinal interneuronal network mediating sensory-motor integration...
- Kinematic and electromyographic study of the nociceptive withdrawal reflex in the upper limbs during rest and movementMariano Serrao
Department of Neurology and Otolaryngology, Santa Maria Goretti Hospital, Latina, La Sapienza, University of Rome, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Neurosci 26:3505-13. 2006..Study of the upper limb NWR may provide a window onto the spinal neural control mechanisms operating during movement...
- Tonic pain abolishes cortical habituation of visual evoked potentials in healthy subjectsGianluca Coppola
G B Bietti Eye Foundation IRCCS, Dept of Neurophysiology of Vision and Neurophthalmology, Rome, Italy
J Pain 11:291-6. 2010..Tonic pain probably abolishes VEP habituation by acting on brainstem neural structures which modulate thalamo-cortical activation thereby changing visual cortex excitability...
- Turning strategies in patients with cerebellar ataxiaSilvia Mari
Rehabilitation Centre Policlinico Italia, Rome, Italy
Exp Brain Res 222:65-75. 2012..Given the high risk of falls related to this task, it would be useful to include turning training in the rehabilitation protocol of ataxic patients...
- Strategies adopted by cerebellar ataxia patients to perform U-turnsMariano Serrao
Rehabilitation Centre Policlinico Italia, Rome, Italy
Cerebellum 12:460-8. 2013..Some of the observed alterations are indicative of a primary deficit in limb-joint coordination, whereas others suggest that patients choose a compensatory strategy aimed at reducing the instability...
- Effects of diffuse noxious inhibitory controls on temporal summation of the RIII reflex in humansMariano Serrao
Department of Neurology and Otolaryngology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Pain 112:353-60. 2004....
- Planned gait termination in cerebellar ataxiasCarmela Conte
Rehabilitation Centre, Policlinico Italia, Piazza del Campidano 6, 00162, Rome, Italy
Cerebellum 11:896-904. 2012..Given the potential risk of falls when stopping, walking ataxic patients may benefit from a rehabilitation treatment focused on preserving and improving their ability to terminate gait safely...
- Relationship between recovery of calf-muscle biomechanical properties and gait pattern following surgery for achilles tendon ruptureRomildo Don
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 22:211-20. 2007..The relationship between ankle plantar flexor biomechanical properties and gait pattern following surgery for acute rupture of the Achilles tendon has not yet been fully investigated...
- Effect of painful heterotopic stimulation on the cutaneous silent period in the upper limbsPaolo Rossi
Dipartimento di Neurologia Clinica e Otorinolaringoiatria, Istituto di Clinica delle Malattie Nervose e Mentali, II Clinica Neurologica, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 30, 00185, Rome, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1-6. 2003....
- The contribution of trigemino-cervical reflexes in distinguishing progressive supranuclear palsy from multiple system atrophyMariano Serrao
Department of Medical and Surgical Science and Biotechnology, Sapienza University of Rome ICOT Polo Pontino, Latina, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 122:1812-5. 2011..To date, no study has investigated TCRs in multiple system atrophy (MSA), another atypical parkinsonism associated with brainstem involvement, which resembles PSP...
- Modelling the spine as a deformable body: Feasibility of reconstruction using an optoelectronic systemAlberto Ranavolo
Department of Occupational Medicine, INAIL, Via Fontana Candida 1, 00040 Monte Porzio Catone, Rome, Italy
Appl Ergon 44:192-9. 2013..Our findings indicate that spine shape can be reproduced by 5th order polynomial interpolation. The best approximating curves are obtained from either 10- or 9-marker sets. Sagittal angles are systematically underestimated...
- Lack of cold pressor test-induced effect on visual-evoked potentials in migraineGianluca Coppola
Department of Neurophysiology of Vision and Neurophthalmology, G B Bietti Eye Foundation, IRCCS, Via Livenza 3, Rome, Italy
J Headache Pain 11:115-21. 2010..Whether this abnormality reflects abnormal functional activity in the subcortical structures subserving tonic pain activation remains conjectural...
- Influence of the corticospinal tract on the cutaneous silent period: a study in patients with pyramidal syndromeFrancesca Gilio
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 30, 00185 Rome, Italy
Neurosci Lett 433:109-13. 2008..None of the other variables differed in patients and healthy subjects. Our findings suggest that corticospinal projections influence the CSP latency probably by modulating the balance of excitability in the underlying circuits...
- Spinal myoclonus with giant somatosensory evoked potentials and enhanced long-loop reflex: a case reportMariano Serrao
Department of Neurology and Otolaryngology, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Funct Neurol 19:203-6. 2004....
- Comparison between kinematic and kinetic methods for computing the vertical displacement of the center of mass during human hopping at different frequenciesAlberto Ranavolo
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Appl Biomech 24:271-9. 2008..We conclude that the segmental analysis and force platform methods can be considered to provide the most accurate results for COM vertical excursion during human hopping in a large range of hopping frequency...
- Experimental muscle pain decreases the frequency threshold of electrically elicited muscle crampsMariano Serrao
Rehabilitation Unit, Polo Pontino ICOT, Latina, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Exp Brain Res 182:301-8. 2007..9 +/- 3.2 muV and 101.6 +/- 6.0 Hz; P < 0.05). The results suggest that nociceptive muscle afferent activity induced by injection of hypertonic saline facilitates the generation of electrically elicited muscle cramps...
- Upper body kinematics in patients with cerebellar ataxiaCarmela Conte
Rehabilitation Centre, Movement Analysis Lab, Policlinico Italia, Rome, Italy
Cerebellum 13:689-97. 2014..These results suggest the need of specific rehabilitation treatments or the use of elastic orthoses that may be particularly useful to reduce trunk oscillations and improve dynamic stability. ..
- Biomechanical evaluation of supermarket cashiers before and after a redesign of the checkout counterFrancesco Draicchio
Department of Occupational Medicine, INAIL, Via Fontana Candida 1, Monte Porzio Catone, Rome, 00040, Italy
Ergonomics 55:650-69. 2012..Our results suggest that a disk wheel positioned in the bagging area reduces the biomechanical risk for cashiers and increases time spent resting...
- Sympathetic skin response evoked by laser skin stimulationPaolo Rossi
Department of Clinical Neurology and Otorhinolaryngology, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Funct Neurol 17:129-32. 2002..Our findings show that SSRs can easily be induced by laser stimuli and that this method shares the technical limitations of conventional eSSRs...
- Cutaneous silent period in hand muscles is lengthened by tramadol: Evidence for monoaminergic modulation?Francesco Pujia
Sapienza University of Rome, Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Neurology Section, Rome, Italy
Neurosci Lett 528:78-82. 2012..We suggest that the monoaminergic action of tramadol reinforces the activity of spinal inhibitory interneurons on α-motoneurons for the hand muscles...
- Electromyographic mixed nerve and cutaneous silent period in evaluating the A-delta fibres in a patient with hereditary sensory-autonomic neuropathyFablo Maria Corsi
G M Lancisi Department of Neurosciences, San Camillo Forlanini Hospital, Rome, Italy
Funct Neurol 17:31-4. 2002....
- Shortened cortical silent period in facial muscles of patients with migraineAntonio Curra
Department of Neurological Sciences, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Pain 132:124-31. 2007....
- Effects of a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor escitalopram on the cutaneous silent period: a randomized controlled study in healthy volunteersFrancesco Pujia
Sapienza University of Rome, Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Neurology Section, Rome, Italy Electronic address
Neurosci Lett 566:17-20. 2014..Thus, our results indicate the involvement of the monoaminergic system in controlling the spinal pain mechanisms by supraspinal descending pathways originating from the brainstem neural structures. ..
- Lateral inhibition in visual cortex of migraine patients between attacksGianluca Coppola
Departmen of Neurophysiology of Vision and Neuroophtalmology, G, B, Bietti Foundation IRCCS, Via Livenza 3 00198, Rome, Italy
J Headache Pain 14:20. 2013..We investigated lateral inhibition in the visual cortex during the migraine cycle and in healthy subjects by using differential temporal modulations of radial windmill-dartboard (WD) or partial-windmill (PW) visual patterns...
- Myoclonus of the scapula after acute long thoracic nerve lesion: a case reportFilippo Camerota
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Mov Disord 21:71-3. 2006..A combination of peripheral and central mechanisms may have induced the myoclonus in this case...
- Prefrontal cortex as a compensatory network in ataxic gait: a correlation study between cortical activity and gait parametersPietro Caliandro
Institute of Neurology, Catholic University, L go F Vito, Rome, Italy
Restor Neurol Neurosci 33:177-87. 2015..To investigate whether prefrontal cortex (PFC) functioning during ataxic gait is linked to compensatory mechanisms or to the typical intra-subject variability of the ataxic gait...
- Low doses of rotigotine in patients with antipsychotic-induced parkinsonismRoberto Di Fabio
Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Latina, Italy Von Siebenthal Clinic, Genzano, Italy Italian Hospital Group, Guidonia Montecelio, Italy San Giovanni di Dio Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Genzano, Italy and IRCCS Neuromed, Pozzilli, Italy
Clin Neuropharmacol 36:162-5. 2013....
- Caregivers burden and needs in community neurorehabilitationMichelangelo Bartolo
Neurorehabilitation Service Majorana, Consorzio Cooperative Ri Rei, Rome, Italy
J Rehabil Med 42:818-22. 2010..The aim of this study was to analyse the burden on caregivers of chronic neurological patients taking part in community neurorehabilitation programmes, and to describe caregivers' socio-demographic features and needs...
- Scuba diving is not associated with high prevalence of headache: a cross-sectional study in menRoberto Di Fabio
Department of Medico Surgical Sciences and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Latina, Italy
Headache 52:385-92. 2012..To study the prevalence of cephalalgia in male divers...
- Pre-perceptual pain sensory responses (N1 component) in type 1 diabetes mellitusPaolo Rossi
Institute of Neurology, La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 30, 00185, Rome, Italy
Neuroreport 13:1009-12. 2002..N1 and P2 potentials are delayed and decreased in parallel giving evidence that LEP abnormalities are not secondary to a cognitive dysfunction and mostly reflect a small-fiber dysfunction...