Affiliation: University of Bari
- Liver graft infection by HBV S-gene mutants in transplant patients receiving long-term HBIg prophylaxisT Santantonio
Heinrich Pette Institut fur experimentelle Virologie und Immunologie an der Universitat Hamburg, Germany
Hepatogastroenterology 46:1848-54. 1999....
- Acute hepatitis C: current status and remaining challengesTeresa Santantonio
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Policlinico, Bari, Italy
J Hepatol 49:625-33. 2008..We also discuss data from published clinical studies and focus on unresolved issues for which additional studies are needed in order to establish standardized treatment guidelines for the management of acute hepatitis C...
- Therapy of acute hepatitis C: a review of literatureT Santantonio
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 14:1686-9. 2008..Ongoing randomized controlled clinical trials should focus on unresolved questions and definitely establish the optimal treatment for acute hepatitis C...
- Risk factors and outcome among a large patient cohort with community-acquired acute hepatitis C in ItalyT Santantonio
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 43:1154-9. 2006..The epidemiology of acute hepatitis C has changed during the past decade in Western countries. Acute HCV infection has a high rate of chronicity, but it is unclear when patients with acute infection should be treated...
- Efficacy of a 24-week course of PEG-interferon alpha-2b monotherapy in patients with acute hepatitis C after failure of spontaneous clearanceTeresa Santantonio
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
J Hepatol 42:329-33. 2005....
- Treatment of acute hepatitis CT Santantonio
Clinical of Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, 70124 Bari, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 10:2077-80. 2004..However, additional data are required to improve the selection of those patients at great risk of progressing to chronic disease, and also to establish the optimal treatment in terms of risk/benefit and cost-effectiveness ratio...
- Lamivudine/interferon combination therapy in anti-HBe positive chronic hepatitis B patients: a controlled pilot studyTeresa Santantonio
Department of Internal Medicine, Immunology and Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Hepatol 36:799-804. 2002..In this study, lamivudine-interferon (LAM/IFN) combination therapy was compared to LAM monotherapy to verify if the combination treatment might improve efficacy and reduce the emergence of LAM-resistant mutants...
- Long-term follow-up of patients with anti-HBe/HBV DNA-positive chronic hepatitis B treated for 12 months with lamivudineT Santantonio
Clinica Malattie Infettive Università di Bari, Italy
J Hepatol 32:300-6. 2000..The aim of this study was to verify the long-term efficacy of lamivudine treatment of these patients and the incidence of lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B virus mutants...
- Natural course of acute hepatitis C: a long-term prospective studyT Santantonio
Department of Clinical Medicine, Immunology and Infectious Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:104-13. 2003....
- Adefovir dipivoxil resistance patterns in patients with lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis BTeresa Santantonio
Clinic of Infectious Diseases, University of Foggia, Ospedali Riuniti, Foggia, Italy
Antivir Ther 14:557-65. 2009..Risk factors for ADV resistance were also evaluated...
- Extended lamivudine treatment in patients with HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis BMario Rizzetto
Experimental Department of Gastroenterology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital C So Bramante, 88 10126 Turin, Italy
J Hepatol 42:173-9. 2005..The histological and clinical outcome of lamivudine 100mg/day was assessed in 76 HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B patients previously randomised to a double-blind comparison study of lamivudine and placebo...
- Clinical outcome of HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B in relation to virological response to lamivudineVito Di Marco
Cattedra e U O C di Gastroenterologia, Clinica Medica, Universita di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Hepatology 40:883-91. 2004..After 4 years of therapy, 39% of patients maintain a virological and biochemical response. Loss of virological response may lead to clinical deterioration in patients with cirrhosis...
- Hepatitis B surface antigen clearance in lamivudine-treated patients: main therapeutic goal?Teresa Santantonio
Gastroenterology 132:2617; author reply 2617-8. 2007
- Sustained virological response to interferon-alpha is associated with improved outcome in HCV-related cirrhosis: a retrospective studySavino Bruno
Liver Unit, Department of Medicine, AO Fatebenefratelli e Oftalmico, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 45:579-87. 2007..Irrespective of SVR achievement, all patients should continue surveillance because the risk of occurrence of HCC was not entirely avoided...
- The management of hepatitis B virus/HIV-1 co-infected patients starting their first HAART regimen. Treating two infections for the price of one drug?Massimo Puoti
Institute of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Spedali Civili, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Antivir Ther 9:811-7. 2004..3; -131.7, P=0.003] and a significantly reduced risk of liver-related morbidity/mortality [Relative hazard (RH)=0.07; 95% CI: 0.01-0.38, P=0.002] than those starting a lamivudine sparing-regimen...
- Plasmacytoid dendritic cells in acute and chronic hepatitis C virus infectionAxel Ulsenheimer
Institute for Immunology, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Hepatology 41:643-51. 2005..In cHC there is incomplete recovery of pDC function, which, however, could be solely due to the chronic inflammatory state...
- A randomized, controlled trial of triple antiviral therapy as initial treatment of chronic hepatitis C in HIV-infected patientsMassimo Puoti
Clinica di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, AO Spedali Civili di Brescia, Universita di Brescia, Brescia, Italy
J Hepatol 41:312-8. 2004..To assess the impact of intensification of interferon administration and of the addition of amantadine on the efficacy and safety of standard anti-hepatitis C virus (HCV) treatment in HIV-infected patients...
- Neutralizing antibodies to interferon alpha in a chronic hepatitis C patient non-responder to pegylated interferonTeresa Santantonio
J Hepatol 45:759-61. 2006
- Analysis of occult hepatitis B virus infection in liver tissue of HIV patients with chronic hepatitis CGiuseppina Raffa
Unit of Clinical and Molecular Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
AIDS 21:2171-5. 2007....
- Antibody responses against B-cell epitopes of the hypervariable region 1 of hepatitis C virus in self-limiting and chronic human hepatitis C followed-up using consensus peptidesMaria G Isaguliants
Department of Virology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Stockholm, Sweden
J Med Virol 66:204-17. 2002..A tendency was observed for a slower development of anti-HVR1 antibody response in patients developing chronic HCV, as compared to those with self-limiting HCV infection...