Affiliation: University of Florence
- Autologous haematopoietic stem-cell transplantation in multiple sclerosisGianluigi Mancardi
Department of Neuroscience, Ophthalmology, and Genetics, and Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Research, San Martino Hospital, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Lancet Neurol 7:626-36. 2008..Patients with severe, rapidly worsening multiple sclerosis who are unresponsive to approved therapies could be candidates for this treatment, but its clinical efficacy has still to be shown in large, prospective, controlled studies...
- Autologous stem cell transplantation for systemic lupus erythematosusDavid Jayne
Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Lupus 13:168-76. 2004..The safety of this procedure is likely to be improved by patient selection and choice of conditioning regimen. The return of disease activity in one-third of patients might be reduced by long-term immunosuppressive therapy post-ASCT...
- Haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for autoimmune disordersRiccardo Saccardi
Department of Haematology, Careggi Hospital, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Curr Opin Hematol 15:594-600. 2008..To summarize recent evidence and current trends in the use of haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) for autoimmune diseases...
- Autologous stem cell transplantation for progressive multiple sclerosis: update of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation autoimmune diseases working party databaseR Saccardi
BMT Unit Department of Hematology, Ospedale di Careggi, Florence, Italy
Mult Scler 12:814-23. 2006....
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation proceduresR Saccardi
BMT Unit, Department of Hematology, Ospedale Careggi, Firenze, Italy
Autoimmunity 41:570-6. 2008..The greatest possible reduction of transplant-related-mortality and of the autoimmune aggression are being actively pursued. Here, the main procedural modalities will be analyzed and discussed...
- Autologous HSCT for severe progressive multiple sclerosis in a multicenter trial: impact on disease activity and quality of lifeRiccardo Saccardi
Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, Careggi Hospital, University of Florence, Italy
Blood 105:2601-7. 2005..HSCT is able to induce a prolonged clinical stabilization in severe progressive MS patients, resulting in both sustained treatment-free periods and quality of life improvement...
- Consensus statement concerning cardiotoxicity occurring during haematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of autoimmune diseases, with special reference to systemic sclerosis and multiple sclerosisR Saccardi
Haematology Unit, University of Florence, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 34:877-81. 2004..A full cardiological assessment before and during the transplant emerged as the major recommendation...
- An open evaluation of triple antibiotic therapy including vancomycin for febrile bone marrow transplant recipients with severe neutropeniaA Bosi
Division of Hematology, University of Florence, Careggi Hospital, Italy
J Chemother 11:287-92. 1999..Death due to sepsis nor toxicity were observed. This triple antibiotic combination appears to be a very effective regimen for the empiric treatment of febrile episodes in severely neutropenic BMT recipients...
- Randomized trial comparing netilmicin plus imipenem-cilastatin versus netilmicin plus ceftazidime as empiric therapy for febrile neutropenic bone marrow transplant recipientsD Laszlo
Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, University of Florence, Careggi Hospital, Florence, Italy
J Chemother 9:95-101. 1997..In conclusion, both Net + Imi and Net + Cef are active and safe as empirical treatment of febrile episodes in neutropenic BMT pts...
- Detection of bcr/abl transcripts by RT-PCR and their colorimetric evaluation in chronic myeloid leukemia patients receiving allogeneic bone marrow transplantationV Santini
Department of Hematology, University of Florence, Italy
Haematologica 81:201-7. 1996..Although the reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) method is largely employed, the clinical value and impact of a positive RT-PCR as a herald of hematological relapse has not yet been definitively ascertained...
- Ondansetron versus chlorpromazine for preventing emesis in bone marrow transplant recipients: a double-blind randomized studyA Bosi
Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Careggi Hospital, Florence, Italy
J Chemother 5:191-6. 1993..002), the absence of extrapyramidal reactions (p < 0.001) and no need for dose reduction (p < 0.001) as compared with patients treated with chlorpromazine...
- Androgens and estrogens prevent rosiglitazone-induced adipogenesis in human mesenchymal stem cellsS Benvenuti
Endocrine Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Center for Research, Transfer and High Education on Chronic, Inflammatory, Degenerative and Neoplastic Disorders, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 35:365-71. 2012..Our data, yet preliminary, suggest the possibility to try to prevent the negative effects of TZD on bone, using steroid receptor modulators, such as plant-derived phytoestrogens, which lack evident adverse effects...
- Induction of differentiation of HL-60 cells along the monocytic pathway by 5-methyltetrahydrofolateP A Bernabei
U O di Ematologia, U S L 10 D, Firenze, Italy
J Chemother 1:359-64. 1989....
- Autologous stem cell transplantation improves microcirculation in systemic sclerosisI Miniati
Department of Biomedicine, Section of Rheumatology, Denothe Center, AOUC Florence, Viale Pieraccini 18, 50139 Florence, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 68:94-8. 2009..We aimed to evaluate the improvement of microvasculature after HSCT using NVC...
- Treatment of experimental esophagogastric myotomy with bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in a rat modelB Mazzanti
Haematology Unit, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Neurogastroenterol Motil 25:e669-79. 2013..In this study, we have developed an animal model of esophagogastric myotomy (MY) aimed at determining the role of autologous MSC in the regeneration of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) after surgery...
- A prospective, randomized, controlled trial of autologous haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for aggressive multiple sclerosis: a position paperR Saccardi
Hematology Department, Careggi University Hospital, Florence, Italy
Mult Scler 18:825-34. 2012....
- Aztreonam versus colistin-neomycin for selective decontamination of the digestive tract in patients undergoing bone marrow transplantation: a randomized studyA Bosi
Department of Hematology, University of Florence, Italy
J Chemother 4:30-4. 1992..No significant differences were observed suggesting that Az is at least as effective as the CN regimen and may be considered as an alternative approach for intestinal decontamination in BMT patients...
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for very active relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: report of two casesE Portaccio
Department of Neurology, University of Florence, and Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, Careggi Hospital, Florence, Italy
Mult Scler 13:676-8. 2007..In this paper, we report two cases with very active, relapsing-remitting (RR) MS, who underwent AHSCT, and obtained a dramatic resolution to disease activity...
- A comparison of two assays for the in vitro chemosensitivity testing of human acute non-lymphoblastic leukemia cellsO Dal Pozzo
U O di Ematologia, , Firenze, Italy
J Chemother 1:318-23. 1989..A good correlation was demonstrated between the results of the two different methodological approaches, validating the recently described INT sensitivity test...
- Thyroid hormones promote cell differentiation and up-regulate the expression of the seladin-1 gene in in vitro models of human neuronal precursorsS Benvenuti
Endocrine Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Center for Research, Transfer and High Education on Chronic, Inflammatory, Degenerative and Neoplastic Disorders for the Development of Novel Therapies, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol 197:437-46. 2008..In view of its anti-apoptotic activity, it might be hypothesized that one of the functions of the increased seladin-1 levels in the developing brain may be to protect neuronal precursor cells from death...
- Haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for vasculitis including Behcet's disease and polychondritis: a retrospective analysis of patients recorded in the European Bone Marrow Transplantation and European League Against Rheumatism databases and a review Thomas Daikeler
Department of Rheumatology, University of Basle, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basle, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 66:202-7. 2007..To evaluate the feasibility of haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) in vasculitis...
- Induction of CD83+CD14+ nondendritic antigen-presenting cells by exposure of monocytes to IFN-alphaGianni Gerlini
Plastic Surgery Unit, Regional Melanoma Referral Center, Tuscan Tumor Institute ITT, Santa Maria Annunziata Hospital, Florence, Italy
J Immunol 181:2999-3008. 2008..The present findings suggest that IFN-alpha alone promptly generates nondendritic APCs able to stimulate memory immune responses. This may represent an additional mode of action of IFN-alpha in vivo...
- Differences in mesenchymal stem cell cytokine profiles between MS patients and healthy donors: implication for assessment of disease activity and treatmentBenedetta Mazzanti
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini, 6, 50134 Florence, Italy
J Neuroimmunol 199:142-50. 2008....
- Cochlear repair by transplantation of human cord blood CD133+ cells to nod-scid mice made deaf with kanamycin and noiseRoberto P Revoltella
Foundation onlus Staminali e Vita, Institute of Biomedical Technologies, CNR, 56127 Pisa, Italy
Cell Transplant 17:665-78. 2008....
- Interaction between human NK cells and bone marrow stromal cells induces NK cell triggering: role of NKp30 and NKG2D receptorsAlessandro Poggi
Laboratory of Experimental Oncology D, National Cancer Research Institute, Genoa, Italy
J Immunol 175:6352-60. 2005..It appears that HLA-I molecules do not protect BMSC from NK cell-mediated injury. Thus, NK cells, activated upon binding with BMSC, may regulate BMSC survival...
- High dose immunotherapy with stem cell rescue in severe systemic sclerosis: an idea that is moving forwardDaniel E Furst
J Rheumatol 31:2331-5. 2004
- Prolonged human/sheep cellular chimerism following transplantation of human hemopoietic stem cells into the ewe celomic cavityMonica Michelini
Foundation ONLUS Stem Cells and Life, Pisa and Institute of Biomedical Technologies, CNR, Unit of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Int J Dev Biol 52:365-70. 2008..Controls born from un-transplanted ewes never revealed any human DNA sequences nor HLADQ alpha 1 expression...
- Feasibility of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for autoimmune disease: position statement from a National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and National Cancer Institute-Sponsored International Workshop, Bethesda, MD, March 1Linda M Griffith
Division of Allergy, Immunology and Transplantation, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:862-70. 2005
- Neuronal differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells: changes in the expression of the Alzheimer's disease-related gene seladin-1Susanna Benvenuti
Endocrine Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, 50139 Florence, Italy
Exp Cell Res 312:2592-604. 2006..These original results demonstrate for the first time that seladin-1 is abundantly expressed by stem cells and appear to suggest that reduced expression in AD might be due to an altered pool of multipotent cells...