Affiliation: University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- An update on the diagnosis of tuberculosis infectionLuca Richeldi
Department of Oncology, Hematology, and Respiratory Disease, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, 41100 Modena, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:736-42. 2006....
- Performance of commercial blood tests for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection in children and adolescentsBarbara Maria Bergamini
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Department of Respiratory Diseases, Policlinico Hospital of Modena, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Pediatrics 123:e419-24. 2009..TB (Oxford Immunotec, Abingdon, United Kingdom) show promise of greater accuracy, but they may also be affected by impaired cellular immunity, resulting in indeterminate results (ie, insufficient response in positive-control wells)...
- T-cell-based diagnosis of neonatal multidrug-resistant latent tuberculosis infectionLuca Richeldi
Department of Respiratory Disease, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Pediatrics 119:e1-5. 2007..Our findings demonstrate that this blood test detected latent infection with dormant, yet viable, bacilli and illustrate how enzyme-linked immunospot could improve diagnosis of childhood tuberculosis infection...
- Sarcoidosis: challenging diagnostic aspects of an old diseasePaolo Spagnolo
Section of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Oncology, Hematology, and Respiratory Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Am J Med 125:118-25. 2012..In conclusion, we strongly advise that physicians be ready to reconsider the diagnosis of sarcoidosis in the presence of atypical manifestations or persistent/progressive disease despite conventional therapy...
- Performance of tests for latent tuberculosis in different groups of immunocompromised patientsLuca Richeldi
Section of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Oncology, Hematology and Respiratory Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Chest 136:198-204. 2009....
- [Role of in vitro tests in the diagnosis of latent tubercular infections]Luca Richeldi
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Ematologia e Patologie dell Apparato Respiratorio, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 32:269-72. 2010..It's therefore desirable that new documents will be produced soon to guide the use of these new tests in clinical routine...
- Genetic testing in diffuse parenchymal lung diseasePaolo Spagnolo
Department of Oncology, Center for Rare Lung Disease, Hematology, and Respiratory Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 71, Modena, 41124, Italy
Orphanet J Rare Dis 7:79. 2012..Finally, we discuss practical issues and implications for both patients and physicians of recent advances in the genetics of sarcoidosis and IPF...
- Management of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisStefania Cerri
Center for Rare Lung Diseases, Department of Oncology, Hematology and Respiratory Diseases, University Hospital Policlinico of Modena, Modena, Italy
Clin Chest Med 33:85-94. 2012..Randomized controlled trials represent a valid choice for patients with IPF, and their completion is important in improving both survival and quality of life...
- Using ELISpot technology to improve the diagnosis of tuberculosis infection: from the bench to the T-SPOT.TB assayLuca Richeldi
Center for Rare Lung Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Policlinico Hospital, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Expert Rev Respir Med 2:253-60. 2008....
- Efficacy of hormonal suppression in a patient with chyluria due to lymphangioleiomyomatosisPaola Contini
Center for Rare Lung Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Multidiscip Respir Med 6:313-7. 2011....
- Room size is the major determinant for tuberculin conversion in health care workers exposed to a multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patientAlberto Franchi
Occupational Health Unit, Policlinico Hospital, 8th Floor, room 8 056, Via Largo del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 80:533-8. 2007..e., index case (IC)]. Aim of the study was to identify the main exposure predictors for the risk of conversion through evaluation of tuberculin screening results...
- Routine hospital use of a new commercial whole blood interferon-gamma assay for the diagnosis of tuberculosis infectionGiovanni Ferrara
Section of Respiratory Disease, Department of Oncology, Haematology and Respiratory Disease, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:631-5. 2005..As with the TST, immunosuppression may negatively affect the test's performance, with a significant rate of indeterminate results in the most vulnerable population...
- Use in routine clinical practice of two commercial blood tests for diagnosis of infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis: a prospective studyGiovanni Ferrara
Section of Respiratory Disease, Department of Oncology, Haematology, and Respiratory Disease, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo, 71-41100 Modena, Italy
Lancet 367:1328-34. 2006..Rates of indeterminate and positive results, however, differ between the blood tests, suggesting that they might provide different results in routine clinical practice...
- MDR1 C3435T genetic polymorphism does not influence the response to antiretroviral therapy in drug-naive HIV-positive patientsMilena Nasi
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia School of Medicine, Via Campi 287, 41100 Modena, Italy
AIDS 17:1696-8. 2003..The MDR1 C3435Tpolymorphism did not influence response to therapy, suggesting no disadvantages for individuals with a different genotype...
- Interferon gamma assays for tuberculosisAjit Lalvani
Lancet Infect Dis 5:322-4; author reply 325-7. 2005
- T cell-based tracking of multidrug resistant tuberculosis infection after brief exposureLuca Richeldi
Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:288-95. 2004..tuberculosis after brief exposure. These results help to explain the apparent importance of casual contact for tuberculosis transmission, and may have implications for prevention...
- Early diagnosis of subclinical multidrug-resistant tuberculosisLuca Richeldi
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia and Azienda Ospedaliera Policlinico di Modena, Modena, Italy
Ann Intern Med 140:709-13. 2004..Large prospective studies that compare benefits and costs of this alternative to tuberculin skin testing are needed...
- Impact of a T cell-based blood test for tuberculosis infection on clinical decision-making in routine practiceSarah Gooding
Tuberculosis Immunology Group, Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
J Infect 54:e169-74. 2007..Rapid determination of tuberculosis infection by ELISpot accelerated the diagnosis of tuberculosis, enabling early treatment initiation...