Affiliation: University of Bari
- Ribatti D, Tamma R. Hematopoietic growth factors and tumor angiogenesis. Cancer Lett. 2018;440-441:47-53 pubmed publisher..These findings in all these studies support the hypothesis formulated at the beginning of this century that a common ancestral cell, the hemangioblast, gives rise to cells of both the endothelial and the hematopoietic lineages. ..
- Ribatti D, Tamma R, Crivellato E. Cross talk between natural killer cells and mast cells in tumor angiogenesis. Inflamm Res. 2019;68:19-23 pubmed publisher..In fact, it has been observed that NK cells produce pro-angiogenic factors and participate alone or in cooperation with mast cells to the regulation of angiogenesis in both physiological and pathological conditions including tumors. ..
- Ribatti D, Iaffaldano P, Marinaccio C, Trojano M. First evidence of in vivo pro-angiogenic activity of cerebrospinal fluid samples from multiple sclerosis patients. Clin Exp Med. 2016;16:103-7 pubmed publisher..The results of this preliminary report demonstrate for the first time an angiogenic activity in vivo of CSF samples from MS patients and confirm the importance of angiogenesis as a key event in MS pathogenesis and progression. ..
- Ribatti D. Historical overview of lymphangiogenesis. Curr Opin Immunol. 2018;53:161-166 pubmed publisher..In this review article, I summarize the most important contributions to this field, until to the discovery of a specific lymphangiogenic factor, namely vascular endothelial growth factor-c (VEGF-C) (summarizing figure). ..
- Ribatti D, Tamma R. A revisited concept. Tumors: Wounds that do not heal. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2018;128:65-69 pubmed publisher..In this review article, we analyze the importance and the limits of this concept, which confirm the close relationship between two apparently different biological processes. ..
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Ranieri G, Specchia G, Vacca A. The role of angiogenesis in human non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Neoplasia. 2013;15:231-8 pubmed..In this review article, we present an overview of the literature focusing on the relationship between angiogenesis and disease progression and the recent advantages in the antiangiogenic treatment in human non-Hodgkin lymphomas. ..
- Ribatti D. The use of the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane as experimental model to study virus growth and to test the clonal selection hypothesis. The contribution of Sir Mac Farlane Burnet. Immunol Lett. 2018;200:1-4 pubmed publisher..His virology research resulted in significant discoveries concerning the nature and replication of viruses and their interaction with the immune system. ..
- Ribatti D. Edelman's view on the discovery of antibodies. Immunol Lett. 2015;164:72-5 pubmed publisher..In the same year, Edelman showed that reduction of the disulfide bonds of antibodies in the presence of denaturizing agents led to dissociation of the molecule into smaller pieces, now known to be the light (L) and heavy (H) chains. ..
- Ribatti D, Vacca A. New Insights in Anti-Angiogenesis in Multiple Myeloma. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19: pubmed publisher..This article summarizes the more recent literature data concerning the employment of anti-angiogenic therapeutic agents actually used in preclinical models and clinical settings for the treatment of multiple myeloma. ..
- Ribatti D, Tamma R, Crivellato E. The dual role of mast cells in tumor fate. Cancer Lett. 2018;433:252-258 pubmed publisher..This dual role may be explained to some extent by the huge number of bioactive molecules stored in mast cell granules, as well as differences between tumor microenvironment, tumor type, and tumor phase of development. ..
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Crivellato E. The development of the vascular system: a historical overview. Methods Mol Biol. 2015;1214:1-14 pubmed publisher..In this historical introduction, we try to retrace the early steps of scientific speculation on vascular development and to recapitulate the principal paths leading to our present appreciation of blood vessel formation. ..
- Ribatti D. Peter Brian Medawar and the discovery of acquired immunological tolerance. Immunol Lett. 2015;167:63-6 pubmed publisher..In 1960, Medawar in recognition of the significance of his 1953 and 1956 papers was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Burnet for their discovery of acquired immunologic tolerance. ..
- Ribatti D. The failed attribution of the Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology to Viktor Hamburger for the discovery of Nerve Growth Factor. Brain Res Bull. 2016;124:306-9 pubmed publisher..This article try to reconstruct the history of the discovery of NGF with the aim to re-establish a correct dynamic of the events. ..
- Ribatti D. A new role of mast cells in arteriogenesis. Microvasc Res. 2018;118:57-60 pubmed publisher..This review article analyzes the literature concerning this new aspect of biological activity of mast cells. ..
- Musumeci G, Castorina A, Magro G, Cardile V, Castorina S, Ribatti D. Enhanced expression of CD31/platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1 (PECAM1) correlates with hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha (HIF-1Î±) in human glioblastoma multiforme. Exp Cell Res. 2015;339:407-16 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we also established a further correlation among CD31/PECAM1 and HIF-1Î± and N-cadherin and ADAM-10, two other markers of aggressiveness in the same tumors. ..
- Ribatti D. The chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay. Reprod Toxicol. 2017;70:97-101 pubmed publisher..Moreover, being naturally immunodeficient, the chick embryo may receive transplantations from different tissues and species, without immune responses. ..
- Ribatti D, Vacca A. Role of Endothelial Cells and Fibroblasts in Multiple Myeloma Angiogenic Switch. Cancer Treat Res. 2016;169:51-61 pubmed
- Ribatti D. The chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane (CAM). A multifaceted experimental model. Mech Dev. 2016;141:70-77 pubmed publisher..Moreover, being naturally immunodeficient, the chick embryo may receive transplantations from different tissues and species, without immune responses. ..
- Ribatti D. The development of human mast cells. An historical reappraisal. Exp Cell Res. 2016;342:210-5 pubmed publisher..Because MC maturation is influenced by local microenvironmental factors, different MC phenotypes can develop in different tissues and organs. ..
- ..Other permeability studies have confirmed the existence of a blood-thymus barrier, which allow the access to low molecular weight tracers, while most exclude high molecular weight particles. ..
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Ruggieri S, Tamma R, Simone G, Mangia A. Angiogenesis and Antiangiogenesis in Triple-Negative Breast cancer. Transl Oncol. 2016;9:453-457 pubmed publisher..There is evidence that patients with TNBC may have a greater probability of obtaining some kind of clinical efficacy benefit from bevacizumab-based therapy. ..
- Ribatti D, Crivellato E. The role of mast cell in tissue morphogenesis. Thymus, duodenum, and mammary gland as examples. Exp Cell Res. 2016;341:105-9 pubmed publisher..In this review article, we have reported and discussed the literature data concerning the role of MCs in tissue morphogenesis, and in particular their role in the development of thymus, duodenum, and mammary gland. ..
- ..In 1968, the WHO International Reference Centre for Immunoglobulins announced the presence of a fifth immunoglobulin isotype, IgE. ..
- ..This article is focused on the role of mast cells in lymphoma progression and angiogenesis. Mast cells might be regarded in a future perspective as a new target for the adjuvant treatment of tumors, including lymphomas. ..
- ..Their work demonstrated that cells form the basic unit of life of plants and animals. Rudolf Virchow concluded that all living organisms are the sum of single cellular units and that cells multiply. ..
- Guidolin D, Ruggieri S, Annese T, Tortorella C, Marzullo A, Ribatti D. Spatial distribution of mast cells around vessels and glands in human gastric carcinoma. Clin Exp Med. 2017;17:531-539 pubmed publisher..These two findings allow to speculate about a sequence of events in which a subpopulation of MC is first recruited around gastric parenchyma to drive the subsequent development of a vascular support to the tissue. ..
- Rizzi A, Benagiano V, Ribatti D. Angiogenesis versus arteriogenesis. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2017;58:15-19 pubmed..The expression of growth factors and the cooperation of surrounding and infiltrating cells seem to be essential in orchestrating the complex processes during arteriogenesis. ..
- Ribatti D. Historical overview on the morphological characterization of large granular lymphocytes/natural killer cells. Immunol Lett. 2017;190:58-63 pubmed publisher..This article is focused to the description the morphological features of these cells and of the LGLs and to the fundamental contribution of the Italian scientist Carlo E. Grossi to the ultrastructural characterization of these cells. ..
- Ribatti D. The discovery of plasma cells: An historical note. Immunol Lett. 2017;188:64-67 pubmed publisher..The identification of plasma cells as antibody producers was a key discovery that paved the way for the development of monoclonal antibodies. ..
- Catino S, Tutino M, Ruggieri S, Marinaccio C, Giua R, De Gennaro G, et al. Angiogenic activity in vivo of the particulate matter (PM10). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;140:156-161 pubmed publisher..In addition, the mere gravimetric measure of PM10 cannot be considered a fully reliable surrogate of the overall toxicity of the mixture. ..
- Ribatti D. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in morphogenesis, cancer progression and angiogenesis. Exp Cell Res. 2017;353:1-5 pubmed publisher..A common feature of these processes is the fact that specialized epithelial cells lose their features, including cell adhesion and polarity, reorganize their cytoskeleton, and acquire a mesenchymal morphology and the ability to migrate. ..
- Simone V, Brunetti O, Lupo L, Testini M, Maiorano E, Simone M, et al. Targeting Angiogenesis in Biliary Tract Cancers: An Open Option. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Herein, we evaluate both the pathogenic mechanisms of BTCs focused on angiogenesis and the preclinical and clinical data available regarding the use of new anti-angiogenic drugs in these malignancies. ..
- Ribatti D. The Discovery of Tumor Angiogenesis Factors: A Historical Overview. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1464:1-12 pubmed..This chapter offers an account of the most relevant discoveries in this field of biomedical research. ..
- Tamma R, Ribatti D. Bone Niches, Hematopoietic Stem Cells, and Vessel Formation. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Moreover, alterations of the signals in niche microenvironment are involved in many aspects of tumor progression and vascularization and further knowledge could provide the basis for the development of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Musumeci G, Loreto C, Giunta S, Rapisarda V, Szychlinska M, Imbesi R, et al. Angiogenesis correlates with macrophage and mast cell infiltration in lung tissue of animals exposed to fluoro-edenite fibers. Exp Cell Res. 2016;346:91-8 pubmed publisher..These data confirmed the important role played by tumor microenvironment components, including macrophages and mast cells, in favour of angiogenesis in pleural mesothelioma induced by fluoro-edenite exposure. ..
- Marech I, Ammendola M, Sacco R, Capriuolo G, Patruno R, Rubini R, et al. Serum tryptase, mast cells positive to tryptase and microvascular density evaluation in early breast cancer patients: possible translational significance. BMC Cancer. 2014;14:534 pubmed publisher..In this patients setting, it's intriguing to hypothesize that tryptase inhibitors might be evaluated in clinical trials. ..
- Ribatti D. A revisited concept: Contact inhibition of growth. From cell biology to malignancy. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:17-19 pubmed publisher..Not only the movement but also the proliferation of many normal cells is inhibited by cell-cell contact, and cancer cells are characteristically insensitive to such contact inhibition. ..