Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Bari
- Ribatti D, De Falco G, Nico B, Ria R, Crivellato E, Vacca A. In vivo time-course of the angiogenic response induced by multiple myeloma plasma cells in the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane. J Anat. 2003;203:323-8 pubmed
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Pezzolo A, Vacca A, Meazza R, Cinti R, et al. Angiogenesis in a human neuroblastoma xenograft model: mechanisms and inhibition by tumour-derived interferon-gamma. Br J Cancer. 2006;94:1845-52 pubmed..Once the dual origin of tumour vasculature is confirmed in NB patients, the xenograft model described here will prove useful in testing the efficacy of different antiangiogenic compounds. ..
- Ribatti D, Crivellato E, Vacca A. Miller's seminal studies on the role of thymus in immunity. Clin Exp Immunol. 2006;144:371-5 pubmed..This review article summarizes the seminal work of the Australian scientist Francis Albert Pierre Miller concerning the description for the first time of the crucial role of the thymus for normal development of the immune system. ..
- Ribatti D. The Chick Embryo Chorioallantoic Membrane as an In Vivo Assay to Study Antiangiogenesis. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2010;3:482-513 pubmed..The fields of application of CAM in the study of antiangiogenesis, including our personal experience, are illustrated in this review article. ..
- Ribatti D. Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors as Antiangiogenic Drugs in Multiple Myeloma. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2010;3:1225-1231 pubmed..This review article is focused on the use of tyrosine kinase inhibitors as antiangiogenic molecules in the treatment of multiple myeloma. ..
- Ribatti D. The discovery of antiangiogenic molecules: a historical review. Curr Pharm Des. 2009;15:345-52 pubmed..Antiangiogenesis remains a dynamic and evolving field in oncology. New therapeutic targets continue to emerge followed by the rapid development of new therapeutic agents to be investigated in clinical trials. ..
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Crivellato E. The role of pericytes in angiogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:261-8 pubmed publisher..We will then consider the complex and multivarious contribution of pericytes to the different aspects of angiogenesis with particular emphasis on the potential role of these cells as targets in tumor therapy. ..
- Ribatti D. Endogenous inhibitors of angiogenesis: a historical review. Leuk Res. 2009;33:638-44 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the present knowledge about endogenous inhibitors of angiogenesis. ..
- Ribatti D. The fundamental contribution of Jan C. Waldenström to the discovery and study of the so-called "Waldenström macroglobulinemia". Leuk Res. 2007;31:435-8 pubmed..This historical review article summarizes the fundamental contribution of Jan Costa Waldenström to the discovery and study of this lymphoproliferative disorder. ..
- Ribatti D, Crivellato E, Vacca A. Inflammation and antiangiogenesis in cancer. Curr Med Chem. 2012;19:955-60 pubmed..In this review article, we will focus on some angiogenenic and anti-angiogenic molecules properties of immune cells that may be utilized for a potential parmacological use as anti-angiogenic agents in cancer. ..
- Guidolin D, Marinaccio C, Tortorella C, Annese T, Ruggieri S, Finato N, et al. Non-random spatial relationships between mast cells and microvessels in human endometrial carcinoma. Clin Exp Med. 2017;17:71-77 pubmed publisher..However, this spatial association between vessels and MCs might simply reflect migrating MCs from the blood stream at vessel growing sites. ..
- Ribatti D, Alessandri G, Baronio M, Raffaghello L, Cosimo E, Marimpietri D, et al. Inhibition of neuroblastoma-induced angiogenesis by fenretinide. Int J Cancer. 2001;94:314-21 pubmed
- Ribatti D, Vacca A, Rusnati M, Presta M. The discovery of basic fibroblast growth factor/fibroblast growth factor-2 and its role in haematological malignancies. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2007;18:327-34 pubmed..This review describes its history, as well as its role in tumor angiogenesis associated with haematological malignancies, as traced by the main contributions to the international medical literature. ..
- Ribatti D, Vacca A, Roccaro A, Crivellato E, Presta M. Erythropoietin as an angiogenic factor. Eur J Clin Invest. 2003;33:891-6 pubmed..New sites of Epo production have been found, such as the female reproductive organs and central nervous system. This review summarizes the involvement of Epo in the regulation of angiogenesis in both normal and pathological conditions. ..
- Ribatti D, Vacca A. Models for studying angiogenesis in vivo. Int J Biol Markers. 1999;14:207-13 pubmed..In this review we describe and evaluate the methodology and specific features of some of the most frequently used in vivo assays...
- Ribatti D. Chicken chorioallantoic membrane angiogenesis model. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;843:47-57 pubmed publisher..The cells invade the epithelium and the mesenchymal connective tissue below, where they are found in the form of a dense bed of blood vessels, which is a target for intravasation...
- Ribatti D, Crivellato E, Candussio L, Vacca A, Nico B, Benagiano V, et al. Angiogenic activity of rat mast cells in the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane is down-regulated by treatment with recombinant human alpha-2a interferon and partly mediated by fibroblast growth factor-2. Haematologica. 2002;87:465-71 pubmed..Finally, the morphologic features of MC treated with rhIFN-alpha2a, characterized by an atypical secretory pathway, are compatible with a slow release of the angiogenic cytokines stored in MC granules. ..
- Ribatti D, Presta M. The role of fibroblast growth factor-2 in the vascularization of the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane. J Cell Mol Med. 2002;6:439-46 pubmed..The findings in all these studies support the importance of FGF-2 as an autocrine paracrine stimulator of angiogenesis and its key role in the development of the vascular system in the avian embryo...
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Perra M, Longo V, Maxia C, Annese T, et al. Erythropoietin is involved in angiogenesis in human primary melanoma. Int J Exp Pathol. 2010;91:495-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Epo is secreted by tumour cells and it affects vascular endothelial cells via its receptor and promotes angiogenesis in a paracrine manner, playing an important role in melanoma angiogenesis. ..
- Ribatti D, Crivellato E, Vacca A. The contribution of Bruce Glick to the definition of the role played by the bursa of Fabricius in the development of the B cell lineage. Clin Exp Immunol. 2006;145:1-4 pubmed..Their demonstration that antibody responses are suppressed in the majority of bursectomized chickens became the cornerstone of modern immunology. Bursa research increased considerably during the 1960s and early 1970s...
- Ribatti D, Cantatore F, Vacca A, D Amore M, Ria R, Roncali L, et al. Systemic sclerosis stimulates angiogenesis in the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane. Clin Rheumatol. 1998;17:115-20 pubmed..Moreover, the role played in the angiogenic response by the inflammatory cells forming the cellular infiltrate is suggested by this study...
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Maxia C, Longo V, Murtas D, Mangieri D, et al. Neovascularization and mast cells with tryptase activity increase simultaneously in human pterygium. J Cell Mol Med. 2007;11:585-9 pubmed..These results suggest that the characteristic neovascularization observed in pterygium may be sustained, at least in part, by MC angiogenic mediators, in particular tryptase...
- Ribatti D, Nico B, Perra M, Maxia C, Piras F, Murtas D, et al. Correlation between NGF/TrkA and microvascular density in human pterygium. Int J Exp Pathol. 2009;90:615-20 pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanism of angiogenesis in pterygium provides a basis for a rational approach to the development of anti-angiogenic therapy in patients affected by this disease. ..
- Ribatti D, Vacca A, Cantatore F, Ria R, Benagiano V, Roncali L, et al. An experimental study in the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane of the anti-angiogenic activity of cyclosporine in rheumatoid arthritis versus osteoarthritis. Inflamm Res. 2000;49:418-23 pubmed