Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Udine
- Dramatic tumour response to pemetrexed single-agent in an elderly patient with malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a case reportGianpiero Fasola
Dept of Medical Oncology, University Hospital, P le S M Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:289. 2006..To date, there is no standard treatment for unresectable malignant peritoneal mesothelioma; either best supportive care or systemic chemotherapy with palliative intent are accepted options...
- HEX expression and localization in normal mammary gland and breast carcinomaCinzia Puppin
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Universita di Udine, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:192. 2006..Aim of the present study was to evaluate the localization and the function of the protein HEX in normal and tumoral breast tissues and in breast cancer cell lines...
- Expression of Pax-8, p53 and bcl-2 in human benign and malignant thyroid diseasesF Puglisi
Institute of Clinical Oncology, University of Udine, Italy
Anticancer Res 20:311-6. 2000..Immunohistochemical expression of the transcription factor Pax-8 in human thyroid diseases has never been investigated. The relationship between Pax-8, bcl-2 and p53 in thyroid neoplasms is also matter of interest...
- Prognostic significance of Ape1/ref-1 subcellular localization in non-small cell lung carcinomasF Puglisi
University of Udine, Italy
Anticancer Res 21:4041-9. 2001..To evaluate the prognostic value of the DNA repair/redox-protein Ape1/ref-1 in a retrospective series of consecutive non-small cell lung carcinomas (NSCLC)...
- Role of mammography, ultrasound and large core biopsy in the diagnostic evaluation of papillary breast lesionsFabio Puglisi
Clinical Oncology, Breast Unit, Breast Unit, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Oncology 65:311-5. 2003..To prospectively evaluate the potential role of mammography, ultrasound and image-guided core biopsy in the diagnosis of papillary lesions of the breast...
- Prognostic role of Ape/Ref-1 subcellular expression in stage I-III breast carcinomasFabio Puglisi
Clinica Oncologica, Policlinico Universitario, Piazzale S M Misericordia I 33100 Udine, Italy
Oncol Rep 9:11-7. 2002..014) and Cox proportional hazard model analysis identified APE/Ref-1 as an independent prognostic factor. The results suggest that subcellular localisation of APE/Ref-1 may influence the aggressiveness of breast carcinomas...
- Galectin-3 expression in non-small cell lung carcinomaFabio Puglisi
Clinical Oncology, University of Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 212:233-9. 2004..In the present study, concomitant expression of nuclear galectin-3 and TTF-1 was independently associated with a worse clinical outcome (HR 2.0; P = 0.01)...
- Tumor shrinkage evaluation during and after preoperative doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel in patients with breast cancerFabio Puglisi
Clinical Oncology, Breast Unit, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Res 24:2487-93. 2004....
- Combined analysis of MIB-1 and thyroid transcription factor-1 predicts survival in non-small cell lung carcinomasF Puglisi
Department of Clinical Oncology, University of Udine, Piazzale SM Misericordia, 33100, Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 162:97-103. 2001..002), MIB-1 (P=0.01) and pStage (P=0.04). Accordingly, analysing TTF-1 and MIB-1 together, a better prediction of survival was obtained (P=0.02), with the poorest prognosis for the 'TTF-1++/MIB-1+' cases...
- Baseline staging tests after a new diagnosis of breast cancer: further evidence of their limited indicationsF Puglisi
Breast Unit and Clinical Oncology, University of Udine, Piazzale SM Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Ann Oncol 16:263-6. 2005..However, in the absence of symptomatic disease, the usefulness of this routine diagnostic work-up is not evidence-based...
- Highlights from the 42nd annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Atlanta, GA, USA, 2-6 June 2006Fabio Puglisi
Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Udine, Dipartimento di Oncologia, Piazzale S M Misericordia 15, I 33100, Udine, Italy
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:2309-18. 2006..In addition, selected Phase I and II studies on promising novel therapeutic agents were briefly described. Finally, a 'question and answer' format was adopted to report results of interesting studies on some hot topics...
- Anthracyclines and taxanes induce the upregulation of thymidine phosphorylase in breast cancer cellsFabio Puglisi
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 18:883-8. 2007..Translational studies, specifically designed on the basis of this rationale, are eagerly waited...
- Balance between cell division and cell death as predictor of survival in patients with non-small-cell lung cancerFabio Puglisi
Clinical Oncology, DRMM, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Oncology 63:76-83. 2002..To evaluate the prognostic value of the balance between apoptosis and proliferation in non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Thymidine phosphorylase expression is associated with time to progression in patients receiving low-dose, docetaxel-modulated capecitabine for metastatic breast cancerF Puglisi
Department of Clinical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Piazzale S M Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Ann Oncol 19:1541-6. 2008..Furthermore, we explored the relationship between TP tumor expression and benefit from this regimen...
- Thymidine phosphorylase expression and benefit from capecitabine in patients with advanced breast cancerC Andreetta
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Ann Oncol 20:265-71. 2009..The present study aimed at evaluating the potential relationship between TP expression and benefit from capecitabine in patients with metastatic breast cancer (BC)...
- Prognostic value of thyroid transcription factor-1 in primary, resected, non-small cell lung carcinomaF Puglisi
Department of Medical and Morphological Researches, Institute of Anatomic Pathology, Udine, Italy
Mod Pathol 12:318-24. 1999..04). The results of this study suggest that immunoreactivity for TTF-1 in NSCLC closely relates to clinical outcome, especially in patients with SCC...
- Image-guided core breast biopsy: a suitable method for preoperative biological characterization of small (pT1) breast carcinomasF Puglisi
Department of Medical and Morphological Research, School of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 133:223-9. 1998..This study showed that image-guided core biopsy is a suitable method that can be used to reveal some characteristics of the tumor biology in a preoperative stage...
- Expression of periostin in human breast cancerF Puglisi
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Udine, Italy
J Clin Pathol 61:494-8. 2008..Periostin is a secreted adhesion protein, normally expressed in mesenchime-derived cells. Aberrant expression of the periostin gene in epithelial tumours seems to play a role in angiogenesis and metastases...
- Diagnostic accuracy of perforated compression grid approach for mammographically guided core needle biopsy of breast lesionsF Puglisi
Policlinico Universitario, University of Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 146:181-8. 1999....
- Telepathology using Internet multimedia electronic mail: remote consultation on gastrointestinal pathologyV Della Mea
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Udine, Italy
J Telemed Telecare 2:28-34. 1996..79). In 11 cases (15%) there was a misdiagnosis. However, the results are encouraging and suggest that Internet electronic mail can be used successfully for remote consultation in pathology...
- [Papillary lesions of the breast: diagnostic imaging and contribution of percutaneous needle biopsy with 14G needle]M Bazzocchi
Istituto di Radiologia, , Udine, Italy
Radiol Med 101:424-31. 2001..The framing of benign and malignant PLB with imaging and core-biopsy was useful because the frequent association of benign PLB with concurrent or subsequent breast carcinoma suggests surgical excision and radiological follow-up...
- Lack of correlation between immunohistochemical expression of E2F-1, thymidylate synthase expression and clinical response to 5-fluorouracil in advanced colorectal cancerO Belvedere
Division of Medical Oncology, University of Udine, P le S M Misericordia, Udine, Italy
Ann Oncol 15:55-8. 2004..E2F-1 is a transcription factor regulating the expression of TS along with other crucial DNA synthesis related enzymes...
- Stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: results, follow-up and correlation with radiological suspicionC Zuiani
Istituto di Radiologia, Universita Degli Studi di Udine, Via Colugna 50, I 33100, Udine, Italy
Radiol Med 112:304-17. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess the accuracy and clinical usefulness of stereotactic vacuum-assisted biopsy (VAB) for diagnosing suspicious, nonpalpable, only mammographically detectable breast lesions...
- Role of pre-surgical breast MRI in the management of invasive breast carcinomaChiara Del Frate
Institute of Radiology, University of Udine, P le Santa Maria della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Breast 16:469-81. 2007..8%. In conclusion, breast MRI determines a significant change in the management of patients affected by invasive breast carcinoma, particularly in patients eligible for conservative surgery after standard breast examination...
- Risk factors and survival outcomes in patients with brain metastases from breast cancerA M Minisini
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Piazzale S M Misericordia, 33100, Udine, Italy
Clin Exp Metastasis 30:951-6. 2013..Survival from diagnosis of CNS metastases was longer in patients with HER2-positive BC, while it was shorter in patients that did not receive any locoregional treatment, or with extra-CNS disease, or with more than 3 CNS lesions...
- Fatigue: a main component of anemia symptomatologyA Sobrero
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Udine, Italy
Semin Oncol 28:15-8. 2001..Accordingly, the search for new simplified methods of assessment of fatigue and other anemia-related symptoms and their treatment outcomes should be strongly encouraged...
- [Diagnostic imaging of lobular carcinoma of the breast: mammographic, ultrasonographic and MR findings]M Bazzocchi
Istituto di Radiologia, Universita degli Studi, Udine
Radiol Med 100:436-43. 2000..To evaluate the most frequent mammographic, US and MR findings of invasive lobular carcinoma and the role of MRI in defining multifocality and/or multicentricity of this tumor histotype...
- [The Internet for medical research]V Della Mea
Cattedra di Anatomia Patologica, Universita di Udine
Pathologica 87:485-91. 1995..In addition, as biomedical informations are also available on Internet, it becomes an important and irreplaceable resource on physician's desk...
- Locally advanced breast cancer: comparison of mammography, sonography and MR imaging in evaluation of residual disease in women receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapyViviana Londero
Institute of Radiology, University of Udine, Via Colugna 50, 33100 Udine, Italy
Eur Radiol 14:1371-9. 2004..5%. MRI assesses response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy better than traditional methods of physical examination and mammography...
- Proliferative high-risk lesions of the breast: contribution and limits of US-guided core biopsyChiara Zuiani
Istituto di Radiologia, Azienda Policlinico Universitario a Gestione Diretta, Dipartimento Interaziendale di Oncologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Santa Maria della Misericordia, Universita Degli Studi di Udine, Udine, Italy
Radiol Med 110:589-602. 2005..To discuss the management of the patient after a core biopsy diagnosis of high-risk proliferative breast lesion...
- Feasibility study of a web application for self-report of anticancer treatment toxicitiesVincenzo Della Mea
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Udine, 33100 Udine, Italy
Stud Health Technol Inform 150:562-6. 2009..The present paper describes a web application called PaTOS for self-report of anticancer therapy toxicities, and its evaluation in a preliminary interface analysis and then in a feasibility study...
- Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in elderly patients with metastatic breast cancerAlessandro M Minisini
University and General Hospital of Udine, Department of Oncology, Udine, Italy
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 8:331-42. 2008..Tolerability of this agent in elderly patients has been confirmed by clinical trials in the advanced disease. Due to its efficacy and safety profile, PLD is an appealing treatment option for elderly breast cancer patients...
- From the podium to the patient: bringing the 2008 ASCO meeting to the clinicGiuseppe Aprile
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 19:941-56. 2008....
- Determinants of recovery from amenorrhea in premenopausal breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy in the taxane eraAlessandro Marco Minisini
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 20:503-7. 2009..04) were associated with an increased probability of permanent chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea. Recovery of menses after chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea occurs more probably in younger women, with no pregnancies and receiving taxanes...
- Pharmacology and therapeutic efficacy of capecitabine: focus on breast and colorectal cancerGiuseppe Aprile
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 20:217-29. 2009....
- Expert pathology consultation through the Internet: melanoma versus benign melanocytic tumoursV Della Mea
Department of Pathology, University of Udine, Italy
J Telemed Telecare 3:17-9. 1997..002). This preliminary study suggest that telepathology by internet electronic mail can be a valuable tool for remote consultation in dematopathology, as well as for other diagnostic fields where expert consultation is necessary...
- Taxane-induced nail changes: incidence, clinical presentation and outcomeA M Minisini
Clinical Oncology, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Ann Oncol 14:333-7. 2003..They include nail pigmentation, subungual hematoma, Beau's lines and onycholysis and subungual suppuration. The incidence of such changes (ranging from 0% to 44%) is reviewed from a Medline search of the literature...
- Expression and localization of the homeodomain-containing protein HEX in human thyroid tumorsAngela V D'Elia
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Universita di Udine, 33100 Udine, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1376-83. 2002..These findings suggest that regulation of HEX entry in the nucleus of thyrocytes may represent a critical step during human thyroid tumorigenesis...
- Sonographic criteria for differentiation of benign and malignant solid breast lesions: size is of valueC del Frate
Istituto di Radiologia, Policlinico Universitario di Udine, Via Colugna 50, I 33100, Udine, Italy
Radiol Med 111:783-96. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether lesion size may influence the value of sonographic findings in the differential diagnosis between benign or malignant breast lesions...
- Markers of the uPA system and common prognostic factors in breast cancerAlessandro Marco Minisini
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 128:112-7. 2007..05). A direct correlation was seen between uPA and PAI-1, uPA and COX-2, and PAI-1 and COX-2 expression ( P < .05). Interaction between uPA and COX-2 systems in breast cancer deserves further study...
- PTEN and Egr-1 expression in thyroid proliferative lesionsCarla Di Loreto
Anatomic Pathology, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 224:105-9. 2005..75%), nodular hyperplasia (30.5%) and papillary carcinoma (28.25%). Adenomas, follicular carcinomas and undifferentiated carcinomas showed a significant decrease of nuclear positivity (P=0.001; P=0.001 and P=0.004, respectively)...
- Cognitive functions and elderly cancer patients receiving anticancer treatment: a prospective studyAlessandro M Minisini
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Ple SM della Misercordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 67:71-9. 2008..Overall, cognitive function did not worsen across time in each group. However, more patients in the CT group showed worsening in memory skills, and more patients in the ET and CT group experienced reduction in the attention score...
- Effect of age on hemoglobin levels and quality of life following treatment with epoetin alfa in cancer patientsFabio Puglisi
Department of Oncology, University Hospital, Piazzale Santa Maria della Misericordia, Udine, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 69:175-82. 2009..Thus, once-weekly epoetin alfa was equally effective in treating chemotherapy-related anemia in elderly and younger adult patients, with similar tolerability...
- BRCA2 germline mutations in primary cancer of the fallopian tubeSara Casarsa
Clinica Ostetrica e Ginecologica, Università di Udine and Breast Unit, Policlinico Universitario di Udine, Udine, Italy
Oncol Rep 12:313-6. 2004....
- What is the effect of systemic anticancer treatment on cognitive function?Alessandro Minisini
Unit of Medical Oncology, University of Udine, Italy
Lancet Oncol 5:273-82. 2004..These trials should have sufficient statistical power and, importantly, should also be prospective...
- Topoisomerase IIalpha and APE/ref-1 are associated with pathologic response to primary anthracycline-based chemotherapy for breast cancerAlessandro M Minisini
Medical Oncology Department, University of Udine and S Maria della Misericordia Hospital, P le SM della Misericordia, I 33100 Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 224:133-9. 2005..Higher topoisomerase IIalpha (P=0.007) and lower APE/ref-1 (P=0.04) expression were associated with better pathologic response...
- Phase II, randomized trial of preoperative epirubicin-paclitaxel +/- gefitinib with biomarker evaluation in operable breast cancerValentina Guarneri
Department of Oncology and Hematology, Modena University Hospital, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 110:127-34. 2008..Secondary aims: to evaluate EGFR, (p)-EGFR, Ki67, apoptotic index (TUNEL test) and VEGFR2 expression from baseline to surgery, percentage of pathologic complete response (pCR), and toxicity...
- Progress and new standards of care in the management of HER-2 positive breast cancerGaston Demonty
Medical Oncology Clinic, Jules Bordet Institute, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 43:497-509. 2007..The results of the recently reported adjuvant trials are commented, as the positive results of these trials changed the standard of care for patients with this particular type of breast cancer...
- Sequential chemotherapy with paclitaxel plus cisplatin, followed by vinorelbine, followed by gemcitabine in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: an Alpe-Adria Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary group study (ATOM 001)Francesco Grossi
Disease Management Team Lung Cancer, Medical Oncology A, National Institute for Cancer Research, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Lung Cancer 46:99-106. 2004..This pilot experience provides the basis for an ongoing randomized phase III trial comparing our sequential regimen versus cisplatin plus gemcitabine...
- Shrinking the tumor, shrinking the patient sample size: the early disclosure dilemmaFabio Puglisi
J Clin Oncol 23:6803-4; author reply 6804-5. 2005
- Proteomic evaluation of core biopsy specimens from breast lesionsAlessia Bisca
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Centro M A T I, Universita di Udine, Piazzale Kolbe 1, Udine 33100, Italy
Cancer Lett 204:79-86. 2004..Thus, our study provides a methodology to perform proteomic analysis on pre-operative samples of breast lesions...
- Bone scanning in lung cancer: pretest probability is of valueFabio Puglisi
BMJ 329:231. 2004
- D-dimer and venous thromboembolismFabio Puglisi
Ann Intern Med 141:482-3; author reply 483. 2004
- Trastuzumab and breast cancer. Are we just beyond the prologue of a fascinating story?Fabio Puglisi
Onkologie 28:547-9. 2005