Antonio E Pontiroli
Affiliation: University of Milan
- Female sexual dysfunction and diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysisAntonio E Pontiroli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna and Cattedra di Statistica Medica e Biometria, Dipartimento di Scienze della Salute and Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e di Comunità, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
J Sex Med 10:1044-51. 2013..Sexual dysfunction is reported in diabetic women (female sexual dysfunction [FSD])...
- Metabolic control and risk of hypoglycaemia during the first year of intensive insulin treatment in type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysisA E Pontiroli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna e Cattedra di Biometria, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, and Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:433-46. 2012....
- Ezetimibe + simvastatin versus doubling the dose of simvastatin in high cardiovascular risk diabetics: a multicenter, randomized trial (the LEAD study)Gianluca Bardini
Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Cardiovasc Diabetol 9:20. 2010..This was a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, double-dummy study in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Familial clustering of arterial blood pressure, HDL cholesterol, and pro-insulin but not of insulin resistance and microalbuminuria in siblings of patients with type 2 diabetesA E Pontiroli
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, and the Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Unità de Malattie Metaboliche, Milan, Italy
Diabetes Care 23:1359-64. 2000..These offspring also show metabolic abnormalities of type 2 diabetes, such as insulin resistance, high insulin and pro-insulin, low HDL cholesterol levels, arterial hypertension, and microalbuminuria...
- Evaluation of insulin release and insulin sensitivity through oral glucose tolerance test: differences between NGT, IFG, IGT, and type 2 diabetes mellitus. A cross-sectional and follow-up studyA E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Ospedale San Paolo, Universita di Milano, Via A Di Rudini 8, I 20142, Milan, Italy
Acta Diabetol 41:70-6. 2004..IFG, IGT and type 2 diabetes mellitus are characterized by reduced IR compared to IS...
- Left ventricular hypertrophy and QT interval in obesity and in hypertension: effects of weight loss and of normalisation of blood pressureA E Pontiroli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:1118-23. 2004..Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) and prolonged QT interval at ECG (QTc) are common in both obesity and arterial hypertension (AH), and are risk factors for cardiovascular disease and sudden death...
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus is becoming the most common type of diabetes in school childrenA E Pontiroli
Department of Internal Medicine, San Paolo Hospital, 1 20142 Milan, Italy
Acta Diabetol 41:85-90. 2004..If this epidemics continues and is not properly challenged, in the next decades we will face an epidemic of early cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- In morbid obesity, metabolic abnormalities and adhesion molecules correlate with visceral fat, not with subcutaneous fat: effect of weight loss through surgeryAntonio E Pontiroli
Ospedale San Paolo, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via A Di Rudini 8, 20142, Milan, Italy
Obes Surg 19:745-50. 2009..Decrease of both visceral fat (surgery, physical exercise) and subcutaneous fat (liposuction) is accompanied by improvement of insulin sensitivity...
- Post-surgery adherence to scheduled visits and compliance, more than personality disorders, predict outcome of bariatric restrictive surgery in morbidly obese patientsAntonio E Pontiroli
Università degli Studi di Milano and Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Obes Surg 17:1492-7. 2007..We evaluated a set of predictors of short-term and long-term clinical outcome including psychiatric and psychological variables, as well as measures of post-surgery compliance...
- Sympathetic overactivity, endothelial dysfunction, inflammation, and metabolic abnormalities cluster in grade III (World Health Organization) obesity: reversal through sustained weight loss obtained with laparoscopic adjustable gastric bandingAntonio E Pontiroli
, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
Diabetes Care 29:2735-8. 2006
- Body weight and glucose metabolism have a different effect on circulating levels of ICAM-1, E-selectin, and endothelin-1 in humansAntonio E Pontiroli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Universita degli Studi, 2nd Divisione di Medicina Interna, Ospedale San Paolo, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 150:195-200. 2004..In this paper we compared the role of weight loss and of glycaemic control in determining circulating levels of ICAM-1, endothelin-1 (ET-1), and E-selectin in patients with morbid (grade 3) obesity...
- Ultrasound measurement of visceral and subcutaneous fat in morbidly obese patients before and after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: comparison with computerized tomography and with anthropometric measurementsA E Pontiroli
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Obes Surg 12:648-51. 2002..Bariatric surgery leads to a significant and usually durable weight loss in morbidly obese patients; when assessing its results, it is of interest to measure changes of total fat tissue and of body fat distribution...
- Laparoscopic gastric banding prevents type 2 diabetes and arterial hypertension and induces their remission in morbid obesity: a 4-year case-controlled studyAntonio E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Ospedale San Paolo, Via A Di Rudini, 8, 20142 Milano, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:2703-9. 2005..29 patients) and remission (secondary intervention study; 17 vs. 20 patients) of type 2 diabetes and hypertension in grade 3 obesity in a 4-year study...
- Increase of body weight during the first year of intensive insulin treatment in type 2 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analysisA E Pontiroli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna e Cattedra di Biometria, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Università degli Studi di Milano and Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:1008-19. 2011....
- Long-term prevention of mortality in morbid obesity through bariatric surgery. a systematic review and meta-analysis of trials performed with gastric banding and gastric bypassAntonio E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Ann Surg 253:484-7. 2011..Bariatric surgery has been reported to reduce long-term mortality in operated participants in comparison with nonoperated participants...
- Early effects of gastric banding (LGB) and of biliopancreatic diversion (BPD) on insulin sensitivity and on glucose and insulin response after OGTTAntonio E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, 2a Divisione di Medicina Interna, Ospedale San Paolo, Via A Di Rudini 8, Milan, Italy
Obes Surg 20:474-9. 2010..Bariatric surgery improves glucose metabolism...
- In middle-aged siblings of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus normal glucose tolerance is associated with insulin resistance and with increased insulin secretion. The SPIDER studyA E Pontiroli
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Istituto San Raffaele, Unita di Malattie Metaboliche, Milano, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 143:681-6. 2000....
- Biliary pancreatic diversion and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in morbid obesity: their long-term effects on metabolic syndrome and on cardiovascular parametersAntonio E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:37. 2009....
- White blood cells in obesity and diabetes: effects of weight loss and normalization of glucose metabolismAnna Veronelli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, , Italy
Diabetes Care 27:2501-2. 2004
- Weight loss through gastric banding: effects on TSH and thyroid hormones in obese subjects with normal thyroid functionChiara Dall'Asta
Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:854-7. 2010..These changes, however, do not modify TSH, letting us to hypothesize that the changes are due to a decrease of D1 and D2 deiodinase activities...
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of morbid (grade 3) obesity and its metabolic complications: a three-year studyAntonio E Pontiroli
, Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3555-61. 2002....
- Sexual dysfunction is frequent in premenopausal women with diabetes, obesity, and hypothyroidism, and correlates with markers of increased cardiovascular risk. A preliminary reportAnnamaria Veronelli
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Italy
J Sex Med 6:1561-8. 2009....
- C-174G polymorphism in the promoter of the interleukin-6 gene is associated with insulin resistanceMarina Cardellini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Rome, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:2007-12. 2005..We addressed the question of whether the C-174G IL-6 polymorphism contributes to variation of insulin sensitivity...
- Bariatric surgery in obesity: changes of glucose and lipid metabolism correlate with changes of fat massF Frige'
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:198-204. 2009..Our aim was to compare restrictive (LAGB, laparoscopic gastric banding) and malabsorptive approaches (BIBP, biliary-intestinal bypass) on the loss of fat-free mass (FFM), fat mass (FM), and on changes of glucose and lipid metabolism...
- Weight loss reverses secondary failure of oral hypoglycaemic agents in obese non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients independently of the duration of the diseaseA E Pontiroli
Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Cattedra di Clinica Medica, Italy
Diabete Metab 19:30-5. 1993..Systolic and diastolic blood pressure and serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels also decreased in obese, but not in non-obese Type 2 diabetes patients.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- MRI in identifying hepatic steatosis in obese children and relation to ultrasonography and metabolic findingsCarlo Pozzato
Department of Radiology, San Paolo Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:493-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to identify nonalcoholic fatty liver in obese children by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and to compare the findings with the data from ultrasonography and from clinical and laboratory testing...
- Thirty months experience with laparoscopic adjustable gastric bandingM Paganelli
First Surgical Department, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
Obes Surg 10:269-71. 2000..Since June 1996 we performed laparoscopic adjustable silicone gastric banding (LASGB), because of low invasivity, absence of malabsorption, reversibility, and postoperative regulation...
- Additive effect of overweight and type 2 diabetes in the appearance of coronary heart disease but not of stroke: a cross-sectional studyA E Pontiroli
Dipartimento di Medicina II, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
Acta Diabetol 39:83-90. 2002..Finally, CHD is frequently associated with stroke, suggesting a common process of atherosclerosis underlying both diseases...
- Effect of weight loss through laparoscopic gastric banding on blood pressure, plasma renin activity and aldosterone levels in morbid obesityC Dall'Asta
Dipartimento di Medicina, Chirurgia e Odontoiatria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale San Paolo, Via A Di Rudini 8, 20142 Milano, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19:110-4. 2009..This study was aimed to investigate the effect of significant weight loss on blood pressure and plasma renin activity (PRA) and aldosterone levels, other then on metabolic profile, in normotensive and hypertensive obese subjects...
- Usefulness of chemical-shift MRI in discriminating increased liver echogenicity in glycogenosisC Pozzato
Department of Radiology, University of Milan, San Paolo Hospital, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:1018-23. 2007..Liver hyperechogenicity in glycogen storage diseases may depend on accumulation of glycogen and/or fat. Chemical-shift magnetic resonance imaging can discriminate tissues only containing water from those containing both fat and water...
- Gastric bezoars after adjustable gastric bandingAnna Veronelli
Cattedra di Medicina Interna, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Antonio Di Rudini 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
Obes Surg 14:796-7. 2004..Gastric bezoars may develop in the proximal pouch after gastric restriction...
- Prevalence of erectile dysfunction in thyroid disorders: comparison with control subjects and with obese and diabetic patientsA Veronelli
Medicina Interna, , Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Int J Impot Res 18:111-4. 2006..Both below and above the age of 50 years, ED score was worse in thyroid patients than in control subjects, while ED was more frequent in obese patients than in control subjects only below the age of 50 years...
- Insulin-secreting pituitary GH3 cells: a potential beta-cell surrogate for diabetes cell therapyA M Davalli
Cattedra di Clinica Medica, Universita Vita Salute, H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Cell Transplant 9:841-51. 2000..InsGH3 cells might represent a potential beta-cell surrogate because they are more resistant than pancreatic beta cells to different apoptotic insults and might therefore be particularly suitable for encapsulation...
- Pituitary cotransplantation significantly improves the performance, insulin content, and vascularization of renal subcapsular islet graftsA M Davalli
Unit of Metabolic Diseases, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Diabetes 48:59-65. 1999..Evidence suggesting that ectopically produced PRL and/or locally released angiogenic peptides might play a causal role is provided...
- Insulin and intracellular calcium responsiveness to glucagon-like peptide-1 and pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating peptide by dispersed adult porcine islet cellsA M Davalli
Unit of Metabolic Diseases, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Transplantation 67:174-6. 1999..There is a great need to learn more about porcine islet physiology because porcine islets represent a promising source of xenogeneic tissue for beta-cell replacement therapy in humans...
- Processing and release of human proinsulin-cleavage products into culture media by different engineered non-endocrine cells: a specific assessment by capillary electrophoresisC Arcelloni
Laboratory of Separative Techniques, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Scientific Institute H S Raffaele and School of Medicine, Milan, Italy
J Endocrinol 166:437-45. 2000..Capillary electrophoresis provided on-line and in a single run a complete overview of the proinsulin metabolic pathway in different cells...
- Metabolic aspects of bariatric surgeryFranco Folli
Department of Medicine, Diabetes Division, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Med Clin North Am 91:393-414, x. 2007..Further investigations are needed to understand better the mechanisms involved and to define more clearly the appropriate indications and contraindications of the treatments proposed...
- Impact of common polymorphisms in candidate genes for insulin resistance and obesity on weight loss of morbidly obese subjects after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and hypocaloric dietGiorgio Sesti
Dipartimento Medicina Sperimentale e Clinica, Universita Magna Graecia di Catanzaro, Via Campanella, 115, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:5064-9. 2005..It is unknown whether genetic factors that play an important role in body weight homeostasis influence the response to laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB)...
- Circulating leptin correlates with left ventricular mass in morbid (grade III) obesity before and after weight loss induced by bariatric surgery: a potential role for leptin in mediating human left ventricular hypertrophyLucia Perego
Divisione di Medicina Interna, Istituto Scientifico San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4087-93. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that leptin could contribute to the left ventricular hypertrophy in humans...
- The -866A/A genotype in the promoter of the human uncoupling protein 2 gene is associated with insulin resistance and increased risk of type 2 diabetesMonica D'Adamo
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Diabetes 53:1905-10. 2004..84, 95% CI 1.03-3.28; P = 0.037), but not in men. These results indicate that the -866A/A genotype of the UCP2 gene may contribute to diabetes susceptibility by affecting insulin sensitivity...
- Surgical treatment of obesity: impact on diabetes and other comorbiditiesAntonio E Pontiroli
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:1-6. 2008
- Plasma leptin levels and coronary heart diseaseAntonio E Pontiroli
Circulation 106:e42; author reply e42. 2002
- Asymptomatic hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia after gastric bandingMarina Scavini
N Engl J Med 353:2822-3. 2005