Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Left-sided early-onset vs late-onset colorectal carcinoma: histologic, clinical, and molecular differencesEmanuela Pilozzi
From the Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Sant Andrea Hospital, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 143:374-84. 2015..In this study, we investigate pathologic and molecular features of early- and late-onset carcinoma of the left colon...
- Primary malignant tumour of the lung with neuroendocrine and melanoma differentiationEmanuela Pilozzi
Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Ospedale Sant Andrea, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Virchows Arch 459:239-43. 2011
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors: correlation between symptoms at presentation, tumor location and prognostic factors in 47 consecutive patientsSalvatore Caterino
Surgical and Medical Department of Clinical Sciences, Biomedical Technologies and Translational Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Psychology University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
World J Surg Oncol 9:13. 2011..Prognosis is related to the size of the tumor and to the mitotic rate; other prognostic factors are tumor location, tumor resection margins, tumor rupture, and c-kit mutation that may interfere with molecular target therapy efficacy...
- True thymic hyperplasia associated with thymic hemorrhage in an adult patientEmanuela Pilozzi
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, II Faculty of Medicine, Sant Andrea Hospital, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 206:331-3. 2010..This finding raises the possibility that vascular malformations, perhaps due to an abnormal growth of the thymus, may be responsible for some cases of TH associated with TTH...
- p73 gene mutations in gastric adenocarcinomasE Pilozzi
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, II Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Ospedale Sant Andrea, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Mol Pathol 56:60-2. 2003..Because of the similarities between the p53 and p73 genes and the high frequency of mutation of p53, this study was designed to investigate the p73 gene in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma...
- CDX1 expression is reduced in colorectal carcinoma and is associated with promoter hypermethylationEmanuela Pilozzi
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Sant Andrea Hospital, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Pathol 204:289-95. 2004..These results suggest that CDX1 promoter hypermethylation is one of the molecular mechanisms that accounts for reduced CDX1 gene expression in colorectal carcinoma...
- B cell clonality in multiple localizations of primary central nervous system lymphomas in AIDS patientsEmanuela Pilozzi
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale e Patologia, University La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 44:963-6. 2003..Our findings suggest that multifocality of PCNSL is due to dissemination of a single neoplastic clone rather than to a synchronous transformation of multiple B cell clones...
- Expression of autoimmune regulator gene (AIRE) and T regulatory cells in human thymomasS Scarpino
Dip di Istopatologia ed Anatomia Patologica, Ospedale Sant Andrea, II Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 149:504-12. 2007..Our findings indicate that the tissue microenvironment of thymomas is defective in the expression of relevant functions that exert a crucial role in the negative selection of autoreactive lymphocytes...
- Peripheral T cell lymphoma with cytotoxic phenotype: an emerging disease in HIV-infected patients?Luigi P Ruco
Istituto Nazionale per le Malattie Infettive Lazzaro Spallanzani, Rome, Italy
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 20:129-33. 2004..Neoplastic cells were not infected by EBV or by HHV-8. They were negative for the B cell antigens CD20 and CD79a, for CD30 and for CD56. Clonal T cell receptor-g (TCR-g) rearrangements were demonstrated in the three cases...
- COX-2 is induced by HGF stimulation in Met-positive thyroid papillary carcinoma cells and is involved in tumour invasivenessStefania Scarpino
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, II Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Ospedale Sant Andrea, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
J Pathol 218:487-94. 2009..Our data suggest that the increased expression of Met protein in TPC cells has a role in up-regulating the expression of COX-2, which in turn contributes to the invasive capacity of TPC cells...
- Is colonoscopy sufficient for colorectal cancer surveillance in all HNPCC patients?Vito D Corleto
Department of Digestive and Liver Diseases, II School of Medicine, University La Sapienza, Centro Ricerche S Pietro FBF, Rome, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:7541-4. 2005....
- Human papillomavirus and colorectal cancer: evidences and pitfalls of published literatureLaura Lorenzon
II Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, St Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 26:135-42. 2011....
- Histological recovery and gluten-free diet adherence: a prospective 1-year follow-up study of adult patients with coeliac diseaseG Galli
Department of Digestive and Liver Disease, Sant Andrea Hospital, Sapienza University Rome, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 40:639-47. 2014..Adequate gluten-free diet (GFD) is the only treatment for coeliac disease (CD). However, no agreement has been reached on either how and when to assess patient adherence to GFD or its effectiveness on villous atrophy...
- Identification and expansion of the tumorigenic lung cancer stem cell populationA Eramo
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Molecular Medicine, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Cell Death Differ 15:504-14. 2008..Molecular and functional characterization of such a tumorigenic population may provide valuable information to be exploited in the clinical setting...
- Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid: methylation is not involved in the regulation of MET expressionS Scarpino
Dipartimento di Diagnostica di Laboratorio e Patologia, II Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Ospedale Sant Andrea, Via di Grottarossa 1035 1039, 00189 Università La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Br J Cancer 91:703-6. 2004..Evidence of methylation was not found in any of the analysed CpG...
- Thymosin beta4 targeting impairs tumorigenic activity of colon cancer stem cellsLucia Ricci-Vitiani
Department of Hematology, Oncology, and Molecular Medicine, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
FASEB J 24:4291-301. 2010..In conclusion, Tβ4 may have important implications for therapeutic intervention for treatment of human colon carcinoma...
- Gemcitabine triggers a pro-survival response in pancreatic cancer cells through activation of the MNK2/eIF4E pathwayL Adesso
Department of Biomedicine and Prevention, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Oncogene 32:2848-57. 2013....
- Development of type I gastric carcinoid in patients with chronic atrophic gastritisL Vannella
Dipartimento Medico Chirurgico di Scienze Cliniche, Tecnobiomediche e Medicina Traslazionale, Sant Andrea Hospital, School of Medicine, University Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:1361-9. 2011..Long-term observational studies assessing the incidence of type I gastric carcinoid (typeIGC) in patients with chronic atrophic gastritis are few...
- New models for cancer research: human cancer stem cell xenograftsMarta Baiocchi
Dipartimento Ematologia, Oncologia e Medicina Molecolare, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, Roma, Italy
Curr Opin Pharmacol 10:380-4. 2010..In this frame, immunity and microenvironment-related issues need careful consideration. Here we shortly revise present knowledge on xenograft-related aspects of human CSCs studies...
- E2F1-regulated microRNAs impair TGFbeta-dependent cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis in gastric cancerFabio Petrocca
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology and Medical Genetics, Human Cancer Genetics Program, Ohio State University, 460 West 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Cancer Cell 13:272-86. 2008..Together, these results suggest that the miR-106b-25 cluster is involved in E2F1 posttranscriptional regulation and may play a key role in the development of TGFbeta resistance in gastric cancer...
- Mucosal colonization of gastric endocrine tumors mimicking mixed neoplasmsTu Vinh Luong
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Parma, 14 Via Gramsci, 43100, Parma, Italy
Virchows Arch 452:169-74. 2008..Although mucosal entrapment by the tumor cannot be ruled out, they more likely reflect a hitherto unrecognized mechanism of mucosal colonization of gastric endocrine tumors...
- Identification and expansion of human colon-cancer-initiating cellsLucia Ricci-Vitiani
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, Rome 00161, Italy
Nature 445:111-5. 2007..We conclude that colorectal cancer is created and propagated by a small number of undifferentiated tumorigenic CD133+ cells, which should therefore be the target of future therapies...
- Acute megakaryoblastic leukemia in a patient receiving HAARTDora Larussa
Am J Hematol 80:89-90. 2005