Affiliation: University of Trieste
- Nature optimizes the swirling flow in the human left ventricleGianni Pedrizzetti
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile, Universita di Trieste, Italy
Phys Rev Lett 95:108101. 2005..An unnatural asymmetry, as given by cardiac diseases or valvular replacement, could reduce the efficiency of the heart pump by over 10%, thus augmenting the work required by the cardiac muscle...
- Functional strain-line pattern in the human left ventricleGianni Pedrizzetti
Dipartimento Ingegneria e Architettura, Universita di Trieste, Italy
Phys Rev Lett 109:048103. 2012..The same concept can help in characterizing the relation between functional and anatomical properties of biological tissues, as well as fiber-reinforced engineered materials...
- Kinematic characterization of valvular openingGianni Pedrizzetti
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile, Università di Trieste P le Europa 1, Italy
Phys Rev Lett 94:194502. 2005..The approach is then verified by numerical solution of the Navier-Stokes equation in asymptotic and nonasymptotic conditions...
- Pulsatile flow inside moderately elastic arteries, its modelling and effects of elasticityGianni Pedrizzetti
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile, Universita di Trieste, P le Europa 1, Trieste 34127, Italy
Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 5:219-31. 2002..Attention is posed to the role of phase difference between the incoming pressure and flow pulses...
- Fluid dynamics of the left ventricular filling in dilated cardiomyopathyBernardo Baccani
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile, Universita di Firenze, Via S Marta 3, 50139 Firenze, Italy
J Biomech 35:665-71. 2002..In the presence of ventricle dilatation the mitral jet extends farther inside the ventricle, propagation velocity decreases, and the fluid stagnates longer at the apex...
- Model and influence of mitral valve opening during the left ventricular fillingBernardo Baccani
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile, Universita di Firenze, Via S Marta, 3, Firenze 50139, Italy
J Biomech 36:355-61. 2003..They are analysed also in terms of M-mode representation suggesting a physical interpretation of the pattern detected in the clinical measurements that extends the one given previously on the basis of fixed valve models...
- Flow-tissue interaction with compliance mismatch in a model stented arteryAngela Tortoriello
Dipartimento di Ingegneria e Fisica dell Ambiente, Universita degli Studi della Basilicata, C da Macchia Romana, 85100 Potenza, Italy
J Biomech 37:1-11. 2004..These effects are enhanced when the prosthesis is accompanied by a small increase of the vessel lumen...
- Supernormal functional reserve of apical segments in elite soccer players: an ultrasound speckle tracking handgrip stress studyLaura Stefani
Sports Medicine Center, Non invasive Cardiac Laboratory, University of Florence, Italy
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 6:14. 2008..The study aimed to evaluate regional left ventricular functional reserve in elite soccer players...