Affiliation: University of Siena
- P0 antigen detection in sudden hearing loss and Ménière's disease: a new diagnostic marker?Desiderio Passali
ENT Departments, University of Siena Medical School, Siena, Italy
Acta Otolaryngol 124:1145-8. 2004..To evaluate the presence of IgG autoantibodies against the P0 antigen in patients affected by sudden hearing loss and Meniere's disease (MD)...
- [Haemostatic ointment efficacy in the treatment and prevention of epistaxis: a multi-centric study in 100 patients]D Passali
Dipart di Scienze Ortopedico Riabilitative, Radiologiche ed Otorinolaringoiatriche, Policlinico Le Scotte, Universita di Siena, Italia
Clin Ter 156:139-43. 2005..To evaluate the protective effects of an haemostatic ointment, at rhinosinusal mucosa level, on the development of bleeding in patients affected by epistaxis or with a positive clinical history for epistaxis in previous 7 days...
- ENT manifestations of gastroesophageal refluxDesiderio Passali
Ear, Nose, and Throat Clinic, Policlinico Le Scotte, University of Siena, 53100, Siena, Italy
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 8:240-4. 2008..A firm connection remains controversial, and further randomized trials are needed...
- [Revision of the European Position Paper on Rhinosinusitis and Nasal Polyposis (EP3OS) with particular attention to acute and recurrent rhinosinusitis]D Passali
Clinica ORL, , Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 27:1-21. 2007
- Consensus Conference on Nasal PolyposisDesiderio Passali
ENT Department, University of Siena Medical School, V le Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 24:3-61. 2004
- Nasal obstruction and headache. A real correlation?Desiderio Passali
ENT Department University of Siena Medical School, Viale Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:1407-11. 2004..to evaluate the relationships between headache and nasal obstruction or nasal allergy on a group of Italian school children...
- Structural and immunological characteristics of chronically inflamed adenotonsillar tissue in childhoodDesiderio Passali
Ear Nose Throat Department, University of Siena Medical School Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci 53100, Siena, Italy
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:1154-7. 2004..Titration of interleukin-1beta and tumor necrosis factor alpha in serum and tissues demonstrated higher concentrations in the adenotonsillar specimens, whereas the rise in interleukin-6 was more modest...
- [Rationale of the use of COX-2 inhibitors in ENT pathologies]D Passali
Istituto di Discipline Otorinolaringologiche Università degli Studi di Siena, Italia
Clin Ter 155:439-42. 2004....
- Atomized nasal douche vs nasal lavage in acute viral rhinitisDesiderio Passali
ENT Department, University of Siena Medical School, Siena, Italy
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:788-90. 2005..To evaluate the efficacy of the atomized nasal douche in the restoration of physiological nasal functions in patients affected by acute viral rhinosinusitis, when compared with nasal lavages with isotonic sodium chloride solution...
- Nasal decongestants in the treatment of chronic nasal obstruction: efficacy and safety of useDesiderio Passali
Chief Professor, ENT Clinic University of Siena Medical School, Policlinico Le Scotte Viale Bracci, 53100 Siena, Italy
Expert Opin Drug Saf 5:783-90. 2006..An updated review of the most significant works in this field and the best treatment protocol to avoid adverse effects, such as rhinitis medicamentosa, are reported...
- [Glucan solution nasal spray vs saline in the treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis: a multi-centric double blind randomised clinical trial]D Passali
Istituto di Otorinolaringoiatria, Universita di Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Siena, Italia
Clin Ter 158:139-45. 2007..The aim of our study was to evaluate the efficacy of 30 days treatment with glucan solution nasal spray vs. saline in the treatment of signs and symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis...
- Allergic rhinitis in Italy: epidemiology and definition of most commonly used diagnostic and therapeutic modalitiesD Passali
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 23:257-64. 2003..A critical analysis of these data leads to some interesting epidemiological and therapeutic considerations...
- Alterations in rhinosinusal homeostasis in a sportive population: our experience with 106 athletesDesiderio Passali
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Sienna Medical School, V le Bracci, 53100, Sienna, Italy
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:502-6. 2004..Athletes, in fact, need the earliest therapeutic aid in order to avoid the interference of prolonged rhino-sinusal alterations with their performance and also to avoid a more serious clinical situation concerning the inferior airways...
- Airbags and permanent auditory deficits. A real correlation?D Passali
E N T Department, University of Siena Medical School
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 57:177-81. 2003..To evaluate the relationship between airbag-induced noise and individual metabolic risk factors in determining persistent hypoacusia in drivers after road accidents...
- [Endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy: a personal experience]R Piane
Istituto di Discipline Otorinolaringologiche, Universita di Siena
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 19:255-9. 1999..In the present work 67 patients--24 with recurrence after traditional surgery--underwent endonasal DCR within the last 22 months and with an average follow-up of one year. Surgery was successful in 90% of the cases...
- The role of rhinomanometry, acoustic rhinometry, and mucociliary transport time in the assessment of nasal patencyD Passali
ENT Department, University of Siena Medical School, Italy
Ear Nose Throat J 79:397-400. 2000..However, for a few patients, there was a correlation between symptom scores and mucociliary transport times...
- Efficacy and safety of ketoprofen lysine salt mouthwash versus benzydamine hydrochloride mouthwash in acute pharyngeal inflammation: a randomized, single-blind studyD Passali
ENT Department, University of Siena Medical School, Policlinico Le Scotte, Italy
Clin Ther 23:1508-18. 2001..Pharyngodynia, or sore throat, is one of the symptoms most frequently reported by patients to primary care physicians...
- Amoxicillin/clavulanate in chronic rhinosinusitis: tissue and serum distributionD Passali
E N T Department, University of Siena Medical School, Sienna, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 55:259-64. 2001..Amoxicillin/clavulanate in chronic rhinosinusitis: tissue and serum distribution...
- Treatment of recurrent chronic hyperplastic sinusitis with nasal polyposisDesiderio Passali
ENT Department, University of Siena Medical School, Siena, Italy
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:656-9. 2003....
- Newborn hearing screening by transient evoked otoacoustic emissions: analysis of response as a function of risk factorsB De Capua
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 23:16-20. 2003..These data stress the importance of the risk factors for hearing loss, including prolonged assisted ventilation, ototoxic drugs, and severe birth asphyxia...
- Do tryptase, ECP and specific IgE measurement by nasal incubation increase the specific nasal provocation test sensitivity?L Bellussi
ENT Dept, University of Siena, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 17:201-8. 2004....
- [Bacterial internalization and intracellular activity of quinolones and macrolides]L Bellussi
Clinica ORL, , Siena
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 27:1-11. 2007
- Rhino-Bronchial Syndrome. The SIO-AIMAR (Italian Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head Neck Surgery-Interdisciplinary Scientific Association for the Study of the Respiratory Diseases) surveyD Passali
Department of Human Pathology and Oncology, ENT Clinic, University of Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 31:27-34. 2011..The recovery rate of about 94% of patients after 3 months of treatment, stresses the importance of a correct diagnosis...
- Quality of life and psycho-social development in children with otitis media with effusionL Bellussi
ENT Department, Siena University Medical School, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 25:359-64. 2005..Quality of life in children with otitis media with effusion is one of the most important parameters to be taken into consideration on account of the possible correlation with problems in development...
- Safety, tolerability and efficacy of sublingual allergoid immunotherapy with three different shortened up-dosing administration schedulesD Passali
Ear, Nose, and Throat Clinic, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:131-7. 2010..According to the Authors, with this simplified schedule process, sublingual immunotherapy is a therapeutic option that is becoming increasingly well-accepted not only by allergy specialists but also by patients...
- Acoustic rhinometry: practical aspects of measurementD Passali
E N T Department, University of Siena, Medical School Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 50:41-5. 1996..Rhinological diagnosis using acoustic rhinometry (AR) is described. The reliability of the test is improved by using a variable geometry craniostat allowing identical repositioning of the subject's head in various tests...
- Group A streptococcus and its antibiotic resistanceD Passali
ENT Clinic, University of Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 27:27-32. 2007..Beta-lactams select a large number of F1-positive organisms: therefore, macrolides, and, possibly, last generation molecules, are the best and first choice for antibiotic treatment against group A Streptococcus...
- [Comparative study of most recent surgical techniques for the treatment of the hypertrophy of inferior turbinates]D Passali
Istituto di Discipline O R L, Policlinico Le Scotte,
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 15:219-28. 1995..The conclusion was that the submucosal decongestion with lateral outfracture was the most effective technique for the chronic nasal obstruction, able to respect all the nasal functions...
- Foreign body inhalation in children: an updateD Passali
ENT Department, Medical School, University of Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci, Siena, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:27-32. 2010....
- [Presumed physiopathology of the nasal wall surgery and contemporary techniques of the inferior turbinates surgery]D Passali
Istituto di Discipline Otorinolaringologiche, Universita di Siena
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 16:202-10. 1996..The results show that the submucosal decongestion technique, particularly the variation with lateral luxation, is considered most effective in resolving obstruction while respecting nasal physiology...
- Database application for patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndromeD Passali
ENT Department, Universita di Siena
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 32:252-5. 2012....
- Betahistine dihydrochloride in the treatment of peripheral vestibular vertigoEugenio Mira
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Pavia, I R C C S Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 260:73-7. 2003..The effective and safe profile of betahistine in the treatment of vertigo due to peripheral vestibular disorders was confirmed...
- Inflammatory bowel disease: an increased risk factor for recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy in thyroid surgeryG Caruso
ENT Unit, Siena University, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 32:130-2. 2012..Herein we report on two patients with IBD presenting with transient bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy after total thyroidectomy without any evident mechanical or traumatic manoeuvres on apparently preserved nerves...
- EAACI position paper on rhinosinusitis and nasal polyps executive summaryW Fokkens
Academic Medical Centre, ENT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Allergy 60:583-601. 2005
- [Acute, subacute and recurrent bacterial rhinosinusitis in pediatrics: guidelines of the Study Group of the Italian Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (SITIP)]S Esposito
Istituto di Pediatria, , Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milano, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 59:474-5. 2007
- [Rhinosinusitis: etiopathogenesis and antimicrobial therapy, an update]M De Benedetto
Dipartimento di Discipline Otorinolaringologiche, , Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 26:5-22. 2006..The central role of medical management is based on the choice of antimicrobial treatment. The fundamental concepts on pharmacocinetic and pharmacodinamic are reported, togther with updated data on antimicrobial resistance...
- [Consensus report on the diagnosis of rhino-bronchial syndrome (RBS)]M De Benedetto
U.O. ORL, Osp. V. Fazzi, Lecce
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 23:406-8. 2003
- Child mortality due to suffocation in Europe (1980-1995): a review of official dataG Zigon
Dept. Statistic G. Parenti, University of Florence, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 26:154-61. 2006..The European mortality rate exceeds nearly one death per 100,000 persons. No evidence of any geographical pattern or cyclic trend emerged from the analysis of this official data...
- International Consensus on Nasal Polyposis 2002-2004R Mladina
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Salata, Croatia
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:519-21. 2005..A Digi-Vote electronic system was used for an immediate computer analysis of expert answers to 23 questions related to the problem of nasal polyposis...
- Rhinitis and asthma in athletes: an ARIA document in collaboration with GA2LENS Bonini
IRCCS San Raffale, Rome, Italy
Allergy 61:681-92. 2006....
- The cost of foreign body injuries in the upper aero-digestive tract: need for a change from a clinical to a public health perspective?D Gregori
Department of Public Health and Microbiology, University of Torino, Via Santena 5bis, 10126 Torino, Italy
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:1391-8. 2007..This paper addressed the impact in terms of direct costs of the injuries in children due to foreign bodies in the upper aero-digestive tract...
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and subacute rhinosinusitis in childrenS Esposito
Institute of Pediatrics, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Chemother 20:147-57. 2008..These guidelines are based on the 125 that were considered truly relevant and reflect the most widely shared positions concerning the diagnosis and treatment of acute, subacute and recurrent rhinosinusitis in children...
- Comments on volatile anesthetics and mucociliary clearanceD Passali
Minerva Anestesiol 74:103-4. 2008
- Foreign bodies in the upper airways: the experience of two Italian hospitalsD Gregori
Department of Public Health and Microbiology, University of Torino, Italy
J Prev Med Hyg 48:24-6. 2007..To study the pattern of foreign bodies in the upper airways as emerging from the hospital records in the Bologna and Siena hospitals in Italy 1997-2002...
- [Research on evaluation of bibliometric indices for Italian scientific production in otorhinolaryngology]E Mora
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 23:215-24. 2003