Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Chieti
- Diagnosis and management of dementia with Lewy bodies: third report of the DLB ConsortiumLaura Bonanni
Neurology 66:1455; author reply 1455. 2006
- Botulinum toxin treatment of lateral axial dystonia in ParkinsonismLaura Bonanni
Neurophysiopathology, University G d Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, Italy
Mov Disord 22:2097-103. 2007..Two patients did not report any benefit. Four patients opted to continue to receive BTX treatment for 2 years after the cross-over study. Our study shows that BTX could be considered a possible treatment for LAD in parkinsonism...
- Acute akinesia in Parkinson diseaseMarco Onofrj
Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorders Center, and Department of Oncology, University G D Annunzio, and Aging Research Center, Ce S I, Gabriele D Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Neurology 64:1162-9. 2005..To assess acute akinesia in patients with Parkinson disease (PD) ("acute akinesia" defined as a sudden deterioration in motor performance that persists for > or =48 hours despite treatment)...
- Symptomatic REM sleep behaviour disorderA Thomas
Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorders Center, University G D Annunzio Chieti and Pescara, Italy, Via Fonte Romane, I 65124, Pescara, Italy
Neurol Sci 28:S21-36. 2007..Controversial findings, flaws in categorisation and hypothetical aetiological mechanisms are also discussed...
- Cohort study of prevalence and phenomenology of tremor in dementia with Lewy bodiesMarco Onofrj
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, University G d Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, Via dei Vestini, 66100 Chieti, Italy
J Neurol 260:1731-42. 2013..Recognizing that there is a clinical category of tremulous DLB may help the differential diagnosis of tremors...
- New approaches to understanding hallucinations in Parkinson's disease: phenomenology and possible originsMarco Onofrj
University G D Annunzio, Department of Neurophysiopathology, Chieti Pescara, 65124, Pescara, Italy
Expert Rev Neurother 7:1731-50. 2007..Further studies will try to separate phenomenology and responses to treatment and will investigate the relevance of concomitant sleep disorders and abnormality of frontoparietal networks involved in the attention process...
- Severe worsening of parkinsonism in Lewy body dementia due to donepezilMarco Onofrj
Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorder Center, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Italy
Neurology 61:1452. 2003
- Clinically evidenced unilateral dissociation of saccades and pursuit eye movementsM Onofrj
Neurophysiopathology, University Chieti Pescara, Pescara, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:1048-50. 2004..Clinical observations were confirmed by magnetic field scleral search coils analysis. During the vertical eye movement the patient denied any diplopia, thus suggesting a transient visual suppression in the left eye...
- Combining entacapone with levodopa/DDCI improves clinical status and quality of life in Parkinson's Disease (PD) patients experiencing wearing-off, regardless of the dosing frequency: results of a large multicentre open-label studyM Onofrj
Servizio di Neurofisiopatologia, Pescara, Italy
J Neural Transm 111:1053-63. 2004....
- Long half-life and prolonged-release dopamine receptor agonists: a review of ropinirole prolonged-release studiesM Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neurosciences, University G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:S85-92. 2009..The study with ropinirole as an add-on to L-dopa showed a reduced incidence of dyskinesias...
- Emergencies in parkinsonism: akinetic crisis, life-threatening dyskinesias, and polyneuropathy during L-Dopa gel treatmentMarco Onofrj
Institute of Neurology, Movement Disorders Center, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Italy
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:S233-6. 2009..However, hemapheresis was not effective in some reported cases, and recent evidence suggests that Vitamin B12 deficiency or direct high-dose chronic L-Dopa toxicity might play a role in its origin...
- Visual hallucinations in Parkinson's disease: clues to separate originsM Onofrj
Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorders Center, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Neurol Sci 248:143-50. 2006..Our studies support a recently proposed integrative model of VH, and show that the neural circuits purported to explain VH must include the retinal dopaminergic system and the REM sleep regulatory system...
- An expert opinion on safinamide in Parkinson's diseaseMarco Onofrj
University G d Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, University Foundation G D Annunzio, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Ageing Research Center, CeSI, via Colle Dell Ara 31, 66013 Chieti Scalo, Italy
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 17:1115-25. 2008..Preliminary results from experimental models suggest potential neuroprotective effects. Studies on the potential effects on nonmotor symptoms are ongoing...
- Delayed and pseudodelayed visual evoked potentials in optic neuritis compared with long time echo-short tau inversion recovery magnetic resonance imaging of optic nerveM Onofrj
Department of Neurology, State University of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 100:275-86. 1996..There was no correlation between latency of VEPs and length of plaques. Our study addresses some reconsiderations of the pathophysiology of conduction delay in acute optic neuritis...
- Cohort study on somatoform disorders in Parkinson disease and dementia with Lewy bodiesMarco Onofrj
Department of Neurology, University G d Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, Italy
Neurology 74:1598-606. 2010..To assess somatoform disorder (SFMD) prevalence and impact in Parkinson disease (PD) and dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB)...
- The effects of a cholinesterase inhibitor are prominent in patients with fluctuating cognition: a part 3 study of the main mechanism of cholinesterase inhibitors in dementiaMarco Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Institute of Neurophysiopathology, University G D Annunzio, via Fonte Romano, Chieti Pescura, 65124 Pescara, Italy
Clin Neuropharmacol 26:239-51. 2003..Logistic analysis showed that P3 latency predicts the effect of DPZ (P = 0.04, P < 0.01) in the crossover study, and CRTV predicts the effect at the 6-month follow-up...
- HLA typing does not predict REM sleep behaviour disorder and hallucinations in Parkinson's diseaseMarco Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Movement Disorders Center, Neurophysiopathology, Universita G D Annunzio, via Fonte Romano, 65124 Chieti Pescara, Italy
Mov Disord 18:337-40. 2003....
- Mirtazapine induces REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) in parkinsonismM Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio, Pescara, Italy
Neurology 60:113-5. 2003..These disturbances resolved with drug discontinuation, and remained resolved by 12- to 24-month follow-up, suggesting that RBD can be triggered by a drug lacking anticholinergic activity...
- Movement disorders in focus: experts debate on pathophysiology and concomitant signsMarco Onofrj
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, Institute of Neurology University Foundation, G D Annunzio Center of Excellency of Ageing, University Chieti, Pescara, Italy
Expert Rev Neurother 11:1239-41. 2011....
- Donepezil versus vitamin E in Alzheimer's disease: Part 2: mild versus moderate-severe Alzheimer's diseaseMarco Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Institute of Neurophysiopathology, University G D Annunzio, Italy
Clin Neuropharmacol 25:207-15. 2002..Combined P3 event related potentials measurements, neuropsychologic test comparison evidences significant effects of DPZ in mild and in moderate-severe AD...
- Age-related changes of evoked potentialsM Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
Neurophysiol Clin 31:83-103. 2001..Different techniques as event-related desynchronization (ERD), contingent negative variation (CNV) and Bereitschaftspotential, are available to study central neuronal changes in normal and pathologic ageing...
- Updates on Somatoform Disorders (SFMD) in Parkinson's Disease and Dementia with Lewy Bodies and discussion of phenomenologyMarco Onofrj
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, Neurology University G D Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Neurol Sci 310:166-71. 2011..SFMD symptoms preceded PD motor signs by 6 months-5 years in 92% of the 29 DLB and 37 PD patients and in 70% SFMD were recurrent at follow-up. In 93% of these patients, hypochondria was a preceding or concomitant background...
- Delayed blink reflex in dementia with Lewy bodies is sensitive to cholinergic modulationFrancesca Anzellotti
Neurophysiopathology Unit, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio, G D Annunzio Foundation CE S I, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Clin Neuropharmacol 31:231-7. 2008..To assess the possible responsiveness of blink reflex alterations present in dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) to treatment with cholinesterase inhibitors...
- EEG comparisons in early Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson's disease with dementia patients with a 2-year follow-upLaura Bonanni
Department of Neurology, Aging Research Center, Ce S I, Gabriele D Annunzio University Foundation, University G d Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, via Fonte Romana, 65124 Pescara, Italy
Brain 131:690-705. 2008....
- Fluctuating cognition and different cognitive and behavioural profiles in Parkinson's disease with dementia: comparison of dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer's diseaseSara Varanese
Oncology and Neuroscience Department, University G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Neurol 257:1004-11. 2010..In conclusion, our study suggests that when FC occurs in PDD this syndrome becomes clinically undistinguishable from DLB...
- Default network is not hypoactive in dementia with fluctuating cognition: an Alzheimer disease/dementia with Lewy bodies comparisonRaffaella Franciotti
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 34:1148-58. 2013..69; p < 0.01). Causal flow analysis showed differences between patients with DLB and AD and control subjects...
- End-of-dose deterioration in non ergolinic dopamine agonist monotherapy of Parkinson's diseaseAstrid Thomas
Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorders Center, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Ospedale Civile di Pescara, via Fonte Romana, 65124, Pescara, Italy
J Neurol 253:1633-9. 2006..Our findings provide evidence of WO phenomena in patients with early PD receiving non-ergolinic DA monotherapy...
- Delayed blink reflex in dementia with Lewy bodiesLaura Bonanni
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio, G D Annunzio Foundation CESI, Chieti Pescara, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:1137-9. 2007..1 to 46.3 ms. BR latency was not related to the presence of RBD, while a Spearman correlation rho of 0.68 was found for scores assessing the presence of cognitive fluctuations. R2 delay was prominently (71.5%) bilateral...
- Pathological gambling in Parkinson disease is reduced by amantadineAstrid Thomas
Department of Neurology, University G D Annunzio, Chieti and Pescara, Italy
Ann Neurol 68:400-4. 2010..Amantadine might be useful to treat PG. The effect of amantadine, acting as an antiglutamatergic agent, also opens new insights into the pathogenesis of PG...
- Autoscopic phenomena: case report and review of literatureFrancesca Anzellotti
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, Aging Research Centre, Ce S I, G d Annunzio University Foundation G, d Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
Behav Brain Funct 7:2. 2011....
- Behavioural assessment of dysexecutive syndrome in Parkinson's disease without dementia: a comparison with other clinical executive tasksBernardo Perfetti
Department of Oncology and Neurosciences, University G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 16:46-50. 2010..However, we also demonstrated that, to assess executive impairments in PD without dementia adequately, this battery should be administered in combination with the TOL...
- Structural Alteration of the Dorsal Visual Network in DLB Patients with Visual Hallucinations: A Cortical Thickness MRI StudyStefano Delli Pizzi
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy Aging Research Centre, Ce S I, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti, Italy Institute for Advanced Biomedical Technologies ITAB, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti, Italy
PLoS ONE 9:e86624. 2014..We suggest that structural changes in key regions of the dorsal visual network may play a crucial role in the physiopathology of VH in DLB patients. ..
- Dopa-responsive pseudo-orthostatic tremor in parkinsonismAstrid Thomas
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Neurophysiopathology, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Italy
Mov Disord 22:1652-6. 2007..All patients had dopamine transporter abnormalities. We suggest that the term "Pseudo-Orthostatic Tremor" could be used to define this Dopa responsive, 6 to 7 Hz standing tremor...
- Morphological and metabolic changes in the nigro-striatal pathway of synthetic proteasome inhibitor (PSI)-treated rats: a MRI and MRS studyStefano Delli Pizzi
ITAB, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e56501. 2013..MR demonstrated to be a powerful mean to assess in-vivo the nigro-striatal pathway morphology and metabolism in the PSI-based PD animal model...
- Impaired sustained attention in euthymic bipolar disorder patients and non-affected relatives: an fMRI studyGianna Sepede
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, University of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
Bipolar Disord 14:764-79. 2012..The aim of the present study was to analyze the behavioral and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) response of euthymic BD-I patients and non-affected relatives during a sustained attention task...
- Agomelatine versus venlafaxine XR in the treatment of anhedonia in major depressive disorder: a pilot studyGiovanni Martinotti
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, G D Annunzio University of Chieti, Italy
J Clin Psychopharmacol 32:487-91. 2012..Anhedonia has been considered a potential trait marker related to vulnerability for depression. Therefore, the efficacy of AGO on this dimension holds particular importance in the treatment of patients with anhedonic features...
- Peripheral cytokines profile in Parkinson's diseaseM Reale
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio Chieti Pescara, Italy
Brain Behav Immun 23:55-63. 2009..The overall results strengthen and extend the knowledge of the peripheral dysregulation in the cytokine network associated with PD...
- Switch-over from tolcapone to entacapone in severe Parkinson's disease patientsM Onofrj
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Neurophysiopathology, University G D Annunzio, via Fonte Romano, I 65100 Pescara, Italy
Eur Neurol 46:11-6. 2001....
- Improvement of motor function in early Parkinson disease by safinamideF Stocchi
Department of Neuroscience and IRCCS Neuromed Pozzilli IS, Disorders Centre, Department of Neuroscience, Universita G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Pescara, Italy
Neurology 63:746-8. 2004..7-point motor score decrease; p > or = 0.05). These results suggest that doses of SAF exerting ion channel block and glutamate release inhibition add to its symptomatic effect and warrant exploration of higher doses...
- Cortical rhythms reactivity in AD, LBD and normal subjects: a quantitative MEG studyR Franciotti
Department of Clinical Sciences and Bioimaging, University of Chieti, Italy ITAB, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 27:1100-9. 2006..These results suggest that investigations on rhythms reactivity and spectral coherence might help on the study of the dementias with different etiology...
- Olanzapine in severe Gilles de la Tourette syndrome: a 52-week double-blind cross-over study vs. low-dose pimozideM Onofrj
Dipartimento di Oncologia e Neuroscienze, Universita G D Annunzio, Ospedale Civile, Italy
J Neurol 247:443-6. 2000..At the end of the study all patients opted for olanzapine treatment...
- Reversible parkinsonism induced by prolonged treatment with valproateM Onofrj
Dipartimento di Oncologia e Neuroscienze, Clinica Neurologica, Chieti, Italy
J Neurol 245:794-6. 1998..Parkinsonism disappeared in less than 3 months after VPA substitution with carbamazepine...
- Optic neuritis with residual tunnel vision in perchloroethylene toxicityM Onofrj
University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy or
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 36:603-7. 1998..Visual disturbances consisted of complete blindness for 9 days in the left eye, for 11 days in the right eye, with bright phosphenes and pain on eye rotation. Only central (2-3 degrees radius) vision recovered in the following months...
- Amantadine for dyskinesia in patients affected by severe Parkinson's diseaseC Paci
Neurophysiopathology Service, G. D'Annunzio University, Pescara, Italy
Neurol Sci 22:75-6. 2001..5). In the two patients with hyperthemia amantadine was reintroduced; after four days hyperthermia subsided and amantadine was finally tapered over 15 days without further adverse reactions...
- Event related potentials recorded in patients with locked-in syndromeM Onofrj
Department of Neurology, University of Chieti, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 63:759-64. 1997..To determine the possibility of recording "cognitive" event related potentials (ERPs) in locked-in patients and therefore to determine whether ERPs can have a role in differential diagnosis of coma...
- Acetyl-L-carnitine: from a biological curiosity to a drug for the peripheral nervous system and beyondMarco Onofrj
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, Aging Research Centre, Ce S I, G d Annunzio University Foundation G, d Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
Expert Rev Neurother 13:925-36. 2013....
- Differential patterns of cortical activation as a function of fluid reasoning complexityBernardo Perfetti
Department of Oncology and Neurosciences, University of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
Hum Brain Mapp 30:497-510. 2009..This study provides evidence for neural differences in facing reasoning complexity among subjects with different gf level that are mediated by specific patterns of activation of the underlying fronto-parietal network...
- Acute akinesia or akinetic crisis in Parkinson's diseaseA Thomas
Department of Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorder Center, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, University G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Italy
Neurol Sci 24:219-20. 2003..In all patients a definite refractoriness to therapy was shown with a transient lack of response to apomorphine...
- Amyloid-specific T-cells differentiate Alzheimer's disease from Lewy body dementiaPaola Lanuti
Cell Signalling Unit, Department of Medicine and Aging Sciences, University G d Annunzio of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 33:2599-611. 2012..The identification of such subsets, anyhow, may strongly contribute to distinguish Alzheimer's disease from dementia with Lewy bodies, opening possible new routes to early therapeutic strategies...
- Donepezil, rivastigmine, and vitamin E in Alzheimer disease: a combined P300 event-related potentials/neuropsychologic evaluation over 6 monthsA Thomas
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Institute of Neurophysiopathology, University G. D'Annunzio, Pescara, Italy
Clin Neuropharmacol 24:31-42. 2001..Combined P300 and neuropsychologic test evaluation significantly separated DPZ-treated patients and Riv-treated patients from vitamin E-treated patients...
- Persistent genital arousal disorder associated with functional hyperconnectivity of an epileptic focusF Anzellotti
Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Aging Research Centre, CeSI, G d Annunzio University Foundation, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
Neuroscience 167:88-96. 2010..Treatment completely abolished PGAD symptoms and functional hyperconnectivity. The functional hyperconnectivity found in the neuronal network including the epileptic focus could suggest a possible central mechanism for PGAD...
- Duration of amantadine benefit on dyskinesia of severe Parkinson's diseaseA Thomas
Neurophysiopathology, Movement Disorders Centre, Department of Oncology and Neuroscience, Universita G D Annunzio, Chieti Pescara, Pescara, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:141-3. 2004..A double-blind study programmed over 12 months was designed to assess the duration of the antidyskinetic effect of amantadine on levodopa induced dyskinesia...
- Focusing narrowly or broadly attention when judging categorical and coordinate spatial relations: a MEG studyRaffaella Franciotti
Department of Neuroscience and Imaging, G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy ITAB, G d Annunzio University Foundation, Chieti, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e83434. 2013....
- Low- and high-frequency evoked responses following pattern reversal stimuli: a MEG study supported by fMRI constraintB Perfetti
Department of Clinical Sciences and Bioimaging, University of Chieti, and ITAB, Fondazione Universita G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
Neuroimage 35:1152-67. 2007....
- Are there clinically significant differences between dopamine agonistsFabrizio Stocchi
Institute of Neurology IRCCS Neuromed Is, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Adv Neurol 91:259-66. 2003
- Long-term benefits of rivastigmine in dementia associated with Parkinson's disease: an active treatment extension studyWerner Poewe
Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Mov Disord 21:456-61. 2006..Long-term rivastigmine treatment appeared well tolerated and may provide sustained benefits in dementia associated with PD patients who remain on treatment for up to 48 weeks...
- A six-month double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of a transdermal patch in Alzheimer's disease--rivastigmine patch versus capsuleBengt Winblad
Karolinska Institutet Alzheimer Research Center, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 22:456-67. 2007..To compare the efficacy, safety and tolerability of a novel rivastigmine transdermal patch with conventional rivastigmine capsules and placebo in patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Akinetic crisis, acute akinesia, neuroleptic malignant-like syndrome, Parkinsonism-hyperpyrexia syndrome, and malignant syndrome are the same entity and are often independent of treatment withdrawalAstrid Thomas
Mov Disord 20:1671; author reply 1671-2. 2005
- Comprehensive analysis of the LRRK2 gene in sixty families with Parkinson's diseaseAlessio Di Fonzo
Department of Clinical Genetics, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Hum Genet 14:322-31. 2006..These data have implications both for understanding the molecular mechanisms of PD, and for directing the genetic screening in clinical practice...
- Two novel POLG1 mutations in a patient with progressive external ophthalmoplegia, levodopa-responsive pseudo-orthostatic tremor and parkinsonismFederica Invernizzi
Unit of Molecular Neurogenetics, Pierfranco e Luisa Mariani Center for the Study of Children s Mitochondrial Disorders, C Besta Neurological Institute Foundation IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Neuromuscul Disord 18:460-4. 2008..These observations support the hypothesis that mtDNA dysfunction is engaged in the pathogenesis of idiopathic Parkinson's disease...
- Dual dopamine agonist treatment in Parkinson's diseaseFabrizio Stocchi
Department of Neurological Sciences, IRCCS NEUROMED POZZILLI IS, Viale dell Universita 30, 00185, Rome, Italy
J Neurol 250:822-6. 2003..5+/-5.3 to 15.5+/-4.7). This open study shows that dual dopamine agonist therapy can be useful in the symptomatic treatment of patients with early or more advanced Parkinson's disease receiving therapy with or without levodopa...