Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Milan
- Dysregulation of L-arginine metabolism and bioavailability associated to free plasma hemeF Omodeo-Sale
Dipartimento di Scienze Molecolari Applicate ai Biosistemi DISMAB, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 299:C148-54. 2010..We conclude that L-Arg transport across RBC membrane is impaired and arginase-mediated L-Arg consumption enhanced by free heme. This could contribute to reduced NO production in severe malaria...
- Novel antimalarial aminoquinolines: heme binding and effects on normal or Plasmodium falciparum-parasitized human erythrocytesFausta Omodeo-Salè
Dipartimento di Scienze Molecolari Applicate ai Biosistemi DISMAB, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4339-44. 2009....
- Modulation of glyceraldehyde 3 phosphate dehydrogenase activity and tyr-phosphorylation of Band 3 in human erythrocytes treated with ferriprotoporphyrin IXFausta Omodeo-Salè
Institute of General Physiology and Biochemistry G Esposito, University of Milan, Via Trentacoste 2, 20134 Milan, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 74:1383-9. 2007....
- Regulation of human erythrocyte glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase by ferriprotoporphyrin IXFausta Omodeo Salè
Institute of General Physiology and Biochemistry G Esposito, Facolta di Farmacia, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
FEBS Lett 579:5095-9. 2005..Second, G3PD binding to the membrane is modified and the enzyme is activated through displacement into the cytosol and/or release from its binding site...
- Major artifacts encountered in studying biological samples containing ferric protoporphyrin IXFausta Omodeo Salè
Department of Pharmacy, Institute of General Physiology and Biochemistry G Esposito, University of Milan, Milan 20134, Italy
Anal Biochem 339:257-61. 2005..Third, in the presence of thiol compounds such as N-acetyl cysteine, FP is degraded to products that interfere with the thiobarbituric acid assay, one of the most widely used methods to measure the extent of lipoperoxidation...
- Destabilisation and subsequent lysis of human erythrocytes induced by Plasmodium falciparum haem productsFausta Omodeo-Salè
Institute of General Physiology and Biochemistry G Esposito, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Eur J Haematol 74:324-32. 2005..These changes could contribute to the reduced red cell deformability associated with severe malaria...
- Accelerated senescence of human erythrocytes cultured with Plasmodium falciparumFausta Omodeo-Salè
Istituto di Fisiologia Generale e Chimica Biologica Giovanni Esposito, Facolta di Farmacia, Via Trentacoste 2, 20134 Milano, Italy
Blood 102:705-11. 2003..In summary, we demonstrated that membrane damage leading to accelerated senescence of both infected and uninfected erythrocytes will likely contribute to malaria anemia...
- The lipid moiety of haemozoin (Malaria Pigment) and P. falciparum parasitised red blood cells bind synthetic and native endothelin-1Nicoletta Basilico
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Microbiologia Virologia, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Pascal 36, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:854927. 2010..The results indicate that ET-1 binds to the lipids moiety of HZ and membranes of infected RBCs. These findings may help understanding the consequences of parasite sequestration in severe malaria...
- Two complementary fluorimetric assays for the determination of aminoquinoline binding and uptake by human erythrocytes in vitroNicoletta Basilico
Institute of General Physiology and Biochemistry G Esposito, Department of Public Health Microbiology Virology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Anal Biochem 385:371-3. 2009..Drug uptake is dose dependent and related to the number of erythrocytes. These assays could be useful when studying the cell interaction of quinoline-type compounds not available in the radioactive form...
- Hypoxia modulates the effect of dihydroartemisinin on endothelial cellsS D'Alessandro
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Microbiologia Virologia, Universita di Milano, Via Pascal 36, Milan, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 82:476-84. 2011..This should be considered when studying both the effects of artemisinin derivatives as antimalarials and the potential therapeutic applications of these drugs as anti-tumor agents...
- Ultrastructural characteristics, biological activity and pharmacological relevance of synthetic malaria pigment (beta-haematin)D Taramelli
Istituto di Microbiologia, Universita di Milano, Via Pascal 36, 20133 Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 43:45-9. 2001..This was confirmed by the observation that thiol-reducing agents (NAC, cystein) were able to inhibit BH formation and were toxic to parasites in vitro...
- Macrophage populations of different origins have distinct susceptibilities to lipid peroxidation induced by beta-haematin (malaria pigment)F Omodeo-Sale
Istituto di Fisiologia Generale e Chimica Biologica, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
FEBS Lett 433:215-8. 1998..These findings offer a new interpretation for the contentious immunomodulatory effects of beta-haematin reported for phagocytes of different origins...
- Chronic deficiency of nitric oxide affects hypoxia inducible factor-1α (HIF-1α) stability and migration in human endothelial cellsMaria Grazia Cattaneo
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e29680. 2011..Here, the behavioural and molecular consequences deriving from NO deficiency in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) were investigated...
- Old and new targets for innovative antimalarial compounds: the different strategies of the Italian Malaria NetworkN Basilico
Dipartimento Salute Pubblica Microbiologia Virologia, Universita di Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 50:133-6. 2008....