Affiliation: University of Rome La Sapienza
- Bordetella pertussis in infants hospitalized for acute respiratory symptoms remains a concernAmbra Nicolai
Department of Paediatrics, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 13:526. 2013..Preliminary results suggest that pertussis infection might be considered in infants during a seasonal respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) outbreak...
- Rhinovirus bronchiolitis and recurrent wheezing: 1-year follow-upF Midulla
Dept of Paediatrics, Sapienza University Rome, Viale Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur Respir J 39:396-402. 2012..In conclusion, the virus most likely to be associated with recurrent wheezing at 12 months after initial bronchiolitis is RV, a viral agent that could predict infants prone to the development of recurrent wheezing...
- Respiratory syncytial virus, human bocavirus and rhinovirus bronchiolitis in infantsF Midulla
Department of Pediatrics, Sapienza University of Rome, Viale Regina Elena 324, 00165 Rome, Italy
Arch Dis Child 95:35-41. 2010..To investigate the prevalence of 14 viruses in infants with bronchiolitis and to study demographic and clinical differences in those with respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), human bocavirus (hBoV) and rhinovirus (RV) infection...
- Cellular and noncellular components of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in HIV-1-infected children with radiological evidence of interstitial lung damageF Midulla
Department of Pediatrics II, Institute of Pediatrics, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Pediatr Pulmonol 31:205-13. 2001....
- Cytokines in the nasal washes of children with respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitisF Midulla
Department of Pediatric Emergency, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale Regine Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 19:231-5. 2006..IFN activity was not detected in any samples from RS virus-infected children. RS virus infection stimulates IL-10 expression but not IL-12 and IFN, possibly contributing to an ineffective cell-mediated immune response...
- Foreign body aspiration in childrenFabio Midulla
Department of Pediatric Emergency, University La Sapienza of Rome, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Int 47:663-8. 2005..The aim was to investigate the role of physical and radiological findings before bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of foreign body aspiration (FBA)...
- Microaspiration in infants with laryngomalaciaFabio Midulla
Servizio Speciale Fibrosi Cistica, Istituto di Clinica Pediatrica, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Italy
Laryngoscope 114:1592-6. 2004..In this study, we evaluated whether infants with laryngomalacia have episodes of microaspiration by calculating the amount of lipids present in the alveolar macrophages...
- Flexible endoscopy of paediatric airwaysF Midulla
Istituto di Clinica Pediatrica, Servizio Speciale Fibrosi Cistica, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Eur Respir J 22:698-708. 2003..Advances in instrumentation, and also improved anaesthetic techniques, allow fibreoptic bronchoscopy to be safely performed in even very small, sick infants, provided proper precautions are taken...
- Virological and clinical characterization of respiratory infections in children attending an emergency department during the first autumn-winter circulation of pandemic A (H1N1) 2009 influenza virusA Pierangeli
Virology Laboratory, Department of Molecular Medicine Department of Paediatrics, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:366-73. 2012..Given the fact that clinical and epidemiological criteria are not sufficient to identify viral respiratory infections, a timely virological diagnosis could allow different infections to be managed separately...
- Non-acid gastro-oesophageal reflux in children with suspected pulmonary aspirationO Borrelli
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 42:115-21. 2010....
- Outcomes after tongue-lip adhesion or mandibular distraction osteogenesis in infants with Pierre Robin sequence and severe airway obstructionP Papoff
Pediatric Emergency and Intensive Care, Sapienza University of Rome, Umberto I Policlinico, Rome, Italy Electronic address
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:1418-23. 2013..Although MDO lengthens the time to discharge, this option stabilizes airway patency of infants with PRS more efficiently and achieves full oral feeding more rapidly than TLA. ..
- Spondylodiscitis after bilateral sequential lung transplantation in a patient with cystic fibrosisS Quattrucci
Cystic Fibrosis Center, Department of Pediatrics, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale Regina Elena 324, 00161 Rome, Italy
Transpl Infect Dis 6:41-5. 2004..To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of spondylodiscitis after lung transplantation...
- 3-min step test and treadmill exercise for evaluating exercise-induced asthmaG Tancredi
Paediatric Department, Cystic Fibrosis Centre, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale Regina Elena, 324 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur Respir J 23:569-74. 2004..Baseline lung function and habitual physical activity have no influence on the amount or duration of exercise-induced asthma...
- Surfactant therapy for acute respiratory distress in childrenC Moretti
Department of Paediatrics, Paediatric Emergency and Intensive Care, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Acta Biomed 84:18-21. 2013..This article examines the pathophysiology of acute lung injury and surfactant use for treatment of acute respiratory failure in infants and children...
- Sevoflurane inhalation for severe bronchial obstruction in infants with bronchiolitisP Papoff
Pediatric Emergency and Intensive Care, Department of Pediatrics, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 25:493-7. 2012..We suggest that sevoflurane inhalation may be a therapeutic option in the treatment of young infants with severe bronchiolitis who respond poorly to conventional therapy...
- An infant with diaphragmatic eventration and respiratory distressA M Zicari
Department of Pediatrics, Sapienza University of Rome, Roma, Italy
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 24:481-4. 2010..Our experience suggests that in infants with congenital diaphragmatic eventration who present with respiratory distress gastro-oesophageal reflux should be suspected, and PPI therapy should be started before planning surgery...
- Detection and typing by molecular techniques of respiratory viruses in children hospitalized for acute respiratory infection in Rome, ItalyAlessandra Pierangeli
Department of Experimental Medicine, Virology Section, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Med Virol 79:463-8. 2007..In conclusion, the use of a comprehensive number of PCR-based tests is recommended to define the burden of viral pathogens in patients with respiratory tract infection...
- Upregulation of interferon-induced genes in infants with virus-associated acute bronchiolitisCarolina Scagnolari
Department of Experimental Medicine, Virology Section, Sapienza University of Rome, 00185 Rome, Italy
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 232:1355-9. 2007..This suggests that the IFN response plays an important role in determining virus-associated respiratory disease in early life...
- Bronchial adenoma: an unusual cause of recurrent pneumonia in childhoodFrancesco Morini
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 76:2085-7. 2003..Bronchial adenomas should not be removed endoscopically; patients must undergo open thoracotomy for surgical excision...