Affiliation: University of Turin
- Effects of recruiting maneuvers in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome ventilated with protective ventilatory strategySalvatore Grasso
Servizio di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Ospedale Di Venere, Bari, Italy
Anesthesiology 96:795-802. 2002..This study examined the hypothesis that the effectiveness of a recruiting maneuver to improve oxygenation in patients with ARDS would be influenced by the elastic properties of the lung and chest wall...
- Donation after cardiac death: is a "paradigm shift" feasible in Italy?V Fanelli
Dipartimento di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universita di Torino, A O Città della Salute e della Scienza Ospedale S Giovanni Battista Molinette, Torino, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 79:534-40. 2013..National reference protocols regulating DCD practice are therefore a compelling issue...
- Brain-lung crosstalk in critical care: how protective mechanical ventilation can affect the brain homeostasisA T Mazzeo
Department of Anestesia and Intensive Care, University of Turin, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 79:299-309. 2013....
- Pro/con clinical debate: tracheostomy is ideal for withdrawal of mechanical ventilation in severe neurological impairmentLuciana Mascia
Crit Care 8:327-30. 2004..In this issue of Critical Care two groups debate the merits of tracheostomy before extubation in a patient with neurological impairment. What becomes very clear is the need for more high quality data for this common clinical problem...
- High tidal volume is associated with the development of acute lung injury after severe brain injury: an international observational studyLuciana Mascia
Dipartimento di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universitàdi Torino, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Torino, Italy
Crit Care Med 35:1815-20. 2007..We investigated the role of extracranial predisposing factors, including hemodynamic and ventilatory management, as independent predictors of acute lung injury in brain-injured patients...
- Management to optimize organ procurement in brain dead donorsL Mascia
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, S Giovanni Battista Molinette Hospital, University of Turin, Corso Dogliotti 14, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 75:125-33. 2009..Current guidelines suggest that the priority of critical care management for potential organ donors should be shifted from a ''cerebral protective'' strategy to a multimodal strategy aimed to preserve peripheral organ function...
- Acute lung injury in patients with severe brain injury: a double hit modelLuciana Mascia
Dipartimento di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universita di Torino, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126 Torino, Italy
Neurocrit Care 11:417-26. 2009..PEEP may, however, affect the cerebral circulation by hemodynamic and CO2-mediated mechanisms and the effects of PEEP on cerebral hemodynamics should be monitored in these patients and used to titrate its application...
- Cerebro-pulmonary interactions during the application of low levels of positive end-expiratory pressureLuciana Mascia
Universita di Torino, Dipartimento di Discipline Medico Chirurgiche, Sezione di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Italy
Intensive Care Med 31:373-9. 2005..We hypothesised that the occurrence of alveolar hyperinflation during the application of PEEP would lead to an increase in PaCO(2) responsible for a rise in intracranial pressure...
- The accuracy of transcranial Doppler to detect vasospasm in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhageL Mascia
Dipartimento di Discipline Medico Chirurgiche, Sezione di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Universita di Torino, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126, Torino, Italy
Intensive Care Med 29:1088-94. 2003..To examine the accuracy of transcranial Doppler to detect cerebral vasospasm in a patient population with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage...
- Extracranial complications in patients with acute brain injury: a post-hoc analysis of the SOAP studyLuciana Mascia
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Turin, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126, Turin, Italy
Intensive Care Med 34:720-7. 2008..To assess the incidence and severity of nonneurological organ dysfunction and its effect on outcome in acute neurological patients in an international cohort observational study...
- High tidal volume as a predictor of acute lung injury in neurotrauma patientsL Mascia
Anesthesiology and Resuscitation Department, S Giovanni Battista Hospital, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 74:325-7. 2008
- Tidal volume lower than 6 ml/kg enhances lung protection: role of extracorporeal carbon dioxide removalPier Paolo Terragni
Dipartimento di Anestesiologia e Medicina degli Stati Critici, Universita di Torino, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista Molinette, Corso Dogliotti 14, Turin, Italy
Anesthesiology 111:826-35. 2009..The authors verified whether VT lower than 6 ml/kg may enhance lung protection and that consequent respiratory acidosis may be managed by extracorporeal carbon dioxide removal...
- Sleep disturbances in the critically ill patients: role of delirium and sedative agentsA C Trompeo
Department on Anesthesiology and Resuscitation, University of Turin, S Giovanni Battista Molinette Hospital, Corso Dogliotti 14, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 77:604-12. 2011..We assessed the characteristics of sleep disruption in a cohort of surgical critically ill patients examining the hypothesis that severe impairments of rapid eyes movement (REM) sleep are associated to delirium...
- The effects of inhaled nitric oxide after lung transplantationD Pasero
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, University of Turin, S Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 76:353-61. 2010..The administration of iNO during these lung transplant procedures could decrease right ventricular dysfunction by reducing PVR and help to avoid the use of cardiopulmonary bypass...
- Tidal hyperinflation during low tidal volume ventilation in acute respiratory distress syndromePier Paolo Terragni
Universita di Torino, Dipartimento di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista Molinette, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126 Turin, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:160-6. 2007..Computed tomography demonstrated a small, normally aerated compartment on the top of poorly aerated and nonaerated compartments that may be hyperinflated by tidal inflation...
- Patient-ventilator interaction and sleep in mechanically ventilated patients: pressure support versus proportional assist ventilationKaren Bosma
Dipartimento di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universita di Torino, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista Molinette, Torino, Italy
Crit Care Med 35:1048-54. 2007..To understand the role of patient-ventilator asynchrony in the etiology of sleep disruption and determine whether optimizing patient-ventilator interactions by using proportional assist ventilation improves sleep...
- Effect of a lung protective strategy for organ donors on eligibility and availability of lungs for transplantation: a randomized controlled trialLuciana Mascia
Department of Anesthesia, University of Turin, San Giovanni Battista Molinette Hospital, Corso Dogliotti 14, Turin 10126, Italy
JAMA 304:2620-7. 2010..Many potential donor lungs deteriorate between the time of brain death and evaluation for transplantation suitability, possibly because of the ventilatory strategy used after brain death...
- Early vs late tracheotomy for prevention of pneumonia in mechanically ventilated adult ICU patients: a randomized controlled trialPier Paolo Terragni
Anestesia e Rianimazione 1, Ospedale S Giovanni Battista, Universita di Torino, Turin, Italy
JAMA 303:1483-9. 2010..This is of clinical importance because timing is a key criterion for performing a tracheotomy and patients who receive one require a large amount of health care resources...
- Ventilatory setting in severe brain injured patients: does it really matter?Luciana Mascia
Intensive Care Med 32:1925-7. 2006
- Airway pressure-time curve profile (stress index) detects tidal recruitment/hyperinflation in experimental acute lung injurySalvatore Grasso
Servizio di Anestesia e Rianimazione, Ospedale Di Venere, Bari, Italy
Crit Care Med 32:1018-27. 2004..To evaluate whether the shape of the airway pressure-time (Paw-t) curve during constant flow inflation corresponds to radiologic evidence of tidal recruitment or tidal hyperinflation in an experimental model of acute lung injury...