Affiliation: University of Cagliari
- Levetiracetam attenuates spontaneous spike-and-wave discharges in DBA/2J miceFrancesco Marrosu
Department of Neurological and Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Cagliari, Policlinico Universitario, S S 554 km 4 500, 09042 Monserrato CA, Italy
Epilepsy Res 75:224-7. 2007..p.), two classic antiabsence agents, LEV (50-200 mg/kg, i.p.) reduced the occurrence of spike-and-wave discharges, AE's typical electroencephalographic patterns. Our results confirm LEV's efficacy in AE treatment...
- Correlation between GABA(A) receptor density and vagus nerve stimulation in individuals with drug-resistant partial epilepsyFrancesco Marrosu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, Policlinico Universitario, Universita di Cagliari, SS 554 Bivio Sestu, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
Epilepsy Res 55:59-70. 2003..These results suggest that VNS may modulate the cortical excitability of brain areas associated with epileptogenesis and that GABA(A) receptor plasticity contributes to this effect...
- Combined EEG/fMRI recording in musicogenic epilepsyFrancesco Marrosu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Epilepsy Res 84:77-81. 2009..Furthermore, rCBF modifications in other regions suggest that additional aspects of musical processing are also elicited during musicogenic seizures...
- Increase in 20-50 Hz (gamma frequencies) power spectrum and synchronization after chronic vagal nerve stimulationF Marrosu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, Policlinico Universitario, Universita di Cagliari, SS 554, Bivio Sestu, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 116:2026-36. 2005..The objective of the present study is to investigate how VNS affects local and inter regional syncronization in different frequencies in pharmaco-resistant partial epilepsy...
- Beta and gamma range EEG power-spectrum correlation with spiking discharges in DBA/2J mice absence model: role of GABA receptorsFrancesco Marrosu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, Universita di Cagliari, Monserrato, Italy
Epilepsia 47:489-94. 2006..To describe the correlations between spiking pattern and EEG power spectrum frequency in DBA/2J mice, a model for murine absence seizures, after gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)(B) modulation...
- Vagal nerve stimulation improves cerebellar tremor and dysphagia in multiple sclerosisF Marrosu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, University of Cagliari, Italy
Mult Scler 13:1200-2. 2007..The results obtained suggest an additional therapeutic application for VNS and may represent a novel form of treatment in patients with severe MS...
- Correlation between cerebral perfusion and hyperventilation enhanced focal spiking activityF Marrosu
Institute of Neurology and Department of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cagliari, Via Ospedale, 54 09100, Cagliari, Italy
Epilepsy Res 40:79-86. 2000..This study suggests a correlation between localized increase in rCBP and HPV-induced IELDs and provides a tool to discuss uncommon aspects of the physiology of rCBP during the inter-ictal state in the epileptogenic areas...
- Defective cerebral gamma-aminobutyric acid-A receptor density in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and central nervous system involvement. An observational studyA Mathieu
Chair and AOU Unit of Rheumatology, University of Cagliari, Italy
Lupus 19:918-26. 2010..This study may support the concept that cognitive impairment in systemic lupus erythematosus could be the outcome of fine-tuned neurotransmission alterations...
- Activation of GABA(B) receptors reverses spontaneous gating deficits in juvenile DBA/2J miceMarco Bortolato
Department of Neuroscience Bernard B Brodie, University of Cagliari, Cittadella Universitaria, S S 554 Km 4, 500, 09042, Monserrato CA, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 194:361-9. 2007..We previously reported that baclofen, the prototypical GABA(B) agonist, elicits antipsychotic-like effects in the rat paradigm of prepulse inhibition (PPI) of the startle, a highly validated animal model of schizophrenia...
- Vagal nerve stimulation effects on cerebellar tremor in multiple sclerosisF Marrosu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, University of Cagliari, Italy
Neurology 65:490. 2005
- Cardiovascular modulation during vagus nerve stimulation therapy in patients with refractory epilepsyChristian Cadeddu
Dept of Cardiovascular and Neurological Sciences, University of Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
Epilepsy Res 92:145-52. 2010....
- Brain MRI and SPECT in the diagnosis of early neurological involvement in Wilson's diseaseMario Piga
Nuclear Medicine, Department of Medical Science, Policlinico Universitario, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 35:716-24. 2008..To evaluate the impact of brain MRI and single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) in early detection of central nervous system abnormalities in patients affected by Wilson's disease (WD) with or without neurological involvement...
- Vagus nerve stimulation increases norepinephrine concentration and the gene expression of BDNF and bFGF in the rat brainPaolo Follesa
Department of Experimental Biology, Section of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Brain Res 1179:28-34. 2007..These new findings contribute to the elucidation of the molecular mechanisms underlying the therapeutic actions of vagus nerve stimulation in both treatment-resistant depression and epilepsy...
- A genetic study of the FMR1 gene in a Sardinian multiple sclerosis populationL Lorefice
Department of Public Health and Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Multiple Sclerosis Center, University of Cagliari, Ospedale Binaghi, Via Is Guadazzonis, 2, 09126, Cagliari, Italy
Neurol Sci 36:2213-20. 2015..Our results do not support a possible role for premutation or gray zone alleles in MS Sardinian patients. Further studies are needed to better understand the relationship between FXTAS and MS...
- Behavioral, neuropsychiatric and cognitive disorders in Parkinson's disease patients with and without motor complicationsP Solla
Movement Disorders Center, Institute of Neurology, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35:1009-13. 2011..The factors affecting MC and these non-motor symptoms are still largely unknown and their interactions are not yet fully evaluated...
- Age distribution of MEG spontaneous theta activity in healthy subjectsMonica Puligheddu
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e Cardiovascolari, Universita di Cagliari, Monserrato Cagliari, Italy
Brain Topogr 17:165-75. 2005..Whether the prevalent posterior distribution of theta is the expression of distinct networks or the outcome of complex dynamics are questions of possible relevance in the organization of higher order processes...
- Reduced serum level of THDOC, an anticonvulsant steroid, in women with perimenstrual catamenial epilepsyAntonella Tuveri
Department of Cardiovascular and Neurological Sciences, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Epilepsia 49:1221-9. 2008..Following these studies it seems of interest to investigate possible variations, among other hormonal parameters, of THDOC and DHEAS in CE patients...
- Involvement of GABA in mirror focus: a case reportMarco Bortolato
Department of Neurological and Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Cagliari, Monserrato CA, Italy
Epilepsy Res 90:300-3. 2010..These results extend previous evidence on the involvement of GABAergic signaling in MF pathophysiology...
- Chronic vagus nerve stimulation induces neuronal plasticity in the rat hippocampusFrancesca Biggio
Department of Experimental Biology, Centre of Excellence for the Neurobiology of Dependence, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:1209-21. 2009..However, these changes were not associated with evident behavioural alterations characteristic of an antidepressant or anxiolytic action...
- Comparison of MRI, EEG, EPs and ECD-SPECT in Wilson's diseaseM Giagheddu
Clinica Neurologica, Policlinico Universitario, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy
Acta Neurol Scand 103:71-81. 2001..CONCLUSION: We highlight the use of this interesting procedure in the therapeutic monitoring of this disease...
- Antipsychotic-like properties of 5-alpha-reductase inhibitorsMarco Bortolato
Department of Neuroscience Bernard B Brodie, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:3146-56. 2008..p.) induced no catalepsy in either the bar test or the paw test. Our results suggest that 5AR inhibitors elicit antipsychotic-like effects in animals and may be proposed as a putative novel target in the management of psychotic disorders...
- Sleep deprivation disrupts prepulse inhibition of the startle reflex: reversal by antipsychotic drugsRoberto Frau
Department of Neuroscience Bernard B Brodie, University of Cagliari, Italy
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 11:947-55. 2008..Our data suggest that SD induces gating deficits that might be relevant to the hallucinatory phenomena observed in humans, and provide a novel reliable animal model where such relationship can be studied...
- Epilepsia partialis continua in cat scratch diseaseMonica Puligheddu
Department of Cardiovascular and Neurological Sciences, University of Cagliari, SS 554, Bivio Sestu, 09042 Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Seizure 13:191-5. 2004..Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and back-averaged EEG data recorded during myoclonic activity document this CSD complication...