Affiliation: University of Milan
- Preventing and managing herpes zoster: key actions to foster healthy agingStefania Maggi
CNR Neuroscience Institute Aging Branch, Board of the Italian Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128, Padua, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 27:5-11. 2015..Including HZ vaccination in its citizens' lifetime immunization calendar can reinforce Europe's commitment toward active, healthy aging. This paper outlines the consensus statement of a group of Italian experts on HZ. ..
- Sarcopenia and fragility fracturesT Cederholm
Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 49:111-7. 2013..Resistance training several times per week is crucial, and to be effective adequate access to energy and proteins is necessary...
- The burden of previous fractures in hip fracture patients. The Break StudyStefania Maggi
CNR, Institute of Neuroscience, Section on Aging, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 23:183-6. 2011....
- Vaccination and healthy agingStefania Maggi
CNR Aging Section Institute of Neuroscience, Padova, Italy
Expert Rev Vaccines 9:3-6. 2010..Vaccination of the adult population needs to be a key component of a healthy aging strategy, since there is already convincing evidence that this approach can have an important impact on morbidity, mortality and quality of life...
- Osteoporosis risk in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the EOLO studyS Maggi
CNR Aging Branch, Institute of Neuroscience, Padua, Italy
J Clin Densitom 12:345-52. 2009..In COPD patients the risk of osteoporosis is high, in particular at severe stages of the disease, but seems to be due to traditional risk factors, such as older age, female gender, low BMI, history of smoking and fractures, GC treatment...
- A multicenter survey on profile of care for hip fracture: predictors of mortality and disabilityS Maggi
Leonardo Foundation Abano Terme, Section on Aging, Padova, Institute of Neuroscience, CNR, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Osteoporos Int 21:223-31. 2010....
- Validity of the ATP III diagnostic criteria for the metabolic syndrome in an elderly Italian Caucasian population: the Italian Longitudinal Study on AgingStefania Maggi
National Research Council, Aging Branch, Institute of Neuroscience, Padova, Italy
Atherosclerosis 197:877-82. 2008..Small adjustments in the cut off levels could be suggested for glycaemia (men) and in blood pressure (men and women)...
- Quantitative ultrasound calcaneous measurements: normative data for the Italian population. the ESOPO studyS Maggi
CNR Aging Branch, IN, University of Padua, Italy
J Clin Densitom 10:340-6. 2007..0% in BUA, 0.8% in SOS, and 9.1% in SI from 60 to 79 yr were detected for females, whereas no significant changes with age in males were observed. Our data show lower QUS values for women, and a decline at a greater rate than in men...
- Is there a role for real life observational studies in integrating knowledge provided by randomized clinical trials?S Maggi
CNR Aging Unit, Institute of Neuroscience, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 18:274-6. 2006
- Alcohol consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in older lifelong wine drinkers: the Italian Longitudinal Study on AgingE Perissinotto
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20:647-55. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the association between different levels of current alcohol consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in a representative sample of elderly Italian men, mainly wine drinkers...
- The metabolic syndrome, incidence of diabetes and mortality among the elderly: the Italian Longitudinal Study of AgeingM Noale
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, Padua, Italy
Diabetes Metab 38:135-41. 2012..To investigate whether or not the metabolic syndrome (MetS) can predict the incidence of diabetes and all-cause mortality among elderly subjects...
- Alcohol consumption and metabolic syndrome in the elderly: results from the Italian longitudinal study on agingA Buja
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:297-307. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess the association between alcohol consumption and the prevalence and incidence of MS, as well as its components in a large sample of Italian elderly people...
- Diabetes as a risk factor for cognitive decline in older patientsS Maggi
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Aging Section, Padua, Italy
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 27:24-33. 2009..To assess the role of type 2 diabetes as a risk factor for cognitive decline among elderly people...
- Physical disability among older Italians with diabetes. The ILSA studyS Maggi
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Center on Aging, c o Clinica Medica 1 o, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Diabetologia 47:1957-62. 2004..We studied the role of diabetic complications and comorbidity in the association between diabetes and disability in the elderly...
- High plasma insulin and lipids profile in older individuals: the Italian longitudinal study on agingS Maggi
National Research Council Center on Aging, University of Padua, Italy
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:M236-42. 2001..This study investigates the relationships of fasting plasma insulin and selected metabolic and biological risk factors in an aged population...
- Prevalence rate of urinary incontinence in community-dwelling elderly individuals: the Veneto studyS Maggi
Center on Aging, National Research Council, Padova, Italy
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:M14-8. 2001..The objectives of the present work were to estimate the prevalence of UI in a community-based population of elderly Italians and to determine the associated physical, social, and psychological factors...
- Quantitative heel ultrasound in a population-based study in Italy and its relationship with fracture history: the ESOPO studyS Maggi
CNR Aging Branch, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Osteoporos Int 17:237-44. 2006..These results confirm the suitability of US measurements as a tool for detecting individuals at risk of fractures...
- Atherosclerotic risk factors and renal function in the elderly: the role of hyperfibrinogenaemia and smoking. Results from the Italian Longitudinal Study on Ageing (ILSA)B Baggio
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Division of Nephrology, University of Padua, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:114-23. 2005....
- Lipid risk factors among elderly with normal fasting glucose, impaired fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes mellitus. The Italian longitudinal study on agingM Noale
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Padova, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 23:220-6. 2013..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the relationship among plasma lipids, lipoproteins, other metabolic factors in the three groups, and their role in predicting total fatal events...
- Dementia and disability: impact on mortality. The Italian Longitudinal Study on AgingM Noale
CNR Center on Aging of the Italian National Research Council, Clinica Medica 1o, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, I 35128 Padua, Italy
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 16:7-14. 2003..68, CI = 0.43-1.08) and dementia (HR 2.07, CI = 1.62-2.66). These data provide evidence that dementia per se, independently from physical disability, is a strong predictor of death in the elderly...
- Osteoporosis and body compositionG Crepaldi
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Aging Section, University of Padua, 35128 Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 30:42-7. 2007..The overall effect of leptin on bone results from a balance between negative central effects and positive direct peripheral effects, according to serum leptin levels...
- The METABOLIC Study: multidimensional assessment of health and functional status in older patients with type 2 diabetes taking oral antidiabetic treatmentS Maggi
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Aging Branch, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Diabetes Metab 39:236-43. 2013..The objective of the METABOLIC Study was to evaluate overall health status, with particular focus on assessment of functional status of older patients taking oral antidiabetic drug (OAD) treatment...
- Osteoporosis among Italian women at risk: the OSTEOLAB studyM Noale
Institute of Neuroscience, Aging Branch, Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
J Nutr Health Aging 16:529-33. 2012..The aim of the present study was to identify women at high risk of having osteoporosis according to the clinical judgment of their General Practitioners, but without a previous diagnosis of osteoporosis...
- Prevalence of diabetes and depressive symptomatology and their effect on mortality risk in elderly Italians: The Italian Longitudinal Study on AgingF Limongi
National Research Council CNR, Neuroscience Institute Aging Branch, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy Electronic address
Diabetes Metab 40:373-8. 2014....
- Sarcopenia and osteoporosis: A hazardous duetG Crepaldi
University of Padua, CNR Center on Aging, Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 28:66-8. 2005..Mechanisms being studied include physical inactivity, oxidative stress, chronic inflammation and general changes in body composition...
- Epidemiologic link between osteoporosis and cardiovascular diseaseG Crepaldi
CNR Aging Section, Institute of Neuroscience, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 32:2-5. 2009..Dyslipidemia, oxidative stress, inflammation, hyperhomocystinemia are associated to bone remodeling impairment and to the atherosclerotic process and might explain, in part, the co-existence of osteoporosis and CVD...
- Vitamin K, bone fractures, and vascular calcifications in chronic kidney disease: an important but poorly studied relationshipM Fusaro
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Clinica Medica 1, University of Padua, Policlinico IV piano, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 34:317-23. 2011..This analysis could be of help in planning investigations of Vitamin K status and its possible supplementation in CKD patients to avert fragility fractures and VC...
- Association of quantitative heel ultrasound with history of osteoporotic fractures in elderly men: the ESOPO studyM Varenna
Dipartimento di Reumatologia, Istituto Ortopedico Gaetano Pini, University of Milan, Via G Pini 9, 20122, Milan, Italy
Osteoporos Int 16:1749-54. 2005..The strength of the association between QUS measurement and fracture is similar to that observed in elderly women...
- Vascular risk factors, incidence of MCI, and rates of progression to dementiaV Solfrizzi
Department of Geriatrics, Center for Aging Brain, Memory Unit, University of Bari Policlinico, Piazza Giulio Cesare, 11 70124 Bari, Italy
Neurology 63:1882-91. 2004..To estimate prevalence, incidence, and rate of progression of mild cognitive impairment (MCI) to dementia and correlated vascular risk factors with incident MCI and its progression to dementia...
- Effect of age, weight and lifestyle factors on calcaneal quantitative ultrasound in premenopausal women: the ESOPO studyS Adami
Riabilitazione Reumatologica, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Calcif Tissue Int 74:317-21. 2004..These findings should help to identify premenopausal women at risk and to design an early strategy for osteoporosis prevention based on eliminating modifiable risks...
- Reversible bronchial obstruction and disease-related health status in COPDR A Incalzi
Istituto di Medicina Interna e Geriatria, Universita Cattolica, Roma, Italy
Qual Life Res 11:517-25. 2002..Research is needed to verify whether the unfavorable health status profile typical of a subset of COPD patients is associated with a distinctive prognosis and can be improved by dedicated therapeutic interventions...
- Evaluation of health outcomes in elderly patients with asthma and COPD using disease-specific and generic instruments: the Salute Respiratoria nell'Anziano (Sa.R.A.) StudyR A Incalzi
Istituto di Medicina Interna e Geriatria, Catholic University of Rome, Italy
Chest 120:734-42. 2001..COPD outweighs asthma as a cause of distressing respiratory symptoms. A high degree of concordance exists between SGRQ and generic health outcomes, except for the Symptoms dimension in COPD patients...
- Depressive symptoms, vascular risk factors and mild cognitive impairment. The Italian longitudinal study on agingFrancesco Panza
Department of Geriatrics, Center for Aging Brain, Memory Unit, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 25:336-46. 2008..We evaluated the impact of depressive symptoms on the rate of incident mild cognitive impairment (MCI) after a 3.5-year follow-up, and we assessed the interaction between depressive symptoms and vascular risk factors for incident MCI...
- [PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication Systems). General principles and guidelines for its use]L Baffoni
Radiol Med 107:1-72. 2004
- Hearing in the elderly: a population studyA Martini
Servizio di Audiologia, , Italy
Audiology 40:285-93. 2001....