Affiliation: University of Florence
- The strange destiny of Caterina de' Medici and a case of puerperal fever in the sixteenth centuryDonatella Lippi
Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Department of Anatomy, Histology and Legal Medicine, History of Medicine, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, Florence 50134, Italy
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:650-1. 2011..The description of the case provides interesting points of contact with modern medicine...
- Bodies of stone: Girolamo Segato (1792-1836)Giovanni E Orlandini
Department of Anatomy, Histology, Forensic Medicine, Unit of Image Diagnostic, University of Florence
Ital J Anat Embryol 112:13-8. 2007..This sample, submitted to conventional Rx analysis and CT Scan Tomography, displays an outstanding injection of the thinnest peripheral blood vessels...
- Chocolate in history: food, medicine, medi-foodDonatella Lippi
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Section of Health Services, Largo Brambilla 3, 50134 Florence, Italy
Nutrients 5:1573-84. 2013..Building a bridge to the past may be helpful to detect the areas where the potential health benefits of chocolate are likely to be further explored...
- Chocolate and medicine: dangerous liaisons?Donatella Lippi
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Legal Medicine, University of Florence, Italy
Nutrition 25:1100-3. 2009..Chocolate is no longer deemed a guilty pleasure, and it may have positive health benefits when eaten in moderation as part of a balanced diet...
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the patella in a XVII century player of the Florentine historic kickballDonatella Lippi
History of Medicine, Department of Anatomy, Histology and Legal Medicine, University of Florence, Italy
Knee 17:172-3. 2010..He was known to play Florentine kick ball, a precursor of Rugby and American football, and speculate that trauma from this activity may have led to the lesion...
- Scenes from the past: the Medici Project: radiographic surveyNatale Villari
Radiodiagnostic Section, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Radiographics 29:2101-14. 2009....
- [The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, angiotensin I converting enzyme, and the ACE-inhibitors. Historical perspective and recent findings]Gian Franco Gensini
Clinica Medica Generale e Cardiologia, Firenze
Recenti Prog Med 93:544-53. 2002....
- [Evolution of the epidemiologic context of cardiovascular diseases: a critical historical approach]Gian Franco Gensini
Fondazione Don Carlo Gnocchi, Centro S Maria agli Ulivi, IRCCS, Pozzolatico FI, Clinica Medica Generale e Cardiologia, Universita degli Studi, Firenze
Ital Heart J 3:5S-8S. 2002
- Enrico Pieragnoli and the prevention of tuberculosis: Florence 1906Andrea Alberto Conti
Don Carlo Cnocchi Foundation, Health Care and Scientific Research Institute, Florence, Italy
Vesalius 8:26-9. 2002..We may therefore conclude that the cornerstone of 'evidence-based' prevention of tuberculosis was present in Italy almost a century ago...
- [The historical evolution of regulation XVIII in the Italian medical curriculum]Antonio Conti
Dipartimento di Fisiopatologica Clinica, Universita degli Studi di Firenze
Med Secoli 16:429-37. 2004..In 2000 a Ministerial Decree concerning Specialistic Degree Courses introduced the new Class constituted by the Specialistic Curriculum in Medicine and Surgery...
- The mysterious death of Francesco I de' Medici and Bianca Cappello: an arsenic murder?Francesco Mari
Department of Anatomy, Histology, and Legal Medicine, University of Florence, 50134 Florence, Italy
BMJ 333:1299-301. 2006
- Plague, policy, saints and terrorists: a historical surveyDonatella Lippi
Department of Anatomy, University of Florence, Italy
J Infect 44:226-8. 2002..As a matter of fact, bioterrorism has become a great public health and infection control threat, and, among the number of potential biological agents, plague has assumed a key role...
- Inherited knee disorders in the Medici familyDonatella Lippi
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence, Italy
Knee 21:2-5. 2014..The six cases presented here illustrate the involvement of the knee joint where the joint destruction ultimately led to an ankylosis. ..
- Retrognathic maxilla in "Habsburg jaw". Skeletofacial analysis of Joanna of Austria (1547-1578)Donatella Lippi
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Legal Medicine, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Angle Orthod 82:387-95. 2012..To evaluate the dentoskeletal features of the "Habsburg jaw" by analyzing the skull of Joanna of Austria...
- Natural compounds for cancer treatment and preventionStefania Nobili
Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Pharmacol Res 59:365-78. 2009..Some critical aspects of current cancer chemotherapy are also discussed, focusing on genetics and genomics, and the recent revolutionary theory of cancer: aneuploidy as the primum movens of cancer...