Affiliation: University of Torino
Location: Torino, Italy
More than 20 years experience in Virology with focus on virus-cell interactions and research and development of antivirals.
Currently heading the Laboratory of Molecular Virology at the University of Turin, Italy
The biographical details of Prof. D. Lembo have been included in the 2011 and 2012 Edition of "Marquis Whos Who in the World".
He is the author or co-author of more than 50 publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
He is inventor of several patents in the field of antivirals and nanomedicine.
In 2005 he was awarded the “Technology Scouting in Academia” prize.
He is a scientific consultant of several biotech companies.
He is co-founder of the biotech company RotaLactis.
• Studies on virus-cell interactions.
• Biochemical and functional characterization of viral proteins with a focus on herpesviruses and papillomaviruses.
• Research and development of antiviral molecules with a focus on herpesviruses, papillomaviruses, rotaviruses and respiratory syncytial virus.
• Research and development of innovative formulations based on nanocarriers for the delivery of antiviral and antibacterial drugs, peptides, enzymes and nucleic acids
Viruses routinely screened for antiviral drug discovery in my lab:
- Herpes simplex virus
- Human papillomaviruses (pseudovirus neutralization assay)
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Bencini M, Ranucci E, Ferruti P, Trotta F, Donalisio M, Cornaglia M, et al. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of the antiviral activity of the Acyclovir complex of a beta-cyclodextrin/poly(amidoamine) copolymer. J Control Release. 2008;126:17-25 pubmed..The antiviral activity of Acyclovir beta-CD/PAA complex was evaluated against herpes simplex virus type I in cell cultures. The Acyclovir beta-CD/PAA complex exhibited a higher antiviral activity than the free drug. ..
- Lembo D, Swaminathan S, Donalisio M, Civra A, Pastero L, Aquilano D, et al. Encapsulation of Acyclovir in new carboxylated cyclodextrin-based nanosponges improves the agent's antiviral efficacy. Int J Pharm. 2013;443:262-72 pubmed publisher..The NS uptake into cells was evaluated using fluorescent Carb-NS and revealed the nanoparticle internalisation. Enhanced antiviral activity against a clinical isolate of HSV-1 was obtained using Acyclovir loaded in Carb-NS. ..
- Donalisio M, Rusnati M, Cagno V, Civra A, Bugatti A, Giuliani A, et al. Inhibition of human respiratory syncytial virus infectivity by a dendrimeric heparan sulfate-binding peptide. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:5278-88 pubmed publisher..Together, these features render SB105-A10 an attractive candidate for further development as a RSV inhibitor to be administered by aerosol delivery. ..
- Cavalli R, Bisazza A, Bussano R, Trotta M, Civra A, Lembo D, et al. Poly(amidoamine)-Cholesterol Conjugate Nanoparticles Obtained by Electrospraying as Novel Tamoxifen Delivery System. J Drug Deliv. 2011;2011:587604 pubmed publisher..The electrospray technique might be proposed to produce tamoxifen-loaded PAA-chol nanoparticle in powder form without any excipient in a single step. ..
- Mercorelli B, Lembo D, Palu G, Loregian A. Early inhibitors of human cytomegalovirus: state-of-art and therapeutic perspectives. Pharmacol Ther. 2011;131:309-29 pubmed publisher..This review describes the current knowledge on the initial phases of HCMV replication, their validation as potential novel antiviral targets, and the development of compounds that block such processes. ..
- Lembo D, Cavalli R. Nanoparticulate delivery systems for antiviral drugs. Antivir Chem Chemother. 2010;21:53-70 pubmed publisher..The paper closes with a discussion on the future challenges that must be addressed before the potential of nanotechnology can be translated into safe and effective antiviral formulations for clinical use. ..
- Mercorelli B, Oreste P, Sinigalia E, Muratore G, Lembo D, Palu G, et al. Sulfated derivatives of Escherichia coli K5 capsular polysaccharide are potent inhibitors of human cytomegalovirus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:4561-7 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, our studies highlight that small variations of the K5 derivatives structure can modulate the selectivity and potency of their activities against different viruses, including viruses belonging to the same family. ..
- Donalisio M, Rusnati M, Civra A, Bugatti A, Allemand D, Pirri G, et al. Identification of a dendrimeric heparan sulfate-binding peptide that inhibits infectivity of genital types of human papillomaviruses. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:4290-9 pubmed publisher..The findings from this study indicate SB105-A10 to be a leading candidate compound for further development as an active ingredient of a topical microbicide against HPV and other sexually transmitted viral infections. ..
- Donalisio M, Poli A, Civra A, Landolfo S, Lembo D. Effects of cytokines on long control region transcriptional activity in high-risk cutaneous human papillomavirus types 5 and 8. Arch Virol. 2010;155:583-7 pubmed publisher..This novel assay has allowed the first systematic analysis of the effects of cytokines on HPV-5 and HPV-8 LCR activity and provides a valuable tool for the search for cutaneous HPV-gene expression inhibitors. ..
- Donalisio M, Cornaglia M, Landolfo S, Lembo D. TGF-beta1 and IL-4 downregulate human papillomavirus-16 oncogene expression but have differential effects on the malignant phenotype of cervical carcinoma cells. Virus Res. 2008;132:253-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the two cytokines may play a role in the control of HPV infections, however, cervical carcinoma cells developed a partial or a total resistance to their inhibitory activity...
- Cavalli R, Donalisio M, Civra A, Ferruti P, Ranucci E, Trotta F, et al. Enhanced antiviral activity of Acyclovir loaded into beta-cyclodextrin-poly(4-acryloylmorpholine) conjugate nanoparticles. J Control Release. 2009;137:116-22 pubmed publisher..It was found that the nanoparticles are internalized in cells and locate in the perinuclear compartment. ..
- Lembo D, Brune W. Tinkering with a viral ribonucleotide reductase. Trends Biochem Sci. 2009;34:25-32 pubmed publisher..The discovery of this novel mechanism of viral immune subversion provides further support to the concept of evolutionary tinkering...
- Mack C, Sickmann A, Lembo D, Brune W. Inhibition of proinflammatory and innate immune signaling pathways by a cytomegalovirus RIP1-interacting protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3094-9 pubmed publisher..The results presented here reveal a mechanism of viral immune subversion and demonstrate how a viral protein can simultaneously block proinflammatory and innate immune signaling pathways by interacting with a central mediator molecule. ..
- Cavalli R, Bisazza A, Giustetto P, Civra A, Lembo D, Trotta G, et al. Preparation and characterization of dextran nanobubbles for oxygen delivery. Int J Pharm. 2009;381:160-5 pubmed publisher..The oxygen release kinetics could be enhanced after nanobubble insonation with ultrasound at 2.5MHz. The oxygen-filled nanobubble formulations might be proposed for therapeutic applications in various diseases. ..
- Lembo D, Donalisio M, Rusnati M, Bugatti A, Cornaglia M, Cappello P, et al. Sulfated K5 Escherichia coli polysaccharide derivatives as wide-range inhibitors of genital types of human papillomavirus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:1374-81 pubmed publisher..Their 50% inhibitory concentration was between 0.1 and 0.9 mug/ml, without evidence of cytotoxicity. These findings provide insights into the design of novel, safe, and broad-spectrum microbicides against genital HPV infections. ..
- Cavalli R, Bisazza A, Trotta M, Argenziano M, Civra A, Donalisio M, et al. New chitosan nanobubbles for ultrasound-mediated gene delivery: preparation and in vitro characterization. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:3309-18 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, chitosan nanobubbles have the potential to be promising tools for ultrasound-mediated DNA delivery. ..
- Cavalli R, Donalisio M, Bisazza A, Civra A, Ranucci E, Ferruti P, et al. Enhanced antiviral activity of acyclovir loaded into nanoparticles. Methods Enzymol. 2012;509:1-19 pubmed publisher..The biocompatibility assays necessary to obtain safe nanoparticles are reported. Section 4 of this chapter describes the assessment of the antiviral activity of the acyclovir-loaded nanoparticles. ..
- Ester K, Supek F, Majsec K, Marjanović M, Lembo D, Donalisio M, et al. Putative mechanisms of antitumor activity of cyano-substituted heteroaryles in HeLa cells. Invest New Drugs. 2012;30:450-67 pubmed publisher....
- Rusnati M, Vicenzi E, Donalisio M, Oreste P, Landolfo S, Lembo D. Sulfated K5 Escherichia coli polysaccharide derivatives: A novel class of candidate antiviral microbicides. Pharmacol Ther. 2009;123:310-22 pubmed publisher..With a focus on the K5 derivatives, this article reviews the literature on polyanions as antiviral microbicides and discusses the possible therapeutic implications of this novel class of compounds. ..
- Donalisio M, Nana H, Ngane R, Gatsing D, Tchinda A, Rovito R, et al. In vitro anti-Herpes simplex virus activity of crude extract of the roots of Nauclea latifolia Smith (Rubiaceae). BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:266 pubmed publisher..This extract could be a promising rough material for the development of a new and more effective modern anti-HSV-2 medication also active against acyclovir-resistant HSV-2 strains. ..
- Donalisio M, Quaranta P, Chiuppesi F, Pistello M, Cagno V, Cavalli R, et al. The AGMA1 poly(amidoamine) inhibits the infectivity of herpes simplex virus in cell lines, in human cervicovaginal histocultures, and in vaginally infected mice. Biomaterials. 2016;85:40-53 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that AGMA1 is a promising candidate for the development of a topical microbicide to prevent sexually transmitted HSV infections. ..
- Civra A, Francese R, Sinato D, Donalisio M, Cagno V, Rubiolo P, et al. In vitro screening for antiviral activity of Turkish plants revealing methanolic extract of Rindera lanata var. lanata active against human rotavirus. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:74 pubmed publisher..lanata methanolic extract a promising starting material for a bioguided-fractionation aimed at identifying anti-HRoV compounds. Further work is required to isolate the active principle and assess its clinical potential. ..
- Cagno V, Civra A, Rossin D, Calfapietra S, Caccia C, Leoni V, et al. Inhibition of herpes simplex-1 virus replication by 25-hydroxycholesterol and 27-hydroxycholesterol. Redox Biol. 2017;12:522-527 pubmed publisher..Further, a direct antiviral effect of IL-6 administration to HSV-1 infected cells was demonstrated, disclosing an additional mechanism of antiviral action by both 25HC and 27HC. ..
- Lembo D, Donalisio M, Cornaglia M, Azzimonti B, Demurtas A, Landolfo S. Effect of high-risk human papillomavirus oncoproteins on p53R2 gene expression after DNA damage. Virus Res. 2006;122:189-93 pubmed publisher....
- Lembo D, Cagno V, Civra A, Poli G. Oxysterols: An emerging class of broad spectrum antiviral effectors. Mol Aspects Med. 2016;49:23-30 pubmed publisher..In the present paper, we review the recent findings about the broad antiviral activity of oxysterols against enveloped and non-enveloped human viral pathogens, and provide an overview of their putative antiviral mechnism(s). ..
- Donalisio M, Cagno V, Civra A, Gibellini D, Musumeci G, Rittà M, et al. The traditional use of Vachellia nilotica for sexually transmitted diseases is substantiated by the antiviral activity of its bark extract against sexually transmitted viruses. J Ethnopharmacol. 2018;213:403-408 pubmed publisher..These results support the traditional use of V.nilotica applied externally for the treatment of genital lesions. Further work remains to be done in order to identify the bioactive components. ..