Affiliation: University of Perugia
- Seizures, headache and thrombocytopenia: diagnosis and treatment do not always come in a standard sequenceA Iorio
Medicina Interna e Vascolare-Stroke Unit, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Ospedale S. Maria della Misericordia, Perugia, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 2:202-6. 2007
- Impaired endothelial antithrombotic activity following short-term interruption of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in type 1 diabetic patientsAlfonso Iorio
Section of Internal and Vascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Thromb Haemost 98:635-41. 2007..Thus, early detection of hyperketonemia in DM patients could contribute to the prevention of life-threatening vascular events...
- Iatrogenic causes of an ICH: OAT therapyA Iorio
Universita di Perugia, Sezione di Medicina Interna e Cardiovascolare, Stroke Unit, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Perugia, Italy
Eur J Anaesthesiol Suppl 42:8-11. 2008..Patients who receive chronic oral anticoagulant treatment urgently require effective treatments for acute oral anticoagulant treatment-intracerebral haemorrhage, and therefore controlled clinical trials are needed...
- Are placebo-controlled trials ethical in areas where current guidelines recommend therapy? NoA Iorio
Division of Internal and Cardiovascular Medicine and Stroke Unit, University of Perugia, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 4:2133-6. 2006
- Italian Registry of Haemophilia and Allied Disorders. Objectives, methodology and data analysisA Iorio
Hemophilia Centre, Internaland Vascular Medicine, University of Perugia, 06131 Perugia, Italy
Haemophilia 14:444-53. 2008..The Italian registry run by AICE adds to the list of the available national haemophilia registries and is intended to establish treatment guidelines and foster research projects in Italy...
- The good use of plasma. A critical analysis of five international guidelinesAlfonso Iorio
Medicina Interna e Vascolare, Universita di Perugia, Italy
Blood Transfus 6:18-24. 2008..The aim of the present study was to analyse some of the existing guidelines on the good use of plasma, applying a scientifically validated method, as a preliminary step in the implementation of Regional guidelines...
- Audit of the clinical use of fresh-frozen plasma in Umbria: study design and results of the pilot phaseAlfonso Iorio
SC di Medicina Interna and Vascolare, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita di Perugia, Italy
Blood Transfus 6:211-9. 2008..The literature, however, reports a high percentage of inappropriate requests for FFP. This article presents the results of a pilot study of clinical auditing of the use of FFP in the Region of Umbria (Italy)...
- Clinical trials and haemophilia: does the Bayesian approach make the ideal and desirable good friends?A Iorio
Internal and Vascular Medicine Haemophilia Centre, University of Perugia, Via G Dottori 1, Perugia 06129, Italy
Haemophilia 15:900-3. 2009..Exemplifications of the advantages of the Bayesian approach will be given discussing some papers published in Haemophilia...
- Objectives and methodology: Guidelines of the Italian Society for Haemostasis and Thrombosis (SISET)Alfonso Iorio
Internal and Vascular Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia
Thromb Res 124:e1-5. 2009....
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism after major orthopedic surgery: summing up evidence about old and new antithrombotic agentsA Iorio
Sezione di Medicina Interna e Cardiovascolare, , Perugia, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 2:1055-7. 2004
- Bone mineral density in haemophilia patients. A meta-analysisAlfonso Iorio
Hemophilia Centre Internal and Vascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Thromb Haemost 103:596-603. 2010..This meta-analysis confirms the association between severe haemophilia and low BMD. Future studies should investigate fracture rates and interventions to prevent bone loss in persons with haemophilia...
- Applied pharmacoeconomics: considerations to drive the choice of a prophylactic antithrombotic regimenA Iorio
Sezione di Medicina Interna e Cardiovascolare, , Perugia, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 1:881-3. 2003
- Rate of inhibitor development in previously untreated hemophilia A patients treated with plasma-derived or recombinant factor VIII concentrates: a systematic reviewA Iorio
Internal and Vascular Medicine and Hemophilia Centre, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 8:1256-65. 2010..Different rates of inhibitor development after either plasma-derived (pdFVIII) or recombinant (rFVIII) FVIII have been suggested. However, conflicting results are reported in the literature...
- Influenza vaccination and vitamin K antagonist treatment: a placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind crossover studyAlfonso Iorio
Department of Internal and Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Perugia, 06100 Perugia, Italy
Arch Intern Med 170:609-16. 2010....
- Thrombophilia and cerebral vein thrombosisAlfonso Iorio
Stroke Unit and Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, Via Dottori, Sant Andrea delle Fratte, Perugia, Italy
Front Neurol Neurosci 23:55-76. 2008..38 for factor V Leiden mutation, 9.27 for Prothrombin G20210A mutation, 32 for antiphospholipid syndrome and 4.07 for hyperhomocysteinemia. Some simple but critical rules are finally given to help when testing for thrombophilia...
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and warfarin dose requirement variabilityVittorio Giuliano
Gastrointestinal and Hepatology Section, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Ospedale S Maria della Misericordia, and Department of Biochemistry Science and Molecular Biotechnologies, University of Perugia, Italy
Thromb Res 126:12-7. 2010..Larger studies are needed to confirm these preliminary data and to evaluate the effects of SIBO decontamination on warfarin dosage...
- Replacement therapy with recombinant factor IX. A multicentre evaluation of current dosing practices in ItalyAlessandra Rocca
Haemophilia Centre of Perugia, Internal and Vascular Medicine, Via G Dottori 1, Perugia, Italy
Blood Transfus 9:60-9. 2011..In clinical practice, a conversion (augmentation) factor is suggested to calculate the necessary doses of rFIX. The aim of this study was to assess the range of values for the conversion factor in usual clinical practice in Italy...
- Fibrinogenolysis and thrombin generation after reduced dose bolus or conventional rt-PA for pulmonary embolism. The Coagulation Project Investigators of the Bolus Alteplase Pulmonary Embolism GroupG Agnelli
Istituto di Medicina Interna e Medicina Vascolare, Universita di Perugia, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 8:216-22. 1997..0%) in Group B suffered major or other important bleeding. Our results indicate that the administration of weight-adjusted reduced-dose rt-PA bolus produces less impairment of blood coagulation than the FDA approved regimen...
- Influenza vaccination in patients on long-term anticoagulant therapyA M Iorio
Department of Hygiene, University of Perugia, Via del Giochetto, 06100 Perugia, Italy
Vaccine 24:6624-8. 2006....
- Three months versus one year of oral anticoagulant therapy for idiopathic deep venous thrombosis. Warfarin Optimal Duration Italian Trial InvestigatorsG Agnelli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita di Perugia, Italy
N Engl J Med 345:165-9. 2001..Whether this benefit persists after anticoagulant therapy is discontinued is controversial...
- Low-molecular-weight heparin for the long-term treatment of symptomatic venous thromboembolism: meta-analysis of the randomized comparisons with oral anticoagulantsA Iorio
Sezione de Medicina Interna e Cardiovasculare, Universita di Perugia, Perugia, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 1:1906-13. 2003....
- Risk of recurrence after a first episode of symptomatic venous thromboembolism provoked by a transient risk factor: a systematic reviewAlfonso Iorio
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Italy
Arch Intern Med 170:1710-6. 2010..We aimed to determine the risk of recurrence for symptomatic venous thromboembolism (VTE) provoked by different transient risk factors...
- Low-molecular-weight and unfractionated heparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in neurosurgery: a meta-analysisA Iorio
Laboratorio di Analisi Chimico Cliniche, Azienda Ospedaliera Santa Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Perugia, Italy
Arch Intern Med 160:2327-32. 2000..We performed a meta-analysis of controlled randomized trials on the efficacy and safety of heparin in the prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism in neurosurgery...
- Safety and efficacy of ximelagatran: meta-analysis of the controlled randomized trials for the prophylaxis or treatment of venous thromboembolismA Iorio
Division of Internal and Cardiovascular Medicine, Dept. of Internal Medicine, University of Perugia, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 11:3893-918. 2005..Future efforts are needed by researchers to prospectively investigate the best postoperatively starting time and by clinicians to monitor overall mortality in prophylactic use...
- Low-molecular-weight heparin and cancer survival: review of the literature and pooled analysis of 1,726 patients treated for at least three monthsSerenella Conti
Sezione di Medicina Interna e Cardiovascolare, , Perugia, Italy
Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 33:197-201. 2003..96, 95% CI 0.73-1.25; z = 0.33; p = 0.74). CONCLUSIONS: In 1,726 patients randomized to receive a long-term course of at least 3 months of LMWH or OA for the treatment of VTE, no effect on cancer mortality was found...
- Performance comparison of three assay methods used in fasting and postmethionine load plasma homocysteine determinations from patients with vascular diseaseEvangelia Mourvaki
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 124:675-81. 2005..Differences among tHcy values must be taken into account when these methods will be used interchangeably for diagnosis and monitoring of treatment...
- Successful treatment with rFVIIa of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage in a patient with mechanical prosthetic heart valvesS Conti
Sezione di Medicina Interna e Cardiovascolare, University of Perugia, Via Enrico Dal Pozzo, 06123 Perugia, Italy
Clin Lab Haematol 27:283-5. 2005..Neurological examination at 3 months follow-up visit was completely normal. To our knowledge, this is the first report of the safe and successful use of rFVIIa to treat ICH in a patient on oral anticoagulants for prosthetic heart valves...
- Clinical validation of a new algorithm for computerized dosing of vitamin K antagonist therapy: a retrospective simulation studyMichela Basileo
Department of Internal and Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 8:55-63. 2013..In conclusion, the new algorithm proved to consistently overlap with the manual method. The algorithm is useful but must be tested in a multi-center, prospective, interventional study...
- D-dimer testing to determine the duration of anticoagulation therapyGualtiero Palareti
Department of Angiology and Blood Coagulation, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Bologna, Italy
N Engl J Med 355:1780-9. 2006..The optimal duration of oral anticoagulation in patients with idiopathic venous thromboembolism is uncertain. Testing of D-dimer levels may play a role in the assessment of the need for prolonged anticoagulation...
- Factor V Leiden and prothrombin gene G20210A mutations in Italian patients with Behçet's disease and deep vein thrombosisMauro Silingardi
Ospedale di Reggio Emilia, Regio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 51:177-83. 2004..To evaluate the frequency and type of vascular lesions and to study the association of factor V gene G1691A (Leiden) and prothrombin gene G20210A polymorphisms with venous thrombosis in Italian patients with Behçet's disease (BD)...
- Intracranial bleeding: epidemiology and relationships with antithrombotic treatment in 241 cerebral hemorrhages in Reggio EmiliaAlberto Nicolini
, Centro Emostasi e Trombosi, Dipartimento Area Medica 1, Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Haematologica 87:948-56. 2002..0001). INTERPRETATION AND CONCLUSIONS: Careful selection of patients and prevention of traumatic events are the main candidate mechanisms to reduce intracranial bleeding in patients being treated with AC and AP drugs...
- Safety and efficacy of sucrose-formulated full-length recombinant factor VIII: experience in the standard clinical settingRoberto Musso
Azienda Ospedale Vittorio Emanuele, Ospedale Ferrarotto, Catania, Italy
Thromb Haemost 99:52-8. 2008..Furthermore, these findings are consistent with those of previous phase III clinical studies with rFVIII-FS, particularly with regard to its efficacy and low incidence of inhibitor formation...