Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Turin
- Campa C, Franco I, Hirsch E. PI3K-C2Î±: One enzyme for two products coupling vesicle trafficking and signal transduction. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:1552-8 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the latest discoveries regarding PI3K-C2Î± function in vesicle trafficking and its impact on cell biology and mammalian embryonic development. ..
- Franco I, Margaria J, De Santis M, Ranghino A, Monteyne D, Chiaravalli M, et al. Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase-C2Î± Regulates Polycystin-2 Ciliary Entry and Protects against Kidney Cyst Formation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;27:1135-44 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that PI3K-C2Î± is required for the transport of ciliary components such as polycystin-2, and partial loss of this enzyme is sufficient to exacerbate the pathogenesis of cystic kidney disease. ..
- Galli U, Ciraolo E, Massarotti A, Margaria J, Sorba G, Hirsch E, et al. The Guareschi Pyridine Scaffold as a Valuable Platform for the Identification of Selective PI3K Inhibitors. Molecules. 2015;20:17275-87 pubmed publisher..Compound 9b is a selective inhibitor against the PI3Kα isoform, maintaining a good inhibitory activity. Docking studies were also performed in order to rationalize its profile of selectivity. ..
- Beretta M, Bauer M, Hirsch E. PI3K signaling in the pathogenesis of obesity: The cause and the cure. Adv Biol Regul. 2015;58:1-15 pubmed publisher..This integrated view of PI3K functions may ultimately help to develop new therapeutic interventions for the treatment of obesity. ..
- Ghigo A, Li M, Hirsch E. New signal transduction paradigms in anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:1916-25 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Cardiomyocyte Biology: Integration of Developmental and Environmental Cues in the Heart edited by Marcus Schaub and Hughes Abriel. ..
- De Santis M, Sala V, Martini M, Ferrero G, Hirsch E. PI3K Signaling in Tissue Hyper-Proliferation: From Overgrowth Syndromes to Kidney Cysts. Cancers (Basel). 2017;9: pubmed publisher..In particular, we discuss the most recent findings on how the same pathway may lead to different biological effects, due to the convergence and cooperation of different signaling cascades. ..
- Sala V, Margaria J, Murabito A, Morello F, Ghigo A, Hirsch E. Therapeutic Targeting of PDEs and PI3K in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction (HFpEF). Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2017;14:187-196 pubmed publisher..Finally, we will discuss the potential of repurposing and/or developing new PDE and PI3K inhibitors for HFpEF therapy. ..
- Hirsch E, Bosco O, Tropel P, Laffargue M, Calvez R, Altruda F, et al. Resistance to thromboembolism in PI3Kgamma-deficient mice. FASEB J. 2001;15:2019-21 pubmed..This result demonstrates an unsuspected, well-defined role for PI3Kgamma downstream of ADP and suggests that pharmacological targeting of PI3Kgamma has a potential use as antithrombotic therapy. ..
- Campa C, Hirsch E. Rab11 and phosphoinositides: A synergy of signal transducers in the control of vesicular trafficking. Adv Biol Regul. 2017;63:132-139 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the latest advances regarding the mechanisms that ensure the compartmentalized regulation of Rab11 function through its interaction with phosphoinositides. ..
- Gulluni F, Martini M, De Santis M, Campa C, Ghigo A, Margaria J, et al. Mitotic Spindle Assembly and Genomic Stability in Breast Cancer Require PI3K-C2? Scaffolding Function. Cancer Cell. 2017;32:444-459.e7 pubmed publisher..As a consequence of altered spindle, loss of PI3K-C2? increases sensitivity to taxane-based therapy in pre-clinical models and in neoadjuvant settings. ..
- Ghigo A, Laffargue M, Li M, Hirsch E. PI3K and Calcium Signaling in Cardiovascular Disease. Circ Res. 2017;121:282-292 pubmed publisher..This review explores the emerging molecular mechanisms linking Ca2+ and PI3K signaling in health and disease. ..
- Franco I, Gulluni F, Campa C, Costa C, Margaria J, Ciraolo E, et al. PI3K class II ? controls spatially restricted endosomal PtdIns3P and Rab11 activation to promote primary cilium function. Dev Cell. 2014;28:647-58 pubmed publisher..Thus, PI3K-C2? regulates the formation of a PtdIns3P pool at the PRE required for Rab11 and Shh pathway activation. ..
- Hirsch E, Costa C, Ciraolo E. Phosphoinositide 3-kinases as a common platform for multi-hormone signaling. J Endocrinol. 2007;194:243-56 pubmed..This review will thus focus on the different pathways that converge on PI3K activation, with particular attention to the paradigmatic PI3K involvement in insulin signaling. ..
- Hirsch E, Pozzato M, Vercelli A, Barberis L, Azzolino O, Russo C, et al. Defective dendrite elongation but normal fertility in mice lacking the Rho-like GTPase activator Dbl. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3140-8 pubmed..However, in distinct populations of Dbl-null cortical pyramidal neurons, the length of dendrites was significantly reduced, suggesting a role for Dbl in dendrite elongation. ..