Affiliation: University of Milan
- Real-time PCR for quantification of the bacterial endosymbionts (Wolbachia) of filarial nematodesL Simoncini
, Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parassitologia, , Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 43:173-8. 2001..With slight modifications of the primers and probe, the protocol we have developed could be applied in studies of the human pathogen Brugia malayi and on the model filarial species Litomosoides sigmodontis...
- Wolbachia and its implications for the immunopathology of filariasisClaudio Genchi
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Milano, Italy
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 12:53-6. 2012....
- Changing distribution patterns of canine vector borne diseases in Italy: leishmaniosis vs. dirofilariosisDomenico Otranto
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Valenzano Bari, Italy
Parasit Vectors 2:S2. 2009..The research needs for managing HW and CanL in previously uninfected areas are discussed...
- Tick species infesting ruminants in Italy: ecological and bio-climatic factors affecting the different regional distributionC Genchi
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 41:41-5. 1999..This hypothesis seems to be confirmed by the high percentage observed for I. ricinus (57.4%) and R. sanguineus (35.73%) out of 8,712 specimens collected from several different hosts and from the environment...
- Comparative evaluation of two ivermectin injectable formulations against psoroptic mange in feedlot cattleClaudio Genchi
Department of Animal Pathology, University of Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Parasitol 158:110-6. 2008....
- Feline heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infection: a statistical elaboration of the duration of the infection and life expectancy in asymptomatic catsClaudio Genchi
Department of Animal Pathology DIPAV, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, Milano, Italy
Vet Parasitol 158:177-82. 2008..Heartworm-infected cats survived significantly longer than heartworm-negative cats affected by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, chronic renal failure, or neoplastic diseases...
- Climate and Dirofilaria infection in EuropeClaudio Genchi
DIPAV, Section of General Pathology and Parasitology, University of Milan, 20133 Milan, Italy
Vet Parasitol 163:286-92. 2009..This mosquito species could spread from southern to northern European countries in the near future, changing the epidemiological patterns of dirofilariosis both in humans and animals...
- Efficacy of a single milbemycin oxime administration in combination with praziquantel against experimentally induced heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infection in catsClaudio Genchi
Department of Animal Pathology, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Parasitol 122:287-92. 2004..No heartworms were found in the animals in group 1 (treated with medicated tablets). Out of the 12 placebo-treated cats 1 was heartworm-free, whereas all the others were found to be infected with 1-3 adult heartworms...
- Efficacy of moxidectin for the prevention of adult heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infection in dogsC Genchi
Dipartimento di Patologia Veterinaria, Igiene e Salute Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 43:139-41. 2001..This study confirms the efficacy and safety of moxidectin in the prevention of adult heartworm infection in dogs...
- Full season efficacy of moxidectin microsphere sustained release formulation for the prevention of heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infection in dogsClaudio Genchi
Dipartimento di Patologia Veterinaria, Igiene e Salute Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milan, Italy
Vet Parasitol 110:85-91. 2002....
- Changing climate and changing vector-borne disease distribution: the example of Dirofilaria in EuropeClaudio Genchi
DIPAV, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Parasitol 176:295-9. 2011..repens. Furthermore, diagnosis is problematic and in-clinic serological tests, such as those for D. immitis, do not exist. Therefore, most infections go undiagnosed, allowing the infection to spread undetected...
- [Therapy and anthelmintic resistance]C Genchi
Department of Animal Pathology, Hygiene and Veterinary Public Health, Section of General Pathology and Parasitology, University of Milan, Italy
Parassitologia 48:423-31. 2006..The importance of diet and potential alternative control measures (nematophagus fungi and natural compounds such as tannins) are illustrated...
- Is heartworm disease really spreading in Europe?Claudio Genchi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parasitologia, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Vet Parasitol 133:137-48. 2005..The study also provides the first risk assessment maps for Europe and suggests that if the actual climatic trend continues, filarial infection should spread into previously infection-free areas...
- Human babesiosis, an emerging zoonosisC Genchi
DIPAV Section of General Pathology and Parasitology, University of Milan, Italy
Parassitologia 49:29-31. 2007..Recently a non-Babesia divergens organism causing zoonotic infection has been found in Italy and Austria. Overall, the seroprevalence against both B. microti and B. divergens microrganisms in human ranges 1.5%-11.5% in Europe...
- GIS modeling for canine dirofilariosis risk assessment in central ItalyMichele Mortarino
DIPAV, Section of General Pathology and Parasitology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Geospat Health 2:253-61. 2008..The potential transmission period in the study area was found to be confined to summer months with a peak in July and August, as expected for a temperate region where summer season is the most favourable period for the parasite...
- Efficacy of moxidectin microsphere sustained release formulation for the prevention of subcutaneous filarial (Dirofilaria repens) infection in dogsMarco Genchi
DIPAV, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Caloria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Parasitol 170:167-9. 2010..001). In this experimental study, moxidectin SR injectable showed full efficacy (100%) lasting at least 6 months, and is able to prevent subcutaneous D. repens patent infection throughout the entire transmission season in Europe...
- Combined ivermectin and doxycycline treatment has microfilaricidal and adulticidal activity against Dirofilaria immitis in experimentally infected dogsC Bazzocchi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, University of Milan, 20133 Milan, Italy
Int J Parasitol 38:1401-10. 2008..Results indicate that the combination of these two drugs causes adult worm death. This could have important implications for control of human and animal filarial infections...
- Ecology and epidemiology of tick-borne diseases: which role for the control?C Genchi
DIPAV, Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parassitologia, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 48:137-8. 2006
- Anti-Wolbachia Surface Protein antibodies are present in the urine of dogs naturally infected with Dirofilaria immitis with circulating microfilariae but not in dogs with occult infectionsRodrigo Morchon
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Parma, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 12:17-20. 2012..Kidneys from mf+ dogs showed Wolbachia+ mf in glomerular capillaries. Results strongly suggest that Wolbachia associated with circulating mf may contribute to immune-mediated kidney disease in dogs with heartworm infection...
- Echinococcus multilocularis in north ItalyM T Manfredi
Department of Animal Pathology, Hygiene and Veterinary Public Health, University of Milan, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milan, Italy
Parassitologia 48:43-6. 2006..Moreoever, 1406 faecal samples of red foxes were analyzed by CA-ELISAs commercial test kit. This paper provides an update of the epidemiological knowledge of this parasite in north Italy...
- Immunological role of the endosymbionts of Dirofilaria immitis: the Wolbachia surface protein activates canine neutrophils with production of IL-8C Bazzocchi
, Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parassitologia, , Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milan, Italy
Vet Parasitol 117:73-83. 2003..As shown by our studies, Wolbachia could contribute to these inflammatory phenomena through its surface protein WSP, independently from its endotoxin component...
- Tick species parasitizing people in an area endemic for tick-borne diseases in north-western ItalyM T Manfredi
Department of Veterinary Pathology, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, University of Milan, Italy
Parassitologia 41:555-60. 1999..bursa, R. sanguineus, R. turanicus). I. ricinus and R. sanguineus were the most abundant species. I. ricinus was recorded more frequently from ruminants particularly roe deer, while R. sanguineus was found to be associated with the dog...
- A phylogenetic analysis of filarial nematodes: comparison with the phylogeny of Wolbachia endosymbiontsM Casiraghi
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria, , Italy
Parasitology 122:93-103. 2001..and Wuchereria spp.) and the sister group relationship of Dirofilaria spp. and Onchocerca spp. However, the placement of the Wolbachia-free filaria Acanthocheilonema viteae is ambiguous and dependent on the phylogenetic methods used...
- Effects of tetracycline on the filarial worms Brugia pahangi and Dirofilaria immitis and their bacterial endosymbionts WolbachiaC Bandi
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
Int J Parasitol 29:357-64. 1999..The possibility that tetracycline inhibition of embryo development in B. pahangi and D. immitis is determined by cytoplasmic incompatibility is discussed...
- Phylogeny of Wolbachia in filarial nematodesC Bandi
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria, Universita di Milano, Italy
Proc Biol Sci 265:2407-13. 1998..Thus, there is no evidence for recent Wolbachia transmission between arthropods and nematodes. Endosymbiont 16S ribosomal DNA sequences from a subset of filarial species support these findings...
- Highly sensitive multiplex PCR for simultaneous detection and discrimination of Dirofilaria immitis and Dirofilaria repens in canine peripheral bloodG Gioia
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, Milan, Italy
Vet Parasitol 172:160-3. 2010..The multiplex PCR assay represents an additional tool for epidemiological studies and routine disease assessment in areas co-endemic for the two Dirofilaria species...
- Sequencing of the complete gene coding for the GroEL of the Wolbachia of Dirofilaria immitis and expression and purification of the recombinant proteinC Bazzocchi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, , Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parassitologia, , Italy
Parassitologia 46:307-10. 2004..The complete groel gene was PCR-amplified, sequenced and cloned into an expression vector. The recombinant GroEL was purified by affinity chromatography by using high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)...
- Tetracycline treatment and sex-ratio distortion: a role for Wolbachia in the moulting of filarial nematodes?M Casiraghi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
Int J Parasitol 32:1457-68. 2002..Prospects for antifilarial therapy using Wolbachia-targeted tetracycline treatments should thus take into account the possibility of Wolbachia rebound...
- [Emerging rickettsioses]N Lo
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale Veterinaria, , , Via Celoria, 22, 20133 Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 46:123-6. 2004..Possible interactions between the bacterium and its host will be discussed...
- Echinococcus multilocularis infection in red foxes in italyM T Manfredi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, , , , Milan, Italy
Vet Rec 150:757. 2002
- Expression and function of Toll-like receptor 2 in canine blood phagocytesChiara Bazzocchi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale Igiene e Sanità Pubblica Veterinaria, Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parassitologia, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 104:15-9. 2005..These findings suggest that, also in dogs as in humans the initial antibacterial response of PMNs could be elicited through engagement of TLR2...
- [Quantitative PCR in the diagnosis of Leishmania]M Mortarino
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, ,
Parassitologia 46:163-7. 2004....
- wsp gene sequences from the Wolbachia of filarial nematodesC Bazzocchi
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria, Milano, Italy
Curr Microbiol 41:96-100. 2000..In addition, different individuals of the same host species (Dirofilaria immitis and Wuchereria bancrofti) show identical wsp gene sequences...
- Dirofilarial infections in EuropeClaudio Genchi
Department of Animal Pathology, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 11:1307-17. 2011..This article reviews the zoonotic aspects, effects of climate, and other global drivers on Dirofilaria infections in Europe and the possible implications on the transmission and control of these mosquito-borne nematodes...
- 5 S ribosomal spacer sequences of some filarial parasites: comparative analysis and diagnostic applicationsG Favia
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria dell Università degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, Milano, 20133, Italy
Mol Cell Probes 14:285-90. 2000..The PCR assay here developed and the analysis of the 5 S ribosomal spacer, can further improve both epidemiological and molecular analysis of these filarial species...
- First detection of spotted fever group rickettsiae in Ixodes ricinus from ItalyTiziana Beninati
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
Emerg Infect Dis 8:983-6. 2002..Using molecular methods, we detected three different spotted fever group rickettsiae, including Rickettsia helvetica. Our results raise the possibility that bacteria other than R. conorii are involved in rickettsial diseases in Italy...
- Aprocta matronensis in crows (Corvus corone corone) from northern ItalyM T Manfredi
Istituto di Patologia Generale Veterinaria, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
Parassitologia 34:97-101. 1992..This is the first record of A. matronensis in crows in Italy and in Corvus corone corone. Some hypotheses about the distribution of the parasites in crow populations are discussed...
- A dual anthelmintic treatment strategic scheme for the control of fasciolosis in dairy sheep farmsGiuseppe Cringoli
Dipartimento di Patologia e Sanita Animale, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, CREMOPAR Regione Campania, Napoli, Italy
Parasitol Res 99:700-5. 2006..This scheme did not influence the albendazole SO efficacy against GI nematodes and might be used for the treatment of fasciolosis in dairy sheep farms...
- Heartworm disease in animals and humansJohn W McCall
Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Adv Parasitol 66:193-285. 2008..repens in humans in Europe. The chapter concludes with a discussion on emerging strategies in heartworm treatment and control, highlighting the potential role of tetracycline antibiotics in adulticidal therapy...
- Field efficacy and safety of a combination of moxidectin and imidacloprid for the prevention of feline heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infectionLuigi Venco
Veterinary Hospital Città di Pavia, viale Cremona 179, Pavia, Italy
Vet Parasitol 154:67-70. 2008..Throughout the treatment, transitory hypersalivation and generic signs of annoyance were reported by owners in 6 cats (4.5%). All signs regressed spontaneously...
- A simple molecular method for discriminating common filarial nematodes of dogs (Canis familiaris)Maurizio Casiraghi
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie e Bioscienze, Universita degli Studi di Milano Bicocca, Milan, Italy
Vet Parasitol 141:368-72. 2006....
- Toxocara canis infection induces antigen-specific IL-10 and IFNgamma production in pregnant dogs and their puppiesAlessandra Torina
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Sicilia, Via G Marinuzzi 3, 90134 Palermo, Italy
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 108:247-51. 2005..In conclusion, our data suggests that BMC of infected dogs have a particular modification of IL-10 and IFNgamma synthesis. These data could be the basis to design immunotherapeutic approaches...
- Ultrasonographic features of peritoneal cestodiasis caused by Mesocestoides sp. in a dog and in a catLuigi Venco
Clinica Veterinaria Città di Pavia, Viale Cremona, Pavia, Italy
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 46:417-22. 2005..In the second patient the ultrasonographic features of tetrathyridial infection in a cat in which the parasite was observed as an incidental finding during ovariohysterectomy are described...
- Heartworm disease in dogs: unusual clinical casesL Venco
, Viale Cremona, Pavia, Italy
Vet Parasitol 133:207-18. 2005..Another case report describes persistent left cranial vena cava, which interfered with the surgical removal of heartworm via the left jugular vein...
- The northward spread of leishmaniasis in Italy: evidence from retrospective and ongoing studies on the canine reservoir and phlebotomine vectorsMichele Maroli
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 13:256-64. 2008..Northern continental Italy is now focally endemic for VL and a moderate risk for human disease does exist, although the intensity of transmission seems to be lower than in traditional settings of Mediterranean VL...
- Veterinary parasitologists: not lost but proactive!Claudio Genchi
Trends Parasitol 23:139-41. 2007
- Geographical information systems and bootstrap aggregation (bagging) of tree-based classifiers for Lyme disease risk prediction in Trentino, Italian AlpsAnnapaola Rizzoli
Centro di Ecologia Alpina, Viote del Monte Bondone, Sardagna, Trento, Italy
J Med Entomol 39:485-92. 2002..The application of the bagging procedure increased the accuracy of the prediction made by a single classification tree, a well-known classification method for the analysis of epidemiological data...
- Genospecies of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato in Ixodes ricinus ticks from the Autonomous Province of Trento, ItalyElena Pecchioli
Centre for Alpine Ecology, I 38040 Viote del Monte Bondone, Trento, Italy
Int J Med Microbiol 297:53-9. 2007..5%, 2.3%, 0.9%, 1.9%, respectively. These high mutation rates within genospecies suggest that the sequencing of haplotypes should continue if we are to fully understand and monitor the evolution and epidemiology of Borrelia...
- Prevalence of Bartonella henselae in Italian stray cats: evaluation of serology to assess the risk of transmission of Bartonella to humansMassimo Fabbi
Sezione Diagnostica di Pavia, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Lombardia e dell Emilia Romagna Bruno Ubertini, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 42:264-8. 2004..Nevertheless, both blood culture assays and serological tests for Bartonella infection should be performed for a complete evaluation of the health status of cats...
- Echinococcus ortleppi and E. granulosus G1, G2 and G3 genotypes in Italian bovinesAdriano Casulli
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Vet Parasitol 155:168-72. 2008..Fertile cysts were detected only in the lungs of 4.5% of the total G1 lung cysts, of 9.4% of the total G3 lung cysts, and in the only G5 infected animal. This is the first report of Echinococcus ortleppi (genotype G5) in Italy...