Affiliation: University of Padova
- Reorienting of spatial attention in gaze cuing is reflected in N2pcGiovanni Galfano
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, Universitàdi Padova, Italy
Soc Neurosci 6:257-69. 2011..The overall findings support the idea that the effects of facial expression on gaze cuing are weak and likely context-dependent...
- Eye gaze cannot be ignored (but neither can arrows)Giovanni Galfano
Department of Developmental and Social Psychology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Q J Exp Psychol (Hove) 65:1895-910. 2012..This suggests that the orienting of attention mediated by gaze and arrows can be considered as strongly automatic...
- Neurophysiological markers of retrieval-induced forgetting in multiplication fact retrievalGiovanni Galfano
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, University of Padova, Via Venezia 8, Padua, Italy
Psychophysiology 48:1681-91. 2011..These results suggest that beneficial and detrimental effects of practice may be mediated by partially distinct processes...
- Event-related brain potentials uncover activation dynamics in the lexicon of multiplication factsGiovanni Galfano
Department of Developmental and Social Psychology, University of Padua, Italy
Cortex 45:1167-77. 2009....
- Change detection evokes a Simon-like effectGiovanni Galfano
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, Universita di Padova, Via Venezia, 8, 35131 I Padova, Italy
Acta Psychol (Amst) 127:186-96. 2008..Overall, our findings show that a Simon-like effect can only be observed under conditions of explicit change detection, likely because a shift of attention towards the change location has occurred...
- Number magnitude orients attention, but not against one's willGiovanni Galfano
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, Universita di Padova, Padua, Italy
Psychon Bull Rev 13:869-74. 2006..Experiment 3 corroborated this pattern by comparing gaze- and number-mediated cuing under conditions of real counterpredictiveness.The results indicate that unlike gaze-driven orienting, number-mediated orienting is not obligatory...
- Long-lasting capture of tactile attention by body shadowsGiovanni Galfano
Department of Cognitive Sciences and Education, University of Trento, Via Matteo del Ben, 5, 38068, Rovereto, TN, Italy
Exp Brain Res 166:518-27. 2005..Our results suggest that body shadows can induce a long-lasting capture of tactile attention for stimuli at the body itself...
- Microsaccadic response during inhibition of return in a target-target paradigmElena Betta
Department of Cognitive Sciences and Education, University of Trento, Via Matteo del Ben, 5 I 38068 Rovereto, Italy
Vision Res 47:428-36. 2007..The results are consistent with the notion that IOR is composed of both attentional and oculomotor components, and challenge the view that covert orienting paradigms engage the attentional component in isolation...
- Bidirectional links in the network of multiplication factsElena Rusconi
Universita degli Studi di Padova, Via Venezia 8, 35131 Padova, Italy
Psychol Res 70:32-42. 2006..We suggest this may constitute the basis for the solution of simple divisions by mediation through the complementary multiplication facts...
- Automatic activation of multiplication facts: evidence from the nodes adjacent to the productGiovanni Galfano
University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Q J Exp Psychol A 56:31-61. 2003..Taken together the present findings suggest that multiplication facts are stored in a highly related network in which activation spreads from the product node to adjacent nodes...
- Word position affects stimulus recognition: evidence for early ERP short-term plastic modulationChiara Spironelli
Department of General Psychology, University of Padova, Via Venezia 8, 35131 Padova, Italy
Int J Psychophysiol 82:217-24. 2011..Results support the view that short-term plastic changes occurring in a linguistic learning task interact with both stimulus position and modality (written word vs. picture representation)...
- Electrophysiological correlates of stimulus-driven multiplication facts retrievalGiovanni Galfano
Dipartimento di Scienze della Cognizione e della Formazione, Universita di Trento, Via M Del Ben, 5, 38068 Rovereto, Italy
Neuropsychologia 42:1370-82. 2004....
- Space-independent modality-driven attentional capture in auditory, tactile and visual systemsMassimo Turatto
University of Trento, Rovereto, Italy
Exp Brain Res 155:301-10. 2004..The present results cannot be accounted for by spatial artifacts, response priming or criterion shifts, and are interpreted as the consequence of a space-independent attentional shift across sensory modalities...
- Social status gates social attention in humansMario Dalmaso
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Biol Lett 8:450-2. 2012....
- Inhibition of return in microsaccadesGiovanni Galfano
Department of Cognitive Science and Education, University of Trento, Via Matteo del Ben 5, 38068 Rovereto, Italy
Exp Brain Res 159:400-4. 2004..Because microsaccades are known not to be under conscious control, our results suggest strong links between IOR and unconscious oculomotor programming...
- Racial group membership is associated to gaze-mediated orienting in ItalyGiulia Pavan
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, Universita di Padova, Padova, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e25608. 2011..A final experiment ruled out an alternative explanation based on differences in perceptual familiarity with the face stimuli. Overall, these findings strengthen the idea that gaze-mediated orienting is a socially-connoted phenomenon...
- Stimulus-driven attentional capture: An empirical comparison of display-size and distance methodsMassimo Turatto
Department of Cognition Sciences and Education, University of Trenton, Rovereto, Italy
Q J Exp Psychol A 57:297-324. 2004....
- Nonspatial attentional shifts between audition and visionMassimo Turatto
Department of General Psychology, University of Padua, Italy
J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 28:628-39. 2002..The authors suggest that such cross-modal limitation can be produced by simply presenting S1 and S2 in different modalities and that central processing mechanisms are also, at least partially, modality dependent...
- Capacity and contextual constraints on product activation: evidence from task-irrelevant fact retrievalElena Rusconi
Department of General Psychology, University of Padua, Via Venezia 8, 35131 Padua, Italy
Q J Exp Psychol A 57:1485-511. 2004..Furthermore, we suggest the application of a contextual definition of automaticity to this kind of retrieval, given the fact that it might depend both on association strength and on contextual setting variables...
- Self-attributed body-shadows modulate tactile attentionFrancesco Pavani
Department of Cognitive Science and Education, University of Trento, via Matteo del Ben 5 B, 38068 Rovereto, Italy
Cognition 104:73-88. 2007..Thus, recognising oneself as the owner of a shadow affects distribution of tactile attention...
- Breaking ranks: space and number may march to the beat of a different drumElena Rusconi
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, University College London, London, UK
Cortex 42:1124-7. 2006..By pointing to a difference between peripheral onsets and numerical targets, indeed, their finding suggests that the hypothesis of a complete overlap between Simon and SNARC effects is less plausible than a partial overlap hypothesis...