Affiliation: University of Padova
- Foresta C, Zuccarello D, Garolla A, Ferlin A. Role of hormones, genes, and environment in human cryptorchidism. Endocr Rev. 2008;29:560-80 pubmed publisher..Obviously, the interaction of environmental and genetic factors is fundamental, and many aspects have been clarified only recently. ..
- Garolla A, Cosci I, Bertoldo A, Sartini B, Boudjema E, Foresta C. DNA double strand breaks in human spermatozoa can be predictive for assisted reproductive outcome. Reprod Biomed Online. 2015;31:100-7 pubmed publisher..05 and P < 0.01). Î³H2AX assay is more predictive of ICSI outcome than TUNEL in infertile couples with male factor infertility. ..
- Foresta C, Caretta N, Zuccarello D, Poletti A, Biagioli A, Caretti L, et al. Expression of the PDE5 enzyme on human retinal tissue: new aspects of PDE5 inhibitors ocular side effects. Eye (Lond). 2008;22:144-9 pubmed
- Garolla A, De Toni L, Bottacin A, Valente U, De Rocco Ponce M, Di Nisio A, et al. Human Papillomavirus Prophylactic Vaccination improves reproductive outcome in infertile patients with HPV semen infection: a retrospective study. Sci Rep. 2018;8:912 pubmed publisher..HPV detection on sperms was predictive of negative pregnancy outcome. Adjuvant vaccination associated with enhanced HPV healing in semen cells and increased rate of natural pregnancies and live births. ..
- D Aurora M, Ferlin A, Di Nicola M, Garolla A, De Toni L, Franchi S, et al. Deregulation of sertoli and leydig cells function in patients with Klinefelter syndrome as evidenced by testis transcriptome analysis. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:156 pubmed publisher..These findings may represent a critical roadmap for therapeutic intervention and prevention of KS-related testis failure. ..
- Foresta C, Ferlin A, Bertoldo A, Patassini C, Zuccarello D, Garolla A. Human papilloma virus in the sperm cryobank: an emerging problem?. Int J Androl. 2011;34:242-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to understand whether screening for HPV should be performed in all semen samples before sperm banking or before intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection procedures. ..
- Foresta C, Bertoldo A, Garolla A, Pizzol D, Mason S, Lenzi A, et al. Human papillomavirus proteins are found in peripheral blood and semen Cd20+ and Cd56+ cells during HPV-16 semen infection. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:593 pubmed publisher..However, the presence of HPV markers in circulating mononuclear cells raise concerns about the risk of developing cancers to distal organs. ..
- Di Nisio A, De Toni L, Ferigo M, Rocca M, Speltra E, Ferlin A, et al. D-Aspartic acid stimulates steroidogenesis through the delay of LH receptor internalization in a mammalian Leydig cell line. J Endocrinol Invest. 2016;39:207-13 pubmed publisher..In addition, we showed that the possible mechanism subtending the effect of d-Asp could rely on the modulation of LHR exposure on the cell membrane. ..
- Foresta C, Bettella A, Vinanzi C, Dabrilli P, Meriggiola M, Garolla A, et al. A novel circulating hormone of testis origin in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:5952-8 pubmed..Analysis of men treated with different combinations of hormones of the hypothalamus-pituitary-testis axis suggests that the production of INSL3 is related to LH in a manner similar to that of the LH-testosterone axis. ..
- Foresta C, Tescari S, Di Nisio A. Impact of perfluorochemicals on human health and reproduction: a male's perspective. J Endocrinol Invest. 2018;41:639-645 pubmed publisher..These findings clearly suggest an antiandrogenic potential of PFCs and a link between endocrine disruptors and disorders of male health. ..
- Foresta C, Garolla A, Zuccarello D, Pizzol D, Moretti A, Barzon L, et al. Human papillomavirus found in sperm head of young adult males affects the progressive motility. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:802-6 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the prevalence of human papillomavirus (HPV) sperm infection and its correlation with sperm parameters in a cohort of young adult males...
- Foresta C, Di Mambro A, Pagano C, Garolla A, Vettor R, Ferlin A. Insulin-like factor 3 as a marker of testicular function in obese men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009;71:722-6 pubmed publisher..INSL3 is a reliable marker of Leydig cell general impairment, whereas T mainly reflects the steroidogenic activity of these cells. ..
- Foresta C, De Toni L, Biagioli A, Ganz F, Magagna S, Caretta N. Increased levels of osteocalcin-positive endothelial progenitor cells in patients affected by erectile dysfunction and cavernous atherosclerosis. J Sex Med. 2010;7:751-7 pubmed publisher..Recently, increased levels of osteocalcin (OCN)-positive EPC have been reported in coronary patients...
- Foresta C, Strapazzon G, De Toni L, Gianesello L, Calcagno A, Pilon C, et al. Evidence for osteocalcin production by adipose tissue and its role in human metabolism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:3502-6 pubmed publisher..OCN is present in the first phases of adipogenesis but also in human AT ex vivo. AT releases, in vitro, both ucOCN and cOCN, suggesting a possible link between AT and OCN in the regulation of metabolism. ..
- Foresta C, Garolla A, Bartoloni L, Bettella A, Ferlin A. Genetic abnormalities among severely oligospermic men who are candidates for intracytoplasmic sperm injection. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:152-6 pubmed..Genetic tests and genetic counseling should therefore be considered in oligozoospermic men who are candidates for intracytoplasmic sperm injection...
- Foresta C, Selice R, De Toni L, Di Mambro A, Carraro U, Plebani M, et al. Altered bone status in unilateral testicular cancer survivors: Role of CYP2R1 and its luteinizing hormone-dependency. J Endocrinol Invest. 2013;36:379-84 pubmed publisher..Our data show an association between TC and alteration of the bone status, despite unvaried androgen and estrogen levels, suggesting the evaluation of bone status and possible vitamin D deficiency in TC survivors. ..
- Foresta C, Strapazzon G, De Toni L, Perilli L, Di Mambro A, Muciaccia B, et al. Bone mineral density and testicular failure: evidence for a role of vitamin D 25-hydroxylase in human testis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E646-52 pubmed publisher..Further studies in larger cohorts are needed to confirm our results. ..