Affiliation: University of Palermo
- Frovatriptan versus almotriptan for acute treatment of menstrual migraine: analysis of a double-blind, randomized, cross-over, multicenter, Italian, comparative studyMarco Bartolini
Clinica Neurologica, Ospedali Riuniti, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
J Headache Pain 13:401-6. 2012..05). Frovatriptan was as effective as almotriptan in the immediate treatment of menstrually related migraine attacks. However, it showed a more favorable sustained effect, as shown by a lower rate of migraine recurrence...
- A double-blind, randomized, multicenter, Italian study of frovatriptan versus almotriptan for the acute treatment of migraineMarco Bartolini
G D Annunzio University, Chieti, Italy
J Headache Pain 12:361-8. 2011..18%). The tolerability profile was similar between the two drugs. In conclusion, our study suggests that frovatriptan has a similar efficacy of almotriptan in the short-term, while some advantages are observed during long-term treatment...
- Modulation of pain perception by transcranial magnetic stimulation of left prefrontal cortexFilippo Brighina
Dip di Biomedicine Sperimentali e Neuroscienze Cliniche BioNeC, University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia, 1, 90129 Palermo, Italy
J Headache Pain 12:185-91. 2011..This could open new perspectives to non-invasive brain stimulation protocols of alternative target area for pain treatment...
- High-frequency transcranial magnetic stimulation on motor cortex of patients affected by migraine with aura: a way to restore normal cortical excitability?F Brighina
Dipartimento Universitario di Neuroscienze Cliniche, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Cephalalgia 30:46-52. 2010..These findings raise the possibility that the interictal reduced intracortical inhibition in migraine could be normalized by high-frequency rTMS. This would open perspectives for new treatment strategies in migraine prevention...
- Modulation of intracortical inhibition induced by low- and high-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulationB Fierro
Istituto di Neuropsichiatria, Universita di Palermo, Italy
Exp Brain Res 138:452-7. 2001..The findings show that rTMS changes the duration of cortical SPs; the effect is probably due to the modulation of intracortical inhibitory interneurons depending on the frequency and intensity of stimulation...
- Illusory contours and specific regions of human extrastriate cortex: evidence from rTMSF Brighina
Neurophysiological Unit, University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia 1, 90129 Palermo, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 17:2469-74. 2003..This study supports the critical role of right extrastriate cortex in illusory contour perception...
- 1 Hz rTMS enhances extrastriate cortex activity in migraine: evidence of a reduced inhibition?B Fierro
Neurophysiological Unit, University of Palermo, Italy
Neurology 61:1446-8. 2003..This finding supports the view of a failure of inhibitory circuits also involving the extrastriate cortex in migraine with aura...
- Timing of right parietal and frontal cortex activity in visuo-spatial perception: a TMS study in normal individualsB Fierro
Neurophysiological Unit, Institute of Neuropsychiatry, Via G. La Loggia 1, University of Palermo, Italy
Neuroreport 12:2605-7. 2001..Relative transitory rightward bias was observed only when parietal TMS was delivered 150 ms after visual stimulus presentation. Frontal stimulation induced no effect on visuo-spatial perception with the time intervals explored...
- rTMS of the unaffected hemisphere transiently reduces contralesional visuospatial hemineglectM Oliveri
Neurophysiological Unit, University of Torino, Italy
Neurology 57:1338-40. 2001..Parietal rTMS of the unaffected hemisphere during the execution of a computerized task of bisected line's length judgment transiently decreased the magnitude of neglect as expressed in the number of errors...
- 1 Hz repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the unaffected hemisphere ameliorates contralesional visuospatial neglect in humansF Brighina
Neurophysiological Unit, Institute of Neuropsychiatry, University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia, 1, 90129 Palermo, Italy
Neurosci Lett 336:131-3. 2003..rTMS induced a significant improvement of visuo-spatial performance that remained quite unchanged 15 days after. Patients performance at Time 3 and 4 improved also as concerns line bisection and clock drawing tasks...
- Effects of cerebellar TMS on motor cortex of patients with focal dystonia: a preliminary reportF Brighina
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia, 1, 90129, Palermo, Italy
Exp Brain Res 192:651-6. 2009..If further confirmed, these findings suggest a reduced cerebellar modulation of motor cortex excitability in patients with focal dystonia...
- Does habituation depend on cortical inhibition? Results of an rTMS study in healthy subjectsA Palermo
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze Cliniche, University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia 1, 90129 Palermo, Italy
Exp Brain Res 212:101-7. 2011..As LD acts reducing GABA circuits activity and hf-rTMS likely upregulates such circuits, these data give support to the hypothesis that cortical inhibition can play a relevant role in mechanisms underlying habituation...
- Prognostic value of somatosensory evoked potentials in strokeB Fierro
Department of Neurology, University of Palermo, Italy
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 39:155-60. 1999..Moreover changes in amplitude appeared more frequent and permanent than the latency abnormalities...
- Visuospatial attention lateralization in volleyball players and in rowersG Giglia
Department of Experimental Biomedicine and Clinical Neuroscience BioNeC, University of Palermo, Italy
Percept Mot Skills 112:915-25. 2011..If such responses are due to training rather than self-selection of ability, then the results may suggest the possibility of changing the distribution of visuospatial attention by training in open-skill sports...
- Role of the cerebellum in time perception: a TMS study in normal subjectsB Fierro
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Palermo, Italy
J Neurol Sci 263:107-12. 2007..These findings suggest that the cerebellum plays a role in merely perceptive aspects of temporal information processing...
- A painful tic convulsif due to double neurovascular impingementG Giglia
Department of Experimental Biomedicine and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia, 1, 90129, Palermo, Italy
J Headache Pain 12:653-6. 2011..i.d. that was able to reduce attacks from 4 to 6 times per day to 1 to 2 per week. Considering the good response to the drug, the neurosurgeon decided to delay surgical treatment...
- A transcranial magnetic stimulation study evaluating methylprednisolone treatment in multiple sclerosisB Fierro
Institute of Neuropsichiatry, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Acta Neurol Scand 105:152-7. 2002..To investigate the efficacy of two different high doses of intravenous methylprednisolone (IVMP) during Multiple Sclerosis (MS) relapses...
- A case of post-traumatic complex auditory hallucinosis treated with rTMSG Cosentino
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Neurocase 16:267-72. 2010..This case provides initial evidence that rTMS may be a successful treatment of syndromes associated with hyperactive brain areas...
- Hypo-excitability of cortical areas in patients affected by Friedreich ataxia: a TMS studyF Brighina
Dipartimento di Nerurologia, Oftalmologia, Otorinolaringoiatria e Psichiatria, Universita di Palermo, Italy
J Neurol Sci 235:19-22. 2005..The cortical involvement in these patients seems to be mainly genetically determined. The study provides the first evidence of cortical dysfunction in patients with genetically defined Friedreich ataxia...
- Neglect-like effects induced by tDCS modulation of posterior parietal cortices in healthy subjectsG Giglia
Department of Experimental Biomedicine and Clinical Neurosciences University of Palermo, Via G La Loggia, 1 90100 Palermo, Italy
Brain Stimul 4:294-9. 2011..Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is another noninvasive brain stimulation technique that works modulating cortical activity. It is applied through easy to use, noncostly, and portable devices...
- Dropped head as an unusual presenting sign of myasthenia gravisN Di Benedetto
Dipartimento Universitario di Neuroscienze Cliniche, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Via Gaetano La Loggia 1, I 90129 Palermo, Italy
Neurol Sci 28:104-6. 2007..The case we describe concerns a 61-year-old woman with dropped-head syndrome as the unique complaint of myasthenia gravis...
- Auditory event-related potentials (P300) in epileptic patientsG Caravaglios
Institute of Neuropsychiatry, University of Palermo, Via Gaetano La Loggia, 1, 90129 Palermo, Italy
Neurophysiol Clin 31:121-9. 2001....
- When nominal features are marked on verbs: a transcranial magnetic stimulation studyC Finocchiaro
Center for Mind Brain Sciences CIMeC, Università di Trento and Dipartimento di Scienze della Cognizione e della Formazione DiSCoF, Universita di Trento, Italy
Brain Lang 104:113-21. 2008..However, the interference effect was significantly greater for the verb+clitic than for the verb+det+noun phrases. These findings support the view that clitics increase the morphosyntactic complexity of verbs...
- Cortical hypoactivity or reduced efficiency of cortical inhibition in migraine?F Brighina
Cephalalgia 27:187-8; author reply 188-9. 2007