Affiliation: University of Pavia
- Derosa G, Cicero A, D Angelo A, Fogari E, Salvadeo S, Gravina A, et al. Metabolic and antihypertensive effects of moxonidine and moxonidine plus irbesartan in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and mild hypertension: a sequential, randomized, double-blind clinical trial. Clin Ther. 2007;29:602-10 pubmed..In these patients with type 2 diabetes and mild hypertension, the M0.4 group had greater improvements in measures of glucose metabolism and the plasma lipid profile compared with those treated with M0.2+1. ..
- Derosa G, Romano D, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. Berberis aristata/Silybum marianum fixed combination (Berberol(Â®)) effects on lipid profile in dyslipidemic patients intolerant to statins at high dosages: a randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial. Phytomedicine. 2015;22:231-7 pubmed publisher..our study displays the rationale of the combination of Berberol(Â®) and a reduced dosage of statin for the treatment of hyperlipidemia in patients intolerant to statins at high dosage. ..
- Derosa G, Romano D, Tinelli C, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. Prevalence and associations of erectile dysfunction in a sample of Italian males with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2015;108:329-35 pubmed publisher..05) and free testosterone was lower in patients affected by ED. Almost half of type 2 diabetic patients attending our clinic were affected by ED and glycemic control seems to play a role in ED pathogenesis. ..
- Derosa G, Bonaventura A, Bianchi L, Romano D, D Angelo A, Fogari E, et al. Berberis aristata/Silybum marianum fixed combination on lipid profile and insulin secretion in dyslipidemic patients. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2013;13:1495-506 pubmed publisher..No patients had serious adverse events in both groups. Berberis aristata/Silybum marianum is effective and safe in improving lipid profile and insulin secretion in euglycemic dyslipidemic patients. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P. Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors: 3 years of experience. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2012;14:350-64 pubmed publisher..They also have positive effects on ?-cell function, and they have neutral effects on body weight. Furthermore, DPP-4 inhibitors prevent the risk of hypoglycemia posed by sulfonylureas. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P. GLP-1 agonists exenatide and liraglutide: a review about their safety and efficacy. Curr Clin Pharmacol. 2012;7:214-28 pubmed..GLP-1 receptor agonists should be considered also in patients in therapy with metformin and another agent, such as a sulfonylurea, because of the minor risk of developing hypoglycemia and the positive effect on body weight. ..
- Derosa G, Mugellini A, Pesce R, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. Perindopril and barnidipine alone or combined with simvastatin on hepatic steatosis and inflammatory parameters in hypertensive patients. Eur J Pharmacol. 2015;766:31-6 pubmed publisher..We can conclude that barnidipine better reduced blood pressure compared to perindopril and inflammatory parameters. Regarding hepatic steatosis parameters, only the addition of simvastatin improved them. NCT02064218, ClinicalTrials.gov. ..
- Derosa G, Catena G, Raddino R, Gaudio G, Maggi A, D Angelo A, et al. Effects on oral fat load of a nutraceutical combination of fermented red rice, sterol esters and stanols, curcumin, and olive polyphenols: A randomized, placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2018;42:75-82 pubmed publisher..The true novelty of this study, however, is the improvement of endothelial damage after an oral fat load compared to placebo. ..
- Derosa G, D Angelo A, Fogari E, Salvadeo S, Gravina A, Ferrari I, et al. Effects of nateglinide and glibenclamide on prothrombotic factors in naïve type 2 diabetic patients treated with metformin: a 1-year, double-blind, randomized clinical trial. Intern Med. 2007;46:1837-46 pubmed..05), whereas the glibenclamide-treated patients did not. Nateglinide appears to improve glycemic control as well as the levels of some prothrombotic parameters compared to glibenclamide when administered in combination with metformin. ..
- Derosa G, Libetta C, Esposito P, Borettaz I, Tinelli C, D Angelo A, et al. Bicarbonate dialysis compared to hemodiafiltration on glycemic excursions in patients with end-stage renal disease with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes Complications. 2015;29:1136-41 pubmed publisher..The MODD value was significantly changed in BHD group, while no differences were recorded during HDF. HDF seems to greater reduce glycemic excursions during the treatment compared to BHD. ..
- Derosa G, Romano D, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. Berberis aristata combined with Silybum marianum on lipid profile in patients not tolerating statins at high doses. Atherosclerosis. 2015;239:87-92 pubmed publisher..aristata/S. marianum). We did not record any variations of safety parameters in nether of groups. B. aristata/S. marianum can be considered as addition to statins in patients not tolerating high dose of these drugs. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Salvadeo S, Ferrari I, Ragonesi P, Querci F, et al. Exenatide versus glibenclamide in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2010;12:233-40 pubmed publisher..Both exenatide and glibenclamide gave a similar improvement of glycemic control, but only exenatide gave improvements of insulin resistance and beta-cell function, giving also a decrease of body weight and of inflammatory state. ..
- Derosa G, Mugellini A, Pesce R, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. A study about the relevance of adding acetylsalicylic acid in primary prevention in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus: effects on some new emerging biomarkers of cardiovascular risk. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2015;14:95 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the use of ASA in primary prevention could be useful in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension. ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT02064218. ..
- Derosa G, Cicero A, Franzetti I, Querci F, Carbone A, Piccinni M, et al. A comparison between sitagliptin or glibenclamide in addition to metformin + pioglitazone on glycaemic control and ?-cell function: the triple oral therapy. Diabet Med. 2013;30:846-54 pubmed publisher..Sitagliptin should be preferred to glibenclamide as an addition to the metformin + pioglitazone combination for its better protection of ?-cell secretion and its neutral effect on body weight. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P. Efficacy and safety profile evaluation of acarbose alone and in association with other antidiabetic drugs: a systematic review. Clin Ther. 2012;34:1221-36 pubmed publisher..Long-term studies are needed to determine whether the effects observed with acarbose use are maintained over the years. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, D Angelo A, Salvadeo S, Ferrari I, Fogari E, et al. Effects of long chain omega-3 fatty acids on metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in combined dyslipidemia patients. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009;10:1239-47 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, lowers levels of MMP-2, MMP-9 and their tissue inhibitors are obtained with n-3 PUFAs compared to placebo. ..
- Derosa G, D Angelo A, Romano D, Maffioli P. A Clinical Trial about a Food Supplement Containing ?-Lipoic Acid on Oxidative Stress Markers in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed..We can conclude that the food supplement containing ?-lipoic acid, L-carnosin, zinc, and vitamins of group B improved glycemic control, lipid profile, and anti-oxidative stress markers. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Reiner Z, Simental Mendia L, Sahebkar A. Impact of Statin Therapy on Plasma Uric Acid Concentrations: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Drugs. 2016;76:947-56 pubmed publisher..Atorvastatin and simvastatin, but not the other statins, can reduce serum uric acid levels. ..
- Derosa G, Mugellini A, Pesce R, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. Barnidipine compared to lercanidipine in addition to losartan on endothelial damage and oxidative stress parameters in patients with hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2016;16:66 pubmed publisher..Barnidipine + losartan gave an improvement of some parameters indicative of endothelial damage and oxidative stress in diabetic and hypertensive patients. NCT02064218 , ClinicalTrials.gov. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Sahebkar A. Ellagic Acid and Its Role in Chronic Diseases. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;928:473-479 pubmed..The aim of this chapter will be to summarize potential benefits of ellagic acid supplementation in chronic diseases. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Sahebkar A. Auraptene and Its Role in Chronic Diseases. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;929:399-407 pubmed..The aim of this chapter is to review the effects of auraptene in the prevention and treatment of different chronic diseases. ..
- Derosa G, Mereu R, D Angelo A, Salvadeo S, Ferrari I, Fogari E, et al. Effect of pioglitazone and acarbose on endothelial inflammation biomarkers during oral glucose tolerance test in diabetic patients treated with sulphonylureas and metformin. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2010;35:565-79 pubmed publisher..Pioglitazone reduces the inflammatory response to a glucose challenge more than acarbose in type 2 diabetic patients, already treated with maximal doses of sulphonylureas and metformin. ..
- Derosa G, Bonaventura A, Bianchi L, Romano D, D Angelo A, Fogari E, et al. Effects of canrenone in patients with metabolic syndrome. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2013;14:2161-9 pubmed publisher..Canrenone seems to be effective in reducing some factors involved in metabolic syndrome and in improving insulin-resistance and the inflammatory state observed in these patients. ..
- Derosa G, Franzetti I, Querci F, Carbone A, Ciccarelli L, Piccinni M, et al. Variation in inflammatory markers and glycemic parameters after 12 months of exenatide plus metformin treatment compared with metformin alone: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Pharmacotherapy. 2013;33:817-26 pubmed publisher..The combination of exenatide plus metformin was more effective than metformin alone in improving glycemic control, ?-cell function, and inflammatory parameters. ..
- Derosa G, Libetta C, Esposito P, Borettaz I, Tinelli C, D Angelo A, et al. Effects of two different dialytic treatments on inflammatory markers in people with end-stage renal disease with and without type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cytokine. 2017;92:75-79 pubmed publisher..We can conclude that hemodiafiltration seems to greater reduce inflammatory markers, and it could be more suitable for people with type 2 diabetes. Registration number: ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01049152. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Sahebkar A. Piperine and Its Role in Chronic Diseases. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;928:173-184 pubmed..The aim of this chapter is to summarize the effects of piperine, alone or in combination with other drugs and phytochemicals, in chronic diseases. ..
- Derosa G, D Angelo A, Maffioli P. The role of a fixed Berberis aristata/Silybum marianum combination in the treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Clin Nutr. 2016;35:1091-5 pubmed publisher..The addition of B. aristata/S. marianum to insulin therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus leads to a reduction of the insulin dose necessary to have an adequate glycemic control. ..
- Derosa G, D Angelo A, Romano D, Maffioli P. Evaluation of the Effects of Mesoglycan on Some Markers of Endothelial Damage and Walking Distance in Diabetic Patients with Peripheral Arterial Disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to evaluate the variation of some parameters involved in peripheral artery disease progression in diabetic patients with peripheral artery disease after six months of mesoglycan [...]. ..
- Derosa G, Salvadeo S, D Angelo A, Ferrari I, Mereu R, Palumbo I, et al. Metabolic effect of repaglinide or acarbose when added to a double oral antidiabetic treatment with sulphonylureas and metformin: a double-blind, cross-over, clinical trial. Curr Med Res Opin. 2009;25:607-15 pubmed
- Derosa G, Cicero A, Scalise F, Avanzini M, Tinelli C, Piccinni M, et al. Metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in diabetic and nondiabetic subjects during acute coronary syndromes. Endothelium. 2007;14:45-51 pubmed..MMP-9, TIMP-1, and TIMP-2 plasma levels were increased in diabetic patients with ACSs, which may reflect abnormal extracellular matrix metabolism in diabetes during acute event. ..
- Derosa G, Ferrari I, D Angelo A, Tinelli C, Salvadeo S, Ciccarelli L, et al. Matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 levels in obese patients. Endothelium. 2008;15:219-24 pubmed publisher..MMP-2 and MMP-9 levels were significantly higher in obese group (p< .0001). Plasma levels of MMP-2 and MMP-9 are increased in obese patients which may reflect abnormal ECM metabolism. ..
- Derosa G, Ferrari I, D Angelo A, Salvadeo S, Fogari E, Gravina A, et al. Oral fat load effects on inflammation and endothelial stress markers in healthy subjects. Heart Vessels. 2009;24:204-10 pubmed publisher..05 vs 0), and +28.57% at 12 h. We observed that the OFL induces a complex and massive systemic inflammatory response that includes IL-6, TNF-alpha, hsCRP, and cell adhesion molecules, even before Tg significantly rises. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Ferrari I, Mereu R, Ragonesi P, Querci F, et al. Effects of one year treatment of vildagliptin added to pioglitazone or glimepiride in poorly controlled type 2 diabetic patients. Horm Metab Res. 2010;42:663-9 pubmed publisher..Pioglitazone plus vildagliptin were found to be more effective in preserving beta-cell function, and in reducing insulin resistance, and inflammatory state parameters. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Salvadeo S, Ferrari I, Gravina A, Mereu R, et al. Sibutramine and L-carnitine compared to sibutramine alone on insulin resistance in diabetic patients. Intern Med. 2010;49:1717-25 pubmed..Furthermore, only sibutramine plus L-carnitine improved Tg, and visfatin. Sibutramine plus L-carnitine gave a faster improvement of lipid profile, insulin resistance parameters, glycemic control, and body weight compared to sibutramine. ..
- Derosa G, Maffioli P, Ferrari I, Palumbo I, Randazzo S, D Angelo A, et al. Effects of one year treatment of sibutramine on insulin resistance parameters in type 2 diabetic patients. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2010;13:378-90 pubmed..Sibutramine gave a faster improvement of insulin resistance parameters and glycemic control compared to placebo; furthermore sibutramine gave also an improvement of lipid profile, and body weight. ..
- Derosa G, Ragonesi P, Carbone A, Fogari E, Bianchi L, Bonaventura A, et al. Vildagliptin added to metformin on ?-cell function after a euglycemic hyperinsulinemic and hyperglycemic clamp in type 2 diabetes patients. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2012;14:475-84 pubmed publisher..The addition of vildagliptin to metformin gave a better improvement of glycemic control, insulin resistance, and ?-cell function compared with metformin alone. ..
- Derosa G, D Angelo A, Tinelli C, Devangelio E, Consoli A, Miccoli R, et al. Evaluation of metalloproteinase 2 and 9 levels and their inhibitors in diabetic and healthy subjects. Diabetes Metab. 2007;33:129-34 pubmed..0001) in the diabetic group. Plasma levels of MMP-2, MMP-9, TIMP-1, and TIMP-2 are increased in diabetic patients which may reflect abnormal extracellular matrix (ECM) metabolism. ..
- Derosa G, D Angelo A, Salvadeo S, Ferrari I, Fogari E, Gravina A, et al. Oral glucose tolerance test effects on endothelial inflammation markers in healthy subjects and diabetic patients. Horm Metab Res. 2010;42:8-13 pubmed publisher..Type 2 diabetics experienced, however, a more significant increase in TNF-alpha, and sE-selectin. ..
- Derosa G, Ragonesi P, Carbone A, Fogari E, D Angelo A, Cicero A, et al. Vildagliptin action on some adipocytokine levels in type 2 diabetic patients: a 12-month, placebo-controlled study. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2012;13:2581-91 pubmed publisher..Vildagliptin + metformin also decreased resistin, RBP-4, and chemerin better. Vildagliptin seems to have a positive action on some adipocytokines related to inflammation. ..