Genomes and Genes
Raffaele De Caterina
Affiliation: University of Chieti
- De Caterina R, Husted S, Wallentin L, Agnelli G, Bachmann F, Baigent C, et al. Anticoagulants in heart disease: current status and perspectives. Eur Heart J. 2007;28:880-913 pubmed
- De Caterina R, Kristensen S, Renda G. New anticoagulants for atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2009;10:446-53 pubmed publisher..Cardiologists need to be aware of the explosive pharmacological literature being accrued with these new drugs, as most of these will likely enter the clinical arena in the near future. ..
- Yang Z, Shen Y, Shen W, Pu L, Meng H, Zhang R, et al. Elevated glycated albumin and reduced endogenous secretory receptor for advanced glycation endproducts levels in serum predict major adverse cardio-cerebral events in patients with type 2 diabetes and stable coronary artery disease. Int J Cardiol. 2015;197:241-7 pubmed publisher..Serum GA and esRAGE are novel predictors of long-term clinical outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and stable CAD. Increased serum GA and decreased esRAGE are associated with a poor prognosis in such patients. ..
- Renda G, Di Nicola M, De Caterina R. Net Clinical Benefit of Non-vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants Versus Warfarin in Phase III Atrial Fibrillation Trials. Am J Med. 2015;128:1007-14.e2 pubmed publisher..However, all non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants have a better efficacy/safety profile than warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. ..
- De Innocentiis C, Caputi C, Pinto F, Quintiliani S, Meccariello A, Renda G, et al. Failure in evoking the trigeminal cardiac reflex by mandibular stretching in healthy volunteers. Arch Ital Biol. 2015;153:25-36 pubmed publisher..Despite attempts at maximum standardization of study condition and the use of operator-independent BP and HR measurements, we could not detect significant BP or HR effects of repeated mandibular stretching. ..
- Siller Matula J, Pecen L, Patti G, Lucerna M, Kirchhof P, Lesiak M, et al. Heart failure subtypes and thromboembolic risk in patients with atrial fibrillation: The PREFER in AF - HF substudy. Int J Cardiol. 2018;265:141-147 pubmed publisher..HFHpEF is a distinct and puzzling group, featuring the highest CHA2DS2-VASc score but the lowest residual risk of thromboembolic events, which warrants further investigation. ..
- Madonna R, Petrov L, Teberino M, Manzoli L, Karam J, Renna F, et al. Transplantation of adipose tissue mesenchymal cells conjugated with VEGF-releasing microcarriers promotes repair in murine myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Res. 2015;108:39-49 pubmed publisher..AT-MSCs conjugated with VEGF-releasing PAMs exert paracrine effects that may have therapeutic applications. ..
- De Caterina R, Madonna R, Bertolotto A, Schmidt E. n-3 fatty acids in the treatment of diabetic patients: biological rationale and clinical data. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:1012-26 pubmed
- Renda G, Committeri G, Zimarino M, Di Nicola M, Tatasciore A, Ruggieri B, et al. Genetic determinants of cognitive responses to caffeine drinking identified from a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25:798-807 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, variability in the attentional response to coffee may be partly explained by genetic polymorphisms of adenosine and adrenergic receptors. ..
- De Caterina R, Husted S, Wallentin L, Andreotti F, Arnesen H, Bachmann F, et al. New oral anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation and acute coronary syndromes: ESC Working Group on Thrombosis-Task Force on Anticoagulants in Heart Disease position paper. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:1413-25 pubmed publisher..Although convenient to administer and manage, they present challenges that need to be addressed. ..
- Capodanno D, De Caterina R. Bivalirudin for acute coronary syndromes: premises, promises and doubts. Thromb Haemost. 2015;113:698-707 pubmed publisher..Here we provide an up-to-date overview of the evidence on the use of bivalirudin in ACS, with focus on new data, open issues, and future directions. ..
- Ricci F, Fedorowski A, Radico F, Romanello M, Tatasciore A, Di Nicola M, et al. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality related to orthostatic hypotension: a meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Eur Heart J. 2015;36:1609-17 pubmed publisher..78 (1.25-2.52) for patients <65 years old, and 1.26 (0.99-1.62) in the older subgroup. Orthostatic hypotension is associated with a significantly increased risk of all-cause death, incident CHD, HF, and stroke. ..
- Del Turco S, Basta G, Lazzerini G, Chancharme L, Lerond L, De Caterina R. Involvement of the TP receptor in TNF-?-induced endothelial tissue factor expression. Vascul Pharmacol. 2014;62:49-56 pubmed publisher..The endothelial TP receptor contributes to TF surface exposure and activity induced not only by known TP receptor agonists, but also by TNF-?. Such findings expand the therapeutic potential of TP receptor inhibition. ..
- Madonna R, De Caterina R. Aquaporin-1 and sodium-hydrogen exchangers as pharmacological targets in diabetic atherosclerosis. Curr Drug Targets. 2015;16:361-5 pubmed..We here review current knowledge of NHEs and AQPs investigating biological aspects and mechanisms of their regulation, including their potential as target for developing new drugs that could target diabetic atherosclerosis. ..
- De Caterina R, Husted S, Wallentin L, Andreotti F, Arnesen H, Bachmann F, et al. General mechanisms of coagulation and targets of anticoagulants (Section I). Position Paper of the ESC Working Group on Thrombosis--Task Force on Anticoagulants in Heart Disease. Thromb Haemost. 2013;109:569-79 pubmed publisher..A number of new anticoagulants, already developed or under development, target specific steps in the process, inhibiting a single coagulation factor or mimicking natural coagulation inhibitors. ..
- Madonna R, Giovannelli G, Confalone P, Renna F, Geng Y, De Caterina R. High glucose-induced hyperosmolarity contributes to COX-2 expression and angiogenesis: implications for diabetic retinopathy. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016;15:18 pubmed publisher..Glucose-related hyperosmolarity seems to be able to promote angiogenesis and retinopathy through activation of TonEBP and possibly increasing expression of AQP1 and COX-2. Osmolarity signaling may be a target for therapy. ..
- Madonna R, Pieragostino D, Balistreri C, Rossi C, Geng Y, Del Boccio P, et al. Diabetic macroangiopathy: Pathogenetic insights and novel therapeutic approaches with focus on high glucose-mediated vascular damage. Vascul Pharmacol. 2018;: pubmed publisher..We also here highlight how new insights into pathogenic mechanisms of vascular damage in diabetes may indicate new targets for prevention and treatment. ..
- Briguori C, Madonna R, Zimarino M, Calabro P, Quintavalle C, Salomone M, et al. Rosuvastatin for Reduction of Myocardial Damage during Coronary Angioplasty - the Remedy Trial. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2016;30:465-472 pubmed..REMEDY will add important information on the cardioprotective effects of statins after PCI. ..
- De Caterina R, D Ugo E, Libby P. Inflammation and thrombosis - testing the hypothesis with anti-inflammatory drug trials. Thromb Haemost. 2016;116:1012-1021 pubmed
- Renda G, Ricci F, De Caterina R. Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants for Cardioversion in Atrial Fibrillation: An Updated Meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2017;130:457-461 pubmed publisher..Non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants are a reasonable alternative to vitamin K antagonists in patients undergoing cardioversion. ..
- Patti G, Lucerna M, Cavallari I, Ricottini E, Renda G, Pecen L, et al. Insulin-Requiring Versus Noninsulin-Requiring Diabetes and Thromboembolic Risk in PatientsÂ WithÂ Atrial Fibrillation: PREFER in AF. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:409-419 pubmed publisher..Conversely, insulin-requiring diabetes contributed most, if not exclusively, to the overall increase of thromboembolic risk in AF. ..
- Madonna R, De Caterina R. Circulating endothelial progenitor cells: Do they live up to their name?. Vascul Pharmacol. 2015;67-69:2-5 pubmed publisher..Here we briefly review the literature on EPCs and discuss their significance in cardiovascular disease both as mediators and as biomarkers, including current methods for their identification. ..
- De Caterina R, Lip G. The non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants (NOACs) and extremes of body weight-a systematic literature review. Clin Res Cardiol. 2017;106:565-572 pubmed publisher..In this article, we review the pertinent literature and analyze the effects of low or high body weight on anticoagulant activity and clinical outcomes of the NOACs, their dose recommendations, and areas of uncertainty. ..
- Renda G, Ricci F, Giugliano R, De Caterina R. Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation and Valvular Heart Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:1363-1371 pubmed publisher..01; 95% CI: 0.90 to 1.14 vs. RR: 0.88; 95% CI: 0.82 to 0.94, respectively; interaction p = 0.03). High-dose NOACs provide overall efficacy and safety similar in AF patients with or without VHD. ..
- De Caterina R, Ageno W, Boriani G, Colonna P, Ghirarduzzi A, Patti G, et al. Edoxaban in Atrial Fibrillation and Venous Thromboembolism-Ten Key Questions and Answers: A Practical Guide. Adv Ther. 2017;34:620-637 pubmed publisher..Here a group of experts in AF and VTE answers a set of questions on its practical use, trying to define the profile of patients that would be most appropriate for its use. ..
- Madonna R, Balistreri C, Geng Y, De Caterina R. Diabetic microangiopathy: Pathogenetic insights and novel therapeutic approaches. Vascul Pharmacol. 2017;90:1-7 pubmed publisher..We also highlight how new insights into pathogenic mechanisms of vascular damage in diabetes may indicate new targets for prevention and treatment. ..
- Renda G, Zimarino M, Ricci F, Piccini J, Ezekowitz M, Patel M, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants After Cardioversion for Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation. Am J Med. 2016;129:1117-1123.e2 pubmed publisher..Non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants are a reasonable alternative to VKAs in patients undergoing cardioversion. ..
- Cicchitti V, Radico F, Bianco F, Gallina S, Tonti G, De Caterina R. Heart failure due to right ventricular apical pacing: the importance of flow patterns. Europace. 2016;18:1679-1688 pubmed..This research line suggests the importance of studying intraventricular fluid dynamics as a new powerful tool for a more complete understanding of mechanisms involved, and ultimately to prevent pacing-related heart failure. ..
- De Caterina R, Andersson U, Alexander J, Al Khatib S, Bahit M, Goto S, et al. History of bleeding and outcomes with apixaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation in the Apixaban for Reduction in Stroke and Other Thromboembolic Events in Atrial Fibrillation trial. Am Heart J. 2016;175:175-83 pubmed publisher..However, the beneficial effects of apixaban over warfarin for stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, death, or major bleeding remains consistent regardless of history of bleeding. ..
- De Caterina R, Goto S. Targeting thrombin long-term after an acute coronary syndrome: Opportunities and challenges. Vascul Pharmacol. 2016;81:1-14 pubmed publisher..Translating this into practice still requires further studies and patient tailoring to fully exploit its potential. ..
- Massaro M, Scoditti E, Pellegrino M, Carluccio M, Calabriso N, Wabitsch M, et al. Therapeutic potential of the dual peroxisome proliferator activated receptor (PPAR)Î±/Î³ agonist aleglitazar in attenuating TNF-Î±-mediated inflammation and insulin resistance in human adipocytes. Pharmacol Res. 2016;107:125-136 pubmed publisher..The effect of aleglitazar was consistent with dual PPARÎ± and Î³ agonism, but with no evidence of synergism. ..
- De Caterina R, BrÃ¼ggenjÃ¼rgen B, Darius H, KÃ¶hler S, Lucerna M, Pecen L, et al. Quality of life and patient satisfaction in patients with atrial fibrillation on stable vitamin K antagonist treatment or switched to a non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulant during a 1-year follow-up: A PREFER in AF Registry substudy. Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2018;111:74-84 pubmed publisher..Complaints about bruising or bleeding, dissatisfaction with treatment, mobility problems and anxiety/depression traits appear to be related to -Â and may have influencedÂ - the choice to switch from a VKA to a NOAC. ..
- Madonna R, Pandolfi A, Massaro M, Consoli A, De Caterina R. Insulin enhances vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression in human cultured endothelial cells through a pro-atherogenic pathway mediated by p38 mitogen-activated protein-kinase. Diabetologia. 2004;47:532-536 pubmed publisher..This could contribute to explaining the increased atherosclerosis occurring in subjects with hyperinsulinaemia, or in states of insulin resistance, which feature a defective PI3'-kinase pathway. ..
- De Caterina R, Talmud P, Merlini P, Foco L, Pastorino R, Altshuler D, et al. Strong association of the APOA5-1131T>C gene variant and early-onset acute myocardial infarction. Atherosclerosis. 2011;214:397-403 pubmed publisher..This raises the possibility that APOA5-1131T>C may affect the risk of early MI over and above effects mediated by triglycerides. ..
- Madonna R, Geng Y, Bolli R, Rokosh G, Ferdinandy P, Patterson C, et al. Co-activation of nuclear factor-?B and myocardin/serum response factor conveys the hypertrophy signal of high insulin levels in cardiac myoblasts. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:19585-98 pubmed publisher..Insulin potentiates TNF-? in inducing NF-?B and SRF/SRE activities. In hyperinsulinemic states, myocardin may act as a nuclear effector of insulin, promoting cardiac hypertrophy. ..