Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Messina
- Paterniti I, Campolo M, Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Siracusa R, Crupi R, et al. PPAR-? Modulates the Anti-Inflammatory Effect of Melatonin in the Secondary Events of Spinal Cord Injury. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:5973-5987 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that PPAR-? can contribute to the anti-inflammatory activity of melatonin in SCI. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Ayroldi E, Di Paola R, Agostini M, Mazzon E, Bruscoli S, et al. Role of glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor family gene (GITR) in collagen-induced arthritis. FASEB J. 2005;19:1253-65 pubmed..In conclusion, GITR plays a critical role in the immunological response against CII and in the development of CIA. ..
- Di Paola R, Impellizzeri D, Fusco R, Cordaro M, Siracusa R, Crupi R, et al. Ultramicronized palmitoylethanolamide (PEA-um(®)) in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Pharmacol Res. 2016;111:405-412 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that PEA-um(®) (3 and 10mg/kg) reduces the extent of lung inflammation in a mouse model of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Di Paola R, Ahmad A, Campolo M, Peli A, et al. Erratum to: Palmitoylethanolamide and luteolin ameliorate development of arthritis caused by injection of collagen type II in mice. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:101 pubmed
- Cuzzocrea S, Ronchetti S, Genovese T, Mazzon E, Agostini M, Di Paola R, et al. Genetic and pharmacological inhibition of GITR-GITRL interaction reduces chronic lung injury induced by bleomycin instillation. FASEB J. 2007;21:117-29 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that GITR-GITRL interaction plays an important role in the chronic lung injury induced by bleomycin in the mice. ..
- Crupi R, Cuzzocrea S. Neuroinflammation and Immunity: A New Pharmacological Target in Depression. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2016;15:464-76 pubmed..This review highlights the role of neuroinflammation and immunity in the pathophysiology of psychiatric disorders such as MDD. ..
- Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, D Amico R, Militi A, Oteri G, Wallace J, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of ATB-352, a H2S -releasing ketoprofen derivative, on lipopolysaccharide-induced periodontitis in rats. Pharmacol Res. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Treatment with ATB-352 at the dose of 20mg\kg, was able to reduce the inflammatory process associated with intragingival LPS injection and also had a positive effect on bone resorption and tissue damage. ..
- Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Siracusa R, Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, Inferrera A, et al. Effects of a co-micronized composite containing palmitoylethanolamide and polydatin in an experimental model of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:231-240 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, these results support the view that m(PEA/PLD) should be further studied as a potent candidate for the management of BPH. ..
- Fusco R, Gugliandolo E, Biundo F, Campolo M, Di Paola R, Cuzzocrea S. Inhibition of inflammasome activation improves lung acute injury induced by carrageenan in a mouse model of pleurisy. FASEB J. 2017;31:3497-3511 pubmed publisher..Fusco, R. Gugliandolo, E., Biundo, F., Campolo, M., Di Paola, R., Cuzzocrea, S. Inhibition of inflammasome activation improves lung acute injury induced by carrageenan in a mouse model of pleurisy. ..
- Di Paola R, Fusco R, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Britti D, Morittu V, et al. Adelmidrol, in combination with hyaluronic acid, displays increased anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects against monosodium iodoacetate-induced osteoarthritis in rats. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:291 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that the combination of hyaluronic acid and adelmidrol improves the signs of OA induced by MIA. ..
- Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Gugliandolo E, Siracusa R, Crupi R, Esposito E, et al. Adelmidrol, a Palmitoylethanolamide Analogue, as a New Pharmacological Treatment for the Management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Mol Pharmacol. 2016;90:549-561 pubmed....
- Esposito E, D I, G B, M C, R S, E G, et al. A new co-micronized composite containing palmitoylethanolamide and polydatin shows superior oral efficacy compared to their association in a rat paw model of carrageenan-induced inflammation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;782:107-18 pubmed publisher..This composite formulation approach opens a new therapeutic strategy for the development of novel non-narcotic anti-hyperalgesic agents. ..
- Cordaro M, Paterniti I, Siracusa R, Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. KU0063794, a Dual mTORC1 and mTORC2 Inhibitor, Reduces Neural Tissue Damage and Locomotor Impairment After Spinal Cord Injury in Mice. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:2415-2427 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, taken together our results denote that the administration of KU0063794 produced a neuroprotective function at the lesion site following SCI, representing a novel therapeutic approach after SCI. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Bruschetta G, Crupi R, Pascali J, Alfonsi D, et al. 2-pentadecyl-2-oxazoline: Identification in coffee, synthesis and activity in a rat model of carrageenan-induced hindpaw inflammation. Pharmacol Res. 2016;108:23-30 pubmed publisher..NAAA modulators like PEA-OXA may serve to maximize availability of NAEs (e.g. PEA) while providing for recycling of the NAE components for further resynthesis. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Di Paola R, Cordaro M, Gugliandolo E, Casili G, Morittu V, et al. Adelmidrol, a palmitoylethanolamide analogue, as a new pharmacological treatment for the management of acute and chronic inflammation. Biochem Pharmacol. 2016;119:27-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, in this study, we report that adelmidrol reduces the development of acute and chronic inflammation and could represent a novel therapeutic approach for inflammation and pain. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Bruscoli S, Crisafulli C, Mazzon E, Agostini M, Muià C, et al. Estrogen receptor antagonist fulvestrant (ICI 182,780) inhibits the anti-inflammatory effect of glucocorticoids. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;71:132-44 pubmed..In conclusion, these results suggest that the in vivo anti-inflammatory property of DEX is also related to the ER-alpha. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Genovese T, Crisafulli C, Min W, Di Paola R, et al. Role of poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase in the development of inflammatory bowel disease in mice. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;42:90-105 pubmed....
- Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, Biundo F, D Amico R, Benedetto F, Di Paola R, et al. Palmitoylethanolamide and Polydatin combination reduces inflammation and oxidative stress in vascular injury. Pharmacol Res. 2017;123:83-92 pubmed publisher..Our results clearly demonstrated that treatment with PEA/PLD 30mg/Kg is able to reduce vascular damage and attenuates the inflammatory process. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Nocentini G, Di Paola R, Agostini M, Mazzon E, Ronchetti S, et al. Proinflammatory role of glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor-related gene in acute lung inflammation. J Immunol. 2006;177:631-41 pubmed....
- Cuzzocrea S, Nocentini G, Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Ronchetti S, Genovese T, et al. Glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor family gene (GITR) knockout mice exhibit a resistance to splanchnic artery occlusion (SAO) shock. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;76:933-40 pubmed..Taken together, our results clearly demonstrate that GITR plays an important role in the ischemia and reperfusion injury and put forward the hypothesis that modulation of GITR expression may represent a novel and possible strategy. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Rossi A, Serraino I, Di Paola R, Dugo L, Genovese T, et al. 5-lipoxygenase knockout mice exhibit a resistance to acute pancreatitis induced by cerulein. Immunology. 2003;110:120-30 pubmed..These findings support the view that 5-LO plays an important, pro-inflammatory role in the acute pancreatitis caused by cerulein in mice. ..
- Campolo M, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. A Controlled Cortical Impact Preclinical Model of Traumatic Brain Injury. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1727:385-391 pubmed publisher..The CCI model is based on the use of an impact system that delivers a physical impact to the exposed dura of an animal. This chapter will describe in detail the electromagnetic CCI model of TBI in mice...
- Paterniti I, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Siracusa R, Bisignano C, Gugliandolo E, et al. The Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Potential of Pistachios (Pistacia vera L.) In Vitro and In Vivo. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..This may contribute toward a better understanding of the beneficial health effects associated with consumption of pistachios. ..
- Britti D, Crupi R, Impellizzeri D, Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, Schievano C, et al. A novel composite formulation of palmitoylethanolamide and quercetin decreases inflammation and relieves pain in inflammatory and osteoarthritic pain models. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:229 pubmed publisher..The translatability of these observations to canine and feline OA pain is currently under investigation. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Cortes U, Genovese T, Muià C, et al. PARG activity mediates intestinal injury induced by splanchnic artery occlusion and reperfusion. FASEB J. 2005;19:558-66 pubmed..These results suggest that PARG activity modulates the inflammatory response in ischemia/reperfusion and participates in end (target) organ damage under these conditions. ..
- Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Muià C, Genovese T, Menegazzi M, Zaffini R, et al. Green tea polyphenol extract attenuates lung injury in experimental model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy in mice. Respir Res. 2005;6:66 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that treatment with green tea extract exerts a protective effect and offers a novel therapeutic approach for the management of lung injury...
- Casili G, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. B-Cell Depletion with CD20 Antibodies as New Approach in the Treatment of Inflammatory and Immunological Events Associated with Spinal Cord Injury. Neurotherapeutics. 2016;13:880-894 pubmed publisher..This study increases the current knowledge that B-cell depletion is able to exert immunomodulating actions in damaged spinal cords. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Dugo L, Genovese T, Di Paola R, Ruggeri Z, et al. Inducible nitric oxide synthase mediates bone loss in ovariectomized mice. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1098-107 pubmed....
- Cuzzocrea S, Rossi A, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Genovese T, Muià C, et al. 5-Lipoxygenase modulates colitis through the regulation of adhesion molecule expression and neutrophil migration. Lab Invest. 2005;85:808-22 pubmed..Taken together, our results clearly demonstrate that 5-LO modulates neutrophil infiltration in experimental colitis through the expression of adhesion molecules. ..
- Cuzzocrea S. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors gamma ligands and ischemia and reperfusion injury. Vascul Pharmacol. 2004;41:187-95 pubmed..The potential utility of PPAR-gamma ligands in ischemia and reperfusion will be discussed in this review. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Peli A, Bonato A, Britti D, et al. The role of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPAR-alpha) in the regulation of acute inflammation. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;79:999-1010 pubmed..In conclusion, the increased inflammatory response observed in PPAR-alphaKO mice strongly suggests that a PPAR-alpha pathway modulates the degree of acute inflammation in the mice...
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Muià C, Crisafulli C, Dugo L, et al. Glycogen synthase kinase-3beta inhibition attenuates the degree of arthritis caused by type II collagen in the mouse. Clin Immunol. 2006;120:57-67 pubmed..These data demonstrate that GSK-3beta inhibition exerts an anti-inflammatory effect during chronic inflammation and is able to ameliorate the tissue damage associated with CIA. ..
- Paterniti I, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. An In Vivo Compression Model of Spinal Cord Injury. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1727:379-384 pubmed publisher..The method described here is a mouse compression model of SCI that, in many respects, faithfully reproduces SCI in man...
- Crupi R, Di Paola R, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion by an Intraluminal Suture Method. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1727:393-401 pubmed publisher..Although the restored blood flow is unlike the pathophysiology of spontaneous human stroke, it more closely mimics the therapeutic state of mechanical thrombectomy which is increasingly being applied to patients with stroke...
- Esposito E, Impellizzeri D, Mazzon E, Fakhfouri G, Rahimian R, Travelli C, et al. The NAMPT inhibitor FK866 reverts the damage in spinal cord injury. J Neuroinflammation. 2012;9:66 pubmed publisher..Given the role of inflammatory responses in spinal cord injury (SCI), the effect of NAMPT inhibitors was examined in this setting...