Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Messina
- Paterniti I, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. Phosphodiesterase as a new therapeutic target for the treatment of spinal cord injury and neurodegenerative diseases. Curr Med Chem. 2014;21:2830-8 pubmed..In this article, we review the current state of art of PDEs in the CNS diseases associated with neuroinflammation. ..
- Ostardo E, Impellizzeri D, Cervigni M, Porru D, Sommariva M, Cordaro M, et al. Adelmidrol + sodium hyaluronate in IC/BPS or conditions associated to chronic urothelial inflammation. A translational study. Pharmacol Res. 2018;134:16-30 pubmed publisher..Vessilen® could be a new therapeutic approach for human cystitis. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Bruschetta G, Cordaro M, Crupi R, Siracusa R, Esposito E, et al. Micronized/ultramicronized palmitoylethanolamide displays superior oral efficacy compared to nonmicronized palmitoylethanolamide in a rat model of inflammatory pain. J Neuroinflammation. 2014;11:136 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate the superior anti-inflammatory action exerted by orally administered, micronized PEA-m and ultramicronized PEA-um, versus that of nonmicronized PeaPure, in the rat paw carrageenan model of inflammatory pain. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Rossi A, Serraino I, Di Paola R, Dugo L, Genovese T, et al. Role of 5-lipoxygenase in the multiple organ failure induced by zymosan. Intensive Care Med. 2004;30:1935-43 pubmed..Zymosan-treated 5-LOKO showed also a significantly decreased mortality. These findings clearly demonstrate that 5-LO exerts a role in zymosan-induced nonseptic shock. ..
- Paterniti I, Di Paola R, Campolo M, Siracusa R, Cordaro M, Bruschetta G, et al. Palmitoylethanolamide treatment reduces retinal inflammation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2015;769:313-23 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study provides the first evidence that PEA attenuates the degree of inflammation while preserving the blood-retinal barrier in rats with experimental DR. ..
- Cordaro M, Siracusa R, Crupi R, Impellizzeri D, Peritore A, D Amico R, et al. 2-Pentadecyl-2-Oxazoline Reduces Neuroinflammatory Environment in the MPTP Model of Parkinson Disease. Mol Neurobiol. 2018;55:9251-9266 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, pharmacological activation of nuclear factor E2-related factor 2 pathways with PEA-OXA may be effective in the future therapy of PD. ..
- Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Bruschetta G, Siracusa R, Crupi R, Di Paola R, et al. A novel protective formulation of Palmitoylethanolamide in experimental model of contrast agent induced nephropathy. Toxicol Lett. 2016;240:10-21 pubmed publisher..Take together our results demonstrated that PEA-um(Â®) are able to preventing CIN in diabetic rats and alteration of biochemical parameters after nephrectomy. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Bruschetta G, Ahmad A, Crupi R, Siracusa R, Di Paola R, et al. Effects of palmitoylethanolamide and silymarin combination treatment in an animal model of kidney ischemia and reperfusion. Eur J Pharmacol. 2015;762:136-49 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NF-ÎºB and apoptosis pathways were also significantly inhibited. Our results clearly demonstrate that PEA+silymarin treatment attenuated the degree of renal inflammation. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Pisano B, Dugo L, Ianaro A, Maffia P, Patel N, et al. Rosiglitazone, a ligand of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma, reduces acute inflammation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004;483:79-93 pubmed..We propose that rosiglitazone and other potent PPAR-gamma agonists may be useful in the therapy of inflammation. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Bruscoli S, Mazzon E, Crisafulli C, Donato V, Di Paola R, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha contributes to the anti-inflammatory activity of glucocorticoids. Mol Pharmacol. 2008;73:323-37 pubmed..These results indicate that PPAR-alpha can contribute to the anti-inflammatory activity of GCs. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Bruschetta G, Di Paola R, Ahmad A, Campolo M, Cuzzocrea S, et al. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of bergamot juice extract (BJe) in an experimental model of inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Nutr. 2015;34:1146-54 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggested that administration of BJe induced, partly specified, anti-inflammatory mechanisms, which potentially may be beneficial for the treatment of IBD in humans. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Wayman N, Mazzon E, Dugo L, Di Paola R, Serraino I, et al. The cyclopentenone prostaglandin 15-deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin J(2) attenuates the development of acute and chronic inflammation. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;61:997-1007 pubmed..Thus, 15d-PGJ(2) reduces the development of acute and chronic inflammation. Therefore, the cyclopentenone prostaglandin 15d-PGJ(2) may be useful in the therapy of acute and chronic inflammation. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Ahmad A, Bruschetta G, Di Paola R, Crupi R, Paterniti I, et al. The anti-inflammatory effects of palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) on endotoxin-induced uveitis in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2015;761:28-35 pubmed publisher..PEA strongly inhibited iNOS expression and nuclear NF-ÎºB translocation. Thus, in this study we demonstrated that PEA reduces the degree of ocular inflammation in a rat model of EIU. ..
- Caltagirone C, Cisari C, Schievano C, Di Paola R, Cordaro M, Bruschetta G, et al. Co-ultramicronized Palmitoylethanolamide/Luteolin in the Treatment of Cerebral Ischemia: from Rodent to Man. Transl Stroke Res. 2016;7:54-69 pubmed publisher..Further, controlled trials are warranted to confirm the utility of co-ultraPEALut to improve clinical outcome in human stroke. ..
- Mondello P, Cuzzocrea S, Mian M. Pim kinases in hematological malignancies: where are we now and where are we going?. J Hematol Oncol. 2014;7:95 pubmed publisher..Herein, we provide an overview of the biological activity of PIM-kinases, their role in hematologic malignancies and future therapeutic opportunities. ..
- Campolo M, Esposito E, Ahmad A, Di Paola R, Paterniti I, Cordaro M, et al. Hydrogen sulfide-releasing cyclooxygenase inhibitor ATB-346 enhances motor function and reduces cortical lesion volume following traumatic brain injury in mice. J Neuroinflammation. 2014;11:196 pubmed publisher..Therefore, ATB-346 could represent an interesting approach for the management of secondary damage following CNS diseases, counteracting behavioral changes and inflammatory process. ..
- Crupi R, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Siracusa R, Casili G, Evangelista M, et al. N-palmitoylethanolamide Prevents Parkinsonian Phenotypes in Aged Mice. Mol Neurobiol. 2018;55:8455-8472 pubmed publisher..Moreover, PEAm reduced proinflammatory cytokine expression and showed a pro-neurogenic effect in hippocampus. These findings propose this strategy as a valid approach to prevent neurodegenerative diseases associated with old age. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Pisano B, Dugo L, Ianaro A, Patel N, Caputi A, et al. Tempol reduces the activation of nuclear factor-kappaB in acute inflammation. Free Radic Res. 2004;38:813-9 pubmed..These data confirm that Tempol exerts potent anti-inflammatory properties and clearly demonstrates for the first time that Tempol reduces the activation of NF-kappaB in vivo. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Ayroldi E, Di Paola R, Agostini M, Mazzon E, Bruscoli S, et al. Role of glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor family gene (GITR) in collagen-induced arthritis. FASEB J. 2005;19:1253-65 pubmed..In conclusion, GITR plays a critical role in the immunological response against CII and in the development of CIA. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Ronchetti S, Genovese T, Mazzon E, Agostini M, Di Paola R, et al. Genetic and pharmacological inhibition of GITR-GITRL interaction reduces chronic lung injury induced by bleomycin instillation. FASEB J. 2007;21:117-29 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that GITR-GITRL interaction plays an important role in the chronic lung injury induced by bleomycin in the mice. ..
- Crupi R, Cuzzocrea S. Neuroinflammation and Immunity: A New Pharmacological Target in Depression. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2016;15:464-76 pubmed..This review highlights the role of neuroinflammation and immunity in the pathophysiology of psychiatric disorders such as MDD. ..
- Paterniti I, Campolo M, Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Siracusa R, Crupi R, et al. PPAR-? Modulates the Anti-Inflammatory Effect of Melatonin in the Secondary Events of Spinal Cord Injury. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:5973-5987 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that PPAR-? can contribute to the anti-inflammatory activity of melatonin in SCI. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Di Paola R, Ahmad A, Campolo M, Peli A, et al. Erratum to: Palmitoylethanolamide and luteolin ameliorate development of arthritis caused by injection of collagen type II in mice. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:101 pubmed
- Di Paola R, Impellizzeri D, Fusco R, Cordaro M, Siracusa R, Crupi R, et al. Ultramicronized palmitoylethanolamide (PEA-um(Â®)) in the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Pharmacol Res. 2016;111:405-412 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that PEA-um(Â®) (3 and 10mg/kg) reduces the extent of lung inflammation in a mouse model of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Fusco R, Gugliandolo E, Biundo F, Campolo M, Di Paola R, Cuzzocrea S. Inhibition of inflammasome activation improves lung acute injury induced by carrageenan in a mouse model of pleurisy. FASEB J. 2017;31:3497-3511 pubmed publisher..Fusco, R. Gugliandolo, E., Biundo, F., Campolo, M., Di Paola, R., Cuzzocrea, S. Inhibition of inflammasome activation improves lung acute injury induced by carrageenan in a mouse model of pleurisy. ..
- Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, D Amico R, Militi A, Oteri G, Wallace J, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of ATB-352, a H2S -releasing ketoprofen derivative, on lipopolysaccharide-induced periodontitis in rats. Pharmacol Res. 2018;132:220-231 pubmed publisher..Treatment with ATB-352 at the dose of 20mg\kg, was able to reduce the inflammatory process associated with intragingival LPS injection and also had a positive effect on bone resorption and tissue damage. ..
- Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Siracusa R, Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, Inferrera A, et al. Effects of a co-micronized composite containing palmitoylethanolamide and polydatin in an experimental model of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:231-240 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, these results support the view that m(PEA/PLD) should be further studied as a potent candidate for the management of BPH. ..
- Di Paola R, Fusco R, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Britti D, Morittu V, et al. Adelmidrol, in combination with hyaluronic acid, displays increased anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects against monosodium iodoacetate-induced osteoarthritis in rats. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:291 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that the combination of hyaluronic acid and adelmidrol improves the signs of OA induced by MIA. ..
- Cordaro M, Impellizzeri D, Gugliandolo E, Siracusa R, Crupi R, Esposito E, et al. Adelmidrol, a Palmitoylethanolamide Analogue, as a New Pharmacological Treatment for the Management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Mol Pharmacol. 2016;90:549-561 pubmed
- Esposito E, D I, G B, M C, R S, E G, et al. A new co-micronized composite containing palmitoylethanolamide and polydatin shows superior oral efficacy compared to their association in a rat paw model of carrageenan-induced inflammation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2016;782:107-18 pubmed publisher..This composite formulation approach opens a new therapeutic strategy for the development of novel non-narcotic anti-hyperalgesic agents. ..
- Cordaro M, Paterniti I, Siracusa R, Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. KU0063794, a Dual mTORC1 and mTORC2 Inhibitor, Reduces Neural Tissue Damage and Locomotor Impairment After Spinal Cord Injury in Mice. Mol Neurobiol. 2017;54:2415-2427 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, taken together our results denote that the administration of KU0063794 produced a neuroprotective function at the lesion site following SCI, representing a novel therapeutic approach after SCI. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Di Paola R, Cordaro M, Gugliandolo E, Casili G, Morittu V, et al. Adelmidrol, a palmitoylethanolamide analogue, as a new pharmacological treatment for the management of acute and chronic inflammation. Biochem Pharmacol. 2016;119:27-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, in this study, we report that adelmidrol reduces the development of acute and chronic inflammation and could represent a novel therapeutic approach for inflammation and pain. ..
- Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Bruschetta G, Crupi R, Pascali J, Alfonsi D, et al. 2-pentadecyl-2-oxazoline: Identification in coffee, synthesis and activity in a rat model of carrageenan-induced hindpaw inflammation. Pharmacol Res. 2016;108:23-30 pubmed publisher..NAAA modulators like PEA-OXA may serve to maximize availability of NAEs (e.g. PEA) while providing for recycling of the NAE components for further resynthesis. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Bruscoli S, Crisafulli C, Mazzon E, Agostini M, Muià C, et al. Estrogen receptor antagonist fulvestrant (ICI 182,780) inhibits the anti-inflammatory effect of glucocorticoids. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;71:132-44 pubmed..In conclusion, these results suggest that the in vivo anti-inflammatory property of DEX is also related to the ER-alpha. ..
- Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, Biundo F, D Amico R, Benedetto F, Di Paola R, et al. Palmitoylethanolamide and Polydatin combination reduces inflammation and oxidative stress in vascular injury. Pharmacol Res. 2017;123:83-92 pubmed publisher..Our results clearly demonstrated that treatment with PEA/PLD 30mg/Kg is able to reduce vascular damage and attenuates the inflammatory process. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Genovese T, Crisafulli C, Min W, Di Paola R, et al. Role of poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase in the development of inflammatory bowel disease in mice. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;42:90-105 pubmed
- Cuzzocrea S, Nocentini G, Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Ronchetti S, Genovese T, et al. Glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor family gene (GITR) knockout mice exhibit a resistance to splanchnic artery occlusion (SAO) shock. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;76:933-40 pubmed..Taken together, our results clearly demonstrate that GITR plays an important role in the ischemia and reperfusion injury and put forward the hypothesis that modulation of GITR expression may represent a novel and possible strategy. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Nocentini G, Di Paola R, Agostini M, Mazzon E, Ronchetti S, et al. Proinflammatory role of glucocorticoid-induced TNF receptor-related gene in acute lung inflammation. J Immunol. 2006;177:631-41 pubmed
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Dugo L, Genovese T, Di Paola R, Ruggeri Z, et al. Inducible nitric oxide synthase mediates bone loss in ovariectomized mice. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1098-107 pubmed
- Cuzzocrea S, Rossi A, Serraino I, Di Paola R, Dugo L, Genovese T, et al. 5-lipoxygenase knockout mice exhibit a resistance to acute pancreatitis induced by cerulein. Immunology. 2003;110:120-30 pubmed..These findings support the view that 5-LO plays an important, pro-inflammatory role in the acute pancreatitis caused by cerulein in mice. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Cortes U, Genovese T, Muià C, et al. PARG activity mediates intestinal injury induced by splanchnic artery occlusion and reperfusion. FASEB J. 2005;19:558-66 pubmed..These results suggest that PARG activity modulates the inflammatory response in ischemia/reperfusion and participates in end (target) organ damage under these conditions. ..
- Di Paola R, Mazzon E, Muià C, Genovese T, Menegazzi M, Zaffini R, et al. Green tea polyphenol extract attenuates lung injury in experimental model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy in mice. Respir Res. 2005;6:66 pubmed..Our results clearly demonstrate that treatment with green tea extract exerts a protective effect and offers a novel therapeutic approach for the management of lung injury...
- Campolo M, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. A Controlled Cortical Impact Preclinical Model of Traumatic Brain Injury. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1727:385-391 pubmed publisher..The CCI model is based on the use of an impact system that delivers a physical impact to the exposed dura of an animal. This chapter will describe in detail the electromagnetic CCI model of TBI in mice. ..
- Paterniti I, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Siracusa R, Bisignano C, Gugliandolo E, et al. The Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Potential of Pistachios (Pistacia vera L.) In Vitro and In Vivo. Nutrients. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..This may contribute toward a better understanding of the beneficial health effects associated with consumption of pistachios. ..
- Britti D, Crupi R, Impellizzeri D, Gugliandolo E, Fusco R, Schievano C, et al. A novel composite formulation of palmitoylethanolamide and quercetin decreases inflammation and relieves pain in inflammatory and osteoarthritic pain models. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:229 pubmed publisher..The translatability of these observations to canine and feline OA pain is currently under investigation. ..
- Casili G, Impellizzeri D, Cordaro M, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. B-Cell Depletion with CD20 Antibodies as New Approach in the Treatment of Inflammatory and Immunological Events Associated with Spinal Cord Injury. Neurotherapeutics. 2016;13:880-894 pubmed publisher..This study increases the current knowledge that B-cell depletion is able to exert immunomodulating actions in damaged spinal cords. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Peli A, Bonato A, Britti D, et al. The role of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha (PPAR-alpha) in the regulation of acute inflammation. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;79:999-1010 pubmed..In conclusion, the increased inflammatory response observed in PPAR-alphaKO mice strongly suggests that a PPAR-alpha pathway modulates the degree of acute inflammation in the mice...
- Paterniti I, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. An In Vivo Compression Model of Spinal Cord Injury. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1727:379-384 pubmed publisher..The method described here is a mouse compression model of SCI that, in many respects, faithfully reproduces SCI in man. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Rossi A, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Genovese T, Muià C, et al. 5-Lipoxygenase modulates colitis through the regulation of adhesion molecule expression and neutrophil migration. Lab Invest. 2005;85:808-22 pubmed..Taken together, our results clearly demonstrate that 5-LO modulates neutrophil infiltration in experimental colitis through the expression of adhesion molecules. ..
- Cuzzocrea S. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors gamma ligands and ischemia and reperfusion injury. Vascul Pharmacol. 2004;41:187-95 pubmed..The potential utility of PPAR-gamma ligands in ischemia and reperfusion will be discussed in this review. ..
- Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Di Paola R, Muià C, Crisafulli C, Dugo L, et al. Glycogen synthase kinase-3beta inhibition attenuates the degree of arthritis caused by type II collagen in the mouse. Clin Immunol. 2006;120:57-67 pubmed..These data demonstrate that GSK-3beta inhibition exerts an anti-inflammatory effect during chronic inflammation and is able to ameliorate the tissue damage associated with CIA. ..
- Crupi R, Di Paola R, Esposito E, Cuzzocrea S. Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion by an Intraluminal Suture Method. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1727:393-401 pubmed publisher..Although the restored blood flow is unlike the pathophysiology of spontaneous human stroke, it more closely mimics the therapeutic state of mechanical thrombectomy which is increasingly being applied to patients with stroke. ..
- Esposito E, Impellizzeri D, Mazzon E, Fakhfouri G, Rahimian R, Travelli C, et al. The NAMPT inhibitor FK866 reverts the damage in spinal cord injury. J Neuroinflammation. 2012;9:66 pubmed publisher..Given the role of inflammatory responses in spinal cord injury (SCI), the effect of NAMPT inhibitors was examined in this setting...